PDA

View Full Version : Direction of DII

tony
07-15-2003, 02:40 AM
DII gets some new members within the next couple of years:

Florida Gulf Coast, four campuses of the University of Puerto Rico (Bayamon, Cayey, Mayaguez, Rio Piedras), Goldey-Beacom College, Green Mountain College, Holy Family College, North Greenville College, Nyack College the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, and Central State of Ohio.

The Puerto Rico schools would be great travel destinations for basketball. The rest of them aren't anything to get excited about.

... Hey my wife just told me that a North Dakota tourism commercial came on so I ran out and, sure enough, there it was. Kind of cool to see the home state on NYC TV for something besides blizzards and book bannings.

Bison_Kent
07-15-2003, 03:10 AM
Central State of Ohio was in DII and played football. NDSU beat them in the 1983 title game and in the semi-finals in 1986. Why did they move down?

tony
07-15-2003, 04:46 AM
They moved up and down a lot. They had money troubles. They could really become a dominant football school in DII though. Their other sports are very good already.

BisonInTexas
07-15-2003, 03:38 PM
As I recall, the lower academic requirements of NAIA were a factor too - at least that's how they spun it - "More opportunities for disadvantaged kids to get a college education."

Tony is right, they will be a power in DII.

I remember the '86 game against them well. Billy Joe and his team marched into Dacotah Field with their helmets held high over their heads and left with their tails between their legs after they were thoroughly dominated by a great Bison team.

P.S. I saw the ND commercial as well here in TX. Made me a little homesick...

Craig

JBB
07-15-2003, 04:09 PM
They did nothing until the BISON reserves were on the fiield late in the 3rd qtr.

I dont believe they are running the commercial here in Minnesota there then.

BisonMav
07-15-2003, 04:47 PM
I remember watching the 1983 game on TV. The QB was very flashing, tassels on his shoes etc. I think Charles Thompson, the Oklahoma QB that got in trouble for drugs, ended his career at Central State also.