PDA

View Full Version : Tennis & Swimming and the Mid-Con

BisonSig
10-28-2006, 11:00 PM
I was looking at the Mid-Con http://www.mid-con.com/ web page and noticed that they have Tennis and Swimming as sponsored sports. Any word on whether the Bison intend to have either added in the future? I know we used to have swimming back in the 80's.

imabison
10-29-2006, 04:16 PM
I was looking at the Mid-Con http://www.mid-con.com/ web page and noticed that they have Tennis and Swimming as sponsored sports. Any word on whether the Bison intend to have either added in the future? I know we used to have swimming back in the 80's.

I am certain it was said early on the NDSU would not have to add any sports.

STC_TFA
10-29-2006, 07:23 PM
I do not think we will have to add anything........

BisonSig
10-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Sorry, I guess I meant are we going to be adding?... not do we have to add.

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-29-2006, 10:11 PM
If we were going to add either one of these sports we would have to spend some money on facilities. We only have a couple crappy tennis courts and I'm guessing we'd have to upgrade our swimming facilities if we were going to support a D-I program. As such, I think we would be unlikely to spend any significant amount of money on new facilities for non-revenue sports at this point.

imabison
10-30-2006, 12:39 AM
If we were going to add either one of these sports we would have to spend some money on facilities. We only have a couple crappy tennis courts and I'm guessing we'd have to upgrade our swimming facilities if we were going to support a D-I program. As such, I think we would be unlikely to spend any significant amount of money on new facilities for non-revenue sports at this point.

Will the swimming facitily be upgraded as part of the BSA remodeling?

kchats
10-30-2006, 02:11 AM
I thought I heard they might be fixing the pool up at the BSA because women's swimming and diving is a sport that can be added for gender equity (title IX).

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-30-2006, 12:58 PM
I hadn't thought of the Title IX angle, so maybe they would think about adding swimming and diving. They would have to significantly upgrade the facilities though.

mikelsch
10-30-2006, 03:32 PM
No plans to make the pool bigger or add sports at NDSU

BisonSig
10-31-2006, 12:00 AM
Darn, puts us at a disadvantage to win the Commissioner's Cup http://www.mid-con.com/commissioner/ , which I feel should be a goal for NDSU. After all in for a penny in for a pound.

valpotx
10-31-2006, 09:38 PM
No plans to make the pool bigger or add sports at NDSU

You don't need a quality facility to be in D-1 for S&D. Several schools in the Mid-Con have sub-par pools, us included. It doesn't help recruiting any to have a bad facility, but it is a good option for the Title IX if you guys ever go D-1 in football.

IowaBisonToo
11-01-2006, 03:07 PM
What do you need for swimming? *A pool! *What do you need for diving? *A pool and diving boards! *All of these things NDSU has. *Sure, it's not an olympic-class pool but, you wouldn't need that. *It has 6 lanes (I believe) and that's plenty for the size of team NDSU would "field." *Now is it lacking in terms of seating? *Sure. *But then again, who watches swimming and diving? *When I swam in high school and St Cloud State, the only people that came to watch were parents and MAYBE a few friends. *In fact, I never once saw my two best friends at the pool watching - not once! *No big deal. *I knew it wasn't a big deal to anyone else and I knew there really wasn't any support for the teams but hey, it was my sport and I took pride in it. *That's all that mattered.

NDSU could do a fine job putting a women's team in the pool - especially if they were able to offer scholarships to some extent. *I think when I was at SCSU, there were maybe 2 or 3 full that the men's team had that were split amongst 6-10 of the team. *You offer 6-8 scholarships that could be split up between 12-20 girls, you'd get them to come from other teams (recruit girls that thought about going to other teams). *I'd actually be interested to see if any of the SDSU fans that visit the board know how it's done down there.

Oh, yeah. *You better be ready to include some budget money, too. *No idea how much but I could see it upwards of the $250,000/year range if not more. *Just guessing, though.

mikelsch
11-01-2006, 03:45 PM
NDSU can't hold any type of DI competition with the size of the current pool

IowaBisonToo
11-01-2006, 07:42 PM
If they're duals, why not? 6 lanes, 3 swimmers per team per event. I don't see what the problem with that would be.

mikelsch
11-01-2006, 07:52 PM
If they're duals, why not? *6 lanes, 3 swimmers per team per event. *I don't see what the problem with that would be.

Call the NCAA and tell them to change their rules

NDSUFREAK10
11-02-2006, 01:36 AM
I would love to see tennis at NDSU. I am a tennis player for Fargo South and i have seen the talent that the state North Dakota has.
To get a decent facility (which would have to be inside) probably wouldnt be a priority to get.

The season would be in the spring btw

sambini
11-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Thanks for your insight+++

IowaBisonToo
11-02-2006, 02:06 PM
If they're duals, why not? *6 lanes, 3 swimmers per team per event. *I don't see what the problem with that would be.

Call the NCAA and tell them to change their rules
Sorry. I guess I'm not familiar with the NCAA rules as they stand now as they pertain to pool size, etc. But, you could've elaborated a bit instead of just saying "Call the NCAA . . ." :-?