PDA

View Full Version : NCC of the Future

10-26-2002, 03:28 AM
With NDSU and UNC leaving, and possibly SDSU too, what is the likely NCC of the future look like? Who will replace the departing teams? Will they come from the Northern Sun?

Trainer
10-26-2002, 04:34 AM
The NCC will most likely add teams from the Northern Sun or RMAC conference. Just a case of proximity... I've heard Winona State and Nebraska-Kearney mentioned. I don't want to start anything but I've also heard that Nebraska-Omaha may be considering a move to the MIAA if possible, but only if the NCC get diluted with mediocre programs. JD

wsuwarrior
10-27-2002, 04:11 AM
I don't have the exact figures, but I don't believe that Winona State has the money to make the jump from the NSIC to the NCC. Now, that's not to say that it wouldn't and couldn't happen, but I just don't know we have, or could get the money to make the jump.

tony
10-27-2002, 02:56 PM
Mankato only offers a dozen or so football scholarships so it's not like you have to offer 36. Winona would do fine in the other sports - they'd get worn down in football though.

JBB
10-27-2002, 03:00 PM
Neb Kearny is lukewarm to the idea at best. Its unlikely they will join. Its more likely that the NSIC may be absorbed completly into the NCC and possibly two divisions created. This becomes far more likely if SDSU and UNO leave.

wsuwarrior
10-27-2002, 09:54 PM
From a conversation I had with NSIC Commissioner Mike Lockrem, the NSIC is not looking to merge with the NCC. The only possibility is if the NCC falls apart from teams going to D-IAA, and the NSIC would absorb the remaining teams from the NCC (This was from an e-mail conversation I had with Commissioner Lockrem a day after UM-Duluth announced that they would be leaving, and under the understanding that I am a member of the media).

Take it for what you will.

JBB
10-27-2002, 10:35 PM
You have some inside information from the NSIC. My idea was purely speculative. Since the NCC is the older league I figured it might be the suvivor.

I believe SDSU is moving on. What UNO does I cant say, but if the NCC moves a couple of more NSIC schools into the league and with Morris out, that leaves the the NSIC kind of bare.

I guess it really doesnt make any difference what the league is called, but making one league out of the remainder of the two is probably a good idea. No sense in having two league administrations. The duplication is a waste of money.

If UNO moves that leaves UMD, UND, Mankato, SCSU, Augustana and USD. Even if UNO stays that would leave USD and Augi as the only non D1 hockey schools. Maybe they should move over to the NSIC and let the hockey schools run their own league?

purplemavfan
10-28-2002, 03:03 AM
On the subject of MSU scholarships---I was told by the former head Mav coach that 24 were given out last year. This may have changed, but I am sure they still have more than 12. I foresee a possible reduction of NCC scholarships for football in a revamped NCC without SDSU, NDSU, and UNC, possibly down to 30 or so. I think the most likely scenario would be a merger of remaining NCC teams and most of the NSIC; although it is likely that some of the lower echelon NSIC teams may not be able to afford scholarship parity with the NCC.

10-29-2002, 04:01 AM
Quiet Guy says UM-Duluth is leaving NSIC. Are they joining NCC?

Bisonguy
10-29-2002, 04:16 AM
MontanaStateFan,

Yes, UM-Duluth has been accepted as the newest member of the NCC.

JBB
11-11-2002, 06:11 PM
I dont think there is any doubt that the D2 schools will again vote for scholarship reduction. Its happened 2 times in the past. It didnt bring an end to D2 but many of the schools that made the division great moved on.

If SDSU and NDSU join UNC this is a 7 team league. If UNO leaves it is a 6 team league. Even at 7 a new member would have to be found. Its unlikely that Winona will join. They are a solid NSIC member and dont seem to have the resources. I dont believe they are recruiting even the full NSIC limit now. No other NSIC school seems to be viable.

Why would schools further afield, for instance an RMAC school, want to join? It would greatly increase their overhead and they already have a competitive conference.

Maybe New Haven would join? But all that would do is increase costs and thats one of the big reasons other schools are touting as why they dont want to move up. In fact baring a surprise from one of the more regional schools any potential new members will have this affect.

I think its far more likely for Augustana to leave the NCC for the NSIC than have another NSIC team join this league. If the league does stay intact I have no trouble seeing USD, Augi, Manakto and probably SCSU supporting a scholarship cut.

for NCC D1 hockey schools Scholarship cuts may not be too important, but they leave a school like NDSU in a tough position. To get the D1 exposure it wants Its far more expensive for NDSU to add hockey than to just move the other sports up. Hockey needs facilities that arent there and there is no conference for NDSU to join. Rather than finding itself in a position where athletics are being de-emphasized and they are losing visibility they have to move up. I believe SDSU finds themselves in much the same position.

That leaves the NCC is a tough spot and may force it to join with the NSIC and create a two tier league much like the LSC.

wsuwarrior
12-02-2002, 12:52 AM
Does anyone know anything new?

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2002/1022/1449504.html

According to this article from ESPN.com, we should be expecting a decision before Christmas. Anyone know anything new? I'd like to know just in case I need to wave good bye to another NSIC member.

12-02-2002, 02:35 AM
WSUWarrior:
Here is an update on whats going on at SDSU. If it were a decision left entirely up to SDSU President Peggy Miller, the decision process would be over. The Board of Regents however must approve this move. Another hoop to jump through. The South Dakota Board of Regents will hold a public forum on December 4th in Sioux Falls where those for and opposed will be allowed to speak their minds. I live in Nebraska and work full time otherwise I would be up to Sioux Falls on Wednesday. I did prepare a statement and emailed to the Board of Regents. I tried to post it here but it cause the size of this message to exceed the parameter and told me to shorten the message.

The South Dakota Board of Regents meets for a quarterly meeting on Dec 8-9 in Rapid City. The BofR will have the approval on its agenda. At that time it will be either approved or shot down. I have no idea how they will vote. There are some regents that are tied to USD with degrees etc, and how this will influence their decision and vote remains to be seen.

JBB
12-03-2002, 11:31 PM
Clair,

I heard from an SDSU supporter (Brookings Native) that all indications were that the regents were going to vote it down. this would be a disaster. do you have any more insight. Its only a rumor but my friends father was a professor at SDSU for many years and he gets the news from his mother.

12-04-2002, 03:12 AM
John:
Its rumor that may have legs. Even if the Regents vote it down its not dead. Four of the regents will need reappointment in January and with Governor Rounds coming in January, it could be a different group and maybe it will be reconsidered later on.

BisonInTexas
12-04-2002, 03:54 PM
It would be a blow to NDSU for conference affiliation, be it with an established conference or forming a new conference with UNC, SDSU, et al. Here is what the Forum is reporting today:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/?id=23677

wsuwarrior
04-13-2003, 08:10 PM
I just wanted to bump this, since USD is "conducting a comprehensive review of all athletic programs".

If USD, UNC, NDSU and SDSU all leave the NCC, how much longer will it be before UNO and UND both hop up. And what will happen to Minnesota-Duluth, St. Cloud, MSU-Mankato, and Augustana?

Bisonguy
04-13-2003, 08:58 PM
I doubt UNO will move up. They have already said they would join the MIAA if the NCC is watered down. Nebraska has a fairly big DI program that draws from Omaha.

UND, who knows. They're straddling the fence, but their DI hockey budget sucks up a lot of funds that would be needed to move the rest of the program up.

The rest of the MN schools probably can't afford to move up. The Gophers may try to block any efforts of the other schools, so they remain the big show in the state.

BisonInTexas
04-14-2003, 04:57 AM
UND will move up before USD does. If either of those schools moves up, UNO will bolt to the MIAA and the NCC will be no more. Augustana and either UND or USD will join the NSIC (or perhaps the DAC 10 once they move up to DII? ;D)

Craig

wsuwarrior
04-14-2003, 05:18 AM
I forgot to put my thoughts on the subject.

I think UND and USD will get pissed because the SU's being D-I, and will move up or be in the process in the next decade. I think USD and UND are too proud to end up in the NSIC. UNO will bolt for the MIAA. Augustana, MSU - Mankato, St. Cloud, and returning after a brief vacation, UMD returns to the NSIC, for the third time.

The NSIC will be as such:

Southern Division:
Winona State, Wayne State (NE), Southwest State, MSU - Mankato, Augustana and Concordia St. Paul

Northern Division:
St. Cloud State, UM - Duluth, MSU - Moorhead, UM - Crookston, Bemidji State, Northern State

BisonInTexas
04-14-2003, 02:51 PM
I forgot to state in my post that I thought all of the MN schools from the NCC would join the NSIC (as you postulated). That sounds like the makings of a pretty competitive DII conference.

Craig

JBB
04-14-2003, 06:13 PM
That would be a heck of a good conference, but I dont think UNO would bolt the NCC if USD left. I think it ends up being UND, SCSU, Mankato, Bemidji, UMD, UNO, Augustana. It will schedule a lot of games with NSIC and MIAA because of the small league and the need to play intra regional rivals.

It seems to me the way the rules are written it wont make any difference for the Dakota Us. A loss to the DI Dakota SUs will be as bad a loss to Winona, especially if the SUs arent any good. The expanded playoff field may dilute the impact of a loss for the Us, but if the loss becomes too big a threat to playoff chances they may stop playing.

Schemer
04-14-2003, 06:14 PM
...just thought I'd post and see how my new pic looked

plus I was bored

mojobison
04-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Some of this will depend on which teams from the DAC-10 move up.