PDA

View Full Version : SDSU Message Board

10-21-2002, 06:05 AM
Does SDSU have a message board where Division I-AA is being discussed? What's their timetable for making a decision? What are the differences between SDSU, USD and NDSU?

tony
10-21-2002, 04:01 PM
The major difference between NDSU and the South Dakota schools is that USD and SDSU don't have message boards for them to talk about sports on :)

At first I heard that SDSU was going to announce a decision by the end of the calendar year but there isn't any reason to rush because SDSU doesn't have to inform the NCC until next September. Based on NDSU's experience, very few SDSU people will support the move until they know that there is enough total support to make the move a success. Even then people need time to mull it over because they don't want to harm an institution that they truly care about.

SDSU is similar in size and academic mission to NDSU but is in a smaller community. Their facilities are very good except the football field (although it does seat 16,000). USD is a bit smaller and has an academic program more similar to UND's and is in the smallest community in the NCC.

Probability that SDSU will go DI: 90%
Probability that USD will go DI: 0%

Trainer
10-21-2002, 05:09 PM
As you may know Tony, I live only 40 miles from Brookings and, personally, I can't imagine SDSU going Division I. From everything I've seen, everybody believes that they will go Division I. I just don't see the fan base or monetary support. If the money is there, they will go division I, but I'm not convinced that they will be able to find it. Also one other thing, if you think the state of ND is tight with money, you haven't lived in SD. Just take one look at the building located on both the USD and SDSU campus, they are old. Not much new. SDSU a little newer than USD. I believe it when I see it. JD

tony
10-21-2002, 05:52 PM
SDSU definitely has more obstacles than NDSU. I think that they'll make the right decision in the end, whatever it is.

Based on how hard it was for me to lend my grudging support for NDSU's move to DI, I don't think that I'd be able to support an SDSU move to DI considering the additional obstacles they have (if I were an SDSU alumus). They are in a smaller community, they already have high student activity fees, they have serious Title IX difficulties, etc. I think they'd have a shot at making serious noise in DI basketball but 13 years is a long, long time to wait. The only reason I think they'll move up is that the only people who are loudly saying they shouldn't are from USD and UND. It's the quiet ones that will be making the decision.

From my personal, biased perspective, I'd like them to move up because they'd be a better conference neighbor than UND. OTOH, being the only DI program in the Dakotas would help NDSU differentiate itself from the all the current and future D2 schools in the area.

Bisonguy
10-22-2002, 12:26 AM
Just on WDAY news- SDSU FB coach Stiegelmeyer was quoted as saying "SDSU is leaning heavily towards D1, unless a major obstacle is found."

The official decision is expected to be announced in Nov.

10-22-2002, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't sell SDSU short just because of their small town location. There are a lot of D-1 schools-even some really huge ones-in rural locations. For a couple of examples I'm familiar with-Pullman, Washington (Washington State) and Moscow, Idaho (University of Idaho) would probably make Brookings look positively urban. Sometimes small college towns just add to the charm. My own school (Montana State) is in Bozeman which isn't very big and doesn't have a big town like Sioux Falls real close by.

The question is will/do the folks in Sioux Falls travel to Brookings? I know there's quite a parade from Spokane to Pullman for every Wazzu game day.

Next question: How about SDSU's basketball program? I've heard they have a pretty big arena and draw some impressive crowds.

tony
10-23-2002, 12:37 AM
SDSU has a fantastic basketball program and a great arena.

10-23-2002, 05:00 AM
Thank you all. This is all very helpful and interesting. I too hope SDSU goes Division I and that both NDSU and SDSU join the Big Sky. Too bad the others don't have a message board like NDSU.

Trainer
10-25-2002, 02:56 PM
Hi all,
Here is a link to a story on SDSU's Division I decision. It's all about money.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5828444&BRD=1127&PAG=461&dept_id=9 2758&rfi=6

If this link isn't point and click. Copy and paste it.
JD

The_Sicatoka
10-25-2002, 08:44 PM
Montana State Fan:

http://SiouxSports.com

JBB
10-25-2002, 11:37 PM
It sounds like SDSUs money challenges are bigger than I thought they were. Im not as confident of their move as I once was.

11-11-2002, 02:25 PM
I think the move will happen despite all risks that are out there. I think its about image. One thing that was announced this summer was a Sun Grant coming to SDSU. This grant is big in terms of research dollars and is for the purpose of developing alternative sources of energy. Oregan State, Okalhoma State and Tennessee are the partners in this thing. I was told it would double the amount of current research dollars given by the fed to our Agriculture Experimentation Research. This will be good to the community of Brookings since it will bring research and additional graduate students. More fans :P

If you are going to hob knob with the big wigs in land grant research, you need a new suit of clothes for the athletic department. THis one big reason that President Miller is persuing this avenue. ;D

Things are shaky right now in terms of revenue, and not having a conference is a nother problem. Add to that those hostile Board of Regents with ties to USD, who will try to shoot the move down in the approval process, but Governor Elect Mike Rounds may help out on this move after January 1st or whenever he takes office. Supposely he is not opposed to the move to D1 and maybe being an SDSU alum we will get support from him.

There may be a ton of other things that have not been made public. SDSU is very quiet about big things until they happen.