PDA

View Full Version : Hockey's Popularity

Bisonbkr
05-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Here's an interesting read that sheds some light on how folks outside of hockey country view the sport.

COMMENTARY: The cold, truth -- Most don't care about hockey
By Mike Bianchi
The Orlando Sentinel
ORLANDO, Fla. -
Believe me, I understand you don't want to read about hockey because neither do I. Which is why I'm writing this column - as a public service to the zillions of non-hockey fans out there who want to know this: Why are there still hockey stories in my newspaper when 99.999 percent of readers couldn't tell you a hat trick from a hat rack.
Have you seen the national TV ratings for the NHL this season? If not, here are just a few shows getting more viewership than hockey: 1. XFL reruns; 2. PBS special on the mating habits of the Madagascan burrowing frog; 3. Gary Shandling Uncensored.
Actually, it's not that bad.
It's worse.
The NHL regular-season games on the Outdoor Life Network averaged an indiscernible 0.2 national rating (about 164,000 households). That's fewer viewers than one station in Orlando (WESH) drew for the Kentucky Derby.
In casual conversation with a few friends the other night, we talked about the NBA playoffs. We talked about Shaq and the Heat. We talked about Kobe and the Lakers. We argued whether the Pistons could beat the Spurs. Then, out of the blue, one of my buddies asked, "Are you guys watching any of the NHL playoffs?"
We looked at him as if he were a three-headed Martian who'd just asked, "Hey, do you guys wanna take a ride in my new spaceship?"
The NHL playoff ratings are an embarrassment. The New Jersey-Carolina game on NBC Saturday drew a 1.1 rating, less than the 1.2 number drawn by taped coverage of the NCAA women's gymnastics championships.
On Sunday, the playoff game between Colorado and Anaheim drew a 0.9 rating and attracted less than a million viewers across the country. NBC drew an identical 0.9 rating for its last regular-season Arena League telecast between the Colorado Crush and the Kansas City Brigade. Translation: Regular-season Arena games are just as popular as NHL playoff games.
Why is it then that the NHL still gets treated as a "major" sport by many media outlets and Arena Football, the WNBA and Major League Soccer are treated as "fringe" sports. Why is it that ESPN still runs hockey highlights on SportsCenter and most newspapers still run hockey roundups and box scores?
Is it because most of the network executives and sports editors in this country are from an era when hockey still mattered? Let's face it, hockey has become one of those newspaper traditions that has outlived its relevance - sort of like Dear Abby and the pica pole.
"There seems to be a mentality by some media people that if the original Sporting News didn't cover it then it's not a real sport," says Dan Pearson, a spokesperson for the Orlando Predators of the Arena League.
I realize this column is likely going to anger the hockey fans out there - all 12 of you. This is not meant as a knock on hockey as a sport, it's just an observation about the sport's relevance in today's crowded media marketplace.
Many hockey teams actually have a strong following in their home markets, which is why the sport makes more sense when televised regionally by cable sports outlets, such as Sun Sports. But as a sport with viable national appeal, hockey is as passe as Jordache jeans.
Remember when it was football, baseball, basketball and hockey.
Now hockey is buried so far beneath the surface of mainstream sports, not even a Madagascan burrowing frog could find.

lakesbison
05-16-2006, 05:29 AM
There would still be 19,500 at the Fargodome for about 6 series at the SNAP of a finger for NDSU HOCKEY!!!

at $20 a seat.. thats good money! for UND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, St Cloud, Duluth, Mankato...

02Bison
05-16-2006, 11:12 AM
There would still be 19,500 at the Fargodome for about 6 series at the SNAP of a finger for NDSU HOCKEY!!!

at $20 a seat.. thats good money! for UND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, St Cloud, Duluth, Mankato...

You are forgetting the expenses side of the equation....

broke_back_mnt
05-16-2006, 12:09 PM
I dont think hockey would draw that well.

roadwarrior
05-16-2006, 01:39 PM
First of all, there would not be 19,500 seats in the Fargodome for the hockey setup. Maybe 10-11,000 tops. The rink would be at the north end of the floor. Second, there is not that many hockey fans in the Fargo area that wouldnt already be watching the established local D-I team up north.

NDFAN2
05-16-2006, 02:44 PM
I think the writer of this article is right on the money from an entire United States perspective. Hockey is not widely followed. Also, part of the reason the NHL playoff TV ratings are so bad is that the games are shown on a network that isn't on many cable networks (Including mine!).

That being said, this is North Dakota/Minnesota/Canada, and in this region, hockey is a major sport. I don't know what the TV ratings are for the ND or MN high school hockey tournaments are, but they don't televise the volleyball or gymnastics state finals -for a reason >> Hint ($$).

So far, only 1 university in North Dakota has a D1 program, and it has a ton of history, tradition, and success. Could NDSU get into this sport? - Of Course! But they choose not to because they want to do it on the cheap! They want the city tax payers to build the arena first, and I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. I'd watch hockey in the Fargodome. I'd be a season ticket holder. But I'm not given the chance. So follow my NDSU money north.

IowaBison
05-16-2006, 02:49 PM
I
So far, only 1 university in North Dakota has a D1 program,

???

NDFAN2
05-16-2006, 02:50 PM
I
So far, only 1 university in North Dakota has a D1 program,

???

My apology - So far, only 1 university in North Dakota has a D1 hockey program.... ( I thought it was a given based on the title of the thread).

BisonMav
05-16-2006, 02:59 PM
In the Twin Cities, my hockey preference is:

1. Minnesota State High School Hockey Tourney
2. Minnesota Wild
3. Minnesota Gophers

tcbison
05-16-2006, 03:05 PM
In the Twin Cities, my hockey preference is:

1. Minnesota State High School Hockey Tourney
2. Minnesota Wild
3. Minnesota Gophers

I prefer the Wild because I get to go to all the games. Only been to a few Gopher games at Mariucci, and a couple at the X. Never been to the Minnesota State High School Tourney.

Green-N-Gold
05-16-2006, 03:15 PM
I think the writer of this article is right on the money from an entire United States perspective. *Hockey is not widely followed. *

As a Sue fan, you are in the minority as most think hockey is bigger than BB and some even bigger than FB.

zeke824
05-16-2006, 04:15 PM
In my opinion, Hockey is a major sport in Minnesota. That said though, it is a conglomeration of niches (sum of High School - the majority, college and Pro). I am a Gophs fan first, then high school, then Wild. I have talked at length with lots of fans, and most I have found are a die in the wool fan of one "niche" only. I get to lots of high school, some junior, one or two gophs, and almost no wild games.

I don't believe ND has the fan base to support two college DI teams. Outside of high school (where only the big city schools have teams), the casual ND fan is a UND fan for college if they follow NCAA Hockey at all. Now that is not saying that NDSU could get a fan base over time, but its a question of market size. To the East is Minnesota and Wisc that have all but 3 WCHA teams, and numerous lower tier DI and DIII programs. To the north is Canada, who think that college hockey is a joke. To the south, we are getting out of the core market area (SD, IA, and southward do not seem (I am generalizing) to have much of a taste for the sport). To the west, is UND (to an extent) and then the Colorado schools. Therefore, to start NDSU is restricted to Bison fans who have a liking to hockey. I would be one of them, and would support the program if that is what the administration decided to do.

Finally, there are other issues that need to be addressed first. Conference affiliation (hopefully that is taken care of soon), a facility which would have to be privately funded given past referendum history in Fargo, and compliance issues.

The facility is the hardest in my opinion. It would have to be privately funded since the citizens have stated no rather loudly at least twice on the issue. That leaves either one big contributor (Microsoft) or a bunch of smaller interests.

I would rather see the area support a junior team with a better facility first.

Anybody, how do the Jets draw in that old arena next to North HS?

kchats
05-17-2006, 03:48 AM
I think the writer of this article is right on the money from an entire United States perspective. *Hockey is not widely followed. *Also, part of the reason the NHL playoff TV ratings are so bad is that the games are shown on a network that isn't on many cable networks (Including mine!).

That being said, this is North Dakota/Minnesota/Canada, and in this region, hockey is a major sport. *I don't know what the TV ratings are for the ND or MN high school hockey tournaments are, but they don't televise the volleyball or gymnastics state finals -for a reason >> Hint ($$). *

So far, only 1 university in North Dakota has a D1 program, and it has a ton of history, tradition, and success. *Could NDSU get into this sport? - Of Course! *But they choose not to because they want to do it on the cheap! *They want the city tax payers to build the arena first, and I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. *I'd watch hockey in the Fargodome. *I'd be a *season ticket holder. *But I'm not given the chance. *So follow my NDSU money north.

Let's see NDSU has moved its entire athletic department to division I and you accuse NDSU of doing things on the cheap. Get real. NDSU has a very large athletic budget that is right in line with their new peer institutions that are also division I-AA in football and division I in all other sports. Trying to do things on the cheap would be sending an outrageous "Modest Proposal" to the NCAA asking for an exemption from NCAA rules and regulations so that your school can play the sports it chooses at the division I level and then fund the others at the division III level. Now that is cheap. >:(

IowaBisonToo
05-17-2006, 01:25 PM
I think the writer of this article is right on the money from an entire United States perspective. *Hockey is not widely followed. *Also, part of the reason the NHL playoff TV ratings are so bad is that the games are shown on a network that isn't on many cable networks (Including mine!).

That being said, this is North Dakota/Minnesota/Canada, and in this region, hockey is a major sport. *I don't know what the TV ratings are for the ND or MN high school hockey tournaments are, but they don't televise the volleyball or gymnastics state finals -for a reason >> Hint ($$). *

So far, only 1 university in North Dakota has a D1 program, and it has a ton of history, tradition, and success. *Could NDSU get into this sport? - Of Course! *But they choose not to because they want to do it on the cheap! *They want the city tax payers to build the arena first, and I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. *I'd watch hockey in the Fargodome. *I'd be a *season ticket holder. *But I'm not given the chance. *So follow my NDSU money north.

Talk about doing things on the cheap, do you think und would have a new hockey arena if it weren't for their sugar daddy??? >:( No way in hell! They'd still be playing in that rusted out old arena with the nice green and white plastic seats. There's no way und alumni would dish out the jing to have built a new arena. The boosters can't even keep their own athletic budget in the black -- at a DII school where the big sports actually do bring in a lot of money mind you. Accuse NDSU of being cheap all you want. Last time I heard, they were doing quite well at raising money for the athletic department. The und alumni that actually still live in GF would have wanted the rest of the town to pitch in too had somebody brought a proposal like that to the table up there like they did in Fargo.

"Open mouth <-- insert foot here." Here's your sign! :D

NDFAN2
05-17-2006, 02:12 PM
I think the writer of this article is right on the money from an entire United States perspective. *Hockey is not widely followed. *

As a hockey fan, you are in the minority as most think hockey is bigger than BB and some even bigger than FB.

I fixed your post.

And yes, there are a people who have that view. However, I think they are fewer than you think but they get attention because they make a lot of noise.

NDFAN2
05-17-2006, 02:23 PM
kchats and IowaBisonToo,

I apologize if you miss-read my post. I did not say that NDSU was cheap, and you both make some very good points about their fund raising and bold move to D1. I'm supportive of that move.

But the topic of the thread is hockey, and NDSU doesn't have it. It is my opinion that NDSU would only do it if they had a facility that they didn't have to build with their own funds. Hopefully, this is now better stated so you can understand.

NDFAN2 (NDSU class of '91)

IowaBisonToo
05-17-2006, 05:38 PM
That I do agree with. Why not. If you can get a city to build a multi-purpose facility and be able to use it for a universities sport, I'd try. und did it with the tin shed, NDSU did it with the Dome. It's always worth a try.

RodentiaX
05-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Money doesn't grow on trees, unless you use the leaf as currency. Right now, NDSU has more urgent things to do with the money. It's not cheap moving to D-I. At some point in the future, if the budget allows it, it is possible that NDSU could add hockey, but not at this point.

kchats
05-18-2006, 03:19 AM
Did you ever think that maybe this vote for a tax supported arena could have been a gage of public support for hockey at NDSU? Why should NDSU raise tons of money to build a hockey arena and then raise a ton more money to get all the equipment required when the City of Fargo basically told them they are not interested in NDSU having a hockey team? Prior to the vote NDSU said it would only considered adding hockey if the vote passes, I think they wanted to see if there would be fans and the answer was a resounding no.

NDFAN2
05-18-2006, 03:28 PM
I beleive that was a small part of it. I do think that the more overwhelming part of the City of Fargo vote was that they didn't want any new taxes for anything (except maybe to fix the potholes in the streets).

Flintstone
05-18-2006, 04:34 PM
I don't believe it was a new tax. I think it was an extension of an existing one.

roadwarrior
05-18-2006, 06:11 PM
I think most voters viewed the last proposal as a subsidy to the developer. If not, why didnt they build the condos and offices anyway?

DIBISON
05-20-2006, 05:01 AM
Hockey's Popularity ??

Aren't the NHL playoffs going on ??

What TV network covers hockey ??

I watched the NBA playoffs on ESPN tonight along with regular season baseball games.

I don't think hockey is popular, your can't even find a game on TV !!

College hockey sure isn't popular, the NCAA West Regional championsip in Grand Forks wasn't even broadcast locally on live TV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IowaBisonToo
05-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Hockey's Popularity ??

Aren't the NHL playoffs going on ??

What TV network covers hockey ??

I watched the NBA playoffs on ESPN tonight along with regular season baseball games.

I don't think hockey is popular, your can't even find a game on TV !!

College hockey sure isn't popular, the NCAA West Regional championsip in Grand Forks wasn't even broadcast locally on live TV *!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not arguing with hockey's popularity. I agree it is of marginal, regional interest. However, are you saying the West Regional wasn't even on ESPN in GF? Because if you're talking about local stations carrying it, there's no way they could have. If it's something else, please enlighten me.

DIBISON
05-20-2006, 04:20 PM
[quote author=IowaBisonToo link=1147737799/15#23 date=1148129265I'm not arguing with hockey's popularity. *I agree it is of marginal, regional interest. *However, are you saying the West Regional wasn't even on ESPN in GF? *Because if you're talking about local stations carrying it, there's no way they could have. *If it's something else, please enlighten me.[/quote]

No it wasn't even on ESPN in GF. The championship game was tape delayed on FSN after the conclusion of the Wild or Timberwolves game.

Flanders
05-20-2006, 06:28 PM
It was on live TV. It was on ESPN U. It was tape delayed for 15 minutes by FSN.

DIBISON
05-21-2006, 04:21 AM
It was on live TV. *It was on ESPN U. *It was tape delayed for *15 minutes by FSN.

Thats too bad, as the game was watched live by very few people because ESPN U is not a local or regional station!!

Flanders
05-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Neither is ESPN. Or ABC. Or NBC. Or CBS. Local TV carrying a Division I regional? Are you kidding me? For example, IF the Bison played in the I-AA national sem-finals, where would you expect to see the game? On WDAY? On FSN? And you can't answer "ESPN' or "ESPN 2" or "ESPN U", because none of those are "regional" or "local", which is apparently your barometer. Remember, ESPN IS NOT Local or Regional.

virgfoss
05-21-2006, 03:24 PM
The I-AA football semifinals were live on ESPN 2 last fall. That's national.

ESPN U only reaches about 15% of the households in America. It just hasn't caught on.

kchats
05-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Neither is ESPN. *Or ABC. *Or NBC. *Or CBS. *Local TV carrying a Division I regional? *Are you kidding me? *For example, IF the Bison played in the I-AA national sem-finals, where would you expect to see the game? *On WDAY? *On FSN? *And you can't answer "ESPN' or "ESPN 2" or "ESPN U", because none of those are "regional" or "local", which is apparently your barometer. *Remember, ESPN IS NOT Local or Regional.

WDAY has always broadcast NDSU football games in the playoffs so I'm sure they would do the same with I-AA playoffs. WDAY picking up the broadcast for local fans without cable adds to exposure.

Flanders
05-21-2006, 03:44 PM
The I-AA football semifinals were live on ESPN 2 last fall. That's national.

ESPN U only reaches about 15% of the households in America. It just hasn't caught on.

That's not what's being debated here.

Flanders
05-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Neither is ESPN. Or ABC. Or NBC. Or CBS. Local TV carrying a Division I regional? Are you kidding me? For example, IF the Bison played in the I-AA national sem-finals, where would you expect to see the game? On WDAY? On FSN? And you can't answer "ESPN' or "ESPN 2" or "ESPN U", because none of those are "regional" or "local", which is apparently your barometer. Remember, ESPN IS NOT Local or Regional.

WDAY has always broadcast NDSU football games in the playoffs so I'm sure they would do the same with I-AA playoffs. WDAY picking up the broadcast for local fans without cable adds to exposure.

You couldn't be more wrong. NO LOCAL TV STATION CAN or WILL broadcast Semi-Final or the Finals of DI-AA football.

kchats
05-21-2006, 04:10 PM
WDAY will for NDSU and has in the past. Happens all the time with the NFL. Local teams games that are broadcast on ESPN or other cable networks are picked up by a broadcast network so the fans without cable can watch as well.

Flanders
05-21-2006, 04:20 PM
What WDAY has done in the past is bid on television rights for a Division II football game. They did it on a game by game basis. WDAY can not "pick up" games from ESPN so that local viewers wil have chance to see the game. Just as WDAZ couldn't "pick up" Sioux hockey games from ESPN. I am 100% sure of this.

kchats
05-21-2006, 04:23 PM
It happens all the time. I know local stations in Topeka have picked up the University of Kansas basketball games and Kansas State University football games for broadcast on local channels (ie. antenna broadcast channels). Just because there isn't enough interest for WDAZ to pay for the rights to broadcast the game locally doesn't mean WDAY won't do it for NDSU football.

Flanders
05-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Yes, that does happen all the time. But those are not PLAYOFF GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are wrong about this. At this point, you should probably admit you're wrong. "Just because there wasn't enough interest for WDAZ to pay for the rights". This is your MOST STUPID comment on this topic. WDAZ owns the rights to Fighting Sioux Hockey, and last month just inked a new 5-year contract with Fighting Sioux Hockey, which, at the end of it, will have provided 10 straight years of 30 games/per year on television. All of South Dakota, all of North Dakota, all of Manitoba, all of Northwestern Minnesota. 30 televised games a year! And you say "not enough interest"? Your credibility is swirling right down the toliet. When the NCAA Hockey tournament begins, WDAZ/WDAY/Forum Communications rights cease, and ESPN takes over. They own the rights. WDAZ CAN NOT, CAN NOT, "Pick up the games". WDAY CAN NOT, CAN NOT "Pick up the games". IF, IF, IF, the Bison make the D-IAA football Semifinals, WDAY WILL NOT, WILL NOT, WILL NOT "pick up the games". Care to take this any further? By the way, I work for Forum Communications. If you want, I'll have Hallstrom set the record straight for you on the Forum owned "Bison Media Blog".

DIBISON
05-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Oh well, it's too bad that TV coverage of a regional hockey championship was limited to live ESPNU which nobody gets and tape delay on FSN. That tells you the popularity of the sport!!

And yes Flanders I will take your comments to kcats further - - In years past WDAY would pick up feed from ESPN and other networks to broadcast Bison football games across the region so all households would be able to watch the games.

Flanders
05-22-2006, 01:35 AM
"In years past". Should have been your first clue. We're talking about now, and into the future. I'm right. ;)

kchats
05-22-2006, 04:01 AM
All it takes is money. If WDAY can sell enough advertising to cover the cost of paying for the rights and still make money they will probably do it.

IowaBisonToo
05-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Whoa, Flanders!!! Are you seeing spots??? Have you popped a blood vessel in your brain??? So if you're all knowing about how television rights work in the world of college athletics, why were the West regionals shown live on ESPN where I live and not up in GF??? Why on ESPNU and tape delayed on FSN North. By your argument, FSN North shouldn't have been able to air the game because ESPN had the rights to it. Please explain to all of us how this can be. My guess is they PAID for some of the rights (hey, I can use a bunch of caps, too). Never say never. :-[

Centralmn
05-22-2006, 03:46 PM
The Last time The University of Minneosta played in the Frozen Four out in Albany, they did not even sell out thier ticket allotment.

Flanders
05-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Whoa, Flanders!!! Are you seeing spots??? Have you popped a blood vessel in your brain??? So if you're all knowing about how television rights work in the world of college athletics, why were the West regionals shown live on ESPN where I live and not up in GF??? Why on ESPNU and tape delayed on FSN North. By your argument, FSN North shouldn't have been able to air the game because ESPN had the rights to it. Please explain to all of us how this can be. My guess is they PAID for some of the rights (hey, I can use a bunch of caps, too). Never say never. :-[

Ok, smart guy. I'll break it down for you. FSN is a regional cable station. They produced the Regional for ESPN, thus obtaining a share of the rights.

Flanders
05-22-2006, 04:01 PM
The Last time The University of Minneosta played in the Frozen Four out in Albany, they did not even sell out thier ticket allotment.

Please do not try to equate the popularity of hockey at NDSU and UND and Minnesota with ticket sales at the Frozen Four in Albany, NY.

broke_back_mnt
05-22-2006, 04:05 PM
The big Und network for hockey games must be hard to get? *If it does cover the entire state of Minnesota why dont I get it in Willmar? *I get the Gophers, every game, and some SCSU games. *If your not playing them your not on TV around here. *

Flanders
05-22-2006, 04:07 PM
The big Und network for hockey games must be hard to get? If it does cover the entire state of Minnesota why dont I get it in Willmar? I get the Gophers, every game, and some SCSU games. If your not playing them your not on TV around here.

Who said it covers all of Minnesota?

IowaBisonToo
05-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Whoa, Flanders!!! *Are you seeing spots??? *Have you popped a blood vessel in your brain??? *So if you're all knowing about how television rights work in the world of college athletics, why were the West regionals shown live on ESPN where I live and not up in GF??? *Why on ESPNU and tape delayed on FSN North. *By your argument, FSN North shouldn't have been able to air the game because ESPN had the rights to it. *Please explain to all of us how this can be. *My guess is they PAID for some of the rights (hey, I can use a bunch of caps, too). *Never say never. :-[

Ok, smart guy. *I'll break it down for you. *FSN is a regional cable station. *They produced the Regional for ESPN, thus obtaining a share of the rights. *
OK bright boy. That still doesn't explain why UND wasn't on "regular" ESPN. Enlighten us, pleeeeeease!!!!

RedRiver
05-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes, that does happen all the time. *But those are not PLAYOFF GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!! *You are wrong about this. *At this point, you should probably admit you're wrong. *"Just because there wasn't enough interest for WDAZ to pay for the rights". *This is your MOST STUPID comment on this topic. *WDAZ owns the rights to Fighting Sioux Hockey, and last month just inked a new 5-year contract with Fighting Sioux Hockey, which, at the end of it, will have provided 10 straight years of 30 games/per year on television. *All of South Dakota, all of North Dakota, all of Manitoba, all of Northwestern Minnesota. *30 televised games a year! *Care to take this any further? *By the way, I work for Forum Communications. *If you want, I'll have Hallstrom set the record straight for you on the Forum owned "Bison Media Blog".

Televised games by a und network does not not mean squat, you need viewers for popularity!! You better go back to work and get Hallstrom to set the record straight on the Bison Media Blog!!

Centralmn
05-22-2006, 04:51 PM

Please do not try to equate the popularity of hockey at NDSU and UND and Minnesota with ticket sales at the Frozen Four in Albany, NY.

It was in reference to the several posts refering to the UM.

broke_back_mnt
05-22-2006, 05:36 PM
The big Und network for hockey games must be hard to get? *If it does cover the entire state of Minnesota why dont I get it in Willmar? *I get the Gophers, every game, and some SCSU games. *If your not playing them your not on TV around here. *

Who said it covers all of Minnesota?

Sorry. I read your post wrong.

Flanders
05-22-2006, 05:50 PM

Ok, smart guy. I'll break it down for you. FSN is a regional cable station. They produced the Regional for ESPN, thus obtaining a share of the rights.
OK bright boy. That still doesn't explain why UND wasn't on "regular" ESPN. Enlighten us, pleeeeeease!!!!

I have no idea.

Flanders
05-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Yes, that does happen all the time. But those are not PLAYOFF GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are wrong about this. At this point, you should probably admit you're wrong. "Just because there wasn't enough interest for WDAZ to pay for the rights". This is your MOST STUPID comment on this topic. WDAZ owns the rights to Fighting Sioux Hockey, and last month just inked a new 5-year contract with Fighting Sioux Hockey, which, at the end of it, will have provided 10 straight years of 30 games/per year on television. All of South Dakota, all of North Dakota, all of Manitoba, all of Northwestern Minnesota. 30 televised games a year! Care to take this any further? By the way, I work for Forum Communications. If you want, I'll have Hallstrom set the record straight for you on the Forum owned "Bison Media Blog".

Televised games by a und network does not not mean squat, you need viewers for popularity!! You better go back to work and get Hallstrom to set the record straight on the Bison Media Blog!!

It's not a UND network. Fighting Sioux Hockey has a lot of viewers. In fact, viewership in Fargo is very high. Bottom line is this: Fighting Sioux Hockey has 30+ games on television a year. Some of you are trying to debate the popularity of Sioux hockey? Or hockey in general? All I've done is provide facts. What does NDSU's football live television contract look like?

IowaBisonToo
05-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Yes, that does happen all the time. *But those are not PLAYOFF GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!! *You are wrong about this. *At this point, you should probably admit you're wrong. *"Just because there wasn't enough interest for WDAZ to pay for the rights". *This is your MOST STUPID comment on this topic. *WDAZ owns the rights to Fighting Sioux Hockey, and last month just inked a new 5-year contract with Fighting Sioux Hockey, which, at the end of it, will have provided 10 straight years of 30 games/per year on television. *All of South Dakota, all of North Dakota, all of Manitoba, all of Northwestern Minnesota. *30 televised games a year! *Care to take this any further? *By the way, I work for Forum Communications. *If you want, I'll have Hallstrom set the record straight for you on the Forum owned "Bison Media Blog".

Televised games by a und network does not not mean squat, you need viewers for popularity!! *You better go back to work and get Hallstrom to set the record straight on the Bison Media Blog!!

It's not a UND network. *Fighting Sioux Hockey has a lot of viewers. *In fact, viewership in Fargo is very high. *Bottom line is this: *Fighting Sioux Hockey has 30+ games on television a year. *Some of you are trying to debate the popularity of Sioux hockey? *Or hockey in general? *All I've done is provide facts. *What does NDSU's football live television contract look like?
That's all fine and good, Flounder. But (and I'm not debating hockey popularity here, either) aren't these 30+ games on some obscure channel that you only get if you live in GF??? If this is the case, it's really no better than the universities TV station that gets picked up by the local cable network like what used to happen when I was in St. Cloud years back. Great for the locals but that's about it.

RedRiver
05-22-2006, 06:30 PM

Televised games by a und network does not not mean squat, you need viewers for popularity!! *You better go back to work and get Hallstrom to set the record straight on the Bison Media Blog!!

It's not a UND network. *Fighting Sioux Hockey has a lot of viewers. *In fact, viewership in Fargo is very high. *Bottom line is this: *Fighting Sioux Hockey has 30+ games on television a year. *Some of you are trying to debate the popularity of Sioux hockey? *Or hockey in general? *All I've done is provide facts. *What does NDSU's football live television contract look like?

What network are the 30 hockey games broadcast on? If it is WDAZ you don't get that in Fargo. If it is some cable channel then it is a und network? If it's not a und network as you say what is it then?

The popularity of hockey in general, what network is televising the NHL playoffs? Isn't it something like OLN that you can only get on a dish. Doesn't that type of answer tell you about the popularity of hockey??

NDFAN2
05-22-2006, 06:30 PM

That's all fine and good, Flounder. *But (and I'm not debating hockey popularity here, either) aren't these 30+ games on some obscure channel that you only get if you live in GF??? *If this is the case, it's really no better than the universities TV station that gets picked up by the local cable network like what used to happen when I was in St. Cloud years back. *Great for the locals but that's about it.

I think it's more of a Mid-Continent Cable arrangement. I get it on Channel 23 in Casselton, and i know my in-laws get the games in Wimbledon. I'm not sure how far reaching within Mid-Continent this is, but I do appreciate it. They don't show all the games, usually just the home games, and a few select away games.

Flanders
05-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Yes, that does happen all the time. But those are not PLAYOFF GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are wrong about this. At this point, you should probably admit you're wrong. "Just because there wasn't enough interest for WDAZ to pay for the rights". This is your MOST STUPID comment on this topic. WDAZ owns the rights to Fighting Sioux Hockey, and last month just inked a new 5-year contract with Fighting Sioux Hockey, which, at the end of it, will have provided 10 straight years of 30 games/per year on television. All of South Dakota, all of North Dakota, all of Manitoba, all of Northwestern Minnesota. 30 televised games a year! Care to take this any further? By the way, I work for Forum Communications. If you want, I'll have Hallstrom set the record straight for you on the Forum owned "Bison Media Blog".

It's not a UND network. Fighting Sioux Hockey has a lot of viewers. In fact, viewership in Fargo is very high. Bottom line is this: Fighting Sioux Hockey has 30+ games on television a year. Some of you are trying to debate the popularity of Sioux hockey? Or hockey in general? All I've done is provide facts. What does NDSU's football live television contract look like?
That's all fine and good, Flounder. But (and I'm not debating hockey popularity here, either) aren't these 30+ games on some obscure channel that you only get if you live in GF??? If this is the case, it's really no better than the universities TV station that gets picked up by the local cable network like what used to happen when I was in St. Cloud years back. Great for the locals but that's about it.

No, they aren't on some obscure channel that is only seen in Grand Forks. The network is call the Fighting Sioux Sports network. It is not a UND network. It is not a "university TV station". It is made up of WDAZ-TV, Ralph Engelstad Arena, and Midcontinent Cable. It is also on satellite throughout the United States.

Flanders
05-22-2006, 06:46 PM

What network are the 30 hockey games broadcast on? If it is WDAZ you don't get that in Fargo. If it is some cable channel then it is a und network? If it's not a und network as you say what is it then?

The popularity of hockey in general, what network is televising the NHL playoffs? Isn't it something like OLN that you can only get on a dish. Doesn't that type of answer tell you about the popularity of hockey??

It is not a UND network. It is seen in Fargo. OLN doesn't require a dish. Using your criteria, NDSU football isn't very popular. What point are you trying to make? Why do you keep bringing up the NHL?

RedRiver
05-22-2006, 09:57 PM

What network are the 30 hockey games broadcast on? *If it is WDAZ you don't get that in Fargo. *If it is some cable channel then it is a und network? *If it's not a und network as you say what is it then?

The popularity of hockey in general, what network is televising the NHL playoffs? *Isn't it something like OLN that you can only get on a dish. *Doesn't that type of answer tell you about the popularity of hockey??

It is not a UND network. *It is seen in Fargo. *OLN doesn't require a dish. *Using your criteria, NDSU football isn't very popular. *What point are you trying to make? *Why do you keep bringing up the NHL?

Why do I bring up the NHL?? Do you see the name of this topic - Re: Hockey's Popularity!! Don't the NHL and hockey go together??

Anyway you reinforced my points about hockey's popularity and lack of media coverage for not only pro but college as well. Hey, there is nothing wrong with that, those are just facts accepted by most everyone but yourself.

lakesbison
05-22-2006, 10:13 PM
This is the 2nd In-DEPTH thread about HOCKEY on a NDSU website!!

LETS PLAY HOCKEY PEOPLE!!

Im in Teammakers.. I will bring it up at a meeting or 2.... NO REASON WHY NDSU can't be successfull in DIVISION 1 hockey!!!

come on people!!

Hockey is HUGE in Minnesota.... PERIOD>.. Im not a SIOUX FAN AT ALL.. GOPHER HOCKEY ALL THE WAY.. but even I can see the REGIONAL popularity!!!

I'd say North Dakota is about 50-50 for Hockey... they love it or dont give a CRAP...

Minnesota is 80%-20% (20%= tree hugging hippies who dont like sports period)

Canada 100%

LETS GET BOLLINGER and SCHEELS to put about 20 Million into the NDSU PROGRAM AND FARGODOME FOR HOCKEY!!!

Flanders
05-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Thought we were talking about college hockey. My bad.

Centralmn
05-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Hockey is HUGE in Minnesota.... PERIOD>.. Im not a SIOUX FAN AT ALL.. GOPHER HOCKEY ALL THE WAY.. but even I can see the REGIONAL popularity!!!

I'd say North Dakota is about 50-50 for Hockey... they love it or dont give a CRAP...

Are you crazy???? Even in Minnesota, hockey is not followed by the majority. Hockey fans seem to think that because our small arenas are filled that the rest of the state is watching. Most high schools in MN do not even have a hockey team. WCCO did a study last year on this and the numbers were surprising...I will try to find it online. TV ratings don't lie.

Flanders
05-23-2006, 01:02 AM

Are you crazy???? Even in Minnesota, hockey is not followed by the majority. Hockey fans seem to think that because our small arenas are filled that the rest of the state is watching. Most high schools in MN do not even have a hockey team. WCCO did a study last year on this and the numbers were surprising...I will try to find it online. TV ratings don't lie.

This is an incredibly unenlightened view. We are all dumber now having read it. Apparently you're talking about Minnesota High School Hockey. And you say "TV ratings don't lie". It's quite possible that the Minnesota High School Hockey Tournament has a bigger TV audience than BB and FB combined.

Centralmn
05-23-2006, 02:43 AM

Are you crazy???? *Even in Minnesota, hockey is not followed by the majority. *Hockey fans seem to think that because our small arenas are filled that the rest of the state is watching. *Most high schools in MN do not even have a hockey team. *WCCO did a study last year on this and the numbers were surprising...I will try to find it online. *TV ratings don't lie.

This is an incredibly unenlightened view. *We are all dumber now having read it. *Apparently you're talking about Minnesota High School Hockey. *And you say "TV ratings don't lie". *It's quite possible that the Minnesota High School Hockey Tournament has a bigger TV audience than BB and FB combined. *

Falnders, I wen back to look at some of your posts from this and other thread to see what you are all about...and I thought right. *You are a combative smart arse.

You must have gotten that one from KFAN...nice try but it's a little old and tired. *

The lack of high school hockey teams, the poor tv ratings for professional and college hockey (in general) tell us one thing...unlike baseball, basketball, and football...hockey is a niche sport without mass appeal. *You need to get real and just face the facts. *Hockey is unwatchable outside of hockey circles. :'(

Flanders
05-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Actually, I got it from one of my all-time favorite movies, "Billy Madison". So, you're wrong there. Secondly, I'm not combative. I keep all my remarks based in fact. Thirdly, where is that you've seen "high school and college hockey tv ratings"? Is that a joke? I really don't understand your point. If you don't like hockey, it's fairly simply, don't watch it. I haven't made one post imploring anyone to watch hockey. "Hockey is unwatchable outside of hockey circles". Gee...that's deep. Let me try a few of my own: "Equestrian jumping is unwatchable outside of equestrian jumping circles"...or..."Lacrosse is unwatchable outside of lacrosse circles". By the way, I'll be waiting for those Minnesota High School and College hockey TV ratings. Especially the Gopher's ratings. Can't wait to see them.

NDFAN2
05-23-2006, 01:43 PM
I think it's my fault for changing the nature of the thread from NHL to college hockey. Sorry.

I think if ESPN can air poker, they could air hockey. (In my humble opinion).

BisonBacker
05-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Hockey is a niche sport. I don't watch it but I don't begrudge anyone that wants to watch it. I think hockey always has been a niche sport but when they had the lockout it "hockey" never even regained its original audience which was not that large. Unlike baseball after the lockout, baseball took a few years but it has come back full circle. Baseball however is by no means a niche sport like hockey. In the end the majority don't follow hockey. I wasnt even aware the playoffs were on until last night when I happened to hear a blurb on the sports about the hockey playoffs. The teams they mentioned I couldn't even tell you where they were from. :-/

Centralmn
05-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Actually, I got it from one of my all-time favorite movies, "Billy Madison". *
That's all I need to hear...wow ;D

Bigears
05-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Actually, I got it from one of my all-time favorite movies, "Billy Madison". *So, you're wrong there. *Secondly, I'm not combative. *I keep all my remarks based in fact. *Thirdly, where is that you've seen "high school and college hockey tv ratings"? *Is that a joke? *I really don't understand your point. *If you don't like hockey, it's fairly simply, don't watch it. *I haven't made one post imploring anyone to watch hockey. *"Hockey is unwatchable outside of hockey circles". *Gee...that's deep. *Let me try a few of my own: *"Equestrian jumping is unwatchable outside of equestrian jumping circles"...or..."Lacrosse is unwatchable outside of lacrosse circles". *By the way, I'll be waiting for those Minnesota High School and College hockey TV ratings. *Especially the Gopher's ratings. *Can't wait to see them. *

Gee, it's interesting that you would choose to equate Hockey with Lacrosse and Equestrian. I can't imagine a Basketball, Football or Baseball fan ever saying anything like that about their sport. I take it as an admission of Hockey's secondary status.

RedRiver
05-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Actually, I got it from one of my all-time favorite movies, "Billy Madison". *So, you're wrong there. *Secondly, I'm not combative. *I keep all my remarks based in fact. *Thirdly, where is that you've seen "high school and college hockey tv ratings"? *Is that a joke? *I really don't understand your point. *If you don't like hockey, it's fairly simply, don't watch it. *I haven't made one post imploring anyone to watch hockey. *"Hockey is unwatchable outside of hockey circles". *Gee...that's deep. *Let me try a few of my own: *"Equestrian jumping is unwatchable outside of equestrian jumping circles"...or..."Lacrosse is unwatchable outside of lacrosse circles". *By the way, I'll be waiting for those Minnesota High School and College hockey TV ratings. *Especially the Gopher's ratings. *Can't wait to see them. *

Here's some hockey ratings that'll make you proud.

A recent NHL conference semifinal game between Carolina and New Jersey drew a Nielsen rating of 1.1, which was lower than the 1.2 for taped coverage of the NCAA women's gymnastics finals.

NHL postseason games on OLN are averaging a .45 rating or about 300,000 households per game nationally - twice the number that tuned in for regular season games.

WYOBISONMAN
05-25-2006, 01:17 PM
I think it's my fault for changing the nature of the thread from NHL to college hockey. Sorry.

I think if ESPN can air poker, they could air hockey. (In my humble opinion).

I don't think anyone watches TV poker......I would rather go out to my back yard and watch the grass grow.....with a margarita of course.....

NDFAN2
05-25-2006, 01:27 PM
I think it's my fault for changing the nature of the thread from NHL to college hockey. *Sorry.

I think if ESPN can air poker, they could air hockey. *(In my humble opinion).

I don't think anyone watches TV poker......I would rather go out to my back yard and watch the grass grow.....with a margarita of course.....

Agreed!

Sticks
05-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Are you crazy???? *Even in Minnesota, hockey is not followed by the majority. *Hockey fans seem to think that because our small arenas are filled that the rest of the state is watching. *Most high schools in MN do not even have a hockey team. *WCCO did a study last year on this and the numbers were surprising...I will try to find it online. *TV ratings don't lie.

Whatever it is that you're smoking--pass it over here, cause it must be good. *Your name indicates that you're from Central Minnesota, but your comments tell me that you've relocated to "never-never land."

How can you be a resident (or past resident) of MN and make a retarded comment like that? *What, are you from Delhi, MN or something? (which is B.F.E. for those you who don't know where I'm talking about). *Minnesota is a HOCKEY state if ever there was one in the U.S.

There are over 256 high schools in the state of MN that have sanctioned hockey teams. *The high schools that don't are obviously too small to field a team--and granted, there are a few of those in the state of MN (which would have nothing to do with the popularity of the sport). *The schools that have a hockey progam heavily outweigh the ones that don't--and about 80% of those schools take their hockey very seriously.

So...care to try that one again?

USA_Hockey
05-25-2006, 03:54 PM
The Minnesota High School hockey tourney sells out the Xcel. It isn't liked by everyone, but their is a huge following in Minnesota for high school hockey.

lakesbison
05-25-2006, 04:27 PM
cant believe im agreing with him... ah ha..

but NONE OF U CAN DENY that Minnesota is the STATE of HOCKEY.. and NDSU HOCKEY would FLOURISH!!!

easily there are 10,000- AVID fans that would attend on a regular basis.

and like ive stated a MILLION TIMES!

5 series would sell out 20,000 in DOME.. both nights:

Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, St Cloud, Mankato.

maybe Duluth/Omaha/Bemidji as well....

throw in some Mich or Mich State.. and then Ferris state, Quinnipiac, Alaska...blah blah..... thats a SOLID PROGRAM Attendence wise..

thats the BOTTOM LINE!!

Centralmn
05-25-2006, 08:51 PM

There are over 256 high schools in the state of MN that have sanctioned hockey teams. *The high schools that don't are obviously too small to field a team--and granted, there are a few of those in the state of MN (which would have nothing to do with the popularity of the sport). *The schools that have a hockey progam heavily outweigh the ones that don't--and about 80% of those schools take their hockey very seriously.

Centralmn
05-25-2006, 09:09 PM

I follwed on of the most storied hockey teams in the state of Minnesota...every heard of Edina? I was one the THE FEW fans that went to hockey games. The only large turnouts were for the section semis, section finals, and of course the state.

You say that 80% of the towns that have hockey take it seriously?? Maybe the players, parents, and coaches. We moved out of the city to a community that plays hockey in an average hockey coference and nobody cared about hockey. It was all basketball and football. (Edina basketball outdrew hockey for regular season games and football had larger crowds than both of them combined)

I would say that only 20% of schools with hockey really care about it because the vast majority of hockey programs WILL NEVER make it to the state tourney. There are only a handful of programs that have success in hockey (the two class program has given hope) but the wealthy, 13,000/yr, private schools have take that over as well.

Also when you say 256 high school teams they are tons of co-oped boys and girls teams, with the majority on the team being from the largest school with the arena in town. Some schools only have 1 or 2 kids from their home town, and aren't even playing for their district, colors, or mascot. But their school counts as having a team. So that statistic is very misleading.

That being said, I think hockey would be a success at NDSU

Flanders
05-26-2006, 04:42 AM
I like hockey++++++++++++++++++++++

NDFAN2
05-26-2006, 01:58 PM
I like hockey++++++++++++++++++++++

Me too! :)

DIBISON
05-26-2006, 02:30 PM
[quote author=RedRiver link=1147737799/60#67 date=1148562868
Here's some hockey ratings that'll make you proud. *

A recent NHL conference semifinal game between Carolina and New Jersey drew a Nielsen rating of 1.1, which was lower than the 1.2 for taped coverage of the NCAA women's gymnastics finals.

NHL postseason games on OLN are averaging a .45 rating or about 300,000 households per game nationally - twice the number that tuned in for regular season games.[/quote]

Most people aren't fans of hockey!!

broke_back_mnt
05-26-2006, 03:37 PM
When your in the forest you cant really tell if its 1 acre or 100. Hockey is a 1 acre forest. Here in central Minnesota, if football were St. Cloud, Delphi is hockey.

DIBISON
05-27-2006, 04:29 AM
I guess all of the hockey fans got scared away, the two of them anyway!!

NDFAN2
05-31-2006, 02:07 PM

I'm not scared away. I just quit posting on this thread because it's beat to death. I like hockey, you don't. NDSU won't have a hockey program anytime soon, which makes you happy, and me sad. The aspects of having a hockey program are many and well discussed already. Enough said.

Sticks
05-31-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm not scared away. *I just quit posting on this thread because it's beat to death. *I like hockey, you don't. *NDSU won't have a hockey program anytime soon, which makes you happy, and me sad. *The aspects of having a hockey program are many and well discussed already. *Enough said.

That goes for me as well. *We've gone back and forth with facts, statistics, and opinions about hockey's popularity in this part of the country. *All it boils down to in this thread is that you guys don't like hockey (maybe you would if you had a team like the Sioux) and refuse to agree that the upper midwest is about as hockey orientated as it gets in the US. *It has become pointless to even argue about it anymore.

RedRiver
05-31-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm not scared away. *I just quit posting on this thread because it's beat to death. *I like hockey, you don't. *NDSU won't have a hockey program anytime soon, which makes you happy, and me sad. *The aspects of having a hockey program are many and well discussed already. *Enough said.

hockey's popularity in this part of the country. * the upper midwest is about as hockey orientated as it gets in the US. *

Thanks for agreeing, like you say nothing more needs to be said, because it is only this part of the country!!

IowaBisonToo
06-01-2006, 12:43 PM
I love hockey, too. But, I think NDSU can focus their energies somewhere other than the ice. They have some major work to do to bring the other sports where they need to be on a consistent basis. Yes, they've shown great promise but that's not to say that promise won't vanish quickly. Get the programs to a high level of play consistently, make sure the funds are there to first fund some more womens programs and secondly to provide a suitable arena (not the FFD), and then look into adding the sport. It's going to take a lot of money to recruit in Canada. :)

buffalobilljr
06-06-2006, 10:34 AM
I love hockey, too. *But, I think NDSU can focus their energies somewhere other than the ice. *They have some major work to do to bring the other sports where they need to be on a consistent basis. *Yes, they've shown great promise but that's not to say that promise won't vanish quickly. *Get the programs to a high level of play consistently, make sure the funds are there to first fund some more womens programs and secondly to provide a suitable arena (not the FFD), and then look into adding the sport. *It's going to take a lot of money to recruit in Canada. :)
The bottom line is that we already have a D-1 Hockey program in the Great State of North Dakota that compares impressively with any collegiate hockey program in North America.
1. WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER ONE!!!!!
2. WE DON'T NEED DUPLICATION OF ANY OTHER SPORTS ON A D-1 LEVEL EITHER.
3. UND DOES NOT RECEIVE A FULL SHARE OF NET REVENUES FROM THE NCAA HOCKEY PLAYOFFS BECAUSE IT IS A D-2 SCHOOL PLAYING A D-1 SPORT
4. THE GREAT STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA HAS AMPLE RESOUCRES TO DO THIS D-1 THING RIGHT ONCE.
5. THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA STATE FIGHTING BISON OR THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING BISON TAKE YOUR PICK.
6. TWO WORLD CLASS CAMPUSES ONE UNIVERSITY.
7. BEING A SHARK PATROLLING THE NAT'L BEACH OR TWO PERCH SWIMMING IN DEVILS LAKE, THAT IS REALLY OUR CHOICE HERE.
8. THIS ULTIMATELY BECOMES A MERGER OF TWO ATHLETIC DEPTS, FOR OPENERS HOCKEY REMAINS IN GRAND FORKS, FOOTBALL IN FARGO, THEIR CHAMPIONSHIPS HISTORICALLY WOULD WARRANT THAT. THE NEXT GIVEN WOULD BE WRESTLING IN FARGO AND SWIMMING IN GRAND FORKS BOTH NO BRAINERS. MEN'S AND WOMEN'S BB COULD ULTIMATELY PLAY IN MULTIPLE HOME LOCATIONS PRECEDENT FOR THAT WOULD BE UCONN THEY PLAY IN BOTH HARTFORD AND THEIR HOME CAMPUS FACILITIES. BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL PLAY MOST OF THEIR GAMES SOMEWHERE ELSE ANYWAY, BUT FARGO HAS BASEBALL'S ANSWER TO THE RALPH. TRACK AND FIELD AND SOCCER COULD PLAY BOTH. VOLLEYBALL COULD PLAY IN BOTH. TENNIS COULD PLAY IN BOTH. GOLF COULD PLAY IN BOTH. I HOPE YOU GET THE POINT.
9. THE FIGHTING BISON SOLVES THE LOGO FLAP.
10. ADOPTING A WHITE BUFFALO AS A SACRED TEAM MASCOT OPENS THE DOOR TO HEALING AND COOPERATION BETWEEN THE NATIVE AMERICANS AND THE ENTIRE SUPPORT BASE OF THE GREAT STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA, IT'S ALUMNI, AND ALL STAKEHOLDERS INVOLVED.
11. A BULLET TRAIN INITIALLY BETWEEN GRAND FORKS/EAST GRAND FORKS AND FARGO/MOORHEAD TO IMPROVE TRANSPORTATION AND ACCESSIBILITY EVENTUALLY EXTENDING IT TO THE GRAND FORKS AIRBASE AND WAHPETON/BRECKENRIDGE. WORLD CLASS TRANSPORTATION FOR A WORLD CLASS RESEARCH CORRIDOR. WE HAVE THE CONGRESSIONAL DELEGATION ON BOARD THAT CAN PROBABLY GET THAT ACCOMPLISHED. WHAT THE HELL WE WON WWII WHILE JAPAN AND GERMANY BOTH HAVE SUPERIOR RAIL SERVICE. THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME.
12. THE ELIMINATION OF THE CONSTANT BICKERING OVER EQUITY FUNDING BETWEEN TWO MAJOR UNIVERSITIES. TO BE SURE INDIVIDUAL DEPTS WILL STILL VIE FOR PIECES OF THE PIE BUT THAT IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE THE CASE IN ANY LARGE ORGANIZATION.
13. IN A STATE WITH GREAT BUT FINITE RESOURCES 85 SCHOLARSHIPS IN FB INSTEAD OF 126 OR WORSE YET 170 MAKES A GREAT DEAL MORE SENSE TO ME AND THAT IS JUST ONE SPORT AS AN EXAMPLE.
14. IN A TIME WHEN CONSTITUTIONAL ENTITIES LIKE MAYVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY ARE STRUGGLING WITH THEIR BUDGETS WOULDN'T AN EXAMPLE OF EFFICIENCY BE A GREAT LESSON TO TEACH.
15. NOW I REALIZE THAT EVENTUALLY WE NEED CONFERANCE AFFILIATION BUT WOULDN'T A LONG TERM GOAL OF BECOMING THE TWELVE TEAM IN THE BIG TEN BE A WORTHY GOAL, BESIDES THAT'S REALLY OUR PEER GROUP AS DR. JOE CHAPMAN HAS STATED ALL ALONG. IMAGINE TWO DIVISIONS THE EAST WITH PENN STATE, OHIO STATE, MICHIGAN, MICHIGAN STATE, INDIANA AND PURDUE WITH THE WEST BEING IOWA, ILLINOIS, NORTHWESTERN, WISCONSIN, MINNESOTA, AND YOU TAKE YOUR PICK STATE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA OR UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA STATE.
16. THE NAME CHANGE WOULD REQUIRE AN AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION BUT WHAT BETTER WAY FOR THE PEOPLE'S UNIVERSITIES TO CHANGE THEIR NAME THAN TO HAVE THE PEOPLE VOTE ON THE MATTER.
17. MUCH TO DO AND MOST OF US ONLY GET LESS THAN 100 YEARS TO DO IT IN. SADLY WE DIDN'T MAKE VERY EFFICIENT USE OF LAST 100 YEARS WHEN IT CAME TO OUR TWO UNIVERSITIIES.
18. HAIL THE GREAT STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA AND LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!

broke_back_mnt
06-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Heres what Im hearing:

1) NDSU wont start a hockey program
2) Und will drop football and the two universities will combine their names for athletic purposes at least. It hasnt been explained what will happen to their football budget.
3) NDSU and Und will combine BB programs, and presumably budgets, and play a mixed home schedule in Fargo and Grand Forks
4) NDSU keeps wrestling, Und swiming.
5) Any other duplicated programs will be combined similar to BB. NDSU has Newman field so presumably baseball and softball will be here.

buffalobill
06-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Heres what Im hearing:

1) *NDSU wont start a hockey program
2) *Und will drop football and the two universities will combine their names for athletic purposes at least. *It hasnt been explained what will happen to their football budget.
3) *NDSU and Und will combine BB programs, and presumably budgets, and play a mixed home schedule in Fargo and Grand Forks
4) *NDSU keeps wrestling, Und swiming.
5) *Any other duplicated programs will be combined similar to BB. *NDSU has Newman field so presumably baseball and softball will be here.
JBB
You are missing one important point-two campuses One University. Come to grips with that and everything will start to make more sense. Many times new ideas are never popular at first. :) :) :) :) :)

lakesbison
06-06-2006, 06:19 PM
STAY ON TOPIC!!

Hockey on OLN (only 45 million of USA has OLN) watch the ratings for games 3-7 on NBC to justify it!!

furthermore .. in UPPER MIDWEST.. OLN is at a 4.5 rating...

FINALLY... NDSU CAN and WILL have NCAA hockey... mark my words!!!

BOLLINGER and THERALDSON will get it done!

buffalobilljr
06-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I agree with you but not in the way you might think, just my opinion of course.
Gary would probably appreciate spelling his name correctly. It is Tharaldson.

johnnyboy
06-24-2006, 01:55 AM
I graduated in 1951 and I believe combining the two campuses into one Super University is something that is long overdue. Imagine the possibilities if we set aside our egos and look out for what's best for The Great State of North Dakota!

Sticks
06-26-2006, 01:58 PM
I graduated in 1951 and I believe combining the two campuses into one Super University is something that is long overdue. Imagine the possibilities if we set aside our egos and look out for what's best for The Great State of North Dakota! *
Here we go again.....

buffalobilljr
06-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I graduated in 1951 and I believe combining the two campuses into one Super University is something that is long overdue. Imagine the possibilities if we set aside our egos and look out for what's best for The Great State of North Dakota! *
Here we go again.....

Who's we?

Sticks
06-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Here we go again.....

Who's we? *
What?! That's a stupid question as you know what I'm getting at by saying what I said. Here we go again, as in "here come the stupid ideas again, possibly from the same person with ANOTHER handle name"...kind of getting out of control, no?

Does that clarify?

buffalobilljr
06-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Here we go again.....

Who's we? *
What?! *That's a stupid question as you know what I'm getting at by saying what I said. *Here we go again, as in "here come the stupid ideas again, possibly from the same person with ANOTHER handle name"...kind of getting out of control, no?

Does that clarify?

You wouldn't know clarity if you were staring into clear water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bill_Kiefer_FB_72
07-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Here we go again.....

Who's we? *
What?! *That's a stupid question as you know what I'm getting at by saying what I said. *Here we go again, as in "here come the stupid ideas again, possibly from the same person with ANOTHER handle name"...kind of getting out of control, no?

Does that clarify?

You wouldn't know clarity if you were staring into clear water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D ;D
Contrary to what some Bison Loyalists think our Hockey playing brethren are our friends not the former Evil Empire!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

mjh
07-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I graduated from NDSU not the Fargo branch of the und!

Bill_Kiefer_FB_72
07-17-2006, 09:11 PM
I graduated from NDSU not the Fargo branch of the und!
Good for you on the graduation that is! You probably have siblings you can't stand either? Hope that's not the case! I taught with a Principal with the initials of MJH. He was one of the most intolerant people I ever met. >:( >:( >:( >:(

BisonBacker
07-17-2006, 09:40 PM

Good God we have another one :o
That would not be what is best for the state of ND. I have to go hurl up my lunch now after reading this garbage.

Wilhelm_Klink_1972
07-18-2006, 12:37 PM

Good God we have another one :o
That would not be what is best for the state of ND. *I have to go hurl up my lunch now after reading this garbage.
You probably don't even live in the State of ND. No wonder you are sick to your stomach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NanoBison
07-20-2006, 03:40 AM
My Top Ten List :

Hockey is about as popular as :

10. Hemorrhoids

9. The IRS

8. Construction Season in Fargo

7. Inlaws

6. Poopy Diapers

5. Grand Forks

4. Higher Interest Rates

3. North Korea

2. The UND section in the new Scheels ;D

1. WilhelmKlink1972BuffaloBillCodyJrSrI.II.III.IVSeve nPartsRemoved

p.s. If you were wondering WTH? The thread was originally about Hockey's Popularity...

Bisonguy
07-20-2006, 10:25 PM
My Top Ten List :

4. Higher Interest Rates

p.s. If you were wondering WTH? The thread was originally about Hockey's Popularity...

I could use some CD or bond rates around 15-20%. The rest of the list I could do without.

NanoBison
07-21-2006, 03:05 AM
Yep. Higher Interest Rates for CDs and Bonds... Good. Higher Interest Rates for student loans... Bad. :)

L_D_Loftsgard
07-21-2006, 05:22 AM
My Top Ten List :

10. Hemorrhoids

9. The IRS

8. Construction Season in Fargo

7. Inlaws

6. Poopy Diapers

5. Grand Forks

4. Higher Interest Rates

3. North Korea

2. The UND section in the new Scheels *;D

1. WilhelmKlink1972BuffaloBillCodyJrSrI.II.III.IVSeve nPartsRemoved

The puck is hard to follow sometimes, especially on TV. Up here it is somewhat easier because we are looking down on everything!

NanoBison
07-21-2006, 05:59 AM
Mr. Loftsgard, you lack the certain distinguished, or perhaps elegant premise in your responses to be an actual President of NDSU. Maybe you might want to brush up on that Bill. I mean Bill Kiefer. Er, I mean Bill Bob Cody Jr Sr... So many names......

I know I've been asked not to respond in posts that Bill does, but if I hold to that, I won't be able to respond to anything, in any threads, for he has spammed the entire board yet once again...

>:(

Bill_Kiefer_FB_72
07-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Mr. Loftsgard, you lack the certain distinguished, or perhaps elegant premise in your responses to be an actual President of NDSU. Maybe you might want to brush up on that Bill. I mean Bill Kiefer. Er, I mean Bill Bob Cody Jr Sr... So many names......

I know I've been asked not to respond in posts that Bill does, but if I hold to that, I won't be able to respond to anything, in any threads, for he has spammed the entire board yet once again...

Nano you are a cyberstud, but you seem perplexed??????????

IowaBisonToo
07-22-2006, 09:34 PM

No, I think he just dislikes SPAM/Trolls.

Wilhelm_Klink_1972
07-23-2006, 02:47 AM

No, I think he just dislikes SPAM/Trolls.
Is that a new German fishing bait/lure/device????????????????????????????

sambini
07-23-2006, 03:54 AM
How about the Stanley Cup being in town this weekend. Thanks to Matt Cullen.

Wilhelm_Klink_1972
07-23-2006, 04:30 AM
How about the Stanley Cup being in town this weekend. Thanks to Matt Cullen.
Hail the Fighting F-M Area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suherdscribe
07-24-2006, 01:29 AM
u gotta be kidding me!!!! hockey at ndsu. you're freakn nuts

und has budget problems because of women's hockey to the tune of $250k. Profits from men's hockey, men's and women's basketball are keeping women's hockey a float.

And if you add men's hockey at ndsu, you gotta add a womens sport, so says title 9. and und has to spend money to "upgrade" it's facilities.

No way. Mankato and St. CLoud are having budget woes, and so is Omaha.

Nope, ndsu is on the right track without hockey. the ship is sinking in gforks faster than the titanic. soon you'll hear a big wooosh sound coming 90 miles north of fargo.

Mr._Bill
07-24-2006, 01:51 AM
u gotta be kidding me!!!! hockey at ndsu. you're freakn nuts

und has budget problems because of women's hockey to the tune of $250k. Profits from men's hockey, men's and women's basketball are keeping women's hockey a float.

And if you add men's hockey at ndsu, you gotta add a womens sport, so says title 9. and und has to spend money to "upgrade" it's facilities.

No way. Mankato and St. CLoud are having budget woes, and so is Omaha.

Nope, ndsu is on the right track without hockey. the ship is sinking in gforks faster than the titanic. soon you'll hear a big wooosh sound coming 90 miles north of fargo.

I am in 100% agreement. *Hockey at SU would be a financial drain and a hinderance to our success in D1. *The scholarship implecations would be very painful to our overall budget.

Maybe und will be able to find budget success overall in D1, but my money says that if they do, it will be in spite of hockey, not because of it. *They will most likely have a few minor sports on the chopping block within the next 2-3 years.

BisonMav
07-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Take the beer out of Engelstad and see how popular hockey is.

Point: Beer is more popular than hockey.

Sticks
07-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Looks like Lakes has got a new handle name as well..... :-? :-? :-?

mebison
07-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Well, the style's about right, but the content's a little off. Lakes is usually pounding the drum for hockey as I recall.

Flanders
07-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Take the beer out of Engelstad and see how popular hockey is.

The capacity of the Old Ralph was 6,200. Beer was not sold there although I'm sure a few bottles of the "good stuff" made there way into the building. But no alchol sales. Yet, almost every single game was sold out.

BisonMav
07-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Take the beer out of Engelstad and see how popular hockey is. *

The capacity of the Old Ralph was 6,200. *Beer was not sold there although I'm sure a *few bottles of the "good stuff" made there way into the building. *But no alchol sales. *Yet, almost every single game was sold out.

Big difference between New Ralph and Old Ralph

Sticks
07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
So what does this mean?? *The old Ralph could put butts in the seats with no alcohol sales, but the new Ralph can't? There would still be a substantial amount of people in attendance with, or without alcohol.*

And for the record, not every fan at a UND hockey game is drinking alcohol. *To insinuate that the only reason people attend hockey games is to drink booze is just plain ignorant.

BisonMav
07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
So what does this mean?? *The old Ralph could put butts in the seats with no alcohol sales, but the new Ralph can't? *There would still be a substantial amount of people in attendance with, or without alcohol.*

And for the record, not every fan at a UND hockey game is drinking alcohol. *To insinuate that the only reason people attend hockey games is to drink booze is just plain ignorant.

So then attendance would stay the same whether alcohol was served in the Ralph or not?

And I didn't say it was the only reason, just said beer is more popular than hockey. I would insinuate that a majority of the people at the game, don't know that much about hockey, beyond the UND players names.

Sticks
07-24-2006, 06:25 PM
So then attendance would stay the same whether alcohol was served in the Ralph or not?

And I didn't say it was the only reason, just said beer is more popular than hockey. *I would insinuate that a majority of the people at the game, don't know that much about hockey, beyond the UND players names.

Beer is more popular than a lot of things.... ;) :)

I don't know if it would stay the same...but I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't KILL attendance. *Like Flanders said, the old Ralph sold out quite frequently with no alcohol sales (granted it was a fraction of the size of the new Ralph) and people didn't seem to complain a whole lot. *I'm starting to get the impression that you don't really realize just how popular UND hockey is in GF and the state of ND. *I know of people in WILLISTON, ND that have season tickets and drive all the way to GF every weekend the Sioux are in town...and believe it or not, there are a lot of intelligent hockey fans in ND.

broke_back_mnt
07-24-2006, 11:36 PM
earlier this summer my nephew went on an NDSU campus visit. He asked why NDSU didnt have hockey. The reply was that NDSU was building a hockey program and would have a team in the forseable future. This came as a surprise to me since we have no rink etc. We agreed it wouldnt happen until the BISON have an outdoor football stadium and FFD is freed up.

Oh yea, he thinks UMD will be his choice. Good choice for him and was glad he gave NDSU a chance.

BisonMav
07-25-2006, 12:30 AM

I don't know if it would stay the same...but I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't KILL attendance. *Like Flanders said, the old Ralph sold out quite frequently with no alcohol sales (granted it was a fraction of the size of the new Ralph) and people didn't seem to complain a whole lot. *I'm starting to get the impression that you don't really realize just how popular UND hockey is in GF and the state of ND. *I know of people in WILLISTON, ND that have season tickets and drive all the way to GF every weekend the Sioux are in town...and believe it or not, there are a lot of intelligent hockey fans in ND.

I have lived in Grand Forks in the past and know all about UND hockey. I even have some Fido Purpur signed Chicago Black Hawks Pucks. There are a lot of intelligent hockey fans in ND. There are also a lot of people with UND season tickets that don't know much about hockey, the game or the history.

Here's a question for you, that you should know. Who was the losing goalie in the first Minnesota State High School Hockey Tourney Championship game?

Flanders
07-25-2006, 01:38 AM

I don't know if it would stay the same...but I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't KILL attendance. Like Flanders said, the old Ralph sold out quite frequently with no alcohol sales (granted it was a fraction of the size of the new Ralph) and people didn't seem to complain a whole lot. I'm starting to get the impression that you don't really realize just how popular UND hockey is in GF and the state of ND. I know of people in WILLISTON, ND that have season tickets and drive all the way to GF every weekend the Sioux are in town...and believe it or not, there are a lot of intelligent hockey fans in ND.

I have lived in Grand Forks in the past and know all about UND hockey. I even have some Fido Purpur signed Chicago Black Hawks Pucks. There are a lot of intelligent hockey fans in ND. There are also a lot of people with UND season tickets that don't know much about hockey, the game or the history.

Here's a question for you, that you should know. Who was the losing goalie in the first Minnesota State High School Hockey Tourney Championship game?

In 1945, a Thief River Falls freshman goalie led the Prowlers to the Championship game. This was during the era when goalies did not wear masks. In warmups, he took a shot between the eyes, but still played, eventually losing to Eveleth 4-3. His name? Ralph Engelstad.

BisonMav
07-25-2006, 01:45 AM
Here's a question for you, that you should know. *Who was the losing goalie in the first Minnesota State High School Hockey Tourney Championship game?

In 1945, a Thief River Falls freshman goalie led the Prowlers to the Championship game. *This was during the era when goalies did not wear masks. *In warmups, he took a shot between the eyes, but still played, eventually losing to Eveleth 4-3. *His name? *Ralph Engelstad.[/quote]

Alright!

And where was it played?

Flanders
07-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Hmmmm...I don't know. The old U of M arena?

Dakota
08-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Here's a question for you, that you should know. *Who was the losing goalie in the first Minnesota State High School Hockey Tourney Championship game?

In 1945, a Thief River Falls freshman goalie led the Prowlers to the Championship game. *This was during the era when goalies did not wear masks. *In warmups, he took a shot between the eyes, but still played, eventually losing to Eveleth 4-3. *His name? *Ralph Engelstad.

Alright!

And where was it played?[/quote]
St. Petersburg or Moscow?

sambini
08-05-2006, 02:14 AM
Minsk

Dakota
08-05-2006, 08:47 PM
AS THE OL' BOLSHEVIKS WOULD SAY "DAS VIDANIYA"

sambini
08-06-2006, 03:07 AM
Were they drinking vodka DAKOTA?

gopher
08-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Were they drinking vodka DAKOTA?
AS THEY SAY IN MOSCOW "WADKA"!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Sticks
08-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Maybe you should go back to Moscow...

02Bison
08-09-2006, 01:13 AM
This thread is a disgrace to NDSU. This thread is a disgrace to UND. This thread is a digrace to Hockey. This thread is a disgrace to everything. C'mon guys. We're better than this. Its time to cut the crap from Bisonville! Who's with me! Admin, please lock or delete this thread and any other of its likeness!

bincitysioux
08-09-2006, 03:15 AM
I find it interesting that there is a 9 page thread devoted to college hockey on the fan-site of a school that doesn't sponsor the sport. 9 pages! The same number devoted to the big Bison-Gopher football game. Wow.

Just for the record, those of you that have brought up the point about the West Regionals in GF not being on local TV, please remember they were on a national cable channel (ever heard of the ESPN Network?), and the largest regional cable network in the Midwest (Fox Sports North). What channel (local, regional, or national) televised the big Bison-Badger basketball tilt this past year?

lakesbison
08-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Just proves that NDSU should have D 1 hockey. .

But GO GOPHERS!! I guess!!

Fox Sports Net is the ONLY station in the region that will televise ANY game...

NDSU at Minn bball, NDSU at Minn footbal on espn.

Wday is only station in the past to televise a local college game..

so.. you cant compare.. to your WHOPPING 3 games on FOX SPoRTS and 1 on ESPN on a thursday afternoon *YAWN* 1.2 rating..

NDSU SHOULD HAVE HOCKEY AT THE FARGODOME DAMMIT!! *i talked with Mike Bollinger at WeFest* he said, there is still interest and he still has 10 million to wager on it!!! But Fargo and the OLD people will vote it down...if it came up again

NDSUstudent
08-09-2006, 06:14 AM
For the last time let UND have hockey since they love it so much because basketball is where it is at. All hockey at NDSU would do is compete with hoops and drain our budget, Miles has laid the foundation for a great hoops program at SU and that is where our resources should go. If NDSU could turn into a Wichita State or UNI the state would be going crazy for NDSU hoops, the potential basketball has is just so great I don't understand why anybody would want to mess with it. Hockey is small potatoes, if you want NDSU to be a player on the national scene basketball should be the sport in the winter months.

bincitysioux
08-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Wday is only station in the past to televise a local college game..

I agree, Forum Communications has the television rights to both NDSU and UND athletics and does a fantastic job covering the local college sports season. Just last season ForumComm televised 23 UND hockey games, 4 UND football games, 4 UND basketball games, and 1 NDSU football game. That's a total of 32 local college sporting events. I think they do a fantastic job.

RedRiver
08-09-2006, 01:15 PM
I find it interesting that there is a 9 page thread devoted to college hockey on the fan-site of a school that doesn't sponsor the sport. *9 pages! *The same number devoted to the big Bison-Gopher football game. *Wow.

Just for the record, those of you that have brought up the point about the West Regionals in GF not being on local TV, please remember they were on a national cable channel (ever heard of the ESPN Network?), and the largest regional cable network in the Midwest (Fox Sports North). *What channel (local, regional, or national) televised the big Bison-Badger basketball tilt this past year?

Taped delayed is not live TV coverage. :) :)

BisonMav
08-09-2006, 01:31 PM
I find it interesting that there is a 9 page thread devoted to college hockey on the fan-site of a school that doesn't sponsor the sport. *9 pages! *The same number devoted to the big Bison-Gopher football game. *Wow.

It's not all about college hockey if you re-read the thread. ;)

bincitysioux
08-09-2006, 01:36 PM

Just for the record, those of you that have brought up the point about the West Regionals in GF not being on local TV, please remember they were on a national cable channel (ever heard of the ESPN Network?), and the largest regional cable network in the Midwest (Fox Sports North). *What channel (local, regional, or national) televised the big Bison-Badger basketball tilt this past year?

Taped delayed is not live TV coverage. *:) :)

It was live on ESPNU.

Gothmog
08-09-2006, 02:44 PM

Taped delayed is not live TV coverage. *:) :)

It was live on ESPNU.

With NDSU almost in the Mid-Con, I'd say you may get a real lesson in the popularity of NCAA basketball vs. hockey sooner than you think. NDSU will be able to qualify for the NCAA men's BB tournament as early as 2009 by simply winning the Mid-Con championship on the court. If Woodside and company stick around that is a very real possibility, especially with Valpo leaving. If it does happen, this state will go crazy for NDSU basketball in a way that it never has for UND hockey. UND's hockey accomplishments are great, but they don't even compare to what NDSU (and UND for that matter) now has a chance to accomplish in other, far more important, sports.

virgfoss
08-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Thing is, NOBODY on CBS, NBC or ABC talked about the big west region hockey thing in GF.

All three of the big networks talked about the big Bison-Badgers hoops tilt that weekend.

Considering 10-11 million viewers are watching each of those networks at any given time during college basketball on Saturdays, that's roughly 30 million folks.

College hockey has never tapped into those numbers considering only 250,000 people watched the hockey championship on ESPN this spring.

Let's see.....30,000,000 people watching bison bb highlights on NBC, ABC, CBS and hearing Dick Vitale talk about how nobody could stop Ben Woodside.
or......a handful of viewers watching UND hockey live on ESPNU.

You do the math sparky.

Game. Set. Match.
Next?

lakesbison
08-09-2006, 03:51 PM
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!

I've given them the ACTUAL Ratings from Nielson back in january and April.. and they STILL don't shut up ...

I LOVE HOCKEY!!!>. ( THE GOPHERS)... but even my good friends, Paul Martin, Grant Potulny and Danny Irman even admit that their sport is a NICHE!!!

If you don't know what NICHE is.. look it up >> www.dictionary.com

Flanders
08-09-2006, 08:56 PM
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!

I've given them the ACTUAL Ratings from Nielson back in january and April.. and they STILL don't shut up ...

I LOVE HOCKEY!!!>. ( THE GOPHERS)... but even my good friends, Paul Martin, Grant Potulny and Danny Irman even admit that their sport is a NICHE!!!

If you don't know what NICHE is.. look it up >> www.dictionary.com

Does your good friend Danny Irmen know that you've changed the spelling of his name?

lakesbison
08-09-2006, 09:04 PM
typo... fat fingers..

besides.. that doesnt dispute my facts with the ratings.. does it FLANDERS?!?

Dakota
08-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Go to page 6 on this thread. Some very interesting info!

sambini
08-10-2006, 03:48 AM
Thing is, NOBODY on CBS, NBC or ABC talked about the big west region hockey thing in GF.

All three of the big networks talked about the big Bison-Badgers hoops tilt that weekend. *

Considering 10-11 million viewers are watching each of those networks at any given time during college basketball on Saturdays, that's roughly 30 million folks. *

College hockey has never tapped into those numbers considering only 250,000 people watched the hockey championship on ESPN this spring.

Let's see.....30,000,000 people watching bison bb highlights on NBC, ABC, CBS and hearing Dick Vitale talk about how nobody could stop Ben Woodside.
or......a handful of viewers watching UND hockey live on ESPNU.

You do the math sparky.

Game. Set. Match.
Next?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ VERY GOOD ++++++++++++++++++