PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Hockey team featured on WCHA poster

Tatanka
03-19-2006, 06:37 PM
OK, the over/under on when this thread moves to smack is 2 hours. But props to the NDSU hockey team for making the wcha finals, or at least being featured on their poster... ;D ;D ;D ;D
http://siouxsports.com/galleries/101/ndsu.jpg

IowaBison
03-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Can one buy a copy?

I'd love one for my office.

dakotadan
03-19-2006, 08:32 PM
As a Sioux fan I would just like to congratulate the Bison on a great season so far and wish you good luck in the West Regionals. You're team is really starting to come together at the right time!!

;)

SDbison
03-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Did the poster actually mistakenly label the team as North Dakota State or does someone have some good photoshop skills? If true, kind of funny how stuff like this still gets screwed up. Shouldn't happen much longer though as the media will soon recognize the real DI university is North Dakota State! ;D

Bisonguy
03-19-2006, 09:08 PM
That's a pretty good accomplishment for only being a club team.

Bigears
03-19-2006, 09:23 PM
You know it's remarkable how often people make that mistake. It happened at the Metrodome when Jim Kleinsasser was first introduced with the offensive starters. The announcer had to be looking at a roster that clearly said "UND" or "North Dakota", yet "North Dakota State" came out of his mouth. I'm definitely biased, but I really don't remember hearing the mistake made the other way nearly as often - NDSU is almost never referred to as UND or North Dakota.

roadwarrior
03-19-2006, 10:12 PM
When UND played in the national championship football game a few years back in Florence AL, there was a name mixup also with I think sideline passes printed with North Dakota State on them.

MplsBison
03-19-2006, 11:48 PM
NDSU is not called UND that I can remember but simply called "North Dakota" a lot. I'd associate that with UND.

Rodentia
03-20-2006, 01:46 AM
That would be sweet to have a copy of that poster. I suppose they will scramble to replace them all as fast as they can...

lakesbison
03-20-2006, 05:28 AM
I always wanted NDSU to be in WCHA !!
f
gimme one of those!!! Ill pay TOP DOLLA!!!

wait.. it is the pic of the losers from up north.. soo.. make that 3, 4 dolla..

I can superimpose the NDSU football team pic maybe..

tcbison
03-20-2006, 02:07 PM
I got to see these posters at the X this weekend. Everyone was talking about it. The WCHA handed out some 5,000 at the X for the 3rd and 4th place game. I never did get may hands on one though. :'(

The real funny thing is that they had some members of the 1972 Olympic hockey team that were giving autographs before the 3rd/4th place game. Almost everyone that got autographs had one of these posters to be signed.

sambini
03-20-2006, 04:02 PM
I wonder if the proof reader still has a job?

Paulie
03-20-2006, 04:13 PM
That is pretty funny. I think the mix ups happen both ways. Let's face it, North Dakota is 49th in population of the 50 states so not much is known once you get outside the region. A poster like this was probably made by some PR firm in New York. Look at the X-Box thread, of the two NDSU screen shots one is titled North Dakota, also, I remember that football game from '04 that was on Fox Sports against UNC, the annoucer called NDSU "North Dakota" about 2/3 of the time.

BisonBacker
03-20-2006, 04:14 PM
As I posted in another thread I think this goes to prove one thing. The sue fans love to come on here and tell us how big hockey is or how well followed it is. Well for such a well followed sport even the folks who printed it don't know who's in it or even care. If it was so well followed and people cared about hockey like they want you to believe up north this would never had happened. As it is it just proves once again that people outside of the hockey circle don't give a crap or even know who the sioux are.

WYOBISONMAN
03-20-2006, 04:54 PM
I wonder if they will fire the proof reader for that one......what a hell of a screw up!

mikelsch
03-20-2006, 05:39 PM
It's just hockey. No one probably noticed the error except Bison and Sioux fans. I would doubt anyone would lose their job.

IowaBison
03-20-2006, 05:47 PM
As I Bison, I don't consider it a misnomer to have the team referred to as North Dakota, that's where we're from.

Now if we were referred to as the University of North Dakota, UND, or the Fighting Sioux, I'd give a hoot.

DenverBison05
03-20-2006, 05:50 PM
I have to agree. *When there's only one DI school from North Dakota, announcers should be given a little slack when they call us North Dakota.

IowaBison
03-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Personally, I don't understand what the huge deal is with the poster.

It's a screwup, no doubt, but one would think people had died with the response that some have made.

MplsBison
03-21-2006, 01:30 AM
As I Bison, I don't consider it a misnomer to have the team referred to as North Dakota, that's where we're from.

Would Iowa State fans be offended if they were called Iowa?

broke_back_mnt
03-21-2006, 02:18 AM
I feel kind of bad for them. After all hockey is the big deal and they can barely afford that, now they have this happen. To be reminded how well things are going for us in such a rude and unexpected manner is kind of low blow for them. But hey, they are the hosts and actually are responsible for all the promotion.

BisonBacker
03-21-2006, 03:36 AM
+++++++++++

IowaBison
03-21-2006, 04:06 AM
Would Iowa State fans be offended if they were called Iowa?

If you watch many of their games, you will occasionally hear the team from Ames being referred to as Iowa.

It's not precise, but people know what the announcer is speaking about. It's not the end of the world.