PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship Question

Bisonguy
10-18-2002, 03:29 AM
Will NDSU be allowed to field the full 63 scholarships in the 2004 season? If so, would it make sense to do so?
Would it make more sense to slowly bring them up over a couple years to the full amount? I just see a problem with giving away 27 extra scholarships to one recruiting class, unless they would recruit a lot of soph. and junior transfers. Otherwise, NDSU would only have the scholarships from the seniors(at the 36 scholarship rate) that are leaving for the 2005, 2006, and 2007 class. Does this make sense?

BisonInTexas
10-18-2002, 01:20 PM
I think they are allowed, but it is my understanding that they will build up to the full 63 scholarships over time, mainly due to Title IX requirements for equitable women's scholarships. *I read this somewhere, although I can't remember where right now.

If they were to fund the full 63 scholarships in 2004, I doubt they would give 27 scholarships to one class. Instead, they would put more upperclassmen under scholarship (convert a partial to a full, or give a non-scholarship player a partial, etc.).

Craig

The_Sicatoka
10-18-2002, 02:42 PM
If they find a conference, they must also abide by conference scholarship rules.

Some conferences specify a lower-than-NCAA-allowed limit. (NSIC is D-II, so 36, but limits to some really low number, like 18.)

10-18-2002, 05:30 PM
S, why do you care?

tony
10-18-2002, 08:11 PM
As far as I know, DI-AA conferences are either all or nothing on the issue of scholarships. Many schools don't offer the full 63 but it's not because their conference won't let them.

Bisonguy
10-18-2002, 08:26 PM
I see. I didn't put the scenario of bumping up existing scholarships. ;D

The_Sicatoka
10-18-2002, 08:51 PM
Why do I care? I'm an NCAA rules geek. Want to learn about requirements for applying for a medical redshirt? Recruiting visits? Signing periods and black-out dates? ;)

Did I answer the question incorrectly or with any sort of malace? So what's the problem?