PDA

View Full Version : Idaho is now a full Sun Belt member

Bison_Kent
05-23-2003, 09:40 PM
I found this on the Montana site. It looks like the state of Idaho is supporting Idaho's move to stay in DI-A.

Not that this will help the Bison necessarily but I am sure it can't hurt if Idaho stays in DI-A to eventually get into the Big Sky. But I think it will take at least the probationary period for this to happen.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/Sports/story.asp?ID=40381

JBB
05-23-2003, 11:11 PM
I agree with you BK. I never thought they would go back to DIAA but the BSC members just couldnt let their egos think anybody would want to leave their conference. All and all I think the Mid Con members are the most arrogant. But on the other hand we may be way ahead of ouselves and probably should get used to the idea of a 5 year independent schedule.

In the meantime a conference affiliation is most important. The BSC has said they would be there for us in that regard. Thats our best route. It helps for all sports.

Bisonguy
05-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Troy State has accepted to join the Sunbelt, as well. This pretty much closes the door on any IA teams moving down to IAA. Troy State and some of the Sunbelt were the only schools that didn't meet all the criteria. There's a minute detail that most of the IA fallout forecasters failed to see in the bylaw(20.9.6)-If the school fails the 15,000 per game test, they are still okay if their conference has 6 I-A FB members and over half of these FB members pass the 15,000 test. Troy State will now be able to meet the five home game requirement.

Bison_Kent
05-24-2003, 12:44 AM
JBB,

I am starting to change my mind about the Mid Con Conference as well. *After doing research, it might be better to stay as an indepedent rather then be affiliated with this mess of a conference. *They have members that would struggle to make it the NCC even though they are in highly populated urban areas. *I am not saying they are all bad (Valpo, Oral Roberts, UMKC, Oakland, and even S. Utah look good) but Chicago St. is a joke. *So is IUPUI (even though they made it to the Big Dance last year). *These two draw crowds of hundreds, not thousands and have the facilities that are worse then Valley City State's. *If they would be forced to upgrade their facilities, the MCC might be a descent conference but when you have these type of colleges in there, this is why they are the laughing stock of DI sports. *

If we can get that affilation with the Big Sky (note: not full membership), this would help us in scheduling basketball, volleyball, and other harder to-find-oppenents sports. *

Now getting this affiliation might take some doing. *I would bet many of these schools would not want to travel to Fargo (especially for basketball) to play a tough team on the road, which doesn't even have a RPI rating. *Most would probably be willing to play us in the November and December times just as we play Concordia, Valley City State, and others in non-conf. play at their place. *Finding the games in the heart of the Big Sky schedule might be rather tough. *

Bison_Kent
05-24-2003, 03:27 AM
Also, note that Troy St. has also accepted an all-sports invitation. This pretty much confirms the Sun Belt is going to stay a Football conference and both Idaho and Troy St. should be able to meet the new I-A demands.

Sac_State
05-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Thats just great about Idaho and Troy State. But they will still die a slow death. The haves of DI will just pull further apart from the DI wannabes. These two schools might play DI football, but will NEVER play in a BCS bowl and the subsequent $$$ payouts. I would rather have a IAA team with a chance to play for a national ranking/title than a DI team that will always be in the cellar.

RockyMtnGriz
05-27-2003, 08:17 PM
Bison_Kent,

Sorry to disappoint you, but the BSC does not accept partial conference affiliations. A school must participate in all BSC sports or they cannot be a BSC member. For those school with sports other than the BSC sports, they are inother conferences for those sports(Sac State - Baseball, Softball?... are in the Big West I believe).

Personally, I'd love to see the Bison in the BSC. Seems a natural fit (would make family reunions in ND more interesting also).

Bison_Kent
05-27-2003, 09:37 PM
RockyMTGriz,

What I was hoping for from the Big Sky was to have an all-sports affliation until our probationary period was up for each sport. Games would count as non-conference until then but we would have teams to play as we journey into DI land. This probably can't happen as you said.

I am glad to hear that you would like the Bison in the Sky. A lot of changes in DI sports seem to be happening right now and might effect other teams in the Big Sky. The next few years will be interesting to see where everyone goes.

SDSUFAN
05-28-2003, 01:08 AM
Thats just great about Idaho and Troy State. But they will still die a slow death. The haves of DI will just pull further apart from the DI wannabes. These two schools might play DI football, but will NEVER play in a BCS bowl and the subsequent $$$ payouts. I would rather have a IAA team with a chance to play for a national ranking/title than a DI team that will always be in the cellar.

Granted neither Idaho or Troy State will be playing the Rose Bowl any time soon. I have visited Troy State and they have great football facilities. Football is very popular in the Deep South and their current average of 13,000 per game is not that far from the minimum of 16,000. This increase in attendence is easily attainable. Troy State opens with Kansas State this year, so they will be picking up big bucks from that game.

I waiting for the success of Sac State at the D1AA level. It seems to me that the Sac State fans should be concerned about their own program and not worry about Idaho or Troy State.

Sac_State
05-28-2003, 01:30 PM
SDSU fan: Why should Sac be worried about their program. Sac is happy as a clam to be IAA and in the Sky. Sac has full funding and has just had the CSU trustees approve a $170M athletic/recreation facility upgrade. Unlike SDSU and San Jose, Sac does not have DI football aspirations, which will kill a mid-major DI football program that is not in the BCS. I hope SDSU finds a new AD and long-term funding for its football team.

Sac_State
05-28-2003, 05:15 PM
My bad. By SDSU, I thought you were a San Diego state fan, not South Dakota. Nevermind what I replied earlier.

SDSUFAN
05-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Sac State:
Where is the 170 million coming from? Does it come from the taxpayers or is this money to be raised by other means?

I dont think South Dakota State needs to find a new AD. We have a hard working guy, whom your AD knows very well. If we dont find a conference, I dont know what will happen. *Its very quiet right now so don't know what to say. I can speak a little better for Troy State since as I said toured their facilities. The football facility is excellent.

Idaho on the other hand I know nothing about except they seem reluctant *about coming back to the BSC. Playing their home games in Pullman Washington cant be a good thing for the long term.

I think everyone at the D1AA level and up need to have a great deal of commitment in terms of community support to make things work. I would be willing to bet that where those who are in trouble in making the attendence criteria also have a problem in relating to the immediate community. *There are some old timers in Nebraska that were great fans even when the Husker were a bad team before Devaney arrived. *After last season, you would thinks tickets might be available. No such luck. Thats the kind of following will keep a program afloat year in and year out.

The San Diego State thing does create confusion so you are not the first to make that mistake. No foul no harm.