PDA

View Full Version : Steel Bridge competition

roadwarrior
06-15-2006, 10:29 PM
A team of seven North Dakota State University civil engineering students won the 15th annual National Student Steel Bridge competition held May 27 at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.
NDSU is the only school in the nation to win the competition more than once, with previous championships in 1995, 2002 and 2004.
The winning bridge was approximately 22 feet long and 5 feet, 6 inches tall at its highest point. Weighing only 187 pounds itself, the bridge was required to carry a load of 2,500 pounds.
The team consisted of students Nathan Hoffman, Bruan Lintgen, Ben Kuisle, Mike Lawrence, Eric Fosmo, Dave Adams and Scott Harpole, members of the NDSU chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers.

sambini
06-16-2006, 06:18 AM
CONGRATS +++++++++++++

Bison_Dan
06-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Who were some of the other schools?

WYOBISONMAN
06-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey! That is GREAT for NDSU!! Congrats to a darn bright bunch of students making us old guys proud!!

Bisonguy
06-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Who were some of the other schools?

Here's the link to the scoring by category- http://www.steelbridge2006.com/event/nsbc2006results.pdf

Some of the schools- Cal, Cal-Poly, UC-Davis, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan State, Delaware.

Is this the competition where UC-Davis previously stated (paraphrased)"It's great that we're able to compete against engineering powerhouses, such as North Dakota State"?

roadwarrior
06-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Great job! There were 45 entries in the contest. NDSU finished no lower than 7th place in any of the categories judged.

kchats
06-17-2006, 04:07 AM
NDSU has done great in the Steel Bridge Competition since they started participating. We did not participate when I attended. We spent our time on the concrete canoe race in Manhattan, Kansas at Kansas State University. We did better with the partying than the racing. ;)

CEBison
06-27-2006, 12:32 AM
For those of you who would like to know. The NDSU Steel bridge team also goes up against some schools close to home. The Midwest Regional Steel Bridge Competition hosts schools such as University of Minnesota, University of Iowa, Iowa State University, South Dakota State University, University of Minnesota-Mankato, University of Wisconsin-Platteville, Lakehead University, and that place to the north, UND.

Just thought you would like to know!!!

BisonCardinal
07-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Does NDSU give Bridge Scholarships? ;D

My 8th grade son built a popsicle bridge that supported at least 900 lbs! The instructor had some members of the middle school football team stand on the bridge to make it break. They literally ran out of foot space and it still didn't break! My son apparently took my advice(NDSU econ major) that I got from my (NDSU engineering major)brother that there is strength in triangles!!!.

Kind of cool that my son received the Science and Technology Award out of about 140 students because of it.

NanoBison
07-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Sounds like the kid would be perfect for NDSU Engineering. I remember in High School making a ToothPick Bridge that was able to hold 150lbs on it. (It was only 12 inches in length and 2 inches wide, very small structure.) I used an arch with triangles for the joints and it stood better than everyone elses.