PDA

View Full Version : New sports

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Whether you want to add or even eliminate a sport, talk about it here.

kchats
01-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Swimming (women's specifically) would be a great addition. Not that expensive a sport and the Mid Con has it.

2006gwfcchamps
01-01-2007, 12:45 AM
I'd like to get rid of golf (no on campus course, let UND have that one) and get swimming. Much better chance for NDSU to compete for national titles and gives more local high school swimmers an oppertunity to compete at the highest non olympic level.

Tennis, no, same as golf, not much local talent, we'll never be able to compete with the southern states.

If we could figure out a way to add only men's hockey and get in the WCHA, I'd say yes. Otherwise, no.

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 12:55 AM
I'd like to get rid of golf (no on campus course, let UND have that one) and get swimming. Much better chance for NDSU to compete for national titles and gives more local high school swimmers an oppertunity to compete at the highest non olympic level.

Tennis, no, same as golf, not much local talent, we'll never be able to compete with the southern states.

If we could figure out a way to add only men's hockey and get in the WCHA, I'd say yes. Otherwise, no.

And I dont think that we would be able to get that done with ONLY mens hockey.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Yeah, if they added hockey they would have to add both men's and women's. I would like to see golf KO'd just on the basis of my not really considering golf to be a real sport, but if we were to do that we would need to add a better sport and I'm not sure what that would be. Swimming is an interesting option, but I am 100% against hockey. Don't need it, don't want it.

Bison101
01-01-2007, 01:43 AM
This was a tough one for me but I went with Womens swimming. The reason being is that DI football is in the future for the Bison. It may be a decade, maybe longer, but lets start the ground work now. Plus, it would be nice since it is part of the Mid con. I would also like to Womens Equestrian.

It is my personal dream that NDSU Football becomes such a cash cow that we can someday start up Hockey. However, if NDSU makes it to the big Dance in 08-09, forget about it. This town will be DI basketball nuts.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Women's equestrian? Really? We already have two golf teams and I think that fills our "ridiculous sports that aren't real sports" quota. If we are going to add sports I think swimming is the way to go. I can't say that at this point I think additional sports are the way to go, but I could live with swimming. No hockey or equestrian for me though.

Hammersmith
01-01-2007, 08:15 PM
I'll also throw in for W Equestrian. Not because I really care about it, but because it would solve our Title IX issues in one tidy stroke. The fact that SDSU also offers it and that it would make greater use of the horse park/center are also points it its favor. Maybe tennis after that. New courts would be cheaper than a new swimming facility.

To fully fund men's athletics and maintain Title IX proportionality, we would need to add ~16.8 womens' scholarships.
W Equestrian: 15
W Swimming: 14
M Swimming: 9.9
W Tennis: 8
M Tennis: 4.5

lakesbison
01-01-2007, 08:29 PM
ADD MENS HOCKEY ONLY with the following matches:

Hockey: 22
Baseball:7 more!!!!

Hammersmith
01-01-2007, 08:38 PM
ADD MENS HOCKEY ONLY with the following matches:

Hockey: 22
Baseball:7 more!!!!

I don't quite understand what you mean. M Hockey is 18, not 22, and Baseball is 11.7. If we were to fully fund every sport we currently have and add M Hockey, we would need to add about 31.5 womens' scholies to be safe from Title IX lawsuits. The two womens' sports you listed would be enough, but our pool is not to DI standards(to my knowledge); although I don't know how big of a problem that would be. Of course, if some of the sports aren't fully funded, then all the calculations go out the window.

lakesbison
01-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I hear ya.. i was just guessing at # of hockey schollies.

I dont see how we can be punished by having more women's schollies than mens.

if we add Hockey and 2 womens sports (NOT WOMENS HOCKEY!!!)

I just think HOCKEY at NDSU would quickly become #3 sport behind football and mens bball ..

Let Brandt, Mike Bullinger build a $30-40 Million dollar 8,000 hockey arena, and with Moorhead , Fargo schools, Detroit lakes, Fergus falls hockey people, we could consistantly fill that.

Hell Moorhead vs Fargo South last week held 3,000!!!

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-01-2007, 08:56 PM

And I dont think that we would be able to get that done with ONLY mens hockey.

Golf---no local talent...lets see Doeden....Askew....Schultz...Hanson....Persons

We have better swimmers?

NOT

Mr._Bill
01-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Keep golf please! If we are adding sports we need to look at the mid-con profile. I'd say we start with Womens swimming or tennis, followed by Men's soccer. Any additions should fill out the conference profile. I'd like to see men's soccer or volleyball someday.

Hockey . . . no thanks!

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-02-2007, 07:48 AM
I just don't want to see sports getting added right now that will end up causing problems that lead to a dropping of programs later. So, I'd advocate waiting a while to start doing this sort of expansion.

sambini
01-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Swimming we would need a new pool. The one we have now has 7 lanes, golf not any local talent? Wacker is right and those boys all played at local high schools. Hockey you have to add womens hockey with title 9...

IowaBisonToo
01-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Let UND have golf and NDSU swimming???? :-? Have you looked at the history of UND's swimming program? It's very good! When I swam at SCS, they were constantly THE team to beat in the NCC. They have good facilities, coaches and recruits. I'd say add tennis and women's equestrian. Keep the golf programs. Also, I don't understand why it's a prerequisite to have a golf course on campus. Besides, how sucky would that be to have a golf course directly to the south of the airports runway which is about the only land that would be available for an "on campus" golf course. I'd never play there. Hell, it's bad enough out at Edgewood when the fighters are flying. Can you imagine what it would be like right next to the airport? Here's your sign. :)

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-02-2007, 03:59 PM
We are seriously going to add women's equestrian? This is absolutely the last sport I want to see added. Money and logistics aside, it is a ridiculous sport that doesn't belong in the athletic department.

IowaBisonToo
01-02-2007, 04:36 PM
We are seriously going to add women's equestrian? *This is absolutely the last sport I want to see added. *Money and logistics aside, it is a ridiculous sport that doesn't belong in the athletic department.
Yeah, it is. But, if it helps meet Title IX without putting to much money into it, why not?

runtheoption
01-02-2007, 10:15 PM
We are seriously going to add women's equestrian? *This is absolutely the last sport I want to see added. *Money and logistics aside, it is a ridiculous sport that doesn't belong in the athletic department.
Yeah, it is. *But, if it helps meet Title IX without putting to much money into it, why not?

Hopefully women's rugby could fit this bill in a few years. *I believe it is close to becoming a NCAA sponsored activity, is not very expensive (see quote below), plus, it is a "real" sport with blood, running, tackling, and extreme exhaustion. *There are quite a few girl high school clubs in the Twin Cities, so there is a local recruiting base. *Nationally, 2 of the top 5 senior women's clubs (non-collegiate affiliated, usually women aged 23-35) are in the Cities, the Minnesota Valkyries and the Twin Cities Amazons.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4j3NQDJgFjGpvqRqC KO6AI-YXARX4_83FR9b_0A_YLc0NCIckdFAEuT364!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfTFU!?CONTENT_URL=h ttp://www1.ncaa.org/membership/membership_svcs/emerging_sports/sports/rugby

"Annual Cost of Program: *Approximately $90,000 to $100,000 annual operating costs, excluding scholarships (depends on road schedule and desire to showcase the team nationally) and including approximate coaches' salaries, equipment, travel, per diem, hotels, officials, recruiting, additional training room and academic support." * *

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-03-2007, 12:41 AM
How about women's lacrosse? Is that a possibility?

2006gwfcchamps
01-03-2007, 05:40 PM
I was wrong about local golf talent. It's there.

I am also wrong about swimming, too expensive to add and UND has quite the program already (I didn't realize that until now).

Where do the local golf talents go after high school? It seems to me that if you were serious about a professional career, you certainly would not stick around ND.

NDSU will never build an on campus golf course. I don't want them too. Too expensive and no where good to put it.

But, and this is going to be my position, if we can't put practice facilities at least (ideally both practice and gameday facilities) on campus, we don't have any business having the sport. So, I say we get rid of both golf programs.

UND has an on campus course. Let them have the local golf talent, if those players actually want to stay up here (my guess is that they all head south if they're serious about it).

That still gives us football, men's basketball, wrestling, men's cross country/indoor/outdoor track, baseball, women's basketball, volleyball, women's soccer, softball, and women's cross country/indoor/outdoor track.

That's 14 sports which is the minimum for FCS DI schools. And it saves some decent money on scholarships (which can be given to other sports, baseball probably isn't fully funded), coaches salery, and travel.

sambini
01-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Tom Hoge of Fargo South is going to TCU.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-03-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't really want to see sports dropped at this point, but I'd have to say that if I were going to axe programs the golf teams (men's at least so the women's team would still contribute to title IX balance, which I don't really know where we stand) would definitely be the two to go. I'd really like to see us stay with our current sports though unless it becomes clear that cuts need to be made or there is a golden opportunity to expand our offerings.

2006gwfcchamps
01-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Title IX merely means that NDSU needs to provide equal oppertunities to both genders relative to the ratio of student enrollment.

According to OPE, NDSU has a FUE of 5730 (54.6%) men and 4766 women and we've got 223 unduplicated men (67.5%) participating to 107 women.

Those 2 percentages are pretty good. I'd say we're pretty good with title IX right now. I doubt that getting rid of only men's golf changes that number much.

I'd rather cut both and save the money for the rest of our sports if we were thinking about cutting either.

RodentiaX1
01-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Lacrosse is possible, but it is largely an East Coast sport, the travel costs might be prohibitive. Now, if some midwest schools took their club-level lacrosse programs to varsity level, perhaps a new NCAA lacrosse conference could be formed.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-04-2007, 12:52 PM
I wasn't sure where we stood on the Title IX numbers, so now that I do I guess I'd agree that if we are going to cut one golf team we might as well do both. Having said that, I'd prefer not to cut either.

2006gwfcchamps
01-04-2007, 01:57 PM
If Lacrosse starts gaining popularity in the next 10 years, I wouldn't mind getting a women's team.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-04-2007, 02:10 PM
I think women's lacrosse just became an official sport of the Minnesota State High School League just within the past five years or so, so it has the potential to grow in the area.

NDSUFREAK10
01-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Lacrosse would be a great sport to get. NDSU could easily use Dacotah Field.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Are there currently any plans for Dacotah field? If not, at least lacrosse would give us a use for it.

roadwarrior
01-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Wouldnt lacrosee be played on the soccer field? I think the sun has taken its toll on the surface at Dacotah Field.

NDSUFREAK10
01-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Wouldnt lacrosee be played on the soccer field? *I think the sun has taken its toll on the surface at Dacotah Field.

replace it?? how much would that cost?

roadwarrior
01-05-2007, 02:40 PM
More than there is sitting around in the piggy bank.

2006gwfcchamps
01-05-2007, 03:43 PM
I'd like to see the infield of the track replaced with artificial turf with lines for both soccer and lacrosse. If we ever did get lacrosse, that is where it would be played.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-05-2007, 03:54 PM
That would make more sense than Dacotah, I guess. Does anybody know what they are planning to do with the space/partial stadium left at Dacotah? I'd just think something would be done with it eventually.

roadwarrior
01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
The plans for the BSA drawn up a couple of years ago has an addition on the west side of the existing BSA, that would basically require demo of the old stadium.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-05-2007, 08:05 PM
I guess that would be fine with me if that is what happens. I just kind of wondered how long the field was just going to sit there apparently unused. Practice field, BSA expansion, doesn't matter to me either way I guess.

Trimmy
01-10-2007, 03:27 AM
I see some dudes playing Cricket there every once in awhile.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-10-2007, 04:47 AM
I used to see them playing out on the Dacotah surface. I roomed with an Aussie this year for a bit and learned some about cricket. Interesting game, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet.

RodentiaX1
01-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Physics is easy. Understanding the rules of cricket, now THAT is hard! ;)

If women's rugby became an NCAA sport, it might be possible to get on the ground floor of a new rugby conference, with schools moving their rugby club to varsity status. With Lacrosse as an MSHSL sport, that means that there will be Minnesota girls looking for scholarships. The Gophers do not have a varsity lacrosse program. That's could be an opportunity to get some talent, although finding a conference might be a challenge, at least at first. It might be a leap in the dark, but if NDSU built up a decent lacrosse team, they might have an advantage when other area teams started lacrosse programs.

BTownJack
01-17-2007, 02:24 AM
Most of you obviously don't realize what kind of golf talent has come out of Fargo/Eastern ND the past decade or so. *Most of the names have already been metioned here so I won't bother repeating them. *Shane McMenamy is another name to add to the list. *He was from Grand Forks and won the USGA Jr. Amateur. *If you don't know, that is the largest most pretigious junior golf tournament in the country. *Shane ended up going to Arizona State University which is one of the best college golf programs in the country. *Fargo South HS is also known for having a dynamite high school boys golf program and that have won numerous high school team titles. *As someone mentioned before, Tom Hoge is heading to TCU next fall on a golf scholarship, this is the same school Andy Doeden went to. *The local talent is more than plentiful just in Fargo alone!

As for cutting the programs, you aren't going to be saving yourself a whole lot. *The golf program's budgets are minimal (likely less than 70,000) considering the overall athletic budget is in the 7-9 million range (?). *So if you are to cut them you wouldn't be reaping many benefits in other sports. *The same argument applies to scholarships as well.

I'd suggest keeping your golf programs and think of other ways to become Title IX compliant. *

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-17-2007, 03:27 AM
Tommy is headed to TCU, not sure he is on scholarship to start off. Nonetheless he is a great talent

sambini
01-17-2007, 04:08 AM
David Schultz is also a Fargo South alum and TCU golf alum..

BTownJack
01-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Tommy is headed to TCU, not sure he is on scholarship to start off. *Nonetheless he is a great talent
Well, I'm not sure what kind of scholarship he's getting but he must be getting some money since he signed a letter of intent. *You can't sign one of those unless there is a scholarship involved. *Could mean $100 to a full ride?

2006gwfcchamps
01-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Most of you obviously don't realize what kind of golf talent has come out of Fargo/Eastern ND the past decade or so. Most of the names have already been metioned here so I won't bother repeating them. Shane McMenamy is another name to add to the list. He was from Grand Forks and won the USGA Jr. Amateur. If you don't know, that is the largest most pretigious junior golf tournament in the country. Shane ended up going to Arizona State University which is one of the best college golf programs in the country. Fargo South HS is also known for having a dynamite high school boys golf program and that have won numerous high school team titles. As someone mentioned before, Tom Hoge is heading to TCU next fall on a golf scholarship, this is the same school Andy Doeden went to. The local talent is more than plentiful just in Fargo alone!

As I said, I was wrong about ND golf talent.

But also as I said, if they're serious about playing professional, the worst thing they could do is stay in their home state. They need to be somewhere that they can practice year round.

As for cutting the programs, you aren't going to be saving yourself a whole lot.

I know that.

Again, as I said before, the money would go toward making baseball and other sports like that fully funded.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-17-2007, 02:43 PM
While baseball desperately needs to be funded more (Gene, seriously) I don't think that cutting other programs to get the funding up is the right way to go about it.

2006gwfcchamps
01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
We only need 14 sports to be FCS.

I'd rather put more money into less sports and be good at those sports than spread it around to a bunch of sports that we'll never have a chance at.

imabison
01-17-2007, 05:38 PM
We only need 14 sports to be FCS.

I'd rather put more money into less sports and be good at those sports than spread it around to a bunch of sports that we'll never have a chance at.

When NDSU announced the transition to FCS, Team Makers agreed that it would do its best to fund full scholarships in all sports.

Join Team Makers today. I want to say the minimum is now $ 150. I know gobison.com needs to be updated.

2006gwfcchamps
01-17-2007, 08:04 PM
And getting down to 14 sports would make that easier.

DenverBison05
01-17-2007, 08:23 PM
And getting down to 14 sports would make that easier.

Are you crazy. We are in year 3 of the transition and all of our sports have been at least competitive, but you wont to cut 2 of them? ::) Plus if we ever go to the FBS we will need those sports.

2006gwfcchamps
01-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Plus if we ever go to the FBS we will need those sports.

Cross that bridge if we come to it.

For now, we can use the money.

DenverBison05
01-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Cross that bridge if we come to it.

For now, we can use the money.

Thats the stupidest thing Ive ever heard. Do you know how much bad publicity NDSU will get for cutting a sport because of a perceived lack of money? Especially since cutting golf will net us less then 100K.

2006gwfcchamps
01-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Portland State cut both of it's tennis programs a while back. They survived.

DenverBison05
01-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Portland State cut both of it's tennis programs a while back. They survived.

I sure hope we never come to the point where we feel its good to compare ourselves to Portland State :-X

kchats
01-18-2007, 03:04 AM
The minimum donation to Team Makers is still $100 and every little bit counts. Join today, PM Sambini and he will get you the details.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-18-2007, 03:41 AM
Most of you obviously don't realize what kind of golf talent has come out of Fargo/Eastern ND the past decade or so. *Most of the names have already been metioned here so I won't bother repeating them. *Shane McMenamy is another name to add to the list. *He was from Grand Forks and won the USGA Jr. Amateur. *If you don't know, that is the largest most pretigious junior golf tournament in the country. *Shane ended up going to Arizona State University which is one of the best college golf programs in the country. *Fargo South HS is also known for having a dynamite high school boys golf program and that have won numerous high school team titles. *As someone mentioned before, Tom Hoge is heading to TCU next fall on a golf scholarship, this is the same school Andy Doeden went to. *The local talent is more than plentiful just in Fargo alone!

As I said, I was wrong about ND golf talent.

But also as I said, if they're serious about playing professional, the worst thing they could do is stay in their home state. They need to be somewhere that they can practice year round.

As for cutting the programs, you aren't going to be saving yourself a whole lot. *

I know that.

Again, as I said before, the money would go toward making baseball and other sports like that fully funded.

Because we have such a good baseball team..........And a climate that is perfect for baseball

2006gwfcchamps
01-18-2007, 03:08 PM
I sure hope we never come to the point where we feel its good to compare ourselves to Portland State

They have one of the better FCS programs in the nation.

2006gwfcchamps
01-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Because we have such a good baseball team..........And a climate that is perfect for baseball

He have the potential for national exposure in baseball.

Not in golf.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-18-2007, 04:06 PM

Baseball was making very significant strides before the transition, but the loss of several experienced players right before the first year of D-I stunted the growth of the program at the time and it is going to take a couple years to get it back on track. If Gene would ever give Mitch more than about $1.75 a year for recruiting, it could be a quality program on par with the Gophers.

2006gwfcchamps
01-18-2007, 04:37 PM
How do we compare to SDSU, UNI, and Drake in baseball?

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-18-2007, 04:44 PM
I'd say that right now it would stack up as this:
1. UNI
2. SDSU
3. NDSU

**Drake doesn't have baseball.

In spite of this, SDSU and UNI are not out of NDSU's reach if we start actually committing some resources towards them. *With increased scholarship and recruiting money NDSU could turn out to be the best of these three programs, but the funding needs to be in place first before too much significant progress is made.

mikelsch
01-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Honest question for those that have been through the baseball program,

If the requested funding was in place, are the right coaches in place to take advantage of it?

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-18-2007, 08:49 PM

He have the potential for national exposure in baseball.

Not in golf.

Our climate will limit both programs, both from recruiting and actual practice and development

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Baseball was making very significant strides before the transition, but the loss of several experienced players right before the first year of D-I stunted the growth of the program at the time and it is going to take a couple years to get it back on track. *If Gene would ever give Mitch more than about $1.75 a year for recruiting, it could be a quality program on par with the Gophers.

The Gophers have always had a great program and have produced many Major League players. We may have better facilities, it will take a long time to get on Par with Gophers. (Winfield-Molitor-Steinbach-Wilson-etc...........)

2006gwfcchamps
01-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Our climate will limit both programs, both from recruiting and actual practice and development

Not with a new indoor practice facility.

You can practice all the core skills of baseball in one of those.

You can never simulate being on the course in the same way. Golfers need to be hitting the links year round.

BTownJack
01-18-2007, 09:38 PM

You can never simulate being on the course in the same way. Golfers need to be hitting the links year round.
Teams in this part of the country can compete. If golfers need to be hitting the links year-round, how do you explain how the U of M won the NCAA national championship in 2002 and just last spring placed 3rd?

But this is 2006gwfcchamps, he knows EVERYTHING so I'm sure you'll have some wise response with little to know evidence. That would be par for the course for you (pun intended).

2006gwfcchamps
01-18-2007, 10:42 PM
How do you know what the UM golfers do for practice?

For all you know, the U could be sending them down to Florida every weekend to practice. They have that kind of money. NDSU doesn't.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-18-2007, 11:42 PM

Teams in this part of the country can compete. *If golfers need to be hitting the links year-round, how do you explain how the U of M won the NCAA national championship in 2002 and just last spring placed 3rd? *

But this is 2006gwfcchamps, he knows EVERYTHING so I'm sure you'll have some wise response with little to know evidence. *That would be par for the course for you (pun intended). *

+++++++

Amen to that----It is amazing that one guy could have so much knowledge...........

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-19-2007, 03:05 AM

If the requested funding was in place, are the right coaches in place to take advantage of it?

I think that with the proper financial support, the current coaching staff could definitely mold NDSU into a winning program. I'm not sure about taking it to regionals, etc, because that is simply so far off down the horizon right now that I'm not really sure how possible it is. But there is definitely the potential on this coaching staff to make it into a quality regional school, which is probably what we have all hoped for all along.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-19-2007, 03:10 AM
The Gophers have always had a great program and have produced many Major League players. *We may have better facilities, it will take a long time to get on Par with Gophers. *(Winfield-Molitor-Steinbach-Wilson-etc...........)

Let's take notice of how long ago those guys played. More recently the only guys they have produced are Rob Quinlan who saw brief action with the Angels and Kerry Lightenberg, who did all of his developing at U of M--Morris before the Gophers opened their eyes and nabbed him. Minnesota is a quality program, but to say they are a great program is totally inaccurate at this point. They beat up on the Little Eleven during the regular season, win a couple non-conference games and then go two-and-barbecue in the regionals if they get invited. They are the class of the Little Eleven and I'd like to see NDSU get to that level, but to call them a great program is ridiculous.

IowaBisonToo
01-19-2007, 12:34 PM

For all you know, the U could be sending them down to Florida every weekend to practice. They have that kind of money. NDSU doesn't.
Sending them to Fla every weekend????? *PUT DOWN THE KOOL-AID AND STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE!!! *That has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. U of MN has a lot of money but with them probably running their budget in the red as most large schools do, I doubt they're going to add this to the bottom line. Hell, as long as they're sending them to Fla, why not just send them to Hawaii and Arizona, too, every third weekend? I'm sure you could recruit the best players in the nation consistently if you told them they'd be able to do that. :o ::)

Can you imagine the money it would take to fly, what 20 people (mens and womens and coaches) to Fla every weekend, rent hotel rooms, pay for meals, pay for transportation and pay for greens fees??? *Let's just say that was the case. *Let's try and break down the costs associated with this per person.
$300 airfare
$100 hotel (4 to a room)
$100 food stipend
$50 ground transportation (if they're lucky)
$50 greens fees (work a deal out with a course)
Total per person ~$600/weekend x 20 people = $12,000/weekend.
Figure they play from the beginning of November to the end of March. *Minus the holiday weekends your talking ~18 weekends x $12,000/weekend = $216,000 per year just on "practice" and this is probably on the low side. *When do the students study? *When are they able to be college students - not professionals?
I think you could build a pretty nice practice facility with indoor driving range, bunkers, putting greens and the like for a few years of that kind of jing.

Come on "2006." *Think before you speak. *It lends more credability to your statements. *

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-19-2007, 01:18 PM

I think that with the proper financial support, the current coaching staff could definitely mold NDSU into a winning program. *I'm not sure about taking it to regionals, etc, because that is simply so far off down the horizon right now that I'm not really sure how possible it is. *But there is definitely the potential on this coaching staff to make it into a quality regional school, which is probably what we have all hoped for all along.

They better find a sugar -daddy, because they wont get it from the Athletic Department

2006gwfcchamps
01-19-2007, 02:48 PM
If we cut the golf programs, then the AD could give them some extra cash.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-19-2007, 03:01 PM
If we cut the golf programs, then the AD could give them some extra cash.

Don't hold your breath dude....aint gonna happen

D_One_here_we_come
01-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Womens Gymnastics, we have some of the best HS talent in the country in the FM area!

2006gwfcchamps
01-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Don't hold your breath dude....aint gonna happen

I'm not. I don't think it will either.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-19-2007, 05:04 PM
They better find a sugar -daddy, because they wont get it from the Athletic Department

As sad as this statement is and as much as I would really like it to be untrue, I'd say that I have to agree.

BTownJack
01-19-2007, 06:13 PM

Sending them to Fla every weekend????? *PUT DOWN THE KOOL-AID AND STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE!!! *That has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. *U of MN has a lot of money but with them probably running their budget in the red as most large schools do, I doubt they're going to add this to the bottom line. *Hell, as long as they're sending them to Fla, why not just send them to Hawaii and Arizona, too, every third weekend? *I'm sure you could recruit the best players in the nation consistently if you told them they'd be able to do that. :o ::)

Can you imagine the money it would take to fly, what 20 people (mens and womens and coaches) to Fla every weekend, rent hotel rooms, pay for meals, pay for transportation and pay for greens fees??? *Let's just say that was the case. *Let's try and break down the costs associated with this per person.
$300 airfare
$100 hotel (4 to a room)
$100 food stipend
$50 ground transportation (if they're lucky)
$50 greens fees (work a deal out with a course)
Total per person ~$600/weekend x 20 people = $12,000/weekend.
Figure they play from the beginning of November to the end of March. *Minus the holiday weekends your talking ~18 weekends x $12,000/weekend = $216,000 per year just on "practice" and this is probably on the low side. *When do the students study? *When are they able to be college students - not professionals?
I think you could build a pretty nice practice facility with indoor driving range, bunkers, putting greens and the like for a few years of that kind of jing.

Come on "2006." *Think before you speak. *It lends more credability to your statements. *
Let's not forget to mention that there is likely a NCAA rule prohibiting flying to Florida every weekend or any weekend for that matter. I can't say that for sure but if you want me to do some research I sure will. 2006gwfcchamps has already wore out his welcome on the SDSU board with his go for broke statements with little to no evidence. I can see he's well on his way to doing that here as well.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-19-2007, 10:35 PM
No research necessary, I'm pretty sure that this wouldn't really fly with the NCAA, not to mention the university would have to be pretty insane to think it was a good idea.

2006gwfcchamps
01-19-2007, 10:54 PM
The U still has a 50 million athletic budget. We have 9.

Obviously they are financially able to offer their golfers a fighting chance. We can't do the same.

99Bison
01-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Womens Gymnastics, we have some of the best HS talent in the country in the FM area!

This is interesting thought, and very true.

sambini
01-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Very expensive also.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-21-2007, 10:09 PM
I think that down the line, once all of our current sports are fully funded, I think that NDSU has a lot of interesting prospects for new sports. Having said that, we are not fully funded yet and I'd like to see that happen before new sports are put on the table.

IowaBisonToo
01-22-2007, 02:09 PM
The U still has a 50 million athletic budget. We have 9.

Obviously they are financially able to offer their golfers a fighting chance. We can't do the same.
$50MM and they still run in the red. It doesn't matter whether they have the money or not, it's not happening or going to happen.

2006gwfcchamps
01-22-2007, 02:20 PM
In 2005-06 UM had 55419103 expenses and 56914887 revenue. How is that running in the red?

I don't think it will happen either. But baseball and other programs deserve the money more than golf. What has NDSU golf ever done?

mikelsch
01-22-2007, 08:31 PM
men's golf is non-scholarship at NDSU...Title IX

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Having played baseball at NDSU, I would love to see the school invest some money in the program (heck, they own 33% of Newman, they may as well back up that investment), but I think that eliminating golf is not the way to do it right now. That may change in the future, but right now I don't think that is the solution.

2006gwfcchamps
01-23-2007, 04:14 PM
They don't even give scholarships for men's golf?

Come on.

Why are we spending money for a coach, equipment, and travel for this team? They obviously don't have a chance to be competitive if they don't have the same scholarships as the teams they're going against.

Give the money (however little it may be) to baseball.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-24-2007, 03:43 AM
They don't even give scholarships for men's golf?

Come on.

Why are we spending money for a coach, equipment, and travel for this team? They obviously don't have a chance to be competitive if they don't have the same scholarships as the teams they're going against.

Give the money (however little it may be) to baseball.

I think golf has 1 scholarship ..It is probably split amongst the seniors. Baseball I would venture has 4-5 that are split amongst the roster.

You tell the golfers that their program is worthless

BisonCardinal
02-06-2007, 05:43 PM
I'd like to see men's soccer added. Is a Mid-Con sport, already have a women's team and it is arguably the most popular sport in the world. Besides, both my son's are very good at it. :P

RodentiaX1
02-06-2007, 08:40 PM
It makes sense to consider sports that are already sponsored by the Mid-Con. What kind of local talent (besides your sons, that is) for men's soccer in the area? The Mid-Con would make scheduling easy enough, but a base of local talent really helps.

2006gwfcchamps
02-06-2007, 10:59 PM
The twin cities has a lot of soccer teams. As far as how talented they are compared to the nation, I just can't say.

But we wouldn't have a problem finding enough guys.

RodentiaX1
02-07-2007, 03:47 AM
There is not a lot of D-I competition in the region. The Big 12 does not support men's soccer, and only seven out of 11 Big Ten teams support men's soccer. Minnesota and Iowa do not have men's soccer programs, so if NDSU adds men's soccer, there would be a pretty wide area to recruit.

BisonCardinal
02-07-2007, 03:30 PM
It looks like the Mid-Con(7 teams), Big Ten( 7 teams), Mid-American and Big West (Cal-Poly, etc) conferences sponsor men's soccer. Don't think it will be too hard to come up with a lot of games.

The Big Sky, Mountain West, WAC and Big 12 just sponsor women's soccer.

As far as local talent, I think every metro area (FM, Bismarck, GF, Minot, Jamestown,Twin Cities and subs) has a youth soccer league. Kids in those areas probably play soccer before they play baseball or football.

Other than traveling (11 players), soccer is a relatively cheap sport. A ball, PVC pipe and a couple fishnets. ;D Assuming the women have a good field to play on, it seems it would be an easy add for NDSU.

2006gwfcchamps
02-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Why are we even talking about this?

If we are ever going to add any sports it will be women's sports to offset an increase to 85 scholarships in football.

cabis
02-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Youth soccer in North Dakota is not very strong but is improving. I know NDSU has done a lot of work supporting coaching development and camps etc but it will take some time to work through the system. As an example since the transition to Division 1 there are no ND players on the NDSU women's soccer team. The level of competition locally is just not up to a high enough level to develop Division 1 talent. In our recruiting area soccer is very strong in Illinois, Minnesota, Canada, Iowa and to a lesser degree South Dakota. Soccer is a relatively cheap sport and with a 10 scholly limit it is easy to get players to commit without throwing a lot of money around. I think we could be very competitive quickly do to the lack of competition in our main recruiting areas. We could get the best of the best.
As pointed out, men's soccer is sponsored by our conference (MidCon), Big 10, and MAC. It is also sponsored by the MVC so it is a core sport of our current and all future conference options.
Having said all that it is not likely in the near term plans but I think we could be very succesfull on the field quickly.

pancake83
02-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Men's Volleyball, a pretty successfull club team, although especially with title IX, this will never happen, and without any local competition at the NCAA level - (IPFW and Loyola Chicago, plus a couple 'Sconie schools) this isn't viable, but there is a $6,000 grant that the NCAA will allow for any programs starting up a varsity Men's Volleyball sport......

2006gwfcchamps
02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Is there a single high school sports association in the upper midwest that sponsors men's volleyball?

Nope, nope, and nope.

That's an out west thing. Keep it there.

mikelsch
02-08-2007, 09:02 PM
It's too bad men's varsity volleyball isn't a bigger college sport, because it is very fun to watch. It would be great to have this at NDSU and our region.

2006gwfcchamps
02-08-2007, 09:13 PM
If the ND and MN high school associations had men's volleyball as a sport, then sure.

But high school kids in those states play football, soccer, or XC running. There's no room for more men's fall sports.

sambini
02-10-2007, 12:25 AM
It's too bad men's varsity volleyball isn't a bigger college sport, because it is very fun to watch. *It would be great to have this at NDSU and our region.
Very true Greenie . Wacker in the Hall nephew plays for Stanford. Saw him play againest Chase Budinger in the national tourney last summer in the Twin Cities. Those guys have some serious hop.

NDSUFREAK10
02-10-2007, 02:42 AM
OK, when did hockey take over the lead??

roadwarrior
02-10-2007, 01:59 PM
OK, when did hockey take over the lead??

I'm still waiting for bowling to be added as an option. I think that all of us that would support the Bison bowling team have been selecting the hockey button instead ;)

sambini
02-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Bowling is the answer.

lonelygriz
02-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Bowling is the answer.
If it was a new sport would we have to change our name to Bowling Green?

sambini
02-11-2007, 11:04 AM
+++++++++

ACES1180
02-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Women's tennis would be a good addition...Maybe then NDSU could build some better courts as opposed to the crap they have now.

pancake83
02-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Actually Wisconsin and Illinois have boys high school volleyball, local hs clubs for boys volleyball in MN, but nothing big, it's too bad.... :-/

mikelsch
02-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Actually Wisconsin and Illinois have boys high school volleyball, local hs clubs for boys volleyball in MN, but nothing big, it's too bad.... :-/

Blame it on Title IX :-X

pmp6nl
04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Rowing. www.rowndsu.com

Cant you imagine people hearing that ND has a rowing team...

roadwarrior
04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
I hope they hurry because the Red River wont have this much water in it for too long!

sambini
04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Its got enough today.

TheDoctor
04-03-2007, 04:28 AM
Rowing. *www.rowndsu.com

Cant you imagine people hearing that ND has a rowing team...

Iam not touching this one. ;)

sambini
04-04-2007, 03:38 AM
Row down the Red my oh my++