PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Playoff Waiting Period

Bison_Kent
03-10-2003, 03:02 AM
I have asked the "expert" at I-AA.org what the waiting period was for teams moving from Division II to I-AA. He has stated that with or without an affiliation with a current conference the waiting period is 5 years in total, one being still in Division II (the exploratory year).

So since it is 5 years, finding a conference is not as important for NDSU until the 5 year period is up. I think we could schedule several teams from the Gateway and Big Sky and other independents to make up a football schedule.

The one problem is the other sports. Basketball wouldn't be as easy to schedule teams, especially late in the season.

Here is the story in I-AA.org:

http://i-aa.org/qa_front.asp

BisonMav
03-13-2003, 03:14 PM
.....won't be permitted to play in a Big West Tournament until 2015-16, though there is legislation on the table to reduce this portion of the ban.

Until UCD is classified as a member of Division I, it will count as a Division II opponent, an unattractive option for Division I programs hoping to bolster their own power rankings. As a result, UCD will play its normal round-robin schedule of CCAA opponents next year, but will not be eligible for Division II playoffs. Football will play a similar schedule as it did in '02

Some interesting statements in the UC-Davis Big West Announcement. I hope the legislation includes all programs moving up.
Also the comment about Davis counting as a Division II opponent. Not good for scheduling Divison I teams in basketball.
UC-Davis may still be looking for a football only conference.
Any news lately on the Bison effort to join a conference?