PDA

View Full Version : NDSU gets some credit from UC Davis

tony
02-22-2003, 06:53 AM
From UC Davis's Chancellor:

...people have talked lots about retaining what we have, and stating that that means staying in Division II. It is my view that is no longer possible. Division II is not what is was, even just 10 years ago. Today, the only Division II universities in the country that look even vaguely like UC Davis, with its broadly based athletics program, are UC San Diego and North Dakota State. North Dakota State is already moving toward Division I, and while I cannot speak for UC San Diego, they will certainly be recruited for the Big West Conference as well.

Full Text... (http://www.californiaaggie.com/_articles/5661.taf)

That's almost worthy of the smack talk board.

BisonInTexas
02-22-2003, 04:34 PM
I am sure UND fans will feel slighted. Darn. ;D

Craig

Schemer
02-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Yeah, susan fans! what do you think about that!!

BisonMav
02-27-2003, 01:02 PM
If joining an established conference does not pan out, it would be great to be in a western conference with UC-Davis. Assuming UC-Davis is not going to the Big West as rumored.

Charger
02-27-2003, 06:46 PM
I think they are looking at the Big West conference for all other sports and will be independent for football. *They might be interested in starting a football conference with SDSU and NDSU. *If UNC doesn't find a conference for football they might be interested. I'm sure they could pick up some more teams like Southern Utah and San Louis Obispo. *That would be six teams. How many teams do you need to start a conference?

BisonMav
02-27-2003, 07:05 PM
I don't think there is a minimum number of team needed to start a conference. But four would be a good start. Six teams are required for an automatic bid to the playoffs, once the conference gets through the waiting period. It may be as much as eight years for a new conference. I am not an expert so anyone is welcome to fill in the details.

Charger
02-27-2003, 08:46 PM
St. Mary's is another team in Cali that is independent. I don't know if they are looking for a conference or not, but they already play Davis, SLO and SUU. I think that is pretty much every independent team in the West.

Bisonguy
02-27-2003, 10:39 PM
I don't think there is a minimum number of team needed to start a conference. *But four would be a good start. *Six teams are required for an automatic bid to the playoffs, once the conference gets through the waiting period. *It may be as much as eight years for a new conference. *I am not an expert so anyone is welcome to fill in the details.

I saw a 1AA preview in a magazine, and the Big South Conference only had four teams.

100_proof_grizzly
03-15-2003, 01:57 AM
The Big South Conference is a joke. It is comprised of teams that no one wanted and they have no shot of getting an automatic berth. Even if some of the weaker "transitional" DII or DI-AA schools (Morris Brown comes to mind) were to join and bring up the total to eight, it would still be a joke.

If things don't work out with you guys and the Big Sky, a conference of you, SDSU, No. Colorado, So. Utah, UC Davis and possibly St. Mary's or new to be DI Dixie College would be a great start. You could draw on Big Sky teams for OOC games and with conference mates it would be easier to fill out your schedule.

Bisonguy
03-15-2003, 02:30 AM
100_proof_griz,

I wasn't saying that the Big South was any good, just stating that I saw they had four teams, and NDSU could start a new conference with that number.

Bison_Kent
03-15-2003, 03:43 AM
I have heard from Gene Taylor that the Big Sky is not yet a dead deal, but not great either. He suggested to me that the NDSU is contacting the Mid-Cont. as a possible non-football conference. Then we would look at the Gateway or start a new conference with the suggested teams above.

JBB
03-15-2003, 05:09 PM
I like that new conference idea better than the BSC even. If Davis does join the Big West they could be a football only member. Im not so sure the BSC is the best for us anymore, but I wouldnt turn my back on it either.