PDA

View Full Version : Is a D1 NCC more of a possibility??

WYOBISONMAN
02-07-2003, 05:11 PM
I posted this on the SUE site too so I could see what they thought. I think the SUE are probably eating some crow over this latest news out about the auto-bids for the hockey playoffs. If NDSU and SDSU do not get into the Big Sky I think that there is an increased chance of a D1 NCC. This auto-bid issue may be a real push behind some more teams leaving the NCC. My preference if to get into the Big Sky, but second choice would be to have a D1 NCC. What do you think? What would be your second choice for conference affiliation?

02-07-2003, 08:21 PM
The lack of auto bids will really not hurt UND nor any other WCHA teams as the league will usually get a minimum of 4, and maybe 5-6 to the tourney anyway. It will hurt the CHA teams instead which includes Bemidji and Air Force. They probably will not a get a bid most years.

02-07-2003, 08:29 PM
No need to worry. It looks like the NCAA woke up and will grandfather both leagues in.

http://www.uscho.com/news/2003/02/06_006096.php

JBB
02-10-2003, 02:56 PM
I dont like the idea of a DI NCC. Maybe Omaha but forget SCSU or Mankato, Augi has no chance, USD has set out their future plan and UNC is gone. Having UND in DI with us will spread what local talent there is too thin. It's time the universities went their seperate ways like Iowa and Iowa State.

If we dont develop new relationships in DI through a new conference affiliation and independent scheduling we will gain less for our investment. Now that NDSU has finally decided it can afford the travel expense of a DI move lets take full advantage of it. It took 30 years to accept the fact that DI means much higher travel expenses.

tony
02-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Maybe the NCC will still move up but with NDSU and UNC gone it just doesn't seem likely anymore. Last year was such a great opportunity. Suppose that UND had voted in favor of DI - now put yourself in an NCC members's shoes: you can stay DII and try to find a new conference or you can stick with the NCC for the same price and have a clear path to auto bids in both FB and BB on the horizon.

From my perspective, having a DI NCC form now would be a mixed blessing. Travel costs would be lower but the new DI NCC would probably vote to limit football scholarshps. Not only that, part of the appeal of DI is that NDSU will be the only DI school in the state and one of three or four in MN-WI-ND-SD. It's easy to see the impact this has made on recruiting already.

Does this add up?

Coach leaving + a long provisional period starting + ND media fretting + a 2-8 record = best recruiting class ever

Apparently:

The DI label (with no additional scholarships) > Coach leaving + provisional period + media hand-wringing + 2-8 record.

Then again, I don't think that it is likely that NDSU and SDSU are going to get an immediate invitation to join the Big Sky - although the Big Sky will probably say that they'll revisit the issue after next season (when the football re-org is finished). Given that NDSU probably won't get in right away, if the NCC made DI overtures, then maybe NDSU would be wise to consider it. I'd have my doubts about it though.