PDA

View Full Version : Privately funded NDSU Hockey Arena?

Bison101
02-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Hockey Hopes Revived at North Dakota State
Compiled by USCHO Staff
FARGO, N.D. — Plans for North Dakota State to start a men's and women's ice hockey program beginning in 2002-03 have been revived, according to an article in The (Fargo) Forum today.

According to the article, Fargo developer Jim Roers has stepped forward and announced plans to privately fund a new 3,500-seat on-campus arena. The arena, which would host the women's hockey team, local youth teams, and serve as the men's practice facility, would be adjacent to the current Bison Sports Arena. Estimations place the cost at $8 to $10 million.

The men's team would actually play its games at the nearby Fargodome, an 18,500-seat facility that houses the NDSU football team, concerts and other events

I ran onto this article on the USCHO site and was curious about what happened to this idea? I know that we have more important things on our agenda right now but Hockey is something I would really like for us to add in the future. A 7-8000 combo Hockey and Basketball arena next to the dome would be incredible. Hopefully one day it will become a reality. I know the idea has been shot down before. Anyways, that is a discussion for another time. I was curious if anyone knew what happened to the afore mentioned plan? Is this gentleman still willing to help bring Hockey to SU?

mikelsch
02-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Obviously adding hockey is more than just putting up some new building. Administratively it is an expensive sport, especially having to add a men's and women's team. It's enough of a challenge to have I-AA football and DI everything else. Maybe in 10+ years, but not anytime soon. In my opinion, NDSU would go I-A in football before adding hockey.

dakotadan
02-11-2006, 08:42 PM
It would be interesting to find out what ever happened with this idea. The University could have easily worked to get the facility built as a basketball/hockey facility but not started hockey immediately. After the facility was built basketball would use it immediately while fundraising to start a hockey program 5-10-15 years down the road went on.

But I do agree that with the full move to DI it will be a few years before hockey is seriously talked about again though.

MinotBison
02-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Ain't gonna happen.

DenverBison05
02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
It'll probably happen, but not for many years down road.

sambini
02-11-2006, 09:39 PM
You have to have approval from the STATE HIGHER BOARD OF EDUCATION.

BisonBacker
02-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Many years away. I'd rather see us get into a conference or move up to DIA in football and concetrate on a conference rather then worry about hockey.

Mr._Bill
02-11-2006, 10:25 PM
I say, Let the Sioux have their thing with hockey. Let's leave them in the dust in all other sports, including our classification level.

BisonBacker
02-11-2006, 10:27 PM
++++++++++

dakotadan
02-11-2006, 11:20 PM
I was more interested in the fact that at one point a developer was interested in privately funding an on-campus arena. What happened in the discussions? What happened to this man? Could discussions have lead to a dual-purpose arena on campus that would have included basketball?

I just though it would be interesting to know how far the discussions went and what was actually discussed.

sambini
02-12-2006, 12:27 AM
We won't have hockey for along time. We need to get into a league first with our other sports.

IH8daSioux
02-13-2006, 06:08 AM
Man... GETTING HOCKEY wouldn't be that hard..

just a financial backer for $3-5 million to renovate the coliseum thats' like 3 blocks from east of the BSA...and upgrade ice making at fargodome..

play the games at FARGODOME.. can u imagine how loud that place would be for NDSU vs UND... or *MINNESOTA VS NDSU..... WOW!!

Sooo it's not that hard.. its' just that AS USUAL!!! FARGO THINKS SMALL!!

its a SHAME!! *you get some JUNIORS and MOORHEAD pipeline.. and your SET for a solid team!!

MplsBison
02-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Curious, why does NDSU even want hockey in the first place?

I say, lets put those resources into football (I-A someday?) and basketball.

BisBison
02-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Curious, why does NDSU even want hockey in the first place?

I say, lets put those resources into football (I-A someday?) and basketball.

++++ and who says anyone from NDSU said anything about wanting hoocky? I think it's all just gossip at this point IMHO

insane_ponderer
02-13-2006, 07:39 PM
i heard from another one of those little birdies (and maybe if someone that is currently involved with student government can verify this) that we might not have club hockey around much longer as there might not be any student fees being allocated for them this year.

Bison101
02-13-2006, 08:05 PM
I enjoy the sport of college hockey and would hate to see the club team fold. I would love to have Hockey at NDSU but not at the expense of basketball. If they are really going to do the BSA up right and truly invest in basketball, then I would not be for Hockey as much as it pains me to say that. Having a consistent top 50 Rpi team at NDSU could pay huge dividends for the school as far as national recognition is concerned. All it would take is one win in the NCAA's and this program and town would erupt. Now if they half ass the BSA and are content to be a middle of the road Big SKy or mid con team by not ponying up to keep coaches around and constatnly trying to upgrade facilitys and such, then lets play some hockey!

IH8daSioux
02-14-2006, 02:31 AM
Oh i get GOOSE BUMPS!!!!

imagine hearing that on a COLD BORING FRIDAY NIGHT in January in FARGO ND, at the FARGODOME... with the HATED UND SIOUX already on the ice.... and the 17,500 fans RISE to their feet and scream... as the LIGHTS go down .. and the FOG rises out of the corner and the spot lights shine on the HERD as they enter the ice to

Black Sabbath's "I AM IRON MAN".... da da da da da ......

IMAGINE IT PEOPLE!!

MinotBison
02-14-2006, 02:51 AM
Oh i get GOOSE BUMPS!!!!

imagine hearing that on a COLD BORING FRIDAY NIGHT in January in FARGO ND, at the FARGODOME... with the HATED *UND SIOUX already on the ice.... and the 17,500 fans RISE to their feet and scream... *as the LIGHTS go down .. and the FOG rises out of the corner and the spot lights shine on the HERD as they enter the ice to *

Black Sabbath's * *"I AM IRON MAN".... da * da * da da da * ......

IMAGINE IT PEOPLE!!

Maybe we could have Wayne Gretzky come and drop the ceremonial opening puck. That is, if he isn't visiting his wife in jail at the time.

BisonBacker
02-14-2006, 04:07 AM
Oh i get GOOSE BUMPS!!!!

imagine hearing that on a COLD BORING FRIDAY NIGHT in January in FARGO ND, at the FARGODOME... with the HATED *UND SIOUX already on the ice.... and the 17,500 fans RISE to their feet and scream... *as the LIGHTS go down .. and the FOG rises out of the corner and the spot lights shine on the HERD as they enter the ice to *

Black Sabbath's * *"I AM IRON MAN".... da * da * da da da * ......

IMAGINE IT PEOPLE!!

Sounds kind of like an opening to some kind of "professional wrestling event" and I use the word professional loosely here. I guess if I wanted to watch some overated fighting/wrestling I could find it at home on the red neck channel. Until then hooky can be left to the junior college up north. I'd rather watch good entertainment in Division I atheletics.

westriverbison
02-14-2006, 05:21 AM
Sounds kind of like an opening to some kind of "professional wrestling event" and I use the word professional loosely here. *I guess if I wanted to watch some overated fighting/wrestling *I could find it at home on the red neck channel. *Until then hooky can be left to the junior college up north. *I'd rather watch good entertainment in Division I atheletics.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

IH8daSioux
02-14-2006, 06:11 AM
than basketball.... with the agility.. speed... toughness aka FOOTBALL.... and the fighting aspect...

I think there are PLENTY of NDSU alumni that would EMBRACE HOCKEY and the FOOTBALL Mentality it brings...

futhermore.. the study by FORUM showing all the hockey fans in the F-M Area. shows that to be true..

sooooo no need to belittle hockey.. because MOST or ALL small towns in No DAK can't affford the sport.

DIV 1 hockey would have a PACKED HOUSE every weekend.

tony
02-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I don't see the need to trash talk about hockey. It is very popular in Minnesota and that's where a good chunk of NDSU's student body comes from. If they want hockey, NDSU will get hockey.

BisonBacker
02-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I don't see the need to trash talk about hockey. It is very popular in Minnesota and that's where a good chunk of NDSU's student body comes from. If they want hockey, NDSU will get hockey.
It is very popular in many areas but those are small pockets of fans not broad based like football or basketball is. Face it not to many years ago the highlights on the sports for hockey many times was the fights between the players. I've seen it on ESPN, in all honesty I don't mind hockey at all but its not the mega sport that many undii fans make it out to be. Its there one claim to fame as a DII university where they can compete against real DI schools. As far as all the kids who attend NDSU I think many of them would tell you given the choice between sports which was their favorite between football, basketball or hockey that hockey would come in a distant third. Thats not trash talk but simply stating the obvious.

MplsBison
02-14-2006, 02:34 PM

I agree with you to the point that if the students and the city want Hockey, then it should at least be studied.

What I don't agree with is NDSU spending money on hockey instead of bball and football if they don't have to.

Hockey is expensive.

tony
02-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Hockey definitely has huge startup costs and will have to wait until we've got the DI transition completed. And, of course, it can only be added if it will not act as a drain on other programs.

However, I just don't agree with dismissing something out of hand when I think a majority of the students want it. I agree - hockey is not that popular of a sport in the US but there are at least 5 DI hockey programs in Minnesota and 158 HS hockey teams. That makes it a very popular sport in NDSU's prime recruiting area.

BisonBacker
02-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Hockey definitely has huge startup costs and will have to wait until we've got the DI transition completed. And, of course, it can only be added if it will not act as a drain on other programs.

However, I just don't agree with dismissing something out of hand when I think a majority of the students want it. I agree - hockey is not that popular of a sport in the US but there are at least 5 DI hockey programs in Minnesota and 158 HS hockey teams. That makes it a very popular sport in NDSU's prime recruiting area.

That will never happen, it will always be a drain on other programs given the title IX compliance issues. How many people go to a womens hockey game? If you don't add womens hockey you would have to add the equivalent $$$ in womens sports or cut back the equivalent in other mens sports to make up the difference. I don't see that as not being a drain. Anyone who says otherwise is just fooling themselves. If that were not the case all DI schools would have it as well as many smaller schools. That comment was not well thought out Tony. ;)

MplsBison
02-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Maybe we could have non scholarship hockey?

Mr_Meanor
02-14-2006, 06:08 PM
*As far as all the kids who attend NDSU I think many of them would tell you given the choice between sports which was their favorite between football, basketball or hockey that hockey would come in a distant third. *Thats not trash talk but simply stating the obvious.
I don't know about that...I grew up in MN and I think me and all by buddies would say that college hockey is are favorite sport to attend and watch on tv. In minnesota you grow up watching high school and college hockey. Its something most minnesotians live and die for. I would love to see NDSU get a D I hockey team but I would only be for it if it didn't hurt the other sports which I don't see being possible.

Mr_Meanor
02-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Maybe we could have non scholarship hockey?
I would hate that idea...you need to win to get fans into the arena and no team could ever be competive in college hockey with no scholarships

NDSUstudent
02-14-2006, 06:12 PM
My veiw on this it that hockey will only hurt basketball. NDSU doesn't need two sports going head to head with each other(especially ones that take up big portions of the budget). The costs to add hockey will only be a drain to the athletic budget. Just look at UND, womens hockey has taken away money from both basketball programs and if that happend at NDSU I would be quite angry. DI hoops is NDSU's niche sport, there are tons of basketball fans in this area and really only a few regional DI teams to chear for. I think the potential is there to build up a basketball program that rivals UND hockey in terms of popularity in the region. Basketball is where NDSU needs to stick their money and try to develop a solid mid-major program.

IH8daSioux
02-14-2006, 06:46 PM
my theory. that there would be Plenty of support for BOTH hockey and Basketball at NDSU..

You would have those Minnesotans (born and bred) that LOVE hockey.. Moorhead... South, North Parents... that would support Division 1 hockey.

and the Basketball faction would still support Bball over hockey...

So I really think at NDSU .. you would see a great BALANCE... .... honestly..

BisonBacker
02-14-2006, 06:52 PM
I don't know about that...I grew up in MN and I think me and all by buddies would say that college hockey is are favorite sport to attend and watch on tv. *In minnesota you grow up watching high school and college hockey. *Its something most minnesotians live and die for. *I would love to see NDSU get a D I hockey team but I would only be for it if it didn't hurt the other sports which I don't see being possible. *
I did grow up in Minnesota. Yes hockey is popular but its not as popular as you think when comparing it to Basketball or Football and that is a Fact. Look at the Professional Ranks. Hell the players are locked out for a year and there is no hockey and you hardly heard any uproar from most Minnesotans. Had that happened in any other sport it would have been huge. Sorry folks I like hockey but its a niche sport, Why don't you think more DI schools don't carry it. The answer is it just isn't that big of a deal.

MplsBison
02-14-2006, 09:20 PM
My veiw on this it that hockey will only hurt basketball. NDSU doesn't need two sports going head to head with each other(especially ones that take up big portions of the budget). The costs to add hockey will only be a drain to the athletic budget. Just look at UND, womens hockey has taken away money from both basketball programs and if that happend at NDSU I would be quite angry. DI hoops is NDSU's niche sport, there are tons of basketball fans in this area and really only a few regional DI teams to chear for. I think the potential is there to build up a basketball program that rivals UND hockey in terms of popularity in the region. Basketball is where NDSU needs to stick their money and try to develop a solid mid-major program.

I fully agree with this.

UND almost has a monopoly on hockey in the area (obviously the Gophers and to a lesser extent the Wild).

Why would we want to spend so much money on sport that already has a fairly die hard following? Heck, even some NDSU fans are fans of UND hockey.

DI basketball is uncharted territory for the area. NDSU could be the first stake in the ground and that could mean big bucks down the road.

sambini
02-15-2006, 12:14 AM
MPLS BISON I totally agree.+++++

TheBisonator
02-15-2006, 05:46 AM
I agree MplsBison. But I personally think that if you wanted to bring in the on-campus hockey-crazed crowd (there are quite a few of them) who would like to have an NDSU team to cheer for, I think it would eventually be a good idea to experiment with a DIII hockey program, if the City of Fargo ever builds a new hockey arena with 4,000-5,000 seats. I'm not saying that this has to happen anytime soon. But I think it could happen in the near-future without it being any detriment to basketball whatsoever. A DIII team could operate with low costs and play in a city-owned arena, and reap the profits from the ticket gate, concessions and parking, if necessary. It could be basically an experiment to see how a school-sponsored hockey program could do in the Fargo-Moorhead area.

MplsBison
02-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Is it possible for a DI school to have a DIII sport?

Does anyone know what the attendance is like for the FM Jets or the NDSU club hockey team?

I know it's not the same, just curious.

Mr_Meanor
02-15-2006, 04:53 PM
I did grow up in Minnesota. *Yes hockey is popular but its not as popular as you think when comparing it to Basketball or Football and that is a Fact. *Look at the Professional Ranks. *Hell the players are locked out for a year and there is no hockey and you hardly heard any uproar from most Minnesotans. *Had that happened in any other sport it would have been huge. *Sorry folks I like hockey but its a niche sport, Why don't you think more DI schools don't carry it. *The answer is it just isn't that big of a deal.
I disagree...you didn't hear a uproar because Minnesota has big time college programs where you could still catch the sports during the lockout. *Minnesota, Duluth, St. Cloud, Mankato all have nice hockey programs. *The Wild are the hardest ticket in town to get. *The high school state tournment is the second largest high school tournment in the country behind texas football. *I think the NFL will always be the biggest draw for any city that has a team but hockey is probably just behind it here in MN. *I would love to see NDSU get a hockey team but I don't see that happening for a long long time and I would only want to see it if it meant we didn't have to scarifice are other sports which I think would be very hard to do with the size of the school and city.

IowaBison
02-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I think the NFL will always be the biggest draw for any city that has a team but hockey is probably just behind it.

Sure.

That's if the city doesn't have the NBA, MLB, NASCAR, or College Hoops, but yeah hockey is up there.

* :P

The NHL isn't a pimple on the ass of sports.

Mr_Meanor
02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
I agree MplsBison. But I personally think that if you wanted to bring in the on-campus hockey-crazed crowd (there are quite a few of them) who would like to have an NDSU team to cheer for, I think it would eventually be a good idea to experiment with a DIII hockey program, if the City of Fargo ever builds a new hockey arena with 4,000-5,000 seats. I'm not saying that this has to happen anytime soon. But I think it could happen in the near-future without it being any detriment to basketball whatsoever. A DIII team could operate with low costs and play in a city-owned arena, and reap the profits from the ticket gate, concessions and parking, if necessary. It could be basically an experiment to see how a school-sponsored hockey program could do in the Fargo-Moorhead area.
First...I am not positive on this but I don't think you could be D I is all sports and then DIII in hockey. I do not believe NCAA allows that. If that was the case UND would move up in football. Also I don't think a division 3 team would draw fans in fargo. I am a huge hockey fan and I know I would not attend. I want to see some quality hockey if I am going to spend some money and D III hockey is basically like MN high school hockey and I can watch that anytime I want right now. I don't see NDSU getting a team anytime soon but if they did I would think it would have to be at the D I level

Mr_Meanor
02-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Sure.

That's if the city doesn't have the NBA, MLB, NASCAR, or College Hoops, but yeah hockey is up there.

* :P

The NHL isn't a pimple on the ass of sports.

Hockey is not a popular sport thoughout the whole country but here in the midwest and the east coast hockey is really big. I think NFL will alway be the top dog but here in MN I think hockey ranks second.

IowaBison
02-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for paring down your East Coast/Midwest comment to Minnesota.

Objectively measure "really big".

IowaBison
02-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Twins
2005 Revenue: 102 million
2005 Value: 178 million

Vikings
2005 Revenue: 164 million
2005 Value: 658 million

Timberwolves
2005 Revenue: 101 million
2005 Value: 303 million

Wild*
2004 Revenue: 71 million
2004 Value: 163 million

* Pre-strike-they lost their cut of a lucrative tv contract, cut 20% off their revenue and about the same off their value (if not more)

yep, pretty close to me.

IowaBison
02-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Minnesota High School Athletics

Sport/Schools/Participants

Baseball/427/13,892

Basketball(boys)/460/14,472

X-Country/325/5,171

Football/434/28,510

Golf/391/5,023

Hockey(boys)/268/6,557

Soccer(boys)/198/8,240

Tennis(boys)/193/4,552

Track & Field(boys)/432/13,832

Wrestling/351/8,667

Mr_Meanor
02-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Minnesota High School Athletics

Sport/Schools/Participants

Baseball/427/13,892

Basketball(boys)/460/14,472

X-Country/325/5,171

Football/434/28,510

Golf/391/5,023

Hockey(boys)/268/6,557

Soccer(boys)/198/8,240

Tennis(boys)/193/4,552

Track & Field(boys)/432/13,832

Wrestling/351/8,667

What does this have to do with how popular a sport is? You can be a fan of a sport without being in it *

Mr_Meanor
02-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Minnesota high school football attendence 102,428 with 42 games being played so the ave attendence was 2438 per game. While the hockey state tournment had an attendence of 120,114 with 22 games being played so the ave. attendence was 5,459

IowaBison
02-15-2006, 07:02 PM
What does this have to do with how popular a sport is? You can be a fan of a sport without being in it *

The Minnesota State High School League defines popularity by participation! :P

MplsBison
02-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Minnesota high school football attendence 102,428 with 42 games being played so the ave attendence was 2438 per game. *While the hockey state tournment had an attendence of 120,114 with 22 games being played so the ave. attendence was 5,459

How about the games at the dome?

MplsBison
02-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Twins
2005 Revenue: 102 million
2005 Value: 178 million

Unless the Twins get a new stadium soon, they're adios.

BisonBacker
02-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Hockey is not a popular sport thoughout the whole country but here in the midwest and the east coast hockey is really big. *I think NFL will alway be the top dog but here in MN I think hockey ranks second. *
No way hockey ranks second in Mn.

BisonBacker
02-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Unless the Twins get a new stadium soon, they're adios.

I kind of think the lawmakers this time around are going to have there collective feet held to the fire. The population of Mn does not want to lose the Twins. Just my opinion.

MplsBison
02-16-2006, 12:12 AM
I kind of think the lawmakers this time around are going to have there collective feet held to the fire. *The population of Mn does not want to lose the Twins. *Just my opinion.

I'd be fine with three new stadiums.

But in my opinion, the Gophers should be first and then the Vikings next.

Mr_Meanor
02-16-2006, 02:14 AM
I'd be fine with three new stadiums.

But in my opinion, the Gophers should be first and then the Vikings next.
Theres no way the vikings should get a stadium before the twins. I don't think there is really anything wrong with the dome for football. But the way it is looking it looks like the vikes just might get a stadium before the twins since Zygi is ready to pony up some money

Rodentia
02-16-2006, 02:35 AM
There are six divisions in Minnesota high school football, the lower divisions do skew the attendance numbers down. I'm from a town that plays 9-Man football, if everyone from the two towns shows up for the game, that's still not a huge crowd.

Hockey is big in Minnesota, but it's nowhere near #1.

kchats
02-16-2006, 04:14 AM
Theres no way the vikings should get a stadium before the twins. *I don't think there is really anything wrong with the dome for football. *But the way it is looking it looks like the vikes just might get a stadium before the twins since Zygi is ready to pony up some money

Until baseball starts sharing revenue it is a complete waste of time giving any money to baseball teams in small markets like Minnesota and Kansas City. All the small market teams are is farm clubs for the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, Mets and Braves. If you win a division with no large market teams you get to be clobber by the big money teams in the first round of the playoffs. Minnesota and Kansas City and other teams like them have no shot at winning the World Series until baseball does what the NFL does.

If the salary cap goes away in the NFL it will be no better than Major League baseball and it will begin losing fans as well. It would definitely increase interest in college football though.

jjbluecw
02-16-2006, 04:40 AM
Until baseball starts sharing revenue it is a complete waste of time giving any money to baseball teams in small markets like Minnesota and Kansas City.

MLB already implements revenue sharing....

kchats
02-16-2006, 04:47 AM
That isn't actual revenue sharing. You think that salary tax actually levels the playing field for the Twins and Royals. Their team salary totals aren't even a third of what the Yankees salary total is. In the NFL all teams have a total allowed salary for their team. Baseball doesn't have this. Twins and Royals have no chance to win anything because they are farm teams for the Yankees.

TheBisonator
02-16-2006, 05:16 AM
Until baseball starts sharing revenue it is a complete waste of time giving any money to baseball teams in small markets like Minnesota and Kansas City. *All the small market teams are is farm clubs for the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, Mets and Braves. *If you win a division with no large market teams you get to be clobber by the big money teams in the first round of the playoffs. *Minnesota and Kansas City and other teams like them have no shot at winning the World Series until baseball does what the NFL does. *

If the salary cap goes away in the NFL it will be no better than Major League baseball and it will begin losing fans as well. *It would definitely increase interest in college football though.

If I ever find the man who started the talking point that the Twin Cities is a "small" market for MLB, I'm personaly going to kick his ASS. The Twin Cities metro is the 12th largest market in the nation, and the 14th largest metro area. There are over 3.1 MILLION people living in the TC metro, and 3.5 MILLION living in its market. That my friends, is NOT a "small" market. The Twin Cities metro and market is bigger than Denver (2.6 million), bigger than San Diego (2.9 million), and bigger than Cleveland (2.8 million). All cities with recently-built ballparks, I might add. Would you call Colorado a smll market team?? I sure as hell wouldn't. The TC metro is almost TWICE as big as the Kansas City metro (1.8 million), just for comparison's sake. I don't even like the Twins, or baseball, but yet I'm SOOOO fucking SICK of people spouting around this talking point that the TC is a "small market". That dog won't hunt, people. The TC metro is a medium-sized market on par with the likes of Denver, Seattle, Atlanta, Cleveland and Phoenix. Sorry for the rant, but I'm just getting soooo sick of that lie.

jjbluecw
02-16-2006, 05:25 AM
That isn't actual revenue sharing. You think that salary tax actually levels the playing field for the Twins and Royals. Their team salary totals aren't even a third of what the Yankees salary total is. In the NFL all teams have a total allowed salary for their team. Baseball doesn't have this. Twins and Royals have no chance to win anything because they are farm teams for the Yankees.

I didn't say it was a good system (especially as a Twins fan)but it is revenue sharing. The yankees pumped about 110 million in revenue sharing and luxury taxes and reportedly lost about 50 million in 05. Pollad (who has a lot more money than Steinbrenner)simply refuses to put the money shared back into the team which is probably smart from a business standpoint. Don't confuse revenue sharing with a salary cap.

kchats
02-16-2006, 05:33 AM
If I ever find the man who started the talking point that the Twin Cities is a "small" market for MLB, I'm personaly going to kick his ASS. The Twin Cities metro is the 12th largest market in the nation, and the 14th largest metro area. There are over 3.1 MILLION people living in the TC metro, and 3.5 MILLION living in its market. That my friends, is NOT a "small" market. The Twin Cities metro and market is bigger than Denver (2.6 million), bigger than San Diego (2.9 million), and bigger than Cleveland (2.8 million). All cities with recently-built ballparks, I might add. Would you call Colorado a smll market team?? I sure as hell wouldn't. The TC metro is almost TWICE as big as the Kansas City metro (1.8 million), just for comparison's sake. I don't even like the Twins, or baseball, but yet I'm SOOOO fucking SICK of people spouting around this talking point that the TC is a "small market". That dog won't hunt, people. The TC metro is a medium-sized market on par with the likes of Denver, Seattle, Atlanta, Cleveland and Phoenix. Sorry for the rant, but I'm just getting soooo sick of that lie.

What is the TV Market for the Twin Cities? That is what they refer to when they mention small market. The Yankees have a TV deal that is worth more than most teams are worth.

IH8daSioux
02-16-2006, 05:36 AM
Football... then HOCKEY..

its the STATE OF HOCKEY MY GOD!!

Biggest HS TOURNEY in NATION. .next to texas football..

back when it was 1 division. it was AMAZING!>. but all the parents from smaller towns.. whined and b.tched... give our kids a chance for a shot at state..... watered down crap like minn football playoffs...

ANYWAYS>. NDSU hockey would average 4000-5000 fans EASILY.... seems it would be double basketball average.. huh.......

Fargodome 15,000 for hockey??

NDSU vs UND full house
NDSU vs GOPHS FULL HOUSE
NDSU vs SCSU FULL HOUSE
NDSU vs KATO full house
NDSU vs DULUTH full
NDSU vs WISC!!! OVERfull house

NDSU vs Denver/Colorado 8000

all others 4000

Bemidji, Omaha, etc etc..

renew old NCC rivalry's!!

Nd

TheBisonator
02-16-2006, 05:46 AM
What is the TV Market for the Twin Cities? *That is what they refer to when they mention small market. *The Yankees have a TV deal that is worth more than most teams are worth.

TV market has nothing to do with money. It's about number of televisions that exist in the market area. And according to the latest stats from the FCC, the TC is 12th in the nation in that regard. The Twins have a crappy TV deal because they have a crappy TV deal. That's the Twins' fault. Not the fault of anything to do with the market.

roadwarrior
02-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Can I step in and start talking about the price of gas? Then we can have yet another topic in this thread that has nothing to do with hockey ???

IowaBison
02-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Can I step in and start talking about the price of gas? *Then we can have yet another topic in this thread that has nothing to do with hockey ???

I read on anygivensaturday.com yesterday that the price in Minnesota is now under $2.

:)

MplsBison
02-16-2006, 05:59 PM
The MLB does do revenue sharing, but that doesn't help them win.

All that happens with revenue sharing is that Pohlads pockets get even bigger and he still spends almost nothing to field a decent team.

What the MLB should do is enforce a hard salery cap.

The day that happens is the day hell freezes over.

IowaBison
02-16-2006, 07:37 PM
I like grits.

Bisonguy
02-16-2006, 08:39 PM
I like grits.

Mmmmm MMMmmmmmm......

with butter.......

BisonCountry
02-16-2006, 09:09 PM
I like grits.

I love lamp.

jjbluecw
02-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Can I step in and start talking about the price of gas? Then we can have yet another topic in this thread that has nothing to do with hockey ???

If you don't like the content.....don't waste your time reading it. MLB is about as relevant to NDSU as college hockey :)

jjbluecw
02-16-2006, 10:12 PM
The MLB does do revenue sharing, but that doesn't help them win.

All that happens with revenue sharing is that Pohlads pockets get even bigger and he still spends almost nothing to field a decent team.

What the MLB should do is enforce a hard salery cap.

The day that happens is the day hell freezes over.

True that...The MLB players union is too strong. They are basically killing their own sport IMO.

IowaBison
02-17-2006, 02:13 PM
If you don't like the content.....don't waste your time reading it. *MLB is about as relevant to NDSU as college hockey :)

You're completely missing the point, jjbluecw.

This is a thread on a possible privately funded hockey arena, if you have something to add to the conversation post it here. Otherwise start a new thread.

And ndsu having a hockey team is considerably more relevent to the purpose of this board than major league baseball.

jjbluecw
02-17-2006, 03:06 PM
And ndsu having a hockey team is considerably more relevent to the purpose of this board than major league baseball.

I was obviously saying that in jest. What I was getting at is that, correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see DI hockey even being on the radar of NDSU's admin.

BisonBacker
02-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Its not on the radar, just in the minds of some hockey fans.

Tuk
02-18-2006, 05:16 AM
In minnesota you grow up watching high school and college hockey. Its something most minnesotians live and die for.

..as do most of those treacherous Canandians. Which furthers my theory that Minnesotans are ACTUALLY the first elements of an all out Canadian invasion of the U.S. ;D

PROTECT THE BORDERS!

http://www.rightwingnews.com/graphics/mountie.jpg

Here is something from their "schools" that many may find interesting:

http://www.rightwingnews.com/humor/canada.gif

Here are my votes:

NO----D I hockey (until 2025)
YES---Club hockey support!
YES---New stadium/arena for BBall and hockey
NO----Canadian whiskey

sambini
02-18-2006, 05:31 AM
Hockey is not on the table. We have other issues in our athletic programs to address. Let theSUE have it .

MplsBison
02-18-2006, 04:31 PM
There is one thing I absolutely will never support.

An arena that can hold both basketball and hockey.

It always ends up being good for hockey games and crappy for basketball games.

If NDSU builds a new arena, it should be permanant seating for basketball dimensions.

Rodentia
02-18-2006, 06:37 PM
If some rich benefactor wanted to build a hockey arena, and if that benefactor wanted to also pony up the cash and earmark it to hockey, then maybe it will happen.

Until the, there are other things that are higher priority. It's like getting dressed, you put on the important things first, then you decide whether to wear a hat.

BisonBryce
02-20-2006, 11:36 PM
That will never happen, it will always be a drain on other programs given the title IX compliance issues. How many people go to a womens hockey game? If you don't add womens hockey you would have to add the equivalent $$$ in womens sports or cut back the equivalent in other mens sports to make up the difference. I don't see that as not being a drain. Anyone who says otherwise is just fooling themselves. If that were not the case all DI schools would have it as well as many smaller schools. That comment was not well thought out Tony. ;)

Actually I think Tony's comments are perfect for this thread and very well thought out. I still think more needs to be done to study this issue. He is right, the majority of the students come from MN and so do I, and I also love and play the sport. I would love it here. Hockey is regional and it would make no sense for a southern school to adopt it, but for here it makes perfect sense.

I do understand the financial implications. However, the D1 programs in this region for hockey are making money. Perhaps that can translate to NDSU(of course maybe not). Perhaps that can translate to even more dollars, publicity and recruitment for the school.

What I don't understand are the posts on here so immediate to bash the topic. I do agree that the odds are not good with the direction of our school.

We don't have a good facility. For some reason NDSU wants to waste money in the BSA. Why not renovate the Coliseum in a joint partnership with Fargo North HS or build a new place where both hockey and BB can flourish, instead of throwing it down the drain?

At least give hockey a chance in the future instead of a fargo dome debacle and throwing money in the BSA toilet.

Or..maybe I can win the powerball and just donate one.

sambini
02-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Someone in Lincoln,NEBRASKA WILL GETTING A SUITE AT MEMORIAL STADIUM NOW.

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-20-2006, 11:44 PM
I think that NDSU should focus on the sports they have and not spend money launching a new sport, but if private citizens can raise the money for an arena I have no problem with it. My one suggestion would be that if they build the arena, it should be built in a way that would allow it to be expanded easily in the event that NDSU does ever add hockey as a D-I sport. I'm not sure how that would work, but just throwing it out there.

BisonBryce
02-20-2006, 11:54 PM
I think that NDSU should focus on the sports they have and not spend money launching a new sport, but if private citizens can raise the money for an arena I have no problem with it. My one suggestion would be that if they build the arena, it should be built in a way that would allow it to be expanded easily in the event that NDSU does ever add hockey as a D-I sport. I'm not sure how that would work, but just throwing it out there.

++
I'm content with this too.

kchats
02-21-2006, 04:51 AM
I personnally believe that NDSU has enough on their plate getting the other sports to the level the alumni and fans expect. It would upset me a bit if they all of a sudden changed course and tried to add hockey when we don't have a conference for the other sports and the BSA isn't renovated to assist in recruiting. There are much more important issues at NDSU than adding hockey.

WYOBISONMAN
02-21-2006, 06:33 PM
NDSU should never totaly ignore hockey as it will always be big in ND/MN. However, there are many bridges to cross before the issue of hockey comes up for discussion. Let's shore up our existing DI programs first.

BisonGolfer
04-11-2006, 08:29 PM
I just wanted to say something to GREENIE you would rather go D1 A before we would get a D1 hockey team you are nuts. If we had a hockey team this school would make so much more money. Alot more students would rather go to a hockey game than a basketball game. Plus if you look at SU ever playing UND or U of M in hockey they would sell out so fast it wouldnt even be funny. I think that we should get a hockey team because it will get the NDSU UND rivalry back in action. I know that right away we probably would get a asses handed to us but that is what it takes to get a program going. There are only 52 D1 hockey teams in the nation that is nothing compaired to football basketball or baseball. There are talented hockey players out there that only go and play D3 or club hockey. Im not sayen our mens CLUB team could play D1 they are far from it. But if we acutally got a good coach and a good sized hockey rink we could compete in the CHA which is like Bamiji and other smaller school.

mikelsch
04-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Hockey would be nice to have at NDSU, but I would rather have IA football. Because having IA football would mean that we are in the WAC or MWC - which would elevate all of our sports and the status of our University. Hockey doesn't elevate your national status anywhere near football or basketball.

Hockey is a budget drainer because you'd have to add a men's and women's program to balance title IX. UND has this market on DI hockey; NDSU will gladly take DI everything else.

Men's hockey has 58 teams and their championship game draws less national attention than NDSU's win over Wisconsin in basketball.

All of this is moot, because NDSU won't be adding hockey or IA football anytime soon.

Paulie
04-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Hockey would be nice to have at NDSU, but I would rather have IA football. *Because having IA football would mean that we are in the WAC or MWC - which would elevate all of our sports and the status of our University. *

Or Sun Belt, but what does that add really? That's not an impressive list of schools.

sambini
04-12-2006, 07:29 PM
WAC ATTACK RIGHT BUFFALO BILL++++++++++++++++++++++

USA_Hockey
04-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Once again, I still feel that I-A is not practical for NDSU. NDSU needs to build their program so they are a I-AA powerhouse and win a few national championships. This would expand the interest of D1 football in North Dakota and bring in more fans. After that, considering a move to IA would not be a bad idea.

mikelsch
04-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Agreed. Unless our only conference option turns out to be the WAC or MWC.

lakesbison
04-24-2006, 02:27 PM
D 1 hockey would bring a TON of money into NDSU..

Fargodome is capable to hosting games, and they could practice 3-4 blocks east of campus at the John Carlson Coliseum...

the Fargodome is floundering..and 8 weekends of Fri/Sat hockey would easily put 7500-10,000 people on average into the stands

SOLD OUT 19,500 fan games:

Minnesota
Wisconsin
UND
St Cloud State

Mankato St and Bemidji games would be close, Im assuming CCHA so Ferris State, Omaha Etc would be less attended games...

USA_Hockey
04-24-2006, 10:33 PM
You're absolutely right. I know right now NDSU is busy trying to find a conference, but within the next few years might be the perfect time to get a DI hockey program. There is some talk right now about a Big Ten hockey conference, if that happens UND would be an affiliate member to make it 6 teams, this would leave open the WCHA for NDSU. If the Big Ten hockey conference doesn't pull through, NDSU could still join the CHA, which next year will only be at 5 teams because Air Force Academy is leaving for Atlantic Hockey. The FargoDome might be a little big for the sport, the best would be the building of a multi-purpose Hockey/Basketball facility. If that doesn't happen the FargoDome would do.

NanoBison
04-24-2006, 11:38 PM
USA_Hockey, that is SOOO many years down the road. We need to get established in DI Football and Basketball and finish any rennovations to the Fargodome and BSA before we can even consider that. Football pays the bills right now. If we started up Hockey, we'd compete locally and regionally for recruits. That would be a complete drain on the budget to support Hockey at NDSU right now. Now if we do have a rich benefactor interested in funding the whole thing, by all means... but most of our benefactors like football and basketball. Many years down the road. Many many many years.

Then again, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on the subject !!!

USA_Hockey
04-24-2006, 11:52 PM
USA_Hockey, that is SOOO many years down the road. We need to get established in DI Football and Basketball and finish any rennovations to the Fargodome and BSA before we can even consider that. Football pays the bills right now. If we started up Hockey, we'd compete locally and regionally for recruits. That would be a complete drain on the budget to support Hockey at NDSU right now. Now if we do have a rich benefactor interested in funding the whole thing, by all means... but most of our benefactors like football and basketball. Many years down the road. Many many many years.

Then again, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on the subject !!!

The main point is that this is the perfect time to get into a conference if NDSU wanted to get a hockey team. Also, hockey would be paying the bills next to football. Lets say NDSU gets 6,000 fans for a hockey game(which is half of what UND gets and about the same amount as St.Cloud), times that by 20 home games and you 120,000 fans in total attendance. That is more than football, because if you get 18,000 fans for a football game (which right now I believe the average is less) and times that by six you get 108,000 fans in total attendance. Not to add on to the fact that with hockey you get on FSN North by playing the Gophers and Badgers. You would also get on FSN Rocky Mountain by playing Denver. Then when you play UND you would get on FSSN which is statewide TV. None of this is counting the playoffs. Yes, I know hockey is not popular nationally, but it is still the most popular sport in this area and I feel it would profit NDSU to have a team.

NDSUstudent
04-25-2006, 12:14 AM
My main concern is that hockey would take away from what we are doing on the basketball court right now. Basketball is a major sport and NDSU has a bright future and that is were our money should be going right now, UND can have hockey. If a backer were willing to throw 20-30 million into starting a program I would probably go along with it but right now we have enough things to worry about besides trying to figure out how to fund/start a hockey team. I think our main goal should be to become a consistant mid-major basketball team and I'm sure hockey would get in the way of that since no team in the mid-major top 25 even has hockey. The two sports compete against each other for sponsers, fans, and the athletic budget and I don't think we are in a market big enough to support both programs. Hockey is just too expensive and if we had to cut into either the basketball(mens or womens) or football budget to fund it I would be quite angry to say the least.

DIBISON
04-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Attendance and TV exposure of Bison football and basketball will continue to grow each year in Division I. These two sports have a broad based level of fan support and the popularity will continue to expand. The October 21st Bison football game in the Metrodome against the Big 10 Gophers on FSN will provide much more exposure to more people than a hockey game ever could!

USA_Hockey
04-25-2006, 01:00 AM
Yes, that game on the 21st will give you good publicity. But think about it, is it really a disadvantage to have Eight+ more games on FSN North in a year. I doubt the Bison have ever been on FSN eight times in the history of the program. Yes, Bison football can expand, but think about it, your place only seats 18,000 people, with a 6,000 fan average for hockey your already drawing more people in than football has potential for. Yes, hockey would take some startup costs, but the costs coming back in would be greater than football and basketball at NDSU.

USA_Hockey
04-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Attendance and TV exposure of Bison football and basketball will continue to grow each year in Division I. *These two sports have a broad based level of fan support and the popularity will continue to expand. *The October 21st Bison football game in the Metrodome against the Big 10 Gophers on FSN will provide much more exposure to more people than a hockey game ever could! * *

So UND playing on ESPN for the national title doesn't get more publicity than one football game on FSN North? FSN North is regional TV, ESPN is national television. I'll admit, college hockey isn't big nationwide, but being on ESPN is still much more publicity than playing one game on FSN North, not to add on to the fact that your not guranteed that game every year from here on out anyway, with hockey UND is guranteed those eight+ games in a year on FSN plus if they make it to the national title they get on ESPN.

DenverBison05
04-25-2006, 01:13 AM
Attendance and TV exposure of Bison football and basketball will continue to grow each year in Division I. *These two sports have a broad based level of fan support and the popularity will continue to expand. *The October 21st Bison football game in the Metrodome against the Big 10 Gophers on FSN will provide much more exposure to more people than a hockey game ever could! * *

So UND playing on ESPN for the national title doesn't get more publicity than one football game on FSN North? *FSN North is regional TV, ESPN is national television. *I'll admit, college hockey isn't big nationwide, but being on ESPN is still much more publicity than playing one game on FSN North, not to add on to the fact that your not guranteed that game every year from here on out anyway, with hockey UND is guranteed those eight+ games in a year on FSN plus if they make it to the national title they get on ESPN. *

Playing in the DI-AA playoffs gives us the opportunity to play four games on ESPN2. *If it come between having a great football team and having a great hockey team plus a mediocre football team, I'll chose a great football team every time. *

USA_Hockey
04-25-2006, 01:15 AM
A great hockey team doesn't give you a medicore DI-AA football team. Take the New Hampshire Wildcats or Maine Black Bears, they have powerhouse hockey and DI-AA football teams.

DenverBison05
04-25-2006, 01:24 AM
A great hockey team doesn't give you a medicore DI-AA football team. *Take the New Hampshire Wildcats or Maine Black Bears, they have powerhouse hockey and DI-AA football teams.

Then where do you suggest the money is going to come from. Adding hockey right now will pull money away from other programs. Plus we'll have to fund either a women's hockey program or other women's sports for Title IX. This further robs money from other programs. Maine and UNH are established hockey programs, we will be starting from scratch. There's a big difference. Plus were just starting to establish all of our other programs at the DI level.

USA_Hockey
04-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Well I don't know how the nickels and dimes flow at NDSU, I just brought up the topic because it would be the perfect time for them to get into a conference for hockey. If it can draw revenue, there really isn't a disadvantage to having it.

Bisonguy
04-25-2006, 01:41 AM
A great hockey team doesn't give you a medicore DI-AA football team. *Take the New Hampshire Wildcats or Maine Black Bears, they have powerhouse hockey and DI-AA football teams.

Maine's football records for the last 16 years-
3-8
3-8
6-5
3-8
3-8
3-8
7-4
5-6
6-5
4-7
5-6
9-3
11-3
6-5
5-6
5-6

A .450 winning % isn't mediocre??

New Hampshire's record is much better, but they still don't have a winning % over .600 over the last decade or so, and have only made it past the first round of the playoffs in 2004 and 2005.

USA_Hockey
04-25-2006, 02:07 AM

3-8
3-8
6-5
3-8
3-8
3-8
7-4
5-6
6-5
4-7
5-6
9-3
11-3
6-5
5-6
5-6

Well sorry for my bad example, but New Hampshire isn't mediocore. Take UMass for example, they have hockey and have a solid I-AA program. They also have had some great basketball teams at that school. They're enrollment is 18,000 so it is a little bigger, but it still shows that a I-AA team can compete in hockey and football. Northeastern University is another good example. Then we throw in some of the Ivy League schools at their is a pretty good mix of I-AA football teams, mid/major basketball teams, and DI hockey. For the I-A goers out there, if we look at some of the mid-major football/basketball programs that have hockey: Miami (Ohio), Western Michigan and Bowling Green(although their enrollment is pretty big), and Air Force Academy.

Bisonguy
04-25-2006, 02:16 AM

3-8
3-8
6-5
3-8
3-8
3-8
7-4
5-6
6-5
4-7
5-6
9-3
11-3
6-5
5-6
5-6

Well sorry for my bad example, but New Hampshire isn't mediocore. *Take UMass for example, they have hockey and have a solid I-AA program. *They also have had some great basketball teams at that school. *They're enrollment is 18,000 so it is a little bigger, but it still shows that a I-AA team can compete in hockey and football. *Northeastern University is another good example. *Then we throw in some of the Ivy League schools at their is a pretty good mix of I-AA football teams, mid/major basketball teams, and DI hockey. For the I-A goers out there, if we look at some of the mid-major football/basketball programs that have hockey: Miami (Ohio), Western Michigan and Bowling Green(although their enrollment is pretty big), and Air Force Academy. *

UMass is a much better example (they actually have a I-AA championship), but I still think that New Hampshire is not a powerhouse.

USA_Hockey
04-25-2006, 02:23 AM

3-8
3-8
6-5
3-8
3-8
3-8
7-4
5-6
6-5
4-7
5-6
9-3
11-3
6-5
5-6
5-6

Well sorry for my bad example, but New Hampshire isn't mediocore. *Take UMass for example, they have hockey and have a solid I-AA program. *They also have had some great basketball teams at that school. *They're enrollment is 18,000 so it is a little bigger, but it still shows that a I-AA team can compete in hockey and football. *Northeastern University is another good example. *Then we throw in some of the Ivy League schools at their is a pretty good mix of I-AA football teams, mid/major basketball teams, and DI hockey. For the I-A goers out there, if we look at some of the mid-major football/basketball programs that have hockey: Miami (Ohio), Western Michigan and Bowling Green(although their enrollment is pretty big), and Air Force Academy. *

UMass is a much better example (they actually have a I-AA championship), but I still think that New Hampshire is not a powerhouse.

That and they've had some solid basketball teams. Sure they're not a hockey powerhouse, but it still draws revenue for the school. I also forgot to add Conneticut, big basketball school and a I-A football team (although they have an enrollment of 23,000). Still though, having a hockey team for NDSU can draw fans and revenue without putting the other sports down.

DenverBison05
04-25-2006, 02:35 AM
A great hockey team doesn't give you a medicore DI-AA football team. *
Still though, having a hockey team for NDSU can draw fans and revenue without putting the other sports down.

Even UND cant say that hockey doesn't hurt them financially. Look at all the problems they have financing their women's hockey. Until it can be proven that hockey could make the AD money, I will be against having hockey.

USA_Hockey
04-25-2006, 03:11 AM
UND's women's program has only been around for 4 years and 2 in the WCHA. It's hard to say that when they haven't been given much of a chance. As for bringing in revenue, there are two revenue drawing sports for NDSU, football and basketball. Hockey would just be another revenue drawing sport, if you simply draw 4-6,000 fans a game it draws revenue. Sure it would take some money to start up, but in the long hall it could be NDSUs third revenue drawing sport, and that's much better than having two. Think about it, you could have a Saturday be a basketball/hockey doubleheader. Have the basketball game in the afternoon and then walk over to the FargoDome for the hockey game that night, it would be a lot of fun.

lakesbison
04-25-2006, 05:16 AM
everytime I see ERV. I mention HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY!!! He says... "there was a lot of interest. but not much action unfortunetly"

Im a Minnesota Kid and love NDSU.. and cheer for the GOPHERS obviously..

I asked Erv... we can play hockey in Fargodome and practice at John Carlson Colusiem.. ??? he said. YES>>.. and Rob at Fargodome said "hockey would be available at FARGODOME, needs boards, bascially, probably use the HALF DOME CONCERT model... thus seating 9000 maximum.. and opening the whole arena seating for UND, MINNESOTA, WISCONSIN, SCSU games"

So... now my questions was COSTS... Would need a MAJOR DONOR " Bollinger at Western products wanted to build a $20 million arena downtown... so why not get $10 million and use it for startup at NDSU and Boards at FARGODOME and Spruce up Colsieum for practices" WESTERN PRODUCTS HOCKEY NIGHT <<< call it..

16 Full Ride Scholarships .....

Womens Equestrian.. can be added... FREAKIN TITLE IX!!!!!!!!!!! Or Womens Swimming.. ICK..

Soo... Why isn't this talked about more??? I just don't get it... look at the FARGO SQUIRT TOURNEY.. and all the HOCKEY PARENTS in this town!!!! MOORHEAD is a HOCKEY HOTBED!!!!

This MAKES GOOD SENSE like USA HOCKEY GUY says... the conferences would like 1 more D 1 hockey team ........ plenty of players... so dont give me that COPOUT>. u naysayers!!

Wacker_in_the_Hall
04-25-2006, 06:03 AM
everytime I see ERV. I mention HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY!!! He says... "there was a lot of interest. but not much action unfortunetly"

Im a Minnesota Kid *and love NDSU.. and cheer for the GOPHERS obviously..

I asked Erv... we can play hockey in Fargodome and practice at John Carlson Colusiem.. ??? *he said. YES>>.. and Rob at Fargodome said "hockey would be available at FARGODOME, needs boards, bascially, probably use the HALF DOME CONCERT model... thus seating 9000 maximum.. and opening the whole arena seating for UND, MINNESOTA, WISCONSIN, SCSU games"

So... now my questions was COSTS... *Would need a MAJOR DONOR *" Bollinger at Western products wanted to build a $20 million arena downtown... so why not get $10 million and use it for startup at NDSU and Boards at FARGODOME and Spruce up Colsieum for practices" WESTERN PRODUCTS HOCKEY NIGHT <<< call it..

16 Full Ride Scholarships .....

Womens Equestrian.. can be added... *FREAKIN TITLE IX!!!!!!!!!!! *Or Womens Swimming.. ICK..

Soo... Why isn't this talked about more??? *I just don't get it... look at the FARGO SQUIRT TOURNEY.. and all the HOCKEY PARENTS in this town!!!! * MOORHEAD is a HOCKEY HOTBED!!!!

This MAKES GOOD SENSE like USA HOCKEY GUY says... the conferences would like 1 more D 1 hockey team ........ plenty of players... so dont give me that COPOUT>. u naysayers!!

"when monkees fly from our arse's"

Charger
04-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Although many fans would not like to see hockey, I thought I would show a seating chart of the Fargodome with a rink. *I believe this is how they would do a hockey setup.
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/548/fargodomehockey7qd.jpg

lakesbison
04-25-2006, 04:19 PM
oh i think i like it.......... LETS.. PLAY.. HOCKEY!!!

IowaBisonToo
04-25-2006, 08:19 PM
It will be a long, long time before NDSU gets hockey. That's OK. I did my undergrad at SCSU and love watching them beat the Sioux over the past few years. That being said, even though I really do enjoy college hockey, NDSU won't get hockey becuase of a few reasons. First, NDSU is mainly a FB school. People in the state will say, UND has hockey, we have the rest of the sports DI. That's good enough. Second, Title IX. To costly to field another women's sport unless you cut two current men's programs. Third, hockey conference. If anybody thinks for a moment that NDSU would get into the WCHA, they've been smoking to much wacky tobbacy! NDSU would end up in the CHA with Air Force, Bemidji St, Alabama Huntsville (a hockey hot bed ::) ), Niagra, and 2 or 3 other schools. You want to talk about a travel budget! In the immortal words of Frank Barone, "HOLY CRAP :o ." Imagine flying to most of your games vs taking a bus up/down I-94. Who's going to back that? Plus, I highly doubt you would consider any of them a big rivalry, although I could be wrong. I guess BSU could be. It would be pretty difficult to even put 4,000 AISs (a$$es in seats for those with accronym trouble) much less sell it out. That would make the Fabulous Fargodome more like the Flopping Fargodome. That would seem pretty empty. All in all, dreams are wonderful but reality bites sometimes.

USA_Hockey
04-25-2006, 10:55 PM
It will be a long, long time before NDSU gets hockey. *That's OK. *I did my undergrad at SCSU and love watching them beat the Sioux over the past few years. *That being said, even though I really do enjoy college hockey, NDSU won't get hockey becuase of a few reasons. *First, NDSU is mainly a FB school. *People in the state will say, UND has hockey, we have the rest of the sports DI. *That's good enough. *Second, Title IX. *To costly to field another women's sport unless you cut two current men's programs. *Third, hockey conference. *If anybody thinks for a moment that NDSU would get into the WCHA, they've been smoking to much wacky tobbacy! *NDSU would end up in the CHA with Air Force, Bemidji St, Alabama Huntsville (a hockey hot bed ::) ), Niagra, and 2 or 3 other schools. *You want to talk about a travel budget! *In the immortal words of Frank Barone, "HOLY CRAP :o ." *Imagine flying to most of your games vs taking a bus up/down I-94. *Who's going to back that? *Plus, I highly doubt you would consider any of them a big rivalry, although I could be wrong. *I guess BSU could be. *It would be pretty difficult to even put 4,000 AISs (a$$es in seats for those with accronym trouble) much less sell it out. *That would make the Fabulous Fargodome more like the Flopping Fargodome. *That would seem pretty empty. *All in all, dreams are wonderful but reality bites sometimes.

I hope that was a joke, St. Cloud beating the Sioux. SCSU has never made it past the first round of the regionals. This year was the first year they ever swept UND in Grand Forks, but UND won the important game anyway, so it didn't mean much.

USA_Hockey
04-25-2006, 10:56 PM
It will be a long, long time before NDSU gets hockey. *That's OK. *I did my undergrad at SCSU and love watching them beat the Sioux over the past few years. *That being said, even though I really do enjoy college hockey, NDSU won't get hockey becuase of a few reasons. *First, NDSU is mainly a FB school. *People in the state will say, UND has hockey, we have the rest of the sports DI. *That's good enough. *Second, Title IX. *To costly to field another women's sport unless you cut two current men's programs. *Third, hockey conference. *If anybody thinks for a moment that NDSU would get into the WCHA, they've been smoking to much wacky tobbacy! *NDSU would end up in the CHA with Air Force, Bemidji St, Alabama Huntsville (a hockey hot bed ::) ), Niagra, and 2 or 3 other schools. *You want to talk about a travel budget! *In the immortal words of Frank Barone, "HOLY CRAP :o ." *Imagine flying to most of your games vs taking a bus up/down I-94. *Who's going to back that? *Plus, I highly doubt you would consider any of them a big rivalry, although I could be wrong. *I guess BSU could be. *It would be pretty difficult to even put 4,000 AISs (a$$es in seats for those with accronym trouble) much less sell it out. *That would make the Fabulous Fargodome more like the Flopping Fargodome. *That would seem pretty empty. *All in all, dreams are wonderful but reality bites sometimes.

If you want to talk about a travel budget for NDSU with no revenue coming back to the school, let's talk about baseball.

USA_Hockey
04-25-2006, 10:59 PM

Averaging 4,000 fans a game at a school of 11-12,000 students in a community of 150,000 people isn't necessarily a dream over reality.

DIBISON
04-26-2006, 12:53 AM
This hockey topic is a dead subject, beat too death by only a few interested people, time to move on!!

lakesbison
04-26-2006, 01:02 AM
If you don't like the discussion.. leave it!!! my god..

NDSU should have HOCKEY.. whats the % of students from Minnesota at NDSU? 65%?

mostly from twin cities.. they grew up on HOCKEY and LOVE HOCKEY!!

I personally could get 4000-5000 people into the Fargodome for Bemidji State....

Minnesota, Wisconsin, UND and St CloudState.. are SURE FIRE SELL OUTS

Duluth, Mankato should be 8,000=-10000

Omaha, Ferris State, etc etc would bring small crowds..

LETS DO THIS FARGO!!! look at the SQUIRT TOURNEY!!! LOOK at all the people in Fargo-Moorhead with Hockey kids!!

kchats
04-26-2006, 02:04 AM
We have more important issues than adding a very expensive sport to our athletic program. We are busy ramping up all of our division I programs to become competitive in division I. We are also searching for a conference home for all of our division I programs. Doesn't make any sense.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
04-26-2006, 04:26 AM
If you don't like the discussion.. leave it!!! * my god..

I personally could get 4000-5000 people into the Fargodome for Bemidji State.... *

Duluth, Mankato * should be 8,000=-10000

Omaha, *Ferris State, etc etc would bring small crowds..

LETS DO THIS FARGO!!! *look at the SQUIRT TOURNEY!!! LOOK at all the people in Fargo-Moorhead with Hockey kids!!

Every penny earned---pissed down the leg in woman's hockey

Title 9 bogus adventure

Hockey makes no "cents"

USA_Hockey
04-26-2006, 04:49 AM
If you don't like the discussion.. leave it!!! * my god..

I personally could get 4000-5000 people into the Fargodome for Bemidji State.... *

Duluth, Mankato * should be 8,000=-10000

Omaha, *Ferris State, etc etc would bring small crowds..

LETS DO THIS FARGO!!! *look at the SQUIRT TOURNEY!!! LOOK at all the people in Fargo-Moorhead with Hockey kids!!

Every penny earned---pissed down the leg in woman's hockey

Title 9 *bogus adventure

Hockey makes no "cents"

Every penny earned for hockey at UND doesn't get pissed down the leg towards woman's hockey, men's hockey at UND is by far the biggest revenue draw. I'm never going to convince some people on this thread, so I'm going to stop here by emphasizing that adding a hockey would give NDSU at least a third revenue draw with the possibility to surpass basketball and football for first. I know that NDSU is trying to build their other programs and join a conference, but with the opportunity of a hockey conference knocking on the door, this would be a good time. Yes it would cost a good chunk to start up, but sometimes the more money you put in the more you get out.

Cratter
04-26-2006, 12:17 PM
We have more important issues than adding a very expensive sport to our athletic program. Doesn't make any sense.

I sure don't want you running my business. Your "costs of goods sold" may be high but here is the part you forget so is your "revenue." Meaning a positive net income for your school if you had hockey. You seem to be forgetting that part.

You don't have to add womens hockey if you add mens hockey. You could add womens bowling or a number of other minimum cost sports.

Bison_Dan
04-26-2006, 01:10 PM
We have more important issues than adding a very expensive sport to our athletic program. Doesn't make any sense.

I sure don't want you running my business. *Your "costs of goods sold" may be high but here is the part you forget so is your "revenue." Meaning a positive net income for your school if you had hockey. You seem to be forgetting that part.

You don't have to add womens hockey if you add mens hockey. You could add womens bowling or a number of other minimum cost sports.

I agree the revenue side would be high, but tell me this - why then is und running deficits and what conference would we be in?

IowaBisonToo
04-26-2006, 01:32 PM
A couple things for you, USA_Hockey.

Here we go again. *Mention the fact I liked watching somebody beat UND in hockey and the, "you haven't done squat in the playoffs..." or "yeah, well we have 7 national championships" trump cards get pulled out by some UND rube. *That is completely off topic here, USA_Hockey! *>:( *Read what I wrote before you start getting all "we're better than you are" on me. *I simply stated I liked watching SC beat UND over the past few years and don't tell me it hasn't happened. *I didn't say I liked watching SC SWEEP UND over the past few years, did I??? *:-?

It IS a dream to fill the Fargodome for hockey when you're playing schools like BSU or Air Force or UA-Huntsville, which is the only conference NDSU could get into. *Period! *The only time you'd even come close to a sell out is if they played UND or MN and that's probably it. *Again, read what I posted. *This is what I said initially. *Not that NDSU was going to fill the place every weekend. *Being the hocky guru you must be, I'm sure you've been to SC to watch a game and if not, at least know the reputation it now has as an arena (not a very good one, although I still kind of like it - call me a homer) but, I'd much rather see a game there than the Fargodome. *Hell, they can't even fill the arena every weekend and their tradition of hockey is greater than anything NDSU could ever dream of at this point.

We're not talking about baseball here, we're talking about hockey so it's irrelevant at this point.

lakesbison
04-26-2006, 04:10 PM
im from st cloud area... so GO HUSKIES vs the SIOUX.. NOT the GOPHERS THOUGH!!! ha ha

relax.. usa hockey dude.. is right on this subject... so maybe he can logically answer bison dans question.. or

"""I agree the revenue side would be high, but tell me this - why then is und running deficits and what conference would we be in? "

UND probably pissed the money away ....

Womens hockey is a JOKE.... thats 1 thing... #2.. maybe they are takin money from hockey to use against the fight for the LOGO... since Ralph wouldve wanted it that way..

IF THERE IS A BIG TEN CONFERENCE FORMED..... WCHA would have a spot for NDSU...BSU.. I beleive....

Big Ten

Minn
mich
mich st
Wisc
Ohio State/??
Illionois???

WCHA

UND
NDSU
Mankato
Duluth
Bemidji
NDSU
Denver
Colorado College

USA_Hockey
04-26-2006, 07:46 PM
im from st cloud area... so GO HUSKIES vs the SIOUX.. NOT the GOPHERS THOUGH!!! ha ha

relax.. usa hockey dude.. is right on this subject... so maybe he can logically answer bison dans question.. or

"""I agree the revenue side would be high, but tell me this - why then is und running deficits and what conference would we be in? * "

UND probably pissed the money away ....

Womens hockey is a JOKE.... *thats 1 thing... *#2.. maybe they are takin money from hockey to use against the fight for the LOGO... since Ralph wouldve wanted it that way..

IF THERE IS A BIG TEN CONFERENCE FORMED..... *WCHA would have a spot for NDSU...BSU.. I beleive....

Big Ten

Minn
mich
mich st
Wisc
Ohio State/??
Illionois???

WCHA

UND
NDSU
Mankato
Duluth
Bemidji
NDSU
Denver
Colorado College

A Big Ten hockey conference would compromise of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and one other affiliate member, UND being a possible choice for that. If that were to happen, NDSU would have the opportunity to get into the WCHA. If a Big Ten conference would fall through, then NDSU would have the opportunity to get into the CHA. As for Bison Dans question, I don't know the exact reasons for UND running deficits, but I don't think having the sport of hockey is the reason. I think Tom Buning is much smarter than Roger Thomas and I feel he will relieve the financial situation for the athletic dept. at UND.

IowaBisonToo
04-26-2006, 07:52 PM

IF THERE IS A BIG TEN CONFERENCE FORMED..... *WCHA would have a spot for NDSU...BSU.. I beleive....

Big Ten

Minn
mich
mich st
Wisc
Ohio State/??
Illionois???

WCHA

UND
NDSU
Mankato
Duluth
Alaska-A
Bemidji
SCSU
Mich Tech
Denver
Colorado College
Boy, that is a BIG, BIG IF!! *:o *By the way, you forgot a few schools above.

I think there's a better chance of NDSU getting into the Big 12 than Illinois AND Ohio State adding varsity hockey programs.

If it did happen, you might see some shuffling of other schools between conferences, too. *Example, UNO coming into the WCHA as they are already very familiar with the "NCC" schools and it may lighten their travel budget a bit. *The WCHA may want to bring in established programs first which would give UNO a big edge over NDSU - unless NDSU has something really big to offer, whatever that may be.

USA_Hockey
04-26-2006, 08:06 PM

Big Ten

Minn
mich
mich st
Wisc
Ohio State/??
Illionois???

WCHA

UND
NDSU
Mankato
Duluth
Alaska-A
Bemidji
SCSU
Mich Tech
Denver
Colorado College

I think there's a better chance of NDSU getting into the Big 12 than Illinois AND Ohio State adding varsity hockey programs.

If it did happen, you might see some shuffling of other schools between conferences, too. *Example, UNO coming into the WCHA as they are already very familiar with the "NCC" schools and it may lighten their travel budget a bit. *The WCHA may want to bring in established programs first which would give UNO a big edge over NDSU - unless NDSU has something really big to offer, whatever that may be.

Ohio State already has hockey, that's why there has been talk about it happening because the Big Ten only needs one more team for a conference. I don't think Illinois will get hockey because they have such a strong basketball program so the interest wouldn't be there. The one advantage of Illinois is they're in good recruiting grounds because the USHL is in that area plus some of the best Midget teams are in Chicago. Penn State has also talked about getting hockey. As of right now though, the biggest possibility is UND or Notre Dame being an affiliate member.

IowaBisonToo
04-26-2006, 08:41 PM

Big Ten

Minn
mich
mich st
Wisc
Ohio State/??
Illionois???

WCHA

UND
NDSU
Mankato
Duluth
Alaska-A
Bemidji
SCSU
Mich Tech
Denver
Colorado College

Ohio State already has hockey, that's why there has been talk about it happening because the Big Ten only needs one more team for a conference. *I don't think Illinois will get hockey because they have such a strong basketball program so the interest wouldn't be there. *The one advantage of Illinois is they're in good recruiting grounds because the USHL is in that area plus some of the best Midget teams are in Chicago. *Penn State has also talked about getting hockey. *As of right now though, the biggest possibility is UND or Notre Dame being an affiliate member. *
Yeah, I knew Ohio St had hockey. My bad. :-[ I don't see the Big Ten starting their own hockey conference because 1) It would only have 6 schools and 2) The WCHA and CCHA, as much as they could, wouldn't let it happen regardless of who the affiliate member would be. The BTHC (Big Ten Hock Conf) would then have to worry about scheduling other teams to fill their schedules. Not saying they couldn't do it but I highly doubt any of the schools would want to leave their current affiliations.

One other thing, UND becoming an affiliate member of the BTHC - is this something that's actually been talked about seriously or is this another UND rube with a big ego that needs to be stroked -- placing themselves with the likes of the Big Ten schools??? :-? ;)

Siouxpreme
04-26-2006, 09:23 PM
One other thing, UND becoming an affiliate member of the BTHC - is this something that's actually been talked about seriously or is this another UND rube with a big ego that needs to be stroked -- placing themselves with the likes of the Big Ten schools??? :-? ;)

Believe it or not, IowaBisonII, there has been "UND hockey to the Big Ten" talk by non-Sioux hockey fans and journalists in the past, and just recently:

The loss of the CHA could accelerate the possibility of a Big Ten hockey conference. Depending on your allegiances and regional affiliation, this is either an exciting development or a terrible omen. If CHA teams were to be absorbed into existing leagues, college hockey ends up with as many as 59 Division I teams packed into five conferences, some of which would have as many as 14 members.
Cozy, no?
That gridlock could stoke the fire beneath the always-bubbling pot of a Big Ten league, which would potentially be composed of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Wisconsin and a sixth team like North Dakota, Penn State (which would have to move up to varsity from club status) or Notre Dame.

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,12591/ANewWorldOrder.html

IowaBisonToo
04-26-2006, 10:08 PM

Believe it or not, IowaBisonII, there has been "UND hockey to the Big Ten" talk by non-Sioux hockey fans and journalists in the past, and just recently:

The loss of the CHA could accelerate the possibility of a Big Ten hockey conference. Depending on your allegiances and regional affiliation, this is either an exciting development or a terrible omen. If CHA teams were to be absorbed into existing leagues, college hockey ends up with as many as 59 Division I teams packed into five conferences, some of which would have as many as 14 members.
Cozy, no?
That gridlock could stoke the fire beneath the always-bubbling pot of a Big Ten league, which would potentially be composed of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Wisconsin and a sixth team like North Dakota, Penn State (which would have to move up to varsity from club status) or Notre Dame.

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,12591/ANewWorldOrder.html

My guess is they wouldn't stop at just those 6-8 schools, though. I would think and hope they would add some more. Again, though, I find it difficult to believe it would happen very easily and would be extremely hard to get it around the current conferences. Let's say UMich, MichSt, MN, WI, OSU and UND (just to stroke your ego ;) ) become the new BTHC. Weren't 4 of those 6 schools in the playoffs this year? Do you think it would go over very well they played in a conference and beat each other up during the year, were good enough to get into the playoffs but didn't because of their record? I'm sorry, I just don't see this happening. They can prove me wrong but you'd be hard pressed to have better rivalries than you do now with the current conf setup, IMHO. Personally, I don't want to see the Mich schools, MN, WI and OSU in a conf of their own.

lakesbison
04-27-2006, 01:51 AM
I want SOMEONE in this MEDIA JOKE of a TOWN... to ask GENE TAYLOR/JOE CHAPMAN about NDSU Hockey...

I DARE YOU TV stations, FORUM..... Radio stations don't count, WDAY/KFGO never ask questions.

When I was at NCAA regional cheering on Minnesota.. I talked to hundreds of people about NDSU HOCKEY..and I even went to PRESS ROW.. and dared people to bring NDSU up at the news conference held by the WCHA..

I'm gonna start this..... signs "Lets get it started.. ...." Black Eyed Peas Represent.

NanoBison
04-27-2006, 03:05 AM
Ok, someone explain to me, if it's going to be called the "Big 10" hockey conference, shouldn't they have the 10 biggest members?
Or is it going to be something stupid where they take the "Big 10" logo and incorporate a 6 into it, like they did with the 11 for football?

If you want us sooooooooo badly to go into hockey, why the heck wouldn't we join the "Big 10" hockey conference then? When it all comes down to it, its not really about the talent is it? It's about the money. Money Money Money Money ...[hi pitched yelp] MONEY!

i.e.

http://graphics.ocsn.com/confs/big10/graphics/big10-04-top-03.gif

USA_Hockey
04-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Ok, someone explain to me, if it's going to be called the "Big 10" hockey conference, shouldn't they have the 10 biggest members?
Or is it going to be something stupid where they take the "Big 10" logo and incorporate a 6 into it, like they did with the 11 for football?

If you want us sooooooooo badly to go into hockey, why the heck wouldn't we join the "Big 10" hockey conference then? When it all comes down to it, its not really about the talent is it? It's about the money. Money Money Money Money ...[hi pitched yelp] MONEY!

i.e.

http://graphics.ocsn.com/confs/big10/graphics/big10-04-top-03.gif

The Big Ten is pretty much a name thing, like you said there are 11 teams for football. The Big Ten would simply be sactioning it as a sport, doesn't have to be 10 teams. It would only be looking for one more member and they would want to be the elite conference in the country, so they would look for an established program.

kchats
04-27-2006, 03:41 AM
Maybe since these conferences are so hot for NDSU to add hockey, the conference could pay the start up costs for NDSU adding hockey. You know the conference could build NDSU a $100 million arena and all the required equipment, fund all the scholarships for the first 5 years (I'm assuming there would be a transition period), pay the coaches salaries and fund all travel to games. Hockey is such a big revenue generator that the conference could easily foot the bill to add a team that they seem to desperately want to add. ;)

NanoBison
04-27-2006, 03:44 AM
If they do that, then I'm game.

Don't you think though it should be a $150 million dollar arena? I mean construction costs have risen quite a bit since REA got built.

roadwarrior
04-27-2006, 03:56 AM
The Big Ten is pretty much a name thing, like you said there are 11 teams for football.

The Big Ten has eleven members, not just for football.

RodentiaX
04-27-2006, 03:44 PM
A Big Ten Hockey Conference would not be formed, what would happen is that the Big Ten would add hockey - there's no Big Ten Football Conference, for example. Even forgetting the fact that the Big Ten actually has 11 members, there's no requirement that all teams play every sport. I believe that only 7 or 8 Big Ten schools play field hockey for example. College hockey may be due for a conference realignment.

lakesbison
04-27-2006, 10:02 PM
LETS PLAY HOCKEY FARGO!!!!!

lakesbison
05-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Start a Mid Con Conference??

those towns have hockey influences.... maybe?

WAC ATTACK in HOCKEY?

NanoBison
05-10-2006, 05:28 AM
Pass around what your smoking so we can get some... :-?

lakesbison
11-29-2006, 06:58 PM
STAART THIS THREAD UP AGAIN!!

good reading in it!!

roadwarrior
11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
If it was so popular, it wouldn't have died out six months ago......

Bison101
11-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Start a Mid Con Conference??

those towns have hockey influences.... maybe?

WAC ATTACK in HOCKEY?

How about a MidCon/Big North scheduling alliance with the new Big ten conference.

Big North
UND
NDSU
USD
Minn State
UNO (renamed to Nebraska State as part of their DI move)
SCSU Hockey only
UMD Hockey only

Big Ten
Michigan
MSU
tOSU
Penn State
Wisconsin
Minnesota

mikelsch
11-29-2006, 10:09 PM
http://www.zedlacher.com/images/pictures/no_hockey.jpg

RodentiaX1
11-30-2006, 02:44 AM
The best bet would be the CHA. Currently, each of the six D-I hockey conferences are hockey-only conferences. Down the road, a Big North Conference could be a possibility if teams from the NCC moved into the Mid-Con as other teams move out (presuming their are openings in the future). The Mid-Con could have the name change they have been looking at.

Of course, NDSU might have moved up themselves by that time.

lakesbison
11-30-2006, 03:08 AM
Independant in Hockey wouldnt be a bad thing for first 2 years.

Playing with Juniors and transfers, canadians??? ewww maybe.

You could schedule everyone for a weekend:

Minnesota
wisconsin
mankato
st cloud
duluth
und
Omaha 4 times
Bemidji 4 times
Lake Superior st
north mich
Ferriss state

then take a trip to east coast for 4-6 games

GENE TAYLOR>.. YOUR DONE!! I DID YOUR JOB>> AGAIN!!!

sambini
11-30-2006, 03:31 AM
If it was so popular, it wouldn't have died out six months ago......
+++++++++++++++

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-30-2006, 03:35 AM
Independant in Hockey wouldnt be a bad thing for first 2 years.

Playing with Juniors and transfers, canadians??? ewww maybe.

You could schedule everyone for a weekend:

Minnesota
wisconsin
mankato
st cloud
duluth
und
Omaha *4 times
Bemidji *4 times
Lake Superior st
north mich
Ferriss state

then take a trip to east coast for 4-6 games

GENE TAYLOR>.. YOUR DONE!! I DID YOUR JOB>> AGAIN!!!

Lakes when this gets done --I will buy you Season Tickets to the Girls Hockey Games. I will see to it that you watch each ugly game. I will remind you how much having Hockey will hurt the Athletic Department. Specifically what a frickin drain womens hockey is.

Go watch the Sue womens hockey team---then come back here and tell us we need Hocke

RodentiaX1
11-30-2006, 05:27 AM
If NDSU were to add hockey, there is no way that NDSU would be independent. The CHA would be banging on the doors. You'ld have to join the CHA just to get some sleep. Besides, scheduling would be brutal as an independent.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-30-2006, 05:32 AM
I'm saying no to NDSU hockey for at least another 10 years regardless of what sort of privately funded arena gets built. I know we are doing well so far and everything, but where we will get in trouble is starting to try and take on too much, too fast. Hockey is expensive and right now I'd like to see us just stick to making sure all the sports we have are well established.

sambini
11-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Let it rest+++

Mr._Bill
11-30-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm sure the sioux want us in their hockey conference about as bad as I want them in our football and basketball conferences. I don't even want to think about DI hockey for many years. If we reach a strong level in basketball and funding is knocking down the door, let's talk.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-01-2006, 03:59 AM
++++ If it gets to a point where it is obvious to all that we would be stupid not to add hockey, then I say do it. Otherwise, let it go.

met1990
12-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Hockey is so obvious. Why don't we get hockey? Look at how many people give a shit about hockey. There's at least 18-23 people.

Build a fricking cathedral to hockey. It means you are a real human being.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 04:56 PM
yeah, i'm sure we would welcome hockey with open arms!! ::) ::)

sambini
12-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Hockey is not even in the picture. Remember title 9 you have to have womens hockey also.

kchats
12-31-2006, 11:00 PM
That would be a huge weight around the athletic departments neck. It is far more important to make all the other programs successful in division I than to add two more sports.

sambini
01-01-2007, 04:44 AM
I know as Teammakers go we are having a time in raising money now for the sports we have. They need be on solid ground before you add sports.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-01-2007, 04:00 PM
The thing to remember as well is that hockey is one of the most expensive sports out there, so unless you get one that makes money it can be the albatross around your athletic department's neck.

lakesbison
01-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Well, With the impending Hockey Sheet at Brandt Arena, my thread can continue!!

All you naysayers need to stop and smell the zamboni!!

HOCKEY is gonna happen!!! Why would you want to put up a wall bison fans!!!!

Moorhead, Fargo South, D. lakes, Fergus Falls, Alexandria, all great hockey towns.

Roseau, Warroad, TRF, Bemidji as well.

Twin cities kids.

THERE"S GONNA BE A 1st CLASS HOCKEY ARENA in FARGO!!

Why not get NDSU's logo on it!!!

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-11-2007, 03:18 AM
And Sambini will get naming rights to the Zamboni.................

Hockey is a cult sport---lets have some Kool-Aid and talk about it

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-11-2007, 05:15 AM
If NDSU adds hockey sometime in the next five to ten years it will break the back of the athletic department. It would be a horrible idea at this point and I'm not really all that interested in having a hockey team at NDSU anyway when I can just watch Golden Gopher hockey (coincidentally my favorite sports team).

RodentiaX1
01-11-2007, 05:27 PM
There are a lot of hockey towns around sure. But there is also a lot of D-I hockey programs too - 5 in Minnesota alone. Now if someone wants to pony up the cash to pay for the hockey program, and not just for an arena, then it could work. Otherwise, it would just drain too much money out of the athletic department. Besides, if NDSU adds hockey they would most likely play in the CHA, which is the least prestigious of the D-I hockey conferences.

imabison
01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
And Sambini will get naming rights to the Zamboni.................

Hockey is a cult sport---lets have some Kool-Aid and talk about it

BUT Roadwarrior would have to be in the drivers seat.... ;D ;D ;D NOT

2006gwfcchamps
01-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Remember title 9 you have to have womens hockey also.

There are teams out there with only men's DI hockey.

UAA and Alaska come to mind.

Bisonguy
01-12-2007, 12:18 AM

Any examples with schools that actually have a football team?

DenverBison05
01-12-2007, 12:45 AM

UMASS, unless women field hockey counts ;D

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-12-2007, 01:48 AM
If NDSU was stupid enough to add hokey

We would need Chick Hockey to stay in compliance with Title Nine

Bisonguy
01-12-2007, 02:32 AM

Do they have a men's field hockey team?

If not, it counts as a hockey team.

DenverBison05
01-12-2007, 03:19 AM
How so? Field hockey is a lot less expensive then ice hockey.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Read my lips: no new sports.

sambini
01-13-2007, 12:52 AM
We are fine with what we have.

Bisonguy
01-13-2007, 03:21 AM
How so? Field hockey is a lot less expensive then ice hockey. *

It's still an additional financial drain on the athletic budget.

RodentiaX1
01-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Besides, it might be hard to find a conference for field hockey. For hockey, it may be prohibitively expensive, but at least there is the CHA.

Siouxpreme
01-13-2007, 03:56 PM

Title IX does not require women's hockey if men's hockey is added.

Besides UMASS, these schools with football and men's hockey don't have women's hockey:

Michigan
Michigan St
Notre Dame
Bowling Green
Miami
Western Michigan
Northern Michigan
Michigan Tech
Ferris State
Nebraska Omaha

kchats
01-13-2007, 03:59 PM
You have to add women's scholarships to match the added men's scholarships. I guess if you added hockey without any scholarships you wouldn't have to add women's hockey.

NDSU would be very foolish to add hockey. NDSU's priority should be to build a basketball program that wins the Mid Con and gets to the NCAA tournament yearly. Hockey would impede that.

2006gwfcchamps
01-13-2007, 05:41 PM
You have to add women's scholarships to match the added men's scholarships.

Title IX only deals in participation, not scholarships.

As long as the ratio of unduplicated male participants to unduplicated female participants is equal to the ratio male full time undergraduate enrollment to female full time undergraduate enrollment, you're good.

Or, they're not equal but you're showing progress towards making them equal.

Scholarships are just a way to get kids to come to the school.

Technically, NDSU doesn't have to give women any scholarships so long as they had participants. But what girls are going to play for NDSU for nothing? None.

Siouxpreme
01-13-2007, 05:58 PM
You have to add women's scholarships to match the added men's scholarships. *I guess if you added hockey without any scholarships you wouldn't have to add women's hockey.Colorado College has DI men's hockey and DI women's soccer. A school adding men's hockey can add any number of women's sports (or drop a men's sport).

NDSU would be very foolish to add hockey. *NDSU's priority should be to build a basketball program that wins the Mid Con and gets to the NCAA tournament yearly. *Hockey would impede that.NDSU was very foolish not to add hockey years ago. NDSU's priority should be to build a basketball arena, that also has the capability of hosting hockey games, should you choose to do so 5 or 10 years down the road.

kchats
01-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Glad UND fans think NDSU needs to add hockey to slow down the momentum the division I move has. NDSU already has division I women's soccer. In case you have been under a rock the past few years NDSU has been division I in all sports since 2004. Hockey would be foolish to add since it takes funding away from more visible sports that are more important to be successful. NDSU needs to build its men's basketball team into a consistent NCAA tournament team, they don't need hockey.

2006gwfcchamps
01-13-2007, 06:06 PM
While it's true that NDSU is the football school in the state and UND is the hockey school, UND does have football even though it has limited support (5000 attendance for a playoff game).

I think that once NDSU has firmly established itself as a national contender in FCS and contending for Mid Con championships every year, we should consider adding only men's hockey.

But for now, there is no need.

roadwarrior
01-13-2007, 10:25 PM
It is not necessary to match the number of women's scholarships to the number of men's scholarships, nor is it necessary to match the ratio of womens/mens scholarships to the enrollment of women/men. To understand all of the ramifications of meeting Title IX requirements, you probably need to take a class that explains it all.

That being said, don't look for hockey at NDSU anytime in the next ten years.

Mr._Bill
01-13-2007, 11:09 PM
It is not necessary to match the number of women's scholarships to the number of men's scholarships, nor is it necessary to match the ratio of womens/mens scholarships to the enrollment of women/men. *To understand all of the ramifications of meeting Title IX requirements, you probably need to take a class that explains it all.

Yes the scholarships have to be equal but the sports do not. We can add men's hockey without adding women's hockey. We would however have to add equestrian or something like that to offset the men's scholly's. Men's hockey does not mean women's hockey has to be added, but womens scholarship do have to added if men's are added. It seems like many are confused on this point.

That said, now is no time for adding sports.

Bisonguy
01-14-2007, 05:31 PM
It is not necessary to match the number of women's scholarships to the number of men's scholarships, nor is it necessary to match the ratio of womens/mens scholarships to the enrollment of women/men. *To understand all of the ramifications of meeting Title IX requirements, you probably need to take a class that explains it all.

Yes the scholarships have to be equal but the sports do not. *We can add men's hockey without adding women's hockey. *We would however have to add equestrian or something like that to offset the men's scholly's. *Men's hockey does not mean women's hockey has to be added, but womens scholarship do have to added if men's are added. *It seems like many are confused on this point.

That said, now is no time for adding sports.

Meh, all it would take is a handful of women that wanted hockey to complain that women's hockey was not added but men's hockey was, and then it's lawsuit time. Case in point, LSU in 2000.

It's no quite as easy as 'balancing' scholarships.

2006gwfcchamps
01-14-2007, 06:08 PM
It is not necessary to match the number of women's scholarships to the number of men's scholarships, nor is it necessary to match the ratio of womens/mens scholarships to the enrollment of women/men. To understand all of the ramifications of meeting Title IX requirements, you probably need to take a class that explains it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX

This actually is not a horribly hard read.

Basically, for college athletics it comes down to this:

how many unduplicated male and female participants do you have and how many male and female full time undergraduate students are enrolled?

To be in compliance the ratios should either be equal or there should be continuous progress toward making them equal.

EDIT: forgot the link

2006gwfcchamps
01-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Men's hockey does not mean women's hockey has to be added, but womens scholarship do have to added if men's are added. It seems like many are confused on this point.

Sorry, but this is simply false information.

Participation is the only number that matters. Scholarships are irrelevant.

If scholarships were the only numbers that mattered, a school like Wisc. Whitewater could have 30 men's sports and 5 women's sports because they give 0 scholarships. So the ratio of 0 to 0 would be equal.

roadwarrior
01-14-2007, 06:11 PM
To be in compliance the ratios should either be equal or there should be continuous progress toward making them equal.

This is ONE way to be in compliance, but not the only way.

2006gwfcchamps
01-14-2007, 06:20 PM

Hmm... what other way are you thinking of?

roadwarrior
01-14-2007, 07:01 PM
One other way is that NDSU meets the "interests and abilities" of the female student population.

2006gwfcchamps
01-14-2007, 08:25 PM
I have no idea what that means.

All I know is that NDSU's participation ratio is pretty close to its enrollment ratio, which should make them complient.

If you have 25 more men participating because of a men's hockey team, then you need to add female participants in some sport.

Just looking at UND's OPE participation charts, they had 27 in men's hockey and 34 in women's swimming. So that would more than do it right there.

kchats
01-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Brick wall. :o

2006gwfcchamps
01-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Brick wall.

Perhaps you have something to add?

kchats
01-14-2007, 09:43 PM
People are wasting their time debating with you since you never listen. You argue against everybody on every thread and it is quite annoying. Does that say enough for you?

Hammersmith
01-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Hmm... what other way are you thinking of?
My god, it's in the wiki article that you yourself posted.

The three-prong test of compliance:
1. Providing athletic opportunites that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment.
2. Demonstrate a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented gender.
3. Full and effective accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented gender.

NDSU is currently using option #3 (references: GF Herald articles on 23 July and the response from Kolpack in his blog). NDSU has plans to move to option #1 by the end of the transition or slightly after. Option #1 is the only sure-fire way to win a lawsuit. Other schools using options #2 & #3 have lost lawsuits filed against them.

Though scholarships aren't named specifically, deliberately ignoring them seems like a violation of the original text of Title IX:

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

That "be denied the benefits of" and "be subjected to discrimination" would worry me if I was an athletic director in a position to lose my school millions of dollars in a lawsuit. Let's use 2006gwfcchamps' arguement: "It's okay not to give women athletic scholarships as long as we give them a chance to play. So what if men have the opportunity to have their education paid for and women don't?" Do you really think a judge and jury, not to mention the DOJ, would buy that?

edit: typo fixed

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-15-2007, 03:15 AM
Suffice to say that, Title Nine requirements would be much easier to meet if Football was extracted from the equation. Many women's advocates would argue this point, but the fact remains that Mens Football drives the bus at most Division 1 institutions.

2006gwfcchamps
01-15-2007, 03:02 PM
You argue against everybody on every thread and it is quite annoying.

So basically, anyone who disagrees with you is an annoying brick. Got it.

2006gwfcchamps
01-15-2007, 03:08 PM
The three-prong test of compliance:
1. Providing athletic opportunites that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment.
2. Demonstrate a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented gender.
3. Full and effective accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented gender.

NDSU is currently using option #3 (references: GF Herald articles on 23 July and the response from Kolpack in his blog). NDSU has plans to move to option #1 by the end of the transition or slightly after. Option #1 is the only sure-fire way to win a lawsuit. Other schools using options #2 & #3 have lost lawsuits filed against them.

What does 3 mean in conversational english? I don't see any difference between 3 and 1.

Let's use 2006gwfcchamps' arguement: "It's okay not to give women athletic scholarships as long as we give them a chance to play.

That's not my argument.

My argument was that participation numbers are all that matter but there is no way you can get participation without scholarships.

NDSU could drop to DIII and not award a single scholarship. But we'd still have to maintain compliance via participation numbers. Therefore, it always comes down to participation.

We have to provide a minimum number of sports and a minimum number of scholarships (I think) because of NCAA DI rules.

The only way we're going to get women to participate in our programs is to offer them scholarships.

Do you really think a judge and jury, not to mention the DOJ, would buy that?

I have no idea.

But I'm sure I could think up a defense that would at least have a chance to work.

Hammersmith
01-15-2007, 04:50 PM
What does 3 mean in conversational english? I don't see any difference between 3 and 1.
Using Compliance Test 1: You have 60% men, 40% women at AnyUniversity. 60% of your athletes are male, 40% are female. You pass.
Using Compliance Test 3: *You have 60% men, 40% women at AnyUniversity. You give out a survey to every student in which you ask them if they are interested in participating in athletics. Of those that respond yes, 74% are male and 26% are female. 70% of your athletes are male, 30% are female. You pass.
Using Compliance Test 3: *You have 60% men, 40% women at AnyUniversity. 65% of your athletes are male, 35% are female. Women's sports offered are bowling, lacrosse, track & field, archery, rowing, and softball. Women at your school want basketball, volleyball and soccer. You fail.
Using Compliance Test 3: *You have 60% men, 40% women at AnyUniversity. 65% of your athletes are male, 35% are female. You fully fund your men's teams with scholarships and coaches, allowing them to be competitive within your conference. In contrast, your women's teams suffer from a lack of scholarships, poor and limited coaching, and inadequate practice time. Because of this, your women's teams are the perennial doormats of your conference. You fail because you are not providing full and effective accommodation of the ability of the women at your school.

Let's use 2006gwfcchamps' arguement: "It's okay not to give women athletic scholarships as long as we give them a chance to play.

That's not my argument.

My argument was that participation numbers are all that matter but there is no way you can get participation without scholarships.

NDSU could drop to DIII and not award a single scholarship. But we'd still have to maintain compliance via participation numbers. Therefore, it always comes down to participation.
No it does not. Especially since NDSU is currently using option #3. NDSU has been using its historic success in women's basketball and volleyball to justify the fact that its scholarship ratio is out of whack. Under option #3, if NDSU is very successful in 4 men's sports, it had better damn well be successful in 3 or 4 women's sports as well. Title IX is about more than participation; it's about institutional support(read: money/coaches/time) and relative success between the genders as well. It's about true equality, not lip service.

The only way we're going to get women to participate in our programs is to offer them scholarships.
No, the only way to have successful women's programs is to offer scholarships(except DIII, of course). There's a difference, and it's not a small one.

Do you really think a judge and jury, not to mention the DOJ, would buy that?
I have no idea.

But I'm sure I could think up a defense that would at least have a chance to work.
Show me your law degree and maybe I'll believe you. I've had my head in this subject for more than a little while, and I realize I've barely scratched the surface with what I've learned. BTW, education is my profession and educational systems and structures are among my hobbies and specialties. How about you?

Now how about we get back on topic with hockey arenas and how we hate them and all they stand for.

2006gwfcchamps
01-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Very good post Hammer, as usual.

Using Compliance Test 3: You have 60% men, 40% women at AnyUniversity. 65% of your athletes are male, 35% are female. You fully fund your men's teams with scholarships and coaches, allowing them to be competitive within your conference. In contrast, your women's teams suffer from a lack of scholarships, poor and limited coaching, and inadequate practice time. Because of this, your women's teams are the perennial doormats of your conference. You fail because you are not providing full and effective accommodation of the ability of the women at your school.

So here's where the subjectivity comes in.

Of course, title IX itself is completely subjective and will always come down to the judgment of a human.

What if your women's teams are fully funded yet they are still doormats. Is that compliant?

What if your women's teams are not fully funded but they still succeed. Is that compliant?

Those are just 2 general scenarios off the top of my head that put the subjective twist on this criteria.

Overall, though, I can already see how you're right and I'm wrong if these types of scenarios would go before a title IX judge. Fully funded teams usually do much better than non fully funded teams and that would probably be the judgment.

However, my other scenario still stands.

Take a school with 50% male enrollment and 50% female enrollment that is subject to title IX because some of it's students receive money from FAFSA. The school awards 2 scholarships for athletics. 1 for men, 1 for women. The school has 30 men's sports and 2 women's sports.

But under criteria one, they're complaint since 1/1 = 50/50.

lakesbison
03-18-2007, 09:30 PM
another reason we need a NDSU hockey team:!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EuepVP-NBrs

what a great game, Ill be at St louis with the gophers!!!

NDSUFREAK10
03-18-2007, 11:17 PM
another reason we need a NDSU hockey team:!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EuepVP-NBrs

what a great game, Ill be at St louis with the gophers!!!

Oh, do you want hockey????????????????

no.

lakesbison
03-18-2007, 11:41 PM
we'll get it.. in TIME.. ACE BRANDT will pay for the arena.

only 4 SUITES left to be sold.

it's a done deal.

sambini
03-19-2007, 06:48 AM
For the USHL.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-20-2007, 12:21 AM
It is not a done deal....far from it..Take my word

TheDoctor
03-20-2007, 03:16 AM
Lakes,

Get over it buddy! WE WILL NEVER have hockey at NDSU. It's a waste of money. Is their even a college hockey tab on espn.com? I know they don't cover it on SportsCenter!

Bison101
03-20-2007, 05:11 PM
I started this thread and between the time I started it and now, I have come off the Hockey bandwagon. I really enjoy watching college hockey but...I really feel like NDSU might be on to something special with Miles and gang. Just think about it. One win in the NCAA tournament by are mens team is worth 10 Hockey national championships exposure wise. When we make the tourney, this state is going to go Bracket crazy. We really need to allocate every penny we can right now to getting the new arena done and giving miles the $ he needs to stick around. Basketball is the key to our future at NDSU. With a solid basketball program we could get into the MVC for all sports and then not need to worry about any conferences changes for 100 years. Once we are in the MVC, I may crank up the Hockey bandwagon again. Until then, as a loyal NDSU fan, I must cheer for the Golden Goofers.

IowaBisonToo
03-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Looking at it from my point of view - I'm no expert but I'm also not hockey illiterate - there is only one way to make hockey doable in Fargo. That would be to sink between $50 and $75 million into it. This would include the arena as well as the athletic budget. Then it's still no guarantee it would thrive. Couple of things to take into consideration.

#1 Comparison - Bemidji State - they've had hockey for quite a few years but if you put them into the WCHA or CCHA for example, they would be so-so at best more years than not. Somewhat of a bad example because of the size of town Bemidji is. Having a DI hockey program doesn't mean success. Would NDSU become a comparable program?

#2 Comparison - U Nebraska, Omaha - they are a fairly new program that is in all reality still getting their feet wet. They are somewhat a hockey town with the success the USHL team has had in the past plus, their arena, the Qwest Center, is a very nice place. Can't find how much it cost but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. Also, they are still DII in everything else so they can afford to drop more money into their hockey programs. There also isn't another DI program for quite a ways. I'd say the closest program would be Mankato.

#3 With all the money Team Makers is soliciting to further advance football and basketball, do you really think they would be able to generate enough money to make hockey work? My guess is not.

#4 What makes people so sure that Fargo could support a college hockey program when in the past they haven't been able to support a USHL team or two plus how ever other many junior-type of teams? I'm still not convinced that the new USHL team in Fargo is going to be around more than 10 years.

As much as it pains some people that NDSU doesn't have hockey, I don't think that is a sport NDSU should add. There are at least 7, D-I programs within a 6 hour drive. If you want to watch hockey, pick a team you may have some ties to and follow them. Who says your favorite school has to have every sport? Who says you can't root for another local team (whether that be the Firetrucks, Bemidji St, St Cloud State or Minnesota). Maybe NDSU should have field hockey and swimming and gymnastics and lacrosse and bowling and rodeo and . . .!

RodentiaX1
03-20-2007, 08:53 PM
I think that Bemidji State could be competitive in the WCHA, but there would be some lumps taken in the process. I'd be thrilled if Bemidji State got into the WCHA, I'd be able to see some of their games. Hockey has been king at BSU for decades, and the move to D-I hockey has gone pretty well. Still, it would be hard to be as competitive as is the top of the WCHA.

If NDSU were to add hockey, they would, in all likelyhood, join Bemidji State in the CHA, the Sun Belt of hockey.

sambini
03-20-2007, 08:58 PM
I started this thread and between the time I started it and now, I have come off the Hockey bandwagon. I really enjoy watching college hockey but...I really feel like NDSU might be on to something special with Miles and gang. Just think about it. One win in the NCAA tournament by are mens team is worth 10 Hockey national championships exposure wise. When we make the tourney, this state is going to go Bracket crazy. We really need to allocate every penny we can right now to getting the new arena done and giving miles the $ he needs to stick around. Basketball is the key to our future at NDSU. With a solid basketball program we could get into the MVC for all sports and then not need to worry about any conferences changes for 100 years. Once we are in the MVC, I may crank up the Hockey bandwagon again. Until then, as a loyal NDSU fan, I must cheer for the Golden Goofers.
++++++++++++++++

Mr._Bill
03-21-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm sure the sioux would support ndsu into the wcha about as much as I would support the sioux getting into the mid-con or gateway! (not so much) It could be a real struggle building a team from a low level college hockey league.

However, the best name to put behind hockey in Fargo is NDSU. NDSU hockey could be more successful in the long run than any other league.

IowaBisonToo
03-21-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm sure the sioux would support ndsu into the wcha about as much as I would support the sioux getting into the mid-con or gateway! * (not so much) *It could be a real struggle building a team from a low level college hockey league.

However, the best name to put behind hockey in Fargo is NDSU. *NDSU hockey could be more successful in the long run than any other league.
I agree. Without the support of a conference like the WCHA, it would be hard to make a go of college hockey. It has been known for some time that they do not want to expand and are happy with the schools they have. It would take an act of congress (or the NCAA) to force conference realignment. If the NCAA were to force a Mountain/Western conference, there are only 5 teams (I believe) that are located West of a line drawn from Grand Forks through Omaha. Imagine the travel costs if NDSU started hockey and ended up in the CHA - a current 5 team league. Hard to create rivalries and interest when you have conference teams spread throughout the US like that. This money is best spent for basketball and football and bringing the minor sports up to consistent respectability.

IowaBison
03-21-2007, 03:48 PM
i don't think that NDSU has to win a game in the NCAA tournament, just make it, to trump the publicity of a hockey championship trophy.

how many looked for hours at their brackets a week ago? a hell ova lot more than know the first thing about hockey at any level.

you can't buy that kind of advertising at a national level.

extremerouge
04-01-2007, 12:31 AM
I am a huge hockey fan (Go Gophers!), but I definately don't want a hockey team at NDSU. I think the reason most NDSU fans don't want a hockey team is because NDSU would not be able to compete with UND. UND has more tradition and an absolutely fabulous arena. NDSU would not fair well against UND, so I would rather just be better than them in every other sport.

sambini
04-01-2007, 01:57 AM
++++++++++++

eighty-duce
04-02-2007, 05:36 AM
First post here but this is a no brainer in the future. Hockey at NDSU only hurts UND hockey. I have a hard time believing that it would effect NDSU's basketball or football. Do you see a lot of puck fans at hoops games? I don't ever see them. I should know I am one. Im a Bison fan who spends more of his $$$ at Englestad than at NDSU events. NDSU football and basketball tickets are cheap, dirt cheap in comparison really. And I'm a huge hockey fan so there goes my $$$. I don't neccessarily like it but I love the sport.

If people think women's hockey is dead weight at UND, it's irrelevent. They get over 11,000 a game average with the cheapest tickets at $30. They have forty suites that sell for 30,000-50,000 a year and they play 20 home games a year. Folks that adds up to a mountain of $$$. Thats why there hockey coach makes more than $300,000 base and is due for a substantial raise this year. And yes SU could cover costs like this with the new UP ARENA.

Here something you guys aren't thinking about though. People that are putting money into that USHL team and building may not want to see SU go after a hockey team. They have financial reasons not to. I have a friend in on those deals and I've asked and I don't think they give two turds. They have kept NDSU and key city officials informed on the whole process as it has happened because thats how you do those things now a days. So its not like NDSU doesn't know what competition is coming to town.

35 suites sold out of 40 for a fricken JUNIOR A TEAM. 18 months before they drop the puck. Ummm! In ten years you might want to control this beast instead of competing with it.

WYOBISONMAN
04-04-2007, 02:04 PM
First post here but this is a no brainer in the future. * Hockey at NDSU only hurts UND hockey. *I have a hard time believing that it would effect NDSU's basketball or football. * Do you see a lot of puck fans at hoops games? I don't ever see them. * I should know I am one. * *Im a Bison fan who spends more of his $$$ at Englestad than at NDSU events. *NDSU football *and basketball tickets are cheap, dirt cheap in comparison really. * And I'm a huge hockey fan so there goes my $$$. * I don't neccessarily like it but I love the sport.

If people think women's hockey is dead weight at UND, it's irrelevent. * They get over 11,000 a game average with the cheapest tickets at $30. * They have forty suites that sell for 30,000-50,000 a year and they play 20 home games a year. *Folks that adds up to a mountain of $$$. * Thats why there hockey coach makes more than $300,000 base and is due for a substantial raise this year. *And yes SU could cover costs like this with the new UP ARENA.

Here something you guys aren't thinking about though. *People that are putting money into that USHL team and building may not want to see SU go after a hockey team. * They have financial reasons not to. *I have a friend in on those deals and I've asked and I don't think they give two turds. *They have kept NDSU and key city officials *informed on the whole process as it has happened because thats how you do those things now a days. *So its not like NDSU doesn't know what competition is coming to town. *

35 suites sold out of 40 for a fricken JUNIOR A TEAM. * 18 months before they drop the puck. *Ummm! *In ten years you might want to control this beast instead of competing with it.

We got a lot of other priorities to deal with at NDSU. We don't need the distraction of hockey right now.

sambini
04-04-2007, 06:31 PM
First post here but this is a no brainer in the future. * Hockey at NDSU only hurts UND hockey. *I have a hard time believing that it would effect NDSU's basketball or football. * Do you see a lot of puck fans at hoops games? I don't ever see them. * I should know I am one. * *Im a Bison fan who spends more of his $$$ at Englestad than at NDSU events. *NDSU football *and basketball tickets are cheap, dirt cheap in comparison really. * And I'm a huge hockey fan so there goes my $$$. * I don't neccessarily like it but I love the sport.

If people think women's hockey is dead weight at UND, it's irrelevent. * They get over 11,000 a game average with the cheapest tickets at $30. * They have forty suites that sell for 30,000-50,000 a year and they play 20 home games a year. *Folks that adds up to a mountain of $$$. * Thats why there hockey coach makes more than $300,000 base and is due for a substantial raise this year. *And yes SU could cover costs like this with the new UP ARENA.

Here something you guys aren't thinking about though. *People that are putting money into that USHL team and building may not want to see SU go after a hockey team. * They have financial reasons not to. *I have a friend in on those deals and I've asked and I don't think they give two turds. *They have kept NDSU and key city officials *informed on the whole process as it has happened because thats how you do those things now a days. *So its not like NDSU doesn't know what competition is coming to town. *

35 suites sold out of 40 for a fricken JUNIOR A TEAM. * 18 months before they drop the puck. *Ummm! *In ten years you might want to control this beast instead of competing with it.

We got a lot of other priorities to deal with at NDSU. *We don't need the distraction of hockey right now.

+++++++++++++++++++++

99Bison
04-04-2007, 09:22 PM
First post here but this is a no brainer in the future. Hockey at NDSU only hurts UND hockey. I have a hard time believing that it would effect NDSU's basketball or football. Do you see a lot of puck fans at hoops games? I don't ever see them. I should know I am one. Im a Bison fan who spends more of his $$$ at Englestad than at NDSU events. NDSU football and basketball tickets are cheap, dirt cheap in comparison really. And I'm a huge hockey fan so there goes my $$$. I don't neccessarily like it but I love the sport.

If people think women's hockey is dead weight at UND, it's irrelevent. They get over 11,000 a game average with the cheapest tickets at $30. They have forty suites that sell for 30,000-50,000 a year and they play 20 home games a year. Folks that adds up to a mountain of $$$. Thats why there hockey coach makes more than $300,000 base and is due for a substantial raise this year. And yes SU could cover costs like this with the new UP ARENA.

Here something you guys aren't thinking about though. People that are putting money into that USHL team and building may not want to see SU go after a hockey team. They have financial reasons not to. I have a friend in on those deals and I've asked and I don't think they give two turds. They have kept NDSU and key city officials informed on the whole process as it has happened because thats how you do those things now a days. So its not like NDSU doesn't know what competition is coming to town.

35 suites sold out of 40 for a fricken JUNIOR A TEAM. 18 months before they drop the puck. Ummm! In ten years you might want to control this beast instead of competing with it.

Agreed, in 10 years take a look... By then the decision will probably be obvious.

kchats
04-05-2007, 03:58 AM
It'll still be the same no hockey at NDSU.

eighty-duce
04-05-2007, 04:47 PM
It'll still be the same no hockey at NDSU.

Possibly very true. The pressures to be will only be larger however. You really won't have a legimate stadium issue. I was told by very reliable sources UP Arena will be expandable. Fan support? That will answer itself. If it hasn't already. Heck, when I look at the kids walking around campus, in and out of my classes half the sports clothing is hockey sweaters, jerseys and hats.

This will be very interesting because of the rate that Junior and minor league hockey is morphing in this country. I really love hockey but I don't want to see the ECHL or AHL Wild affiliate team here competing for marketing with NDSU. Any Junior A team that draws well at the gate has a hard time keeping the bigger $$$ franchises out of their markets. Thats the track record, especially in the midwest.

You also have to remember the NCAA in hockey allows non D-1 schools to have D-1 hockey. Concordia or MSUM would listen or look at it because frankly they would be allowed to. Not sure they'd do it but I wouldn't doubt they study it.

Again this probably isn't a real issue for the next 5-10 years, but it'll likely be a much bigger issue.

bisoneer
10-05-2007, 04:11 AM
Bad idea, if Winnipeg cant fund an NHL team with their 1 Million plus population why would Fargo want to even try support D1 hockey when everyone and their mother in law is putting one up? Bemidji, Omaha, Mankato & etc. The Goph's are close and you can watch em on TV, good enough, pump the money into football and basketball!!!!!!!!!!

bisoneer
10-05-2007, 04:14 AM
Agreed, in 10 years take a look... By then the decision will probably be obvious.

Yea thats 35 suites sold out this year, what about next year if they bomb out, 20? and the year after that 10? and then chapter 11 and by by!!!! Kick boxing is way more exciting.