PDA

View Full Version : The Preakness

MinotBison
05-21-2006, 05:12 AM
Did anyone with a veterinarian or equine background see the Preakness on Saturday? That was sad to see what happened to Barbaro, who suffered a fracture above and below his right rear ankle.
They are going to try surgery, but my guess is (and I hope I am wrong) that it will be very difficult to save the horse.
I saw something like this happen on the front stretch at Santa Anita one day, and it is a very disturbing thing to watch.

NDFAN2
05-22-2006, 06:32 PM
If anything, it's getting a lot of national news coverage. *

MinotBison
05-22-2006, 10:48 PM
On TV today, they had the x-rays of his leg after surgery. It looked like he had something like 20 or so screws in his leg, and infection is still a big concern.

However, the doctors said he is already showing an "interest" :-* in the fillies that are in the barn where he is. ;D ;D ;D

broke_back_mnt
05-22-2006, 11:33 PM
I heard the Vet after the race say they had to get Barbaro calmed down. *He was still primed to run the race. *So they sedated him. *He said the injury was career threatening/ending, but did not threaten his life.

What a great horse Barbaro was set to be! *Speculation had it one of the strongest horses in decades. *It was a tragic race. *The Vet added he didn't think the false start caused it, but Im not so sure? *

He was limping after he stumbled out of the gate on the false start. *He hit his right knee on the gate busting out. *

It was really a dramatic moment in sports. *A big disappointment for those of us that thought we might be seeing a Triple Crown Horse. *

Barbaro is a great horse. *Expectations unfullfilled but a great horse none-the-less. *Im giving him the benefit of the doubt. *

MinotBison
05-23-2006, 04:03 AM
If he had been a cheap claiming horse, they would have put him down right on the spot. That he is up and about after such a serious injury is a testimony to his quality.

I sincerely think he would have won the Triple Crown this year, but obviously we will never know. Best of luck to him, and here's wishing a speedy recovery.