PDA

View Full Version : Gene Taylor, Lobbyist and AD

Bisonguy
04-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Looks like Gene is jumping on the probation reduction bandwagon. -NDSU lobbies NCAA (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/cache/?id=31490)

Interesting that UCD says that they may reconsider DI if the probationary period isn't reduced.

Also interesting is the mention of the Horizon, as a conference Gene is talking to in addition to the Big Sky and the Mid-con.

Also, for the Bucky Maughan fans-NDSU wrestling plan (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/cache/?id=31487)

It looks like Bucky's grapplers may be in their own version of the orphan conference. Bucky is pushing to have the probation period for wrestling removed, citing that there are fewer schools that have a DI wrestling program, and Utah Valley State is the first to add DI wrestling in the last 30 years.

Bison_Kent
04-12-2003, 06:44 PM
I wonder why Northern Iowa wouldn't want to join this new wrestling league.

This sounds like an impressive league for wrestling. Possibly, having some of these schools in this conference might lead to schools wanting to join in other sports in the future.

JBB
04-12-2003, 09:11 PM
I like the wrestling idea too. Football and Wrestling might be ok but the other sports wont have a conference. I thought it was interesting that Gene Taylor said we essentially have 9 months to find a conference. Is it possible that NDSU would reconsider if no good conference option is available?

Bison_Kent
04-13-2003, 03:36 PM
JBB,

I don't think that will ever happen; NDSU going back to DII. I think after the probationary period many I-AA conferences will be asking for NDSU to join. I think a lot of the pause in the Big Sky was the uncertainty of the NCAA regulations. They were asking the questions; Will these former DII schools count as DI opponents or DII opponents? Will accepting DII teams hurt our chances at playoff and tournaments nationally? (Now, keep in mind that usually only one team gets in to the NCAA basketball tournament but there is also the NIT). This year Weber St. went as the automatic bid and Eastern Washington went to the NIT. In years past, I think it was rare that two teams played past the conference tournament. Also, the Big Sky usually gets two teams in to the I-AA football playoffs. Will inviting two teams directly from DII change the RPI of the league and the possibility that only one team would get in the playoffs? Also, there is the talk of I-A teams moving down to I-AA in football. Are conferences waiting until these teams move down to do any expanding?

In my opinion, these are more the questions the I-AA conferences are asking, not the geography issue.

Also, I think the talk of the Mid-Cont. or Horizon or the new conferences all might be temporary leagues for NDSU until NDSU is a full member of Division I. I am sure five years from now we will be seeing new talk of conferences.

For me, staying in DII is not an option. Scholorships are being lessened and the competition is getting watered down. I would rather see no playoff opportunities for four-five years then see the degrading of the NDSU programs as we will be able to get less talent and it will make NDSU equal to the NSIC teams.