PDA

View Full Version : 60 scholarships

tony
09-18-2003, 05:59 PM
Somebody else posted this (maybe here even, I can't find the original).

Anyway, here's the link for reference Fargo Forum, NDSU has some time to schedule UND by Jeff Kolpack (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/?id=40428)

In this article, it mentions how NDSU is sniffing around Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas State and Kansas for games as early as 2007, but NDSU needs to have 60 scholarships for three years before the game. The article says that NDSU would have to add 24 scholarships next year.

Do you think NDSU will really do that? I'm trying to decide whether this will cause a glut in scholarships all expiring in the same year. I suppose NDSU could bring in transfers to spread things out.

OTOH, if NDSU can find 24 guys worthy of a full scholarship then *holy cow* I've got no problem with that part of the deal :)

BisonMav
09-18-2003, 06:19 PM
A team has to average 60 scholarships over a three-year period in order to be counted as a legitimate opponent for a I-A school. Schools going through the reclassification process are allowed to raise their scholarships by 25 a year.

The key word is "average" 60 scholarships. Does that mean get to 60 and not drop below, or increase to 54 in year 1, and then have 63 for year 2 and 3 to average 60 scholarships?

BisonInTexas
09-18-2003, 06:37 PM
The article says that NDSU would have to add 24 scholarships next year.

Do you think NDSU will really do that? I'm trying to decide whether this will cause a glut in scholarships all expiring in the same year. I suppose NDSU could bring in transfers to spread things out.

OTOH, if NDSU can find 24 guys worthy of a full scholarship then *holy cow* I've got no problem with that part of the deal :)

I imagine if they do have the funding, the scholarships will be not all be dumped into one class. They would be spread out with current partials going to full-rides (I imagine that there are a lot of partial rides at NDSU right now), JuCo transfers and a slightly larger recruiting class. Also remember that even if they did use a disproportionate amount on the freshman class, those scholarships aren't guaranteed and could be yanked after 2 years if the players aren't performing well enough to get on the field. We saw some of that this spring when Bohl came in.

Craig

met1990
09-18-2003, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure if this has been pointed out yet but I don't think SU can go straight to the 63 scholarship max when they move up. I believe they can only go up so many the first then and the second year they get 63. Can anyone verify this? I heard it from the UC Davis sports writer at the football game.

dnk
09-18-2003, 07:54 PM
There will be a significant increase in the number of
full scholarships between this season and next season.
That is the word that is going around. No number
has been attached to the "significant increase".

BisonMav
09-18-2003, 08:24 PM
At the Alumni events I have attended, it was stressed that the 63 scholarships would be reached ASAP.

dnk
09-19-2003, 01:16 AM
It sounds like they will have 63 scholarships in place
in five years. The biggest increase will be between
this year and next .

Open your wallets.