PDA

View Full Version : Most Important Goal for Bison football

tony
05-04-2003, 07:35 PM
In my mind is to become one of the DI-AA football teams that shows up in EA Sports NCAA Football video game :)

More than I think about this, it really would be cool. Th

The 2004 version has 56 DI-AA teams in the mix so it's possible. I can't wait.

Bisonguy
05-04-2003, 07:55 PM
tony,

did you realize that NCAA 2003 recognizes the "Bison" team name if you create a team? The announcers say Bison, but if you create a sioux team, they just say "the home team" or "away team". Anyhow, one can create a fairly authentic Bison team, other than the helmet logo (Ox is the closest thing). I think they will probably put in last year's top 25 teams, along with all the Ivy League and crappy DIAA teams that are currently in the game.

How many teams are on the BB games? I thought they used to have all 300+ DI teams.

Do the schools receive any licensing $$$ for the games?

tony
05-04-2003, 09:22 PM
The NCAA probably takes the licensing money. I had heard that you could create your own team on the old games from the I-AA boards but I'd rather see the Bison in their own stadium. Plus, what would make this such a significant bonus for NDSU would be that they'd show the players from NDSU's team on the game! How cool would that be if you were a Bison player!?!

NDSU will definitely get on the BB game which will be cool. I prefer football though. Then again, I only have the 1999 made-for-the-PC game and maybe I should give the BB game a try (I will as soon as NDSU is on it).

BTW, all teams I play run a significant amount of triple option :)

Bisonguy
05-04-2003, 10:51 PM
Here's the IAA's on the 2003 version:

1)Alabama A & M
2)Alabama State
3)Alcorn State
4)Arkansas Pine -Bluff
5)Bethune-Cookman
6)Brown
7)Columbia
8 )Cornell
9)Dartmouth
10)Delaware State
11)Florida A&M
12)Grambling State
13)Hampton
14)Harvard
15)Howard
16)Jackson State
17)Miss. Valley State
18 )Morgan State
19)N. Carolina A&T
20)Norfolk State
21)Penn
22)Prairie View A&M
23)Princeton
24)S. Carolina St.
25)Southern
26)Texas Southern
27)Yale

Bison_Kent
05-05-2003, 03:08 AM
I had a Super Nintendo System game that had NDSU and South Dakota as teams on it from the early '90s. It had at least one team from all 50 states along with all I-A teams so the non-Division I-A states had the best team from the state; NDSU and USD were the top teams from ND and SD. It was a game that had make-believe bowl games such as the Pineapple Bowl and Tulip Bowl. It also was a game with the NFL teams as well. I think the name was Play Action Football. It has the Bison colors but no logos. It actually didn't have any logos for the any college teams. I remember you could make your own schedule against teams like Nebraska, Miami (FL), and Ohio State. If you went undefeated against these teams, you could win the national title. Now that I think about it, I think U of Montana was MT's team

For its time, this was a pretty good game. It ran the offense that college ran such as the Nebraska option and Miami's passing attack.

Bisonguy
05-12-2003, 02:23 AM
After doing a little research, it looks like the Southern Conference, Big Sky Conference, Atlantic 10, and the Gateway Conference will be the additions to NCAA Football 2004. Maybe we should push Gene for the Big Sky or Gateway even more. ;D ;D I also heard that the conferences will be intact, so you don't have to import them into a IA conference like the 2003 version. Maybe they will even have a IAA playoff.

JBB
06-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Heres another goal for NDSU football, Filling the schedule. I just saw this advertisement on footballscoop.com

North Dakota State University:*

2004 - Looking for IAA or DII opponents
August 28, 2004 (H or A)
September 11, 2004 (H or A)
September 25, 2004 (H or A)
October 2, 2004 (A)
October 9, 2004 (A)
October 16, 2004 (H)
October 23, 2004 (H)
October 30, 2004 (H)
November 13, 2004 (H or A)
November 20, 2004 (H or A)
Home and home with corresponding date in 2005, or game guarantee for home dates.
Gene Taylor
Director of Athletics
Phone: 701-231-8985
e-mail: Gene.Taylor@ndsu.nodak.edu

Bison_Kent
06-03-2003, 02:11 AM
Just for fun, I looked at this site (http://www.footballscoop.com) and the (http://www.afca.com/lev0.cfm/1) site, *I created a possible independent schedule from the open dates listed.

Aug. 28: *Minnesota State-Mankato (Home)
Sept. 4: *Montana (Home) assumed same weekend as this year
Sept. 11: UND (Home)
Sept. 25: McNeese State (Away)
Oct. 2: * Western Illinois (Home)
Oct. 9: * *Lehigh (Away)
Oct. 16: *Sam Houston State (Home)
Oct. 23: *Montana State (Away)
Oct. 30: *Northwestern Louisana State (Away)
Nov. 6: * *Eastern Washington (Away)
Nov. 13: *Central Connecticut State (Home)
Nov. 20: *Southeastern Louisana State (Home) another new I-AA team

Note: Cal-Davis didn't list a 2004 open date. *This is a 12 game schedule since playoffs are not a possibility, I thought scheduling 12 games would be the best with 7 home and 5 road games. *The home games are against two DII teams (MSU-Mankato and UND) and against the lower class I-AA teams that would probably be willing to come to Fargo in NDSU's first I-AA season and Montana in the NDSU home game of the series. *The games are against some Big Sky teams (Montana, Montana State and E. Washington), Gateway (W. Illinois), Southland (Sam Houston St.,McNeese St. and NW LA St.), and Patriot League (Lehigh). *These are the four top conferences in I-AA in my opinion. *

Any thoughts???

BisonMav
06-03-2003, 03:21 AM
And South Dakota State would be a season ending Dakota Bowl or something like that?

Bison_Kent
06-03-2003, 03:29 AM
I missed SDSU and N. Colorado but was just basing a schedule on the opening dates on those two sites and the fact that Montana will be on the second half of the home and home with us. Neither N. Colorado nor SDSU were included on these lists. I am sure we will be playing those two teams as well for real. This was just to show that a non-conference schedule could very well be done and done effectively.

100_proof_grizzly
06-03-2003, 03:54 AM
Bison Kent:

"The games are against some Big Sky teams (Montana, Montana State and E. Washington), Gateway (W. Illinois), Southland (Sam Houston St.,McNeese St. and NW LA St.), and Patriot League (Lehigh). These are the four top conferences in I-AA in my opinion.

Since when has the Patriot League elevated itself into the top four? There is going to be some A-10 and SoCon fans very upset over this.

BisonMav
06-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Posted by: 100_proof_grizzly Posted on: Jun 2nd, 2003, 9:54pm
Since when has the Patriot League elevated itself into the top four? There is going to be some A-10 and SoCon fans very upset over this.

100_proof_grizzly,

Who would you say are the top four conferences in I-AA? The Southern Conference would be on the list I am sure. Georgia Southern 6 National Championships.

Bison_Kent
06-03-2003, 03:24 PM
100 Proof,

I agree with you that the A10 and Southern Conferences are probably better then the Patriot. I missed that one. The Patriot probably would be ranked behind these two.

JBB
06-04-2003, 12:14 AM
The ranking of the conferences was only an opinion. Maybe 100 proof should explain himself a little bit. We are all new to this glorious world. Why isnt the patriot league on par with the rest? I know the BSC is the best beyond any reasonable doubt, but really, why disagree with the opinion of BK as a proxy for other nameless fans?

100_proof_grizzly
06-04-2003, 01:36 AM
To answer all the questions regarding the strongest conferences, there isn't one that is head and shoulders above the rest (we're not going to get into the A-10 vs SoCon debate).

The top conferences (in no particular order) are the A-10, Big Sky, Gateway, SoCon, and Southland Conferences. The reason for this is that 80% of all national championships were won by a representative of those leagues (I am including Youngstown State as a Gateway member even though they were independent when they won their 4). Also teams from those conferences continually make deep runs into the playoffs each year and make noise on a national level. The schools in those 5 conferences consistently have shown the most commitment to I-AA football and have the best facilities and fan following.

I would say that there are two other "tiers". of conferences. The second tier would include the MEAC, SWAC, Ohio Valley, Ivy League, and the Patriot league. Lehigh fans will brag about their upsets in the playoffs for the past few years, but in most years the schools of this group are first round cannon fodder (Lehigh is good enough to earn a at-large berth in the playoffs--I see no need to give the conference an automatic in case Lehigh gets upset). I believe that there is a reason that the Ivy League and SWAC don't participate in the playoffs. Of this second group, only Lehigh, Florida A&M, Eastern Illinois, and Eastern Kentucky have any history of success.

The final "tier" of I-AA is the non-scholarship level of football. The NEC and the Pioneer league are examples of this style of football. At least they get to play for the Sports Network cup but otherwise aren't worth mentioning.

Bison Kent:
I didn't mean it personally when I was asking about your inclusion of the Patriot League in your top four. It's that when you put the Patriot League in the same sentence with any of the big 5, it is like someone comparing the your NCC with the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference. I hope that this answers some of your questions.

Bison_Kent
06-04-2003, 01:55 AM
100 Proof,

I realized my mistake as shown in the earlier post. I think I mistook the Patriot for the A-10. I agree totally with your assestment of the conferences based on the national championships and deep playoff runs.

However, with Lehigh's run in the playoffs, you would have to say they would be a good opponent for NDSU. They have won in the I-AA playoffs and probably the Patriot is the 6th best conference after the Big 5 because of Lehigh mainly.

This is fun to start talking about I-AA teams and who the Bison might play. JBB's idea of keeping an independent schedule might be more inviting then the proposed new Western Conference. Fans would see at least the same quality of teams or most likely better teams. Cal-Davis, N. Colorado, and SDSU seem to be the only real inviting teams in the new Western League. Southern Utah and the two other California teams (Cal-Poly and St. Mary's). Those top three teams will most likely be playing us any way but we can add Big Sky, Gateway, and other top I-AA conference teams to our schedule to begin our I-AA journey.

I know I was at first in favor of this league but how inviting is having St. Mary's or S. Utah coming to Fargo? I would really rather see a team from a conference we might possibly get into in the future or a top I-AA team then these lower, medium ranged scholorship teams.

JBB
06-04-2003, 01:58 AM
It answered mine. Thanks. Its a little confusing when you have non scholarship and scholarship leagues. I thought the Ivy was a non scholarship league?

100_proof_grizzly
06-04-2003, 04:01 AM
To my knowledge, I believe that the Ivy awards grants in aid to worthy athletes based on their academic prowess, rather than their athleticism. I can't really answer their athletic program questions. I do know that they want no part of participating in the I-AA playoffs. Some fans want them included in the playoffs (same with the SWAC) for more recoginition and broader appeal of the playoffs. I believe that things are fine the way they are and we don't need those two conferences (they both have had trouble in competing with schools from playoff conferences) to add legitimacy to the HIGHEST LEVEL OF NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL.

100_proof_grizzly
06-04-2003, 04:11 AM
Bison Kent:

For your first years in I-AA, I wouldn't set your sights on the McNeese St's, the Youngstown St's, or even the Georgia Southerns or Appalachian St's to fill out your schedule. I feel that for a program such as yours which will have to show it belongs to the fans should have a schedule based on home and homes with the I-AA independents (N. Colorado, S. Utah) to possibly get some wins while having a few games (like the series with Montana for example) with high level teams to use as a measuring stick. For the next 3 years, you will find it very hard even to get road games at McNeese and N'Western St. as you had posted let alone get a home game against W. Illinois (why you would want to play those thugs is beyond me). At Montana, we wind up paying for games against St. Mary's, Cal-Poly and S. Utah when it comes to playoff time. Those schools kill our RPI which is why you will have a hard time scheduling high level teams until you have at least established yourselves. Some schools such as McNeese St. which has had trouble filling out their schedule is a possibility, but be patient as other opportunities will show. I wouldn't worry about your schedule though as I know the independents will help you as well as the Big Sky and I'm sure that N. Iowa should be good for a home and home. Good luck in your ventures and I hope that you enjoy the ride!