PDA

View Full Version : DI a sure thing for NDSU, not so sure for SDSU

Bison_Kent
07-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Here is an article in the Forum today stating that NDSU is almost 100% certain of going to DI (not that we had any doubts). SDSU might not go this up coming year but would be moving soon.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=36551

JBB
07-11-2003, 06:20 PM
I had a few doubts. I remember Dr. Chapman, at the very begining of this, saying if you have a provisional year and after that things dont seem to be working out you can always stay right where you are. You have nothing to lose.

At times during the conference struggle and all I thought maybe his hinting might be a foretelling.

I liked the sounds of this article. Dr. Taylor seems very optomistic about the conference deal and the money. I alos thought that SDSU sounded positive but for them its a question of timing.

I think they are waiting for a key study to be completed. When that's done, and forgive me if Im wrong, later this summer, we should hear an announcement from SDSU. I doubt very much they are going to hang back.

In a lot of ways they are in a better situation than NDSU. We have Fargo, true, but they are larger, close to Sioux Falls, have as much past history and tradition as NDSU, and from a sports perspective have BB as the #1 game in town with a lot of DIA exposure already under their belts.

In my opinion this is the right thing to do for both Universitys. Im sure Alien Technologies, a large company that has choosen Fargo as its home and NDSU as its partner, noticed this.

This was no small announcement. This company is going to provide Wall Mart with the technology to eliminate bar codes and use micro chips instead. They are going to be located in the new NDSU Technology Park, the new buildings located just west of the FFD. Not only is the park a money maker and huge asset for NDSU, its also a great place to park for football.

Bison_Kent
07-11-2003, 07:01 PM
JBB,

Actually NDSU is larger in student population by almost 1500 students. I think NDSU last year had around 11,300 students where as SDSU had around 9,800.

But I do agree that SDSU has just as much of a chance as NDSU but their decision to go DI was about 6-8 months after NDSU's. This might delay SDSU by a year to reclassify to get funding in order and all the logistics taken care of before making the jump.

SDSUFAN
07-11-2003, 08:36 PM
SDSU AD says in the article that we are going but its a matter of when. *Financially, we may have to wait a year or two and the formation of the football conference and acceptence into the Mid Con *or another conference. Once there is some signs of certainty that these things will happen, then its a green light.

I agree we seem to be a step or two behind NDSU in getting this entire process done. *We stood and watched NDSU too long, but were in agreement in spirit with your move. Of course this is all hindsight now and not intented to be critcizm of the SDSU Administration. This whole process takes time and careful consideration.

I been hoping that we would make our move in 2004-05, but as JBB said an anouncement from SDSU will be made some time in the next 60 days.

I was surprised Kolpeck did not mention the 3 year commitment *that the NCC passed this spring. *Since it does not affect NDSU, I can see why he did not comment on that. He was writing for the NDSU fans and not SDSU fans.

I noticed at the NCC website they have a click for minutes, but you have to have a password to get in so I assume these minutes are not a public record.

*The Brookings Register is kind of lame right now without a sports editor. The one guy that teaches at the Middle school and writes sports part time named Rod Thomsdagard is very anti-D1 so he has used his column to bad mouth the move still in a recent column. *

The Sioux Falls Argus, is still treating Augie,USD and SDSU on a eqaul basis in terms of coverage. Chris Solari is the writer that covers SDSU and I expect he will have an article once there is a offical press release.

Gene Taylor has it right in that SDSU is kind of on a bubble for year 2004-05, but not going this year will not mean that we wont go in 2005 or there after.

As Jeff reported the conversations with D1 conferences will continue and its a matter of "when we go D1' *rather will *than "will we go D1AA". *The latter question was answered last winter in December.

tony
07-11-2003, 08:47 PM
A lot can change in a year so it's nice that NDSU has this next year to manouveer. This story did confirm something that I was unsure about - DII teams can offer scholarships to more than 85 football players but DI teams can't. This would explain why more players than usual *may* have been losing their scholarships.

Edit: this is TOTALLY off topic but...

Alien hasn't chosen Fargo yet, JBB. They are still in the process of playing all the possible locations against each other to see which one offers them the best package of tax breaks, loans, and cheap labor. I don't have any inside information so I'm speculating. That's how things typically work though.

It is definitely an interesting technology and Alien Technology is just one of three companies that I know of that are working on it. I'd imagine that if they want to compete in this market, they're going to have to build a plant pronto.

WYOBISONMAN
07-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Off Topic as well........

I have been doing some reasearch for work regarding those microchips that are replacing bar codes. *It is incredible technology that is for sure the wave of the future. *What a fantastic coup if Fargo and NDSU can land this. *Best of luck!!

(Yes, it may be hard to believe, but WYOBISONMAN does have a real job!!!!)

Bisonguy
07-12-2003, 05:22 AM
Staying on the OFF-TOPIC track:

The commercial for WDAY-AM's Hot Talk on Monday has guests Gov. John Hoeven and Joseph Chapman to discuss "Alien Technologies is coming to Fargo". That sounds a little more certain than "Alien Technologies might be coming to Fargo". If NDSU lands this Alien Technologies gig, it will work well with the $52 M Defense Grant, mostly devoted to nanoscale technology.

SDSUFAN
07-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Check today's Forum, Aliens is coming to Fargo. I am not so sure this is off topic as this company means more jobs for Fargo-Moorhead and more fans for NDSU. The part of the story that interest me is the ripple effect that this company may have for the entire upper midwest. That is support companies to Aliens could also relocated to this area.

Brookings has been working on something similar, but so far all that has been snagged is a credit card center, but I am sure other things are in the works. I know of one person who is working on making I-29 a techological corridor from Sioux Falls to Grand Forks.

tony
07-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Well, I'm sure glad to be wrong about this one! I wonder why that Forum was still reporting it as still up in the air yesterday.

Of all the things NDSU has done since I graduated, the tech part is the most promising. Sure, not everything will pan out but I love NDSU's approach to things: "we might not succeed every time but we're going to give it a heck of a try."

Schemer
07-12-2003, 05:46 PM
I've talked to the Chair of the NDSU Department of Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering...my old department....and he says it's basically a done deal. An annual payroll of $55million. Bam! How about that?

Man, is it just me, or is NDSU moving faster than ever. We're on track to hit 12,000 students before expected, and I can't see how being aligned with Alien Technologies will hurt with our reclassification (maybe some get upset when we use that word) in Carnegie Research status. I'm sure UND's just pissed. Why live in Grand Suck, when you can live in Fabulous Fargo? *tongue in cheek*

My thought it why would a manufacturing company want to come to a town where the University (UND) is only concerned about design...actually that would be the only thing said university is 'capable' of (I use that term loosely) *in walks NDSU* You all may not know, but NDSU is only one of 4 universities in the entire region (NDSU, UMD, Iowa State, SD Tech) that has Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering) I guess if you would consider ISU and SD Tech 'in our region' Hell, the U of M doesn't even have it. It's an option in Mechanical Engr! FYI

....about that comment earlier, I had to take a little jab at our rival

But do not fret.......I should be getting my football season tickets soon.....then....all will be good in the world. Til next season.

Bisonguy
07-12-2003, 08:14 PM
Well, I'm sure glad to be wrong about this one! I wonder why that Forum was still reporting it as still up in the air yesterday.

Of all the things NDSU has done since I graduated, the tech part is the most promising. Sure, not everything will pan out but I love NDSU's approach to things: "we might not succeed every time but we're going to give it a heck of a try."

tony,

It was because the announcement came yesterday afternoon.

89rabbit
07-19-2003, 05:38 PM
Getting back to the D I issue, I agree with SDSUFAN it is only a question of when. South Dakotans are conservative by nature, however their seems to be an unstoppable momentum building. Sure there are some doom and gloom guys out there. Folks who hate change, but can't see that D II and the NCC are already changing and will never be the same again. These people don't have enough commitment or energy to truly change the direction that we are heading; they will take pot shoots at us from the sidelines. That being said I also sense that SDSU is committed to NDSU and joining a conference together (selling ourselves as travel partners) so I think we will move sooner rather then later, probably stepping on a few toes along the way, if that is what it takes.

Now to the question fo what conference should we be in. I like most feel that the BSC would be the best fit. It meets our needs both in termsof sports offered and outlook. That being said it sounds like an affiliation with the BSC is a little ways off (by the way the BSC is kind of a weak sister when it comes to Basketball).

I feel that joining the Mid-Con, although not our first choice makes the most sense. I beleive that the Mid-Con would like all of the former NCC teams to join (UNC as a travel partner for Southern Utah, and SDSU & NDSU as travel partners). By moving up to 12 schools, it allows the conference to move to a divisional format (probable East/West). This would help them cut travel costs and allow and provide other benefits. I believe that from a timing standpoint (which is a much bigger issue for SDSU than NDSU, admittedly)now that they have a new commissioner in place (he took over officially on the 14th of July), the Mid-Con will be able to give us what we need. A committment that they do indeed want us in a timely manner. A quick check of the Mid-Con's history shows tons of schools using it as a spring board to bigger and better things (many D II schools making the switch). This is a conference that has gone through, and will continue to go through, a lot of changes. If the BSC is ready for us in three, five, ten years we can make a switch. That being said, who knows what will be going on in college athletics by then. The important part is we will be DI and in a position to make that move.

Another factor to take into consideration is that we will be able to compete right away. I live in suburban Kansas City (yes, I have some selfish reasons for wanting to join the Mid-Con) and have seen several of the schools play. We are ready today to compete!!!!!! Also, so I don't paint too dim a picture, the Mid-Con have some bright spots as far as competing nationally goes. Valparaiso (VALPO) has drwan national attention for its men's basketball, and Oral Roberts is a baseball contender every year. With the additon of three well-funded, well-run, and well-supported programs we could help turn this conference into a powerful mid major (and surely be ready to move if and when we chose to).

The Mid-Con and our yet to be named new football conference will allow us to step up to DI (I-AA) and be competitive right away while working toward our ultimate goals. We will be able to show the naysayers that we have been DI schools, for some time, trapped in DII bodies. They will also be able to see the changes that are coming for DII (who knows the Sue and the Mangy Dogs, I mean the Coyotes, may see the error of their ways). These are my thoughts on the matter. Does anyone else have an opinion or more details on this?

Go State!!!

Bison_Kent
07-19-2003, 06:35 PM
I agree with your assestment. The Mid-Con would be a great start for non-football sports to start the DI journey. However, the Big Sky would be my ultimate goal. It gives both NDSU and SDSU the conference for all major sports. (To note, the Big Sky does not currently offer either wrestling or baseball as championship sports.) But football and basketball are the elite sports which make the most money and also have the largest fan base. Also, NDSU and SDSU fit better with Montana, Montana State, and Idaho State rather then Centerury, Oral Robers, and Chicago State.

89rabbit
07-19-2003, 07:01 PM
For sure the Big Sky is a better overall fit. I also like the stability of the conference. It is a place that we could ultimately call home.

Go State!

Bisonguy
07-19-2003, 08:58 PM
My biggest knock against the Big Sky is no home for wrestling, baseball, or softball (A sport NDSU has good success in at the DII level).

NDSU would also have to add men's/women's tennis. UND may see this as program duplication, and try to stop NDSU from adding tennis.