PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Knowitall's ranking of sports in Fargo

kchats
08-16-2006, 02:50 AM
If you have a Bison Zone subscription you can read Mike McFeely's blog called Mr. Knowitall. He ranks the sports in popularity as he sees it in Fargo/Moorehead.

http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/

It is down the page in the What we like section.

The top 3 are the Minnesota Vikings followed by the Minnesota Twins at 4 and everything NDSU at #5.

UND Hockey and Football come in at #7.

5. North Dakota State: Football, men's basketball and women's basketball -- in that order -- are the top dogs locally. I've also sensed in the past couple of years that the move to Division I has ratcheted up more interest from casual sports fans who are not necessarily hard-core Bison fans. The Division I stuff is fresh, it's different. If the upward arc continues, it's possible NDSU sports could (maybe, possibly) supplant the Twins at No. 2 behind the Vikings. That's a big if, though.

7. University of North Dakota: Great interest in hockey and football, less so for the hoops teams. Lots of UND grads in Fargo-Moorhead, plus some decent interest from the general sports fan. I have sensed, though, that there was a drop in general Fargo-Moorhead interest the past few years with NDSU going D-I and UND staying Division II. Without that football rivalry game generating gobs of water-cooler chatter and with the teams in different conferences and division, UND took a hit.

lakesbison
08-16-2006, 04:14 AM
J Kolpack
J Souhan
Sid Hartman
Charles Schultz
Moron Mcfooly

sambini
08-16-2006, 04:57 AM
Jeff KOLPACK and FOX SPORTS+++++++++++++++++++++

Wacker_in_the_Hall
08-16-2006, 05:19 AM
Sid Senile

J Kolpack
J Souhan
Sid Hartman
Charles Schultz
Moron Mcfooly

RedRiver
08-16-2006, 01:32 PM
If you have a Bison Zone subscription you can read Mike McFeely's blog called Mr. Knowitall. *He ranks the sports in popularity as he sees it in Fargo/Moorehead.

http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/

7. University of North Dakota: Great interest in hockey and football, less so for the hoops teams. Lots of UND grads in Fargo-Moorhead, plus some decent interest from the general sports fan. I have sensed, though, that there was a drop in general Fargo-Moorhead interest the past few years with NDSU going D-I and UND staying Division II. Without that football rivalry game generating gobs of water-cooler chatter and with the teams in different conferences and division, UND took a hit.

I actually agree with this assessment by Mr. Knowitall.

virgfoss
08-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Nobody comments on McFeely's little blog. Hallstrom and Kolpack get comments all the time because we actually respect them as real journalists. Poor Mike. That's the greatest diss we can give a writer - by not responding.

Gamehunter
08-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Nobody comments on McFeely's little blog. Hallstrom and Kolpack get comments all the time because we actually respect them as real journalists. Poor Mike. That's the greatest diss we can give a writer - by not responding.

++
I would suggest people continue to not comment there, even negatively, because all it does is fuel him further.

lakesbison
08-24-2006, 05:14 AM
I SECOND THAT MOTION!!

DONT POST THERE>. ha ha. .there is like 3 comments on 35 blog entries.. haha

Dakota
08-26-2006, 09:56 PM

Edited by tony (admin): When this count gets down to 0, Dakota is gone. Contribute to a discussion, knock if it off with the constant personal attacks, and stop hijacking threads.

sambini
08-27-2006, 03:00 AM
Whats a noggin?

Hammersmith
08-27-2006, 05:25 AM
Whats a noggin?
Dakota just uses that as his extremely creative[/sarcasm] way of calling someone a dick head. (Richard=dick Noggin=head)

BisonBacker
08-27-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't know why Tony allows it, the guy adds nothing to this board, hijacks threads and sends foul mouthed PM's. I guess when it comes to a Richard Noggin we all know who that really is, just look up the one user with about 20 aliases of which most were booted, unfortunately Tony hasn't kicked "Dakota" off the board yet, not that it would matter anyway he'd just create another one and then come on here and talk about himself and all his alter ego's anyway.

MinotBison
08-27-2006, 09:26 PM
I don't have a Bison Zone subscription, so I don't know where South High football would rank. But after watching them beat the crap out of Minot on Friday nite, I would think they would at least get some kind of mention.

Sticks
08-28-2006, 02:16 PM

Edited by tony (admin): When this count gets down to 0, Dakota is gone. Contribute to a discussion, knock if it off with the constant personal attacks, and stop hijacking threads.

He still gets EIGHT more hijacks before you're ousting him?????

NorthernBison
08-28-2006, 02:48 PM
SI had a story about the best HS football teams in the country. In addition to the top 20, they also picked the best team in each state. Their pick for ND was Fargo South. You can take that for what it's worth.

MinotBison
08-28-2006, 03:08 PM
SI had a story about the best HS football teams in the country. *In addition to the top 20, they also picked the best team in each state. *Their pick for ND was Fargo South. *You can take that for what it's worth.

After having watched them Friday night, I wouldn't disagree with that pick.

cadillac
08-28-2006, 09:17 PM
SOUTH GOT A GOOD TEAM AGAIN LED BY FORMER BISON KEVIN FEENEY.

Scooter
08-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Looks like the team at Fargo North has got some tallent as well. Nice win for the Spartans this weekend.

But, I'd take South over North at this time.

kchats
08-29-2006, 03:04 AM
SOUTH GOT A GOOD TEAM AGAIN LED BY FORMER BISON KEVIN FEENEY.

Kevin Feeney has done a great job at both Fargo Shanley and Fargo South. Do you think he will remain a high school coach like his dad or will he look to move up and coach at the college level? If he continues to progress he would be a great Bison coach someday. ;D

SirHinn
08-29-2006, 03:34 AM
Looks like the team at Fargo North has got some tallent as well. *Nice win for the Spartans this weekend.

Agreed with that assessment. I think North had the best game they'll have all year just because no one knew that they were going to a spread offense. Now that there is tape on them, other teams will be able to properly prepare for them.

South is just full of a bunch of freaks. They have 2 players who could look awfully good in Green and Gold.

MinotBison
08-29-2006, 04:01 AM
Looks like the team at Fargo North has got some tallent as well. *Nice win for the Spartans this weekend.

Agreed with that assessment. *I think North had the best game they'll have all year just because no one knew that they were going to a spread offense. *Now that there is tape on them, other teams will be able to properly prepare for them.

South is just full of a bunch of freaks. *They have 2 players who could look awfully good in Green and Gold.

I am guessing Vadnais and Richard might be those two?

Bisonguy
08-29-2006, 04:07 AM

Agreed with that assessment. *I think North had the best game they'll have all year just because no one knew that they were going to a spread offense. *Now that there is tape on them, other teams will be able to properly prepare for them.

South is just full of a bunch of freaks. *They have 2 players who could look awfully good in Green and Gold.

I am guessing Vadnais and Richard might be those two?

I would guess Solum and Richard.

MinotBison
08-29-2006, 04:43 AM
I watched the game Friday night, and both Solum and Richard would be excellent additions to the Herd roster.

NDSUstudent
08-31-2006, 06:07 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=138223&section=Columnists&columnist=M ike%20McFeely

Mr. Knowitall chimes in on NDSU's upcoming seasons, he made some decent points but the article turned into birdcage liner after he said, "Ball St is an automatic loss" and, "NDSU will lose to Cal Poly at home because they always lose at least one home game." I still can't believe how cautious the local media is about the best NDSU team in the Bohl era, they all seem to think we can't beat GSU, UCD, and Ball St on the road and will lose to Cal Poly at home. Those are the 4 close ones on the Bison schedule and I have to believe NDSU takes one of those games. Mark it down 8-3 or 7-4, these guys are going to be off just like they were about NDSU's basketball team last year(Not one of them thought they would win more then ten games).

IowaBison
08-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Mark it down 8-3 or 7-4, these guys are going to be off just like they were about NDSU's basketball team last year(Not one of them thought they would win more then ten games).

You're pretty good with than hindsight thing, NDSUstudent. :)

Nobody thought NDSU would beat Wisconsin, is the entire nation full of sh$t too? :P

TaTonka_31
09-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Mark it down 8-3 or 7-4, these guys are going to be off just like they were about NDSU's basketball team last year(Not one of them thought they would win more then ten games).

You're pretty good with than hindsight thing, NDSUstudent. *:)

Nobody thought NDSU would beat Wisconsin, is the entire nation full of sh$t too? *:P

Not that I follow such things very closely, but were there even odds on the Wisconsin/NDSU game last year? It had to be one of the biggest upsets odds wise in all sports last season.

Scooter
09-14-2006, 10:53 PM

You're pretty good with than hindsight thing, NDSUstudent. *:)

Nobody thought NDSU would beat Wisconsin, is the entire nation full of sh$t too? *:P

Not that I follow such things very closely, but were there even odds on the Wisconsin/NDSU game last year? *It had to be one of the biggest upsets odds wise in all sports last season. *

I'm a huge Bison fan.

Even I know there has to be a limit as to the amount of times you should be able to use the "Wisconsin Win" card before it gets really tiresome for non Bison fans and they stop paying attention to what you are saying.

*Save that "Trump Card" for when you really need it. *It loses it's punch if used to frequently.

TaTonka_31
09-15-2006, 04:14 AM
Once the 2006-2007 basketball season starts, I am sure the Wisconsin win will be ancient history. *This years team will hopefully bring us some more big wins to talk about. *Until then it would seem strange not to bring it up. It's still fun to bask. **

DORMIE
09-15-2006, 02:01 PM
The two tackles are pretty big. I work with the Vadnais kid's dad. Both are 6-4 Austin Richard's weight fluctuates between 320 and 330. Jordan Vadnais is between 305 and 315. We have offered Austin. Jordan would like to be a Bison. He was the outstanding lineman at the Bison camp this summer. My customer service representative here at work is the mother of Josh Horner. Josh is a junior at South. In 3 games he has 6 TD's Kick offs 80 and 90, punt 50, runs 75,74 and 41. Keep an eye on this kid.