PDA

View Full Version : ***Division I Support***

Bisonguy
01-22-2003, 06:13 AM
For those that haven't heard, ND House Bill #1356 is very bad news for Bison fans supporting the DI move. In a nutshell, it says that state money and student fees would not be available to support DI athletics. Please take the time to write the ND house an email stating disapproval of the bill. >:(
Here's the address of the ND legislative council:
lcouncil@state.nd.us

Here's the addresses of the ND house reps:

oaarsvol@state.nd.us, bamerman@state.nd.us, lbellew@state.nd.us, wbelter@state.nd.us, rberg@state.nd.us, lbernste@state.nd.us, tboe@state.nd.us, rboehning@state.nd.us, mboucher@state.nd.us, tbrusega@state.nd.us, acarlson@state.nd.us, bclark@state.nd.us, ddekrey@state.nd.us, ldelmore@state.nd.us, jdelzer@state.nd.us, wdevlin@state.nd.us, mdosch@state.nd.us, ddrovdal@state.nd.us, beckre@state.nd.us, mekstrom@state.nd.us, rfroelic@state.nd.us, gfroseth@state.nd.us, pgalvin@state.nd.us, eglasshe@state.nd.us, bgrande@state.nd.us, mpgrosz@state.nd.us, pgulleso@state.nd.us, chaas@state.nd.us, lhanson@state.nd.us, khawken@state.nd.us, cheadland@state.nd.us, gherbel@state.nd.us, bhunskor@state.nd.us, riverson@state.nd.us, djohnson@state.nd.us, njohnson@state.nd.us, jkasper@state.nd.us, gkeiser@state.nd.us, rkelsch@state.nd.us, skelsh@state.nd.us, kkempeni@state.nd.us, jkerzman@state.nd.us, jkingsbu@state.nd.us, fklein@state.nd.us, mklein@state.nd.us, lklemin@state.nd.us, kkoppelm@state.nd.us, gkreidt@state.nd.us, wkretsch@state.nd.us, jkroeber@state.nd.us, amaragos@state.nd.us, bmartins@state.nd.us, lmeier@state.nd.us, rmetcalf@state.nd.us, dmonson@state.nd.us, pmueller@state.nd.us, jonelson@state.nd.us, enichola@state.nd.us, cniemeie@state.nd.us, mnorland@state.nd.us, dnottest@state.nd.us, konstad@state.nd.us, vpietsch@state.nd.us, cpollert@state.nd.us, tkporter@state.nd.us, lpotter@state.nd.us, cprice@state.nd.us, erennerf@state.nd.us, druby@state.nd.us, ssandvig@state.nd.us, arschmid@state.nd.us, dseverso@state.nd.us, msitte@state.nd.us, bskarpho@state.nd.us, dsolberg@state.nd.us, ksvedjan@state.nd.us, bthoreso@state.nd.us, ethorpe@state.nd.us, wtieman@state.nd.us, mtimm@state.nd.us, guglem@state.nd.us, fwald@state.nd.us, jwarner@state.nd.us, awarnke@state.nd.us, dweiler@state.nd.us, rweisz@state.nd.us, jwentz@state.nd.us, awieland@state.nd.us, rwikenhe@state.nd.us, cdwilliams@state.nd.us, lwinrich@state.nd.us, dwrangha@state.nd.us, szaiser@state.nd.us

BisonMav
01-22-2003, 02:15 PM
I sent an email, and copied all the names in your list. The first response I received from a Rep was:

I graduated from NDSU and they are going DIVISION 1. THis bill is introduced by two UND grads and it has raised a lot of HELL around here. It has no chance of passing. THey just want to have their say.

I will keep you posted.

GO BISON

tony
01-22-2003, 03:22 PM
The language about activity fees means that there is no way that it's going to pass.

SDSUFAN
01-22-2003, 04:31 PM
If this bill affects existing D1 programs, would this not apply to hockey? Seems like this could back fire on the UND supporters. *I bet there is specific language that excludes UND'S hockey program.

If it *is not applicable to exisiting programs, it could end up in the Supreme Court if passed and signed by the Governor. It would then appear to be not applicable to all state assisted institutions in North Dakota and maybe that makes it discriminatory. *Not a lawyer by any means, but it would appear that way to me. I guess you can't really make laws based on rah-rah emotions.

I suppose they are taking a clue from the South Dakota *Board of Regents who after approving SDSU's plan adopted a policy for the other five institutions. The policy basically says no increases in Student fees or state money may be used to upgrade to D1. I interpretated the policy to not affect existing student fees. Now under this policy the other five can not come to the legislature asking for money. *The way it works in South Dakota each institution has to work through the Board of Regents in any request for state money for any purpose.

The institutions can not go directly to the legislature with an open hand and request money for any purpose, athletics or other.

Some have commented on the SDSU student fees as being high, but when compared to USD, NSU, Black Hills *SD Tech and Dakota State, SDSU fees were the lowest in the state. So the institutions in South Dakota smaller than SDSU rely more on student fees for athletic programs than SDSU does. *The reason is their fund raising efforts are very modest.

Bisonguy
01-22-2003, 10:49 PM
I have received a few replies from the reps as follows:

1)I agree , Thanks for the comments

2)Thank you for your input.

3)I could argue with you but I find that I am in full agreement with your
position. *This bill DISGUSTS me also. *It is brought up by two of the
biggest Fargo and NDSU haters in the legislature. *It has no chance of
passing. *NDSU is going Division 1 and we are going to ensure that they
have every chance to succeed by giving them all the tools necessary to
do
so.

I thank you for your time and your attention to this matter and I will
keep
you up to date on the situation.

GO BISON

4)As an SU grad, I hope the school can go Division I too!

5)Thanks for your comments on HB1356. *While both of the sponsors of this
bill are fine people, I must disagree with their decision to bring this
bill forward. *North Dakota DOES need to find bold new ways to market
itself to the rest of the country. *NDSU's move to D1 athletics is just
one
of these ways.

Hopefully we can convince a majority of House members to resist the
restraints that HB1356 puts on our educational institutions and have
them
vote "NO" on this bill.

Looks fairly good so far, but maybe a few more emails from others may help persuade the undecided.

01-22-2003, 10:53 PM
All these "replies" and no names....

Bisonguy
01-22-2003, 10:55 PM
I left the names out to protect the innocent. ::)

Please go jump over a candlestick. ;D :o ;D

BisonMav
01-23-2003, 01:48 PM
Another Reply:

I'm just hearing about this bill. A couple of my friends put it in and I don't know why. I'll talk to them, listen to the whole debate, and probably not vote for it based on what I know so far. I feel this is a free country and if NDSU votes to go Division I, good for them.

UND_Herd
02-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Umm... it seems there's been a little misinformation going on about the bill's roots. Here is the text of the introduction of the bill... http://www.state.nd.us/lr/assembly/58-2003/bill_text/DAVN0200.pdf The sponsors listed are not a pair of UND grads, etc. One graduated from NDSU. Here's the info on the two... http://www.state.nd.us/lr/assembly/58-2003/house/representatives/bios/francisjwald.html and the turncoat... http://www.state.nd.us/lr/assembly/58-2003/house/representatives/bios/rodfroelich.html Their emails are... 1. Representative Francis J. Wald (R) fwald@state.nd.us and 2. Representative Rod Froelich (D) rfroelich@state.nd.us Their phone numbers, etc are also on the bios from the urls listed above. ENJOY

tony
02-03-2003, 11:41 PM
In my mind, it doesn't matter who introduces a bill like this. Of course they need a non-UND sponsor or it'll look like UND's legislative tools are being petty again.

I've got three problems with this. One, it is aimed specifically at NDSU. It's OK for UND or Minot or any other schools to use money to support their choice of divisions but not NDSU? Two, the students pay the activity fees and vote whether to raise them on their own so why should the legislature step in that it's OK to spend money on a Wellness Center or something but not DI athletics? The third problem is that "directly or indirectly" part. What a can of worms that would open up. Is the Wellness Center indirectly related to going DI? Is raising a coach's salary related to DI? Shovelling the sidewalks by the arena?

siouxrock
02-04-2003, 12:10 AM
HAHA
Haha

Bison_Kent
02-04-2003, 12:25 AM
To me, this sounds unconstitional. Sure, the state of North Dakota gives money to all state universities. But how can a state tell a university that they can not raise the student activity fees if the students vote for it? I am fine with the state not giving NDSU any more money then UND but they can not tell the university how to run its athletic program and how it is funded beyond the state's fundings. This is up to the university and the university only.

Is this a law or just a bill? Has it been voted on and if so, what was the vote tally?

JBB
02-04-2003, 12:12 PM
The Forum is reporting today that the bill is going to the floor with a 12-1 recomendation not to pass. Of course the 1 vote in favor is the und stooge.

BisonMav
02-04-2003, 02:01 PM
UND Thundering Herd: You say Rep Rod Froelich graduated from NDSU. When and what was his degree? Just curious because people are saying he is an NDSU graduate. I can't find him in my Alumni Directory.

SDSUFAN
02-04-2003, 02:14 PM
I am a little confused with the committee vote being 12-1 and do not pass recommendation. *Again, I know nothing about procedures in the North Dakota Legislature, but if the committee voted 12-1, why would this bill even advance to the full house or floor for consideration? It seems to me the committee vote should have killed the bill.

With numerous bills to consider, maybe the bills recommended for passage are considered first by the full house. With the bill getting a do not pass recommendation by the entire committee, the bill goes to the bottom of the pile for consideration. If they never get to considering this bill before the end of the session, it in effect dies in hopper for this legislative session. *Just curious what is next for this bill. Every state has different procedures for bill passage.

Its interesting that the bill does not apply to UND hockey.

The other way to kill a bill is to add amendments, especially one that would affect Mr. Frolich's area of the state.
If we have a legislative junky on the message board, maybe he can address what is going on here in terms of procedures and what life this bill may still have.

tony
02-04-2003, 03:48 PM
JBB, Rod Froelich isn't UND's stooge. I'm sure that he has legitimate concerns.

SDSUFAN, in ND everything comes up for a vote because a committee can't kill a bill. Although in past practice, this bill would have been as good as dead. Not sure how things work now.

JBB
02-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Whatever he is, and I'm sure he is a respected legislator; he opens himself up to that type of criticism by sponsoring such a poorly written, pointed piece of legislation. *With that in mind I would rather be critical of his loyalties than his ability as a legislator, although both could be called to question.

02-04-2003, 05:03 PM
I am with JBB. The guy looked like a UND stooge in this. I am a life long Democrat (as is the bill's sponsor), but I still would say he is a foolish legislator and a damn poor legislator to sponsor such a silly and biased bill.

Bisonguy
02-04-2003, 06:23 PM
Its interesting that the bill does not apply to UND hockey.

As far as I know, it does apply to UND hockey. One of the news stations did an interview with Gene Taylor and Roger Thomas. Roger said that UND would have to separate the athletic budgets for hockey and everything else. I'm still dumbfounded why someone would want to not support something that will promote the state. Why not cut funding for NAIA and d2, where there is little to no national exposure?

tony
02-04-2003, 06:51 PM
I'll be blunt. If Roger Thomas thinks that the bill applies to UND after he reads the text, then he should get help.

"...related to an institution's designation as a division I member institution within the national collegiate athletic
association."

Since when is UND a division I member institution?

I think that part of the problem are the rumors that have been swirling around, especially the one about the state being forced to raise faculty salaries for NDSU to go DI.

Bisonguy
02-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Roger must have adopted the "Jan Brady Complex" from the UND fans- "Bison, Bison, Bison! >:(" I just love the "green screams louder" billboard in Fargo, it only solidifies the evidence of the "Jan Brady Complex".

UND_Herd
02-10-2003, 08:41 PM
BisonMav: go to the demnpl site and look up district 31... http://www.demnpl.com/index.asp?Type=B_DIR&SEC={1072D7CC-6E1D-4C8B-8500-8DBA515F2EDC}

BisonMav
02-10-2003, 08:58 PM
I have seen this bio before and I was just curious if he graduated. The link says he went to school at NDSU. I know lots of people that went to school at NDSU and UND and did not get degrees. It doesn't matter one way or another, the bill was not well thought up, and UND looks to be moving toward Division I also.

UND_Herd
02-10-2003, 09:19 PM
True, he may not have actually graduated at all. Many people conveniently say that they were 'educated' instead of flaunting a degree when they don't in fact have any. the North Dakota State Legislature's web page says that he was also 'educated' at Bismarck Junior College (now called Bismarck State College / Bring Some Crayons) http://www.state.nd.us/lr/assembly/58-2003/house/representatives/bios/rodfroelich.html Personally, I never really considered the point until you mentioned it.

mojobison
02-10-2003, 09:39 PM
The bill was defeated 80-12 and there was no pattern to the voting.

There is no denying that UND's pet jackass, Ed Schultz, was one of the leading proponents of this bill and the wording stuck into the bill: "This Act does not apply to expenditures for any division I athletic program in existence before January 1, 2001" is bound to make any NDSU backer a little skeptical of the good intentions of the bill's supporters.

siouxrock
02-10-2003, 10:02 PM
mostly everyboyd hates ed shultz here at UND

siouxrock
02-10-2003, 10:16 PM
As far as I know, it does apply to UND hockey. One of the news stations did an interview with Gene Taylor and Roger Thomas. Roger said that UND would have to separate the athletic budgets for hockey and everything else. I'm still dumbfounded why someone would want to not support something that will promote the state. Why not cut funding for NAIA and d2, where there is little to no national exposure?

so u htikn the bison will get get major exposure wiht 0-11 seasons and 1-22 basketball seasons? i dont think so

Schemer
02-10-2003, 11:15 PM
....you all must not hate him that much.....he's still the 'voice of Sioux football' .....whatever that's supposed to mean.

go bison

siouxrock
02-11-2003, 01:13 AM
he is gonna be fired any day