PDA

View Full Version : Portland State Struggling Finacially in DI

Bison_Kent
07-16-2003, 02:13 AM
Here is an article from the Oregonian that states Portland support has gone down in the past years. I am bringing this up wondering how long the Big Sky will live with these kind of numbers from them.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1058011019327120.xml

WYOBISONMAN
07-16-2003, 05:58 AM
Kent...this would be a good question to ask them on E-Griz. Ask them if they wouldn't like us a lot more that the luke warm program at PSU....

BisonInTexas
07-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Now I understand why Taylor has met with the Troy State AD and not the Portland State AD when he was looking for lessons learned in the transition.

Craig

tony
07-16-2003, 10:13 PM
Portland's main problem is that they're not a flagship in their state, they don't get any press coverage, and there is a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar. Add to this that they play on a small, rented, off-campus field and their basketball arena just plain sucks and you've got some problems. This is not to say that Portland State has no advantages over NDSU because they do. There's a lot more money in Portland, travel is easier, and they're in a tremendous recruiting area. However, I'd much rather be in NDSU's position no matter what the division.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
07-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Tony is right, I'll take Fargo or Brookings/Sioux Falls for dedicated fans any day, because were the only show in town. Many smaller D 1 schools struggle in large metro areas but thrive in small communities like Bozeman, Missoula, Starkville, MS. etc...
Both NDSU and SDSU will have more support (attendance) than most 1AA schools and significantly more in Basketball when compared to other mid-major basketball conferences.
P.S. I love this website-I'm a huge Jacks fan trapped in Dallas, TX.-This keeps me up to date.

Bison_Kent
07-17-2003, 02:04 AM
Welcome Texas_Jacks_Fan,

I agree with you and Tony. Portland is also in the hunt for the Montreal Expos baseball franchise.

BisonInTexas
07-17-2003, 03:32 AM
Tony is right, I'll take Fargo or Brookings/Sioux Falls for dedicated fans any day, because were the only show in town. Many smaller D 1 schools struggle in large metro areas but thrive in small communities like Bozeman, Missoula, Starkville, MS. *etc...
Both NDSU and SDSU will have more support (attendance) than most 1AA schools and significantly more in Basketball when compared to other mid-major basketball conferences.
P.S. I love this website-I'm a huge Jacks fan trapped in Dallas, TX.-This keeps me up to date.

I agree. If I were a UNC fan, I would be worried about the similarities to Portland State. I don't know what the plan at UNC is, but some of their facilities (football seats something like 7000) definitely need to be upgraded for DI. They are also going to be fourth in line for DI schools in CO. I know they have an endowment set up to pay for the increased scholarships, but publicity is going to be tough to come by to sell their program.

Good to know there are some other board posters in my area! Welcome, Texas_Jacks_Fan.

Craig

Texas_Jacks_Fan
07-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Thanks Craig,
UNC averaged only about 850 fans per basketball game, last year, and they play in a pretty marginal arena. I really dont see that changing a whole lot unless a new arena is built but I have not heard of any of those plans. I also dont see much more football recognition coming their way with CU and CSU and AFA just down the road, not to mention Univ. of Wyoming an hour and a half away. Outside of Greely, I'm not sure many in Colorado will notice a new D1 program. In North and South Dakota, Everyone will notice the change.
I think this is just another example of the advantages that we have in the Dakotas in moving our programs up to D1. I think over the next few years the BSC may recognize that the success of the Montana schools can probably be repeated with SDSU and NDSU while the West Coast members continue to struggle to find their niche.

BisonMav
07-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Peter Coors and Dick Monfort could probably help finance any facilities UNC needed. After that they have to get the fans in the door, and that will be tougher in Colorado, with all the competition.

89rabbit
07-18-2003, 12:53 AM
I agree with you Texas Jacks Fan. It is hard to get noticed when you have est. D I programs near by. Here in Kansas City, UMKC would kill for a Frost arena crowd. They have the University of Kansas 40 min. away on the west and MU 2 hours to the east.

We (the Dakota State Schools) will have an advantage over some (if not all the other schools) that are wanting to move up.

SDSUFAN
07-21-2003, 06:12 PM
I am not surprised by this article. I heard something to this affect last fall, but it came from a knowledgeable source and he did not give specifics as are outlined in the article. Sac State was also an member of concern. and they have not done much until Wanless got their and their football progam is behind UCD in quality.

This crap about the Dakotas not having a media market is a big mistake and maybe the other members of the BSC are beginning to smell the coffee. What good is it to play in Portland and Sacremento when only 6500 people show up for the game? The Dakotas with the loyality of fans is worth a lot more than some single coverage in Sacremento.

Sac_State
07-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Right! You tell 'em SDSU fan!!

WYOBISONMAN
07-22-2003, 10:30 PM
SDSU is right and I bet that Sac State struggles too..... Face it, Sac State is not even in the same league as NDSU when it come to being a "major" institution in the state.

Sac_State
07-23-2003, 01:54 PM
True, sacramento has more people living in the metro region than the two dakota's have in the entire state combined. Plus, CSUS has more students than probably all the dakota state schools combined.

JACKGUY
07-23-2003, 02:13 PM
Well than based on population of both the Metro and
the University you have no excuses for such a small attendence average. I doubt Sac State can match the enviroment of a South Dakota State Basketball game or NDSU Football game.

89rabbit
07-24-2003, 12:07 AM
True, sacramento has more people living in the metro region than the two dakota's have in the entire state combined. Plus, CSUS has more students than probably all the dakota state schools combined.

I will take our Million + folks who love our schools over your Million + who don't know you have a school any day!

Texas_Jacks_Fan
07-30-2003, 05:49 AM
I was looking into attendence figures for basketball last year, I'm pretty sure that NDSU drew 8,000 + against UND last year, SDSU drew 8700 against USD and we have been over 8,000 + to numerous times to count over the years. (This in Brookings SD population 16,000)
On Sac St.'s web page they boast about selling out all of their Big Sky games in a gym that seats 1200 (this in Sacramento CA. population 1.5 million plus) I dont know about you, but I'll take the Dakotas...........

The_Sicatoka
07-30-2003, 01:55 PM
The UND Sioux fan is going to quietly step in here and defend the honor of "the Dakotas."

2003 average mens basketball attendance (from the NCAA):

SDSU - 3491
North Dakota - 3423
NDSU - 2868
USD - 2533

Sac State - 1099

The lowest average of "the Dakotas" was better than half of the Big Sky (Idaho State, Northern Arizona, Portland State, Sac State) in mens basketball in 2003. Considering the NCC averaged more per womens basketball game than the Big Sky, I'm pretty sure the numbers would look quite the same there as well.

Geez, did I just help NDSU and SDSU? :o :)

JBB
07-31-2003, 03:33 PM
Probably not, unless your stats are actually true. I havent double checked them but, on the siouxsports board you have misrepresented attendance statistics before. Specifically, you quoted older attendance figures knowing perfectly well that the most current did not support your position. I take anything you say with a raised eyebrow.

WYOBISONMAN
07-31-2003, 06:03 PM
I find those basketball stats very interesting. I did not know that the attendance was that poor in the Big Sky. Thanks for the information!

Hammerhead
08-11-2003, 10:10 PM
The average attendance for the entire Big Sky Conference was only 3,131. Source (http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/files/428.pdf)

One can only hope that NDSU draws more fans in D-1. *It seemed like there were more butts in the seats during the 80s when I was in school and the team was winning more games.

89rabbit
08-12-2003, 06:20 AM
Good stuff, and backed up with facts that can be checked, thanks for the post. Looks like SDSU and NDSU are ready for the big time.

Go State!

GoAgs
08-13-2003, 09:50 PM
SacStateguy,

Lets just give you a little refresher on bonehead math:

2868>1099.

43-0=The number of points UCD scored in the 2001 Causeway less the number of points scored by Sac State.

89rabbit
08-13-2003, 11:56 PM
SacStateguy,

Lets just give you a little refresher on bonehead math:

2868>1099.

43-0=The number of points UCD scored in the 2001 Causeway less the number of points scored by Sac State.

GoAgs,

It is very kind of you to help those less fortunate then yourself. *How much longer befor SacStateGuy graduates from remedial math? * ;D

Go SDSU!