PDA

View Full Version : D1 Decison Tomorrow

Bisonguy
07-16-2002, 04:44 AM
970 WDAY-AM will be covering NDSU's press conference on whether or not to go D1 @ 1:00 pm CST Tuesday July 16th. The wait will be over! ;D

tony
07-16-2002, 06:24 PM
I wish.

NDSU doesn't rush anything, that's for sure. They changed the logo a tiny little bit and that took six months. Hiring an AD took forever and a lot of people were involved in the process. I suppose I should be glad they're cautious.

purplemavfan
07-17-2002, 02:23 PM
I heard a portion of the press conference; and thought I heard there was a possibility of a conference that would take the Bison virtually immediately; i.e., as early as next season. No mention of who that was. I have heard nothing more from SDSU and SD concerning division I; so it does not appear at this time that anyone else but the Bison and UNC are likely going to make the move from the NCC, unless they are keeping their agenda well hidden. Purple Mav Fan

07-17-2002, 10:28 PM
I would sure like to know which conference that is! My guess is the Gateway but its football only. I dont know what the other sports would do?

Talk on another board has Winona showing interest, at least from one fan, in joining the NCC if NDSU leaves. They could do that anyway with UNC and Morningside gone. Both UMD and Winona would be good additions.

Trainer
07-18-2002, 03:18 PM
JBB,
I think you hit it right on the nose. From what our sources tell us, the Gateway Conference is very interested in NDSU joining and an agreement could be in the works. I haven't mentioned anything on Bison Insider, because I'm not totally 100% sure. If this is the case, I'm betting that NDSU is trying to preserve football revenues. If not a post season playoff appearance, maybe a conference championship. Gives the fans and players a goal and keeps butts in the seats. It also reduces a nightmare of trying to get 6 division I-AA teams into the Fargodome. This way four or five dates are filled. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think filling a basketball schedule will be easier than filling the football schedule. Especially getting home games. Just comes down to the fact that revenue production is the greatest via football and they have to support a big portion of the non-revenue generating sports.
I also think Winona and UMD would be good additions to the NCC. Who else? Or is the NCC about ready to fold with the loss of NDSU, UNC, Morningside and possibly SDSU? Will UND and USD also go Division I? Then what?
I would think that with the reduction of teams in the NCC to seven with the loss of UNC and NDSU only one teams will be added. I'm betting it's UMD. But I could be full of ####!
Later, JD

07-19-2002, 12:26 AM
I think the Gateway improves Fab Fargo Dome crowds. Football is where its at for NDSU and the Gateway is a nice place for us to be. I really dont think any other NCC schools are on our heels. We are going it alone. Good ridence to the sue soxers. Im sure we will give them a home/home in football, if we are not the only D1AA team in the country they refuse to play. If we are to hell with them. I would much rather be on the road in MNPLS against the Gophers. We ar 0-4 in that series.

If NDSU joins the Gateway what do you think the chances of it becoming a full conference in all sports is?

Fill me in on how you think we can fill the BB schedule. I think if we can be competitive and find the opponents the BB teams will really rake in the money, but its true. NDSU is football.

What do you think of the hockey future?

Trainer
07-19-2002, 10:51 PM
From what I know, most of the colleges (not all) associated with the Gateway Football Conference have their other Men's and Women's sports in the Missouri Valley Conference. It would be major victory for the NDSU AD if they could join the MVC in their other sports, but I haven't heard anything.

As for filling the basketball schedule, it's sorry to say but big schools are going to put the NDSU basketball programs in their cream puff schedule (especially the men's team). It will be huge if they can get some Big 10 or Big 12 teams to play in the BSA. But I figure we will be going on the road for now to play the bigger teams. But they will be able to help some lesser D-I teams fill their schedule. Also remember they will not be eligible for the playoffs in BB for a great number of years. What is it 8? So they can always will their schedule with Div II and III teams, but that will suck.

Hockey. Hockey, in my opinion, is on hold for the near future until they see how things shake out with this move to Division I. Hockey could be a real nice revenue booster, given some place to play. I, for one, would love to kick the #### out of UND in hockey. So I'll just have to be satisfied with doing it in the rest of the sports for now. Do you think that will get a response from Sioux fans?
Later, JD

07-19-2002, 11:32 PM
It will be fun to play in Mnpls. I wouldnt be suprised to see the Gophers on the football schedule either. We are 0=4 against them. I imagine und will be on the schedule for all sports as well. Its starting to look to me that Miles is attracting some talent. Buckets might be looking up?

Has anybody heard anymore on the Dome authorities plan to build an arena? I heard they had a plan for a mid sized (8000 or so) arena that would have an ice sheet. They could build it without a vote if NDSU would sign on as a major tennant.

Imagine a future with NDSU D1 in all sports including hockey, beating the D1 sue suck hockey team and beating up on their other D2 teams in the other sports! ;)

Bisonguy
08-30-2002, 11:47 PM
Okay,

Now it's a done deal. Any speculation on other teams from the NCC moving up, seeing as how NDSU is giving them an extra year to think about it? SDSU is obviously pondering, anyone else?

purplemavfan
08-31-2002, 03:30 PM
I heard that NDSU is officially going to d-1, and are playing Montana next year, I think. A good move for the school and for the entire upper midwest to have another division I program; possibly more if SDSU decides to move up also.

WYOBISON
09-02-2002, 12:12 AM
I think that it would be a huge mistake for the Bison to join the Gateway Conf. I think they should push hard to get into the Big Sky. The big Sky is a more prestegious conference than the Gateway.

A rivalry with the Montana schools is needed and membership in the Big Sky conference would make that so much more intense. North Dakota and North Dakotans have always had a rivalry with the State of Montana and a membership in the Big Sky would develop some key rivalries between NDSU and U of M and MSU......something NDSU will need in D1.

PUSH HARD FOR BIG SKY MEMBERSHIP!!

09-02-2002, 04:34 PM
Hey WyoBison,

The Big Sky as been very cool to membership and has even said its not in the cards, but they would provide scheduling support and other help. all the west coast schools are probably reluctant to travel to Fargo. Another problem with the Big Sky is the fact that NDSU traditionally recruits to the east. The rivalry with the Montana schools is old and deep true, but it just may not be in the cards.

It has been speculated that Wyoming may move football down to D1AA and might be a possible member in an all new conferece? Any chance of that?

tony
09-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Oh, the Big Sky is still a possibility, despite what people have said. SDSU and NDSU are better fits for the Sky than Portland and Sacramento.

BisonInTexas
09-05-2002, 03:34 AM
Oh, the Big Sky is still a possibility, despite what people have said. SDSU and NDSU are better fits for the Sky than Portland and Sacramento.

I agree. What I think the Big Sky wants is another school besides NDSU to make those BB trips east more cost-effective. I suppose SDSU would fit that bill, should they decide to move up. Of course UND could be that school, but they are too much in Engelstad's pocket to dare threaten the hockey budget with a move up.

Bisonguy
09-05-2002, 10:43 PM
I think another factor with the Big Sky is the fact that they're sitting at an even number of schools. Some of the other conferences are sitting at an odd number of schools, and might be more likely to accept a single school to even out the numbers.