PDA

View Full Version : USD AD Resigns

SDSUFAN
06-21-2003, 11:48 AM
USD made an offical press release yesterday that Higgins had resigned effective July 3, 2003. This move asks several questions in my mind. The Yankton Press and Daily Dakotan says Higgins wishes to persue new challanges. Hmmm, is this a graceful exit, or was he forced out.
The big thing that has set back USD is a law suit just recently settled where some former coaches that were fired by Jack Doyle, Higgins's predecessor had not followed proper procedures. USD lost and has settlement damages to deal with. I dont know how much, but I understand the Board of Regents are very upset with USD right now, especially since money for higher ed is scarce. Whether Higgins has culpability in this matter I dont really know. The law suit was settled in May, I believe and it went to trial with publicty in the Argus Leader.

Here is the Yankton paper article.

Web posted Saturday, June 21, 2003

Higgins Steps Down As USD Athletic Director

From P&D Staff Reports

VERMILLION -- The University of South Dakota announced Friday that Dr. Kelly Higgins has decided to step down from his position as Athletic Director, effective July 1, for personal reasons. Higgins will remain at the University and the athletic department as a special assistant to the Vice President for an interim period working on compliance and facility issues, as well as assisting in the transition to a new athletic director. Higgins may also take on a role in the HPER department as an assistant professor if needed during this interim period.

Under Higgins' leadership since 1998, the athletic programs have seen considerable success including 12 North Central Conference Championships, over 120 All-Americans, several individual national champions, and over 80 All-NCC performers. There have been four NCAA postgraduate scholar recipients, several teams have received Academic All-American designation and more than five top-10 NCAA DII national championship team finishes.

Higgins has also been responsible for a number of successful initiatives including improved funding for women's athletics, the founding of a corporate sponsorship program, development of a sports medicine partnership with Sioux Valley Hospital, starting three new women's sports (golf, soccer and tennis), departmental reorganization and facility renovations inside and outside the DakotaDome.

According to University President James W. Abbott, "Kelly's contribution has been considerable since joining the University. Kelly brought a deep knowledge of athletics, national experience and a wide network of friends and colleagues to the U."

"Kelly brought that level of professionalism that maybe wasn't there before and we're grateful for that," said Greg Redlin, Vice President for Finance and Administration.

Higgins is looking forward to pursuing new challenges. "We've come a long way as a department since I returned to USD in 1998, and we have accomplished much in that time, but it's time for me to focus on new opportunities. It has been a tremendous five years. The coming months will provide me with an opportunity to spend more time thinking and writing about the profession. My focus will be on the complex issues surrounding athletics rather than rushing off to the next meeting."

The University will conduct a national search for his replacement. The athletic review committee appointed by President Abbott several months ago will be asked to broaden the scope of their duties to identify the leadership qualities required to lead Coyote Athletics into the future. Once the committee has made its recommendations a national search for a new director will commence. Redlin will assume the duties of Athletic Director on an interim basis effective July 1.

Though the move by Higgins was sudden, the University will not rashly plug in a replacement.

"It took us completely by surprise; we're just digesting the information," said Redlin. "We're just planning for the future as professionally as we can to keep the department running as smoothly as it has; we've got a course in mind and we are going to stay that course."

Redlin also stated that USD will be content to continue its athletic competition at the NCAA Division II level.

"We've had great success and we're very happy as a Division II school and we're looking forward to even stepping up in the future in Division II," said Redlin.

"We'll be a winning team," added Redlin. "We're very confident about our future."

All Contents ©Copyright Yankton Daily Press & Dakotan . Please read our Privacy Policy. Comments or questions? Contact the webmasters at The Yankton Daily Press & Dakotan .