PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Talk!

Bisonguy
09-24-2002, 11:53 PM
WDAY is conducting an interview with the Big Sky commish and Terry Wanless on Sept. 25th on the 6 and 10 o'clock news. There were hints dropped that the talks have gotten pretty deep between the Big Sky and NDSU. ;D Here's the link: WDAY NEWS (http://www.in-forum.com) if anyone is not fortunate enough to live in the Fargo area. ;)

tony
09-26-2002, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the info - I just watched it on the Forum website and to sum up:

-Terry Wanless said that it's a no-brainer that NDSU should move up.

-Big Sky is going to have a meeting in October and NDSU will make a formal proposal for joining at that time.

BisonInTexas
09-26-2002, 03:58 AM
I decided to refresh myself on the journalistic masterpiece that Virg Foss wrote a couple of weeks ago on his favorite team's chances in D1. I could have sworn that he quoted Wanless in there as saying NDSU would have to prove themselves and that the Big Sky was not looking for new members. In fact, I even referenced Wanless in my response to the article in the "What is the best conference" thread. Nobody pointed out at the time that I was imagining things.

I can't find that quote in the article online anymore - did I just imagine it or does anyone else remember it like I do? Has the article been edited to remove the Wanless quote since it was first posted?

Hmmm.

Craig

P.S. Here is a link to Foss's article:
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/sports/4077975.htm

Bisonguy
09-26-2002, 04:40 AM
I remember that quote in there, maybe "selective editing" removed it. Maybe Virg made a few "embellishments" to make the story more attractive to the Grand Forks masses.

tony
09-26-2002, 05:37 AM
No after-the-fact editing. They ran two articles on consecutive Sundays. Wanless was quoted in the first one. It's pretty obvious, having seen the WDAY interview, that the Herald only printed those comments from Wanless that suited their editorial bias (UND fans are more loyal, UND could go DI much easier than NDSU, NDSU is bad, UND is good).

The Grand Forks Herald's motto - "We're not a newspaper, we're a UND press release disguised as crappy journalism."

09-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Wanless sounded 100% in favor and I also believe NDSU has a conference spot locked up. s obvious that und is trying hard to continue with the flow of misinformation. The interview with Wanless was nothing like the picture the herald painted. In fact they were the opposite.

Why is it so important to our friends in Grand Forks that NDSU not move? They have been on a mission of lies, misinformation and coordinated media blitz against this ever since NDSU announced the study.

With the news this morning that USD is not going to make the move the new NCC is begining to shape up. Its looking like the SUs go and the universities stay, at least for now. In my opinion thats the best thing that could happen. That will give each school enough local recruiting area to be competitive.

BisonInTexas
09-26-2002, 02:37 PM
No after-the-fact editing. They ran two articles on consecutive Sundays. Wanless was quoted in the first one. It's pretty obvious, having seen the WDAY interview, that the Herald only printed those comments from Wanless that suited their editorial bias (UND fans are more loyal, UND could go DI much easier than NDSU, NDSU is bad, UND is good).

The Grand Forks Herald's motto - "We're not a newspaper, we're a UND press release disguised as crappy journalism."

Do you have a link to the article in which Wanless is quoted? I only remember one article (other than last week's article which interviewed Bison coaches and concluded "Bison winning days over").

Craig

NDSU_grad
09-26-2002, 03:03 PM
I think the news about the Big Sky is great. I do have a concern (real concerns, not the kind of "concerns" that UND people have). I've stated this before, but I'm wondering what is going to happen to the wrestling, baseball, and softball programs. I'm pretty sure the Big Sky doesn't sponsor these sports (I'm too lazy to look it up). Could we fill out a schedule playing independents?

jimdahl
09-26-2002, 04:41 PM
Do you have a link to the article in which Wanless is quoted? I only remember one article (other than last week's article which interviewed Bison coaches and concluded "Bison winning days over").

The only three that I've seen are:
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/4013676.htm
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/4077975.htm
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/2002/09/22/sports/4126223.htm

I honestly don't remember any mention of Wanless, but I could have missed that article. These are the three that have run one each weekend. People in Grand Forks aren't too fond of Wanless, generally, so it would be bad editorial policy to try to his his words to convince them of something :)

tony
09-26-2002, 06:55 PM
Wanless was quoted - just not in the articles you guys linked to. It was the Sept 8 edition in a story by Kevin Fee and it was titled "EX-AD SAYS UND COULD GO D-I." I could get the text for it but don't want to pay $3 - it's been moved to their paid archives.

As for the Big Sky, they are not going to give NDSU an invitation this year. This step is just a formal introduction. If they do get an invitation in the future, baseball and softball shouldn't have much trouble scheduling because they play a good chunk of their games way down south or at tournaments already.

Wrestling will be an easier transition because UND and USD don't have wrestling anyway and and UNC is leaving besides. Even if SDSU stays in DII, NDSU only has to make up five duals. They'll have no trouble doing it with all the Big 10, Big 12, and Mid-Continent teams around.

--------

The Grand Cities Herald - It's the intersection of crap and hot air.*

*For those of you who aren't familar, I've messed with the Grand Cities motto found here (http://www.grandcities.net/grandcities.htm). My favorite line is, "There's always more on our horizon." BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "Yeah, so keep on driving until you get there." BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

BisonInTexas
09-26-2002, 07:55 PM
Wanless was quoted - just not in the articles you guys linked to. It was the Sept 8 edition in a story by Kevin Fee and it was titled "EX-AD SAYS UND COULD GO D-I." I could get the text for it but don't want to pay $3 - it's been moved to their paid archives.

As for the Big Sky, they are not going to give NDSU an invitation this year. This step is just a formal introduction. If they do get an invitation in the future, baseball and softball shouldn't have much trouble scheduling because they play a good chunk of their games way down south or at tournaments already.

Wrestling will be an easier transition because UND and USD don't have wrestling anyway and and UNC is leaving besides. Even if SDSU stays in DII, *NDSU only has to make up five duals. They'll have no trouble doing it with all the Big 10, Big 12, and Mid-Continent teams around.

--------

The Grand Cities Herald - It's the intersection of crap and hot air.*

*For those of you who aren't familar, I've messed with the Grand Cities motto found here (http://www.grandcities.net/grandcities.htm). My favorite line is, "There's always more on *our horizon." BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "Yeah, so keep on driving until you get there." BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I hadn't read that article. I am sure that Wanless was quoted in the Foss article where he states that the Big Sky is not looking for members. I wouldn't have mentioned Wanless at all in my posting to Star2City otherwise. That quote has been removed, I am 99% positive.

Craig

BisonInTexas
09-26-2002, 08:29 PM
More evidence that the Wanless quote was in Foss's article - from Tony himself!

Tony, here is what you wrote in response to the link from Star2City in the "Which conference would be best" thread:

Why do you think the Herald is running these stories? It seems like they are trying to mold public opinion with some transparently slanted journalism, but to what end? I have a feeling you know what they're trying to do.

NDSU has two full years to find a conference. The Gateway, according to their commissioner, would like to add a ninth team so that each school gets four home games and four away games. The Herald didn't mention this.

As for the Big Sky, in the Herald's research they neglected to mention that Wanless has only been on the job for a couple weeks and cannot possibly be speaking for the Big Sky. Not only that, there is a pretty good chance that Sacramento State will be joining the Big West.

You are referring to a quote that no longer exists in the story. Someone told Foss to remove it (either the Big Sky commissioner or Wanless himself, I speculate).

Curiouser and curiouser.

Craig

09-26-2002, 09:10 PM
Hi guys.

I'm a Montana State fan/grad and have been lurking here for a while.

I'm very glad NDSU has finally decided to make the jump to D1/1AA. I only wish it was about 20 years ago (I wish UND would do the same).

I would think is SDSU decides to move up with you the addition of the Bison and Jackrabbits to the Big Sky becomes viable. A travel partner makes things more efficient for the volleyball teams and basketball teams to travel to the mid-west. I personally hope the Big Sky grabs you guys. I think the league needs a few more state "flagship" schools. I'm sure it also doesn't hurt that NDSU is a u of montana and Montana State peer institution.

Not that the move up will be entirely good for MSU. In the past we've relied heavily on Minnesota players-especially on our offensive line (they raise 'em big out there I guess). I suppose we will have a tougher time convincing some of those kids to come so far west when they have a top notch 1-AA program in their back yard. We'll see how it works out.

Good luck to the Bison on the rest of the season and enjoy the ride.

BisonInTexas
09-26-2002, 09:30 PM
Hey BelgradeBobCat,

Thanks for the kind words. I think most are hoping that the Big Sky will be receptive to NDSU, but as you stated, we need a travel partner. SDSU could be that, but I too wish that UND would move up to preserve our rivalry with them. It would be great to rekindle the Montana State-NDSU rivalry. Be sure to inform us of any Bozeman reaction to the formal application that NDSU will be presenting later this fall.

As an aside, I know the Belgrade area a little bit. I lived in Manhattan when I was very little (early 70s) for a couple of years and we used to visit Bozeman and Manhattan at least once a year to see old friends after we moved to ND. It is a beautiful area.

Craig

tony
09-26-2002, 10:48 PM
Belgrade, on the other hand, if Montana State comes to NDSU or SDSU, Minnesota parents would get to see their kids play. In that respect, I think it'd make recruiting easier.
-----
Couldn't find the Kevin Fee article about Terry Wanless on my hard drive so I bought it. In this article Wanless is quoted as saying, "I think it will be a difficult road for them [NDSU] to get admitted into the Big Sky. They just didn't fit the footprint for the Big Sky, in terms of location." I think this is a fair point and one that NDSU is going to have to do quite a sales pitch to get around. For now, this is all moot. SDSU hasn't decided yet and there might be things going on in Idaho or Utah or someplace that will have bearing on this decision.

NDSU and SDSU as a team would represent the only DI schools in their respective states. Schools like the ones in Sacramento, Portland, and Omaha don't even carry the banner for their cities - they're more of an afterthought to be indulged when the state's biggest schools aren't playing and ignored when they are doing badly.

09-26-2002, 11:39 PM
Texas: You'll be happy to know that Manhattan is pretty much still the same quiet little berg it was back in the 70's-for some reason they've been able to avoid the rapid growth that's effecting much of the rest of the Gallatin Valley, including Belgrade.

Tony: Great point, I had not thought of that. It's amazing how many of the Minnesota parents drive out here for every Bobcat home game-some from as far as the Twin Cities area. Although I suppose I would too if it were my kid.

09-27-2002, 01:01 AM
as you guys know, Wanless is our new athletic director. I noticed a post said that he is not well thought of. Why? what can we expect from him? my biggest concern is that he would oversee sac state leaving the Sky for the Big West. If so, football would left to twist in the wind. Would this be his MO? Is he a football guy?

09-27-2002, 04:12 AM
I also wouldn't mind seeing NDSU in the Big Sky. It might make travel a little harder for Sac, PSU, and NAU, but the addition of SDSU as a travel partner would help.

A couple of Big Sky boards are at:

www.snappaps.com/SnapChat

and

www.tomatopages.com/bigskyfans

09-27-2002, 04:14 AM
Sorry... the correct address for the Big Sky Chat Room is:

www.snapapps.com/snapchat

tony
09-27-2002, 05:43 AM
as you guys know, Wanless is our new athletic director. *I noticed a post said that he is not well thought of. *Why? *what can we expect from him? *my biggest concern is that he would oversee sac state leaving the Sky for the Big West. *If so, football would left to twist in the wind. *Would this be his MO? *Is he a football guy?

He's a football guy, don't worry about that. If Sacramento State joining the Big West would hurt your football program, I doubt he'd push for it.

----

Thanks for the links, SLCBengal. I'd hate to start bothering you Big Sky guys yet though.

NDSU_grad
09-27-2002, 03:48 PM
Tony,
Great point about the wrestling program. Pretty much every wrestling program in D1 has an independent schedule because of the lack of competition. I'm going to school at Iowa State now and one of my classmates said there's only five wrestling programs in the Big 12. By the way, it's nice to see the interest from some Big Sky folks on this board.