PDA

View Full Version : D1 facilities

Bisonfan1234
10-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Obviously the football dome is a great facility.

Isn't it about time the knocked over the BSA and Dacotah Field?

Also, what do you guys think about the tennis courts? We don't have a tennis team and i think they would be much better served as parking spaces.

In fact i think they should make that whole thing parking and then build a new BSA where the grass practice fields are.

What do you guys think?

One last thing, I think they should get rid of the old dacotah home stands around the track and soccer field. They just stick out horribly and they will NEVER be filled to their capacity. They should just build some small metal stands instead of having those giant eyesores there.

Bisonguy
10-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Where would the FB team practice if the new arena is built on top of the practice fields? *The tennis courts won't be torn down until we know what conference NDSU will be in. Some (Big Sky) conferences require a tennis team.

There are plans to remodel the BSA as part of the just announced $74 fundraising campaign. This will allow NDSU time to come up with the necessary funds for a new BB arena. Gene Taylor is very aware of the condition of the BSA, and wants something done.

roadwarrior
10-13-2003, 01:51 AM
I dont see anything wrong with the old south stands at the soccer field. All of the wood used for seating was replaced when the stands were moved. At a large track meet, having that seating capacity is used not only by the spectators but by the participants.

The BSA is only 30+ years old and will be there for many decades in the future. The inside will be redone in the near future with all new seating and more.

JBB
10-13-2003, 01:26 PM
The BSA was packed before the UNO game. The BISON feed went well and there were a lot of students there. I was fortunate enough to eat when the Gold Star Band played. They sounded great.

Bisonfan1234
10-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Where would the FB team practice if the new arena is built on top of the practice fields? *The tennis courts won't be torn down until we know what conference NDSU will be in. Some (Big Sky) conferences require a tennis team.

There are plans to remodel the BSA as part of the just announced $74 fundraising campaign. This will allow NDSU time to come up with the necessary funds for a new BB arena. Gene Taylor is very aware of the condition of the BSA, and wants something done.
The FB team would practice in the Dome of course. I don't see any need to remodel the BSA, just build a new new that is updated with the only the facilities that we need. For example i think the BSA has a swimming pool while we don't have a swimming team. So it just takes up space and requires money to keep open.

Tennis is not a sport. I would rather have NDSU get mens/womens hockey inside the fargodome vs watch a tennis team ANY day. At the least hockey would break even while tennis would be in the red.

Bisonfan1234
10-13-2003, 04:30 PM
I dont see anything wrong with the old south stands at the soccer field. *All of the wood used for seating was replaced when the stands were moved. *At a large track meet, having that seating capacity is used not only by the spectators but by the participants.

The BSA is only 30+ years old and will be there for many decades in the future. *The inside will be redone in the near future with all new seating and more.

I just think they look ugly is all. They must hold a combined 8-10 thousand people...like that much would EVER come to see the Bison soccer or track teams...even if they were the best in the world. Probably the best thing they do is block the wind...which if we just planted treets around the track would so the same thing.

*Only* 30+ years old???? I'd like to see what you consider old.

NDSU_grad
10-13-2003, 07:15 PM
NDSU only gets the FargoDome for a limited number of dates, which I presume are pretty filled up every year. Therefore, they would have to pay the city of Fargo to practice in the dome. I took a phy-ed with a Bison player back in the mid-90's, and he said at that time it cost something like $8000 to rent the dome for a practice. If it was up to me, I'd make Dacotah Field an indoor practice facility, build a new basketball arena and make the BSA an all-purpose facility. Of course that small issue of money always comes up :).

BisonInTexas
10-13-2003, 07:34 PM
The FB team would practice in the Dome of course.

A single field is not practical for conducting practices. You need at least 2 fields to be able to do offensive and defensive drills, as well as allow the kickers practice. Nor is conducting all drills on artificial turf conducive to a healthy team. Grass is a lifesaver on the legs.

Craig

Bisonguy
10-13-2003, 10:19 PM
It also helps the FB team to have other surfaces to practice on. While the home games are indoors on turf, some road games will be outdoors on grass or outdoors on turf. It helps to be able to practice on the surface and conditions that will be present at game time. Dacotah Field should be resurfaced so it can be an outdoor turf practice surface.

bisononce
10-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Bisonguy. You are right on. The Mighty Bison need more than the grass fields for practice. (It is not really an option to regularly practice in the dome). Coach Bohl wants better facilities including proper locker rooms and multi surface fields. He wants Dacotah Field's outdoor turf option. Dacotah must be saved, and updated. Some in the administration want to tear it down for a new BSA addition. Contact Taylor and demand Dakotah be preserved, and some common sense be used in arranging facilities.

Bisonfan1234
10-14-2003, 04:43 AM
IMO the only reason to save Dacotah is for nostalgia reasons and you really are sacrificing better facilities for this old field which needs to be tore down.

Bisonguy
10-14-2003, 04:59 AM
What better facilities are being sacrificed? Is there a $50 million dollar BB arena donation contingent on the tearing down of Dacotah Field?

I say lay down new turf on Dacotah Field, fix up the BSA, and patiently fundraise for a new arena. That's what the baseball team did, and now they have one of the nicest stadiums in all divisions.

bisononce
10-14-2003, 05:09 AM
There is no sacrifing of facilities to save Dakotah. It is there, in a great strategic location and can be useable for multi purposes for minimal dollars. There is ample space for any addition to BSA.

Bisonfan1234
10-14-2003, 02:10 PM
What better facilities are being sacrificed? Is there a $50 million dollar BB arena donation contingent on the tearing down of Dacotah Field?

I say lay down new turf on Dacotah Field, fix up the BSA, and patiently fundraise for a new arena. That's what the baseball team did, and now they have one of the nicest stadiums in all divisions.

The have one of the nicest stadiums because the city of fargo built it for the Redhawks. ::)

Dacotah field is better used as parking space. The same goes for the tennis courts.

If they want to keep the BSA for indoor sport practice then they should gut the entire thing and make it one giant gym with a huge track, a million bball hoops, and a weight room.

bisononce
10-14-2003, 04:37 PM
Bison 1234: ???? ??? ::)
Anybody got any views on Dakotah/ BSA that are borderline thoughful?

Bisonfan1234
10-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Sure,

The old visitor stands at dacotah need to be tore down. The field, if they keep it, should be replace with sprinturf, the tennis courts would be paved over making the "R" lot extend all the way from 15th to whatever that street is south of the dome. Also, there is a bunch of unused space where the home stands used to be. That needs to be either turned to parking or built apon. The BSA needs to be either retrofitted with permanent stands all around the permanent bball court. But where would indoor track, bball, etc practice? That's why they should build a new bball arena somewhere and turn the BSA into a larger version of what it mostly is....a big gym.

Hammerhead
10-14-2003, 09:57 PM
My wish list would be a new basketball arena with the ability to add an ice sheet underneath. Even if NDSU never gets a hockey team, it might come in handy for ice shows or other hockey leagues.

As 1234 said, the BSA could still be a big gym used for everthing else it currently does except for basketball. I never liked the permanent seating with the obstructed views on the far ends.

Bisonguy
10-14-2003, 10:37 PM
The have one of the nicest stadiums because the city of fargo built it for the Redhawks. ::)

Newman Outdoor Field was a joint venture between NDSU, the city of Fargo, and the Redhawks. NDSU had the option of building a mediocre stadium or waiting a couple years for something really nice. They decided on the latter, and I'm glad they did.

FYI- The Fargodome was also an NDSU/city of Fargo joint venture. ::)

There's no doubt that the BSA in poor shape, and NDSU needs a new BB arena. Gene Taylor and the Administration all recognize this. The problem is funding. Would you rather build a brand-new half a$$ arena, or fix up the BSA for the short term and build a nicer arena when the funds are available? I'm pretty sure if someone walked into Gene Taylor's office, handed him a check for $50 million, and asked him to build a brand new basketball arena, he probably would do it. The problem is, nobody has written the check.

Who knows? Maybe another semi-pro BB team will come to Fargo and want to go in on a new arena. Maybe the city of Fargo and the Fargodome authority want to build a smaller (8,000 seat) arena attached to the Fargodome for smaller concerts and possibly basketball and *cough* hockey.

BisonMav
10-14-2003, 11:25 PM
The Fargodome isn't the best venue for Basketball, but they have played there before with the minor league teams. Virgil Hill even fought there. Is there anyway to make the dome more basketball friendly?

Bisonguy
10-14-2003, 11:44 PM
The Fargodome isn't the best venue for Basketball, but they have played there before with the minor league teams. *Virgil Hill even fought there. *Is there anyway to make the dome more basketball friendly?

Build an 8,000 seat arena attached to the Fargodome.

Bisonfan1234
10-15-2003, 01:33 AM
Newman Outdoor Field was a joint venture between NDSU, the city of Fargo, and the Redhawks. NDSU had the option of building a mediocre stadium or waiting a couple years for something really nice. They decided on the latter, and I'm glad they did.

FYI- The Fargodome was also an NDSU/city of Fargo joint venture. *::)

There's no doubt that the BSA in poor shape, and NDSU needs a new BB arena. Gene Taylor and the Administration all recognize this. The problem is funding. Would you rather build a brand-new half a$$ arena, or fix up the BSA for the short term and build a nicer arena when the funds are available? I'm pretty sure if someone walked into Gene Taylor's office, handed him a check for $50 million, and asked him to build a brand new basketball arena, he probably would do it. The problem is, nobody has written the check.

Who knows? Maybe another semi-pro BB team will come to Fargo and want to go in on a new arena. Maybe the city of Fargo and the Fargodome authority want to build a smaller (8,000 seat) arena attached to the Fargodome for smaller concerts and possibly basketball and *cough* hockey.

My whole point about the baseball stadium is that fargo built it for the redhawks...not the bison. If, like you said, a semi-pro bball team comes to fargo...then perhaps the city will go in on one.

Bisonguy
10-15-2003, 02:31 AM
My whole point is that it's a shared facility by the Redhawks and Bison. It sits on NDSU land and NDSU has a vested interest in the stadium. It primarily is a Redhawks venue, but it allows NDSU to have a great home field. That's much like the Fargodome has more non-NDSU events than Bison games. There have been talks of a smaller venue addition built onto or near the Fargodome. That would make a great home for Bison basketball, and won't require as much money for NDSU to raise as a new arena that's is exclusively NDSU property. The Fargodome and the city of Fargo could help pay for the costs.

BisonBizzo
10-15-2003, 03:06 AM
I have a questions?????

What happened to hockey, is it still in the air?
I want hockey at NDSU... Is the issue of hockey a decision in revamping the BSA or building a new one? Would there be scheduling problems if basketball and hockey are in the same venue? I heard that the Fargodome's contract with NDSU is to provide hockey, where they might have to build a new arena for it to happen. So, if NDSU was to add hockey, does the Fargodome right then and now have to act on providing it inside the dome or elsewhere?

Bisonfan1234
10-15-2003, 05:04 AM
I'm open to a fargodome expansion, a fargodome 2 so to speak. The only place i could see this expansion take place however is to the south. To the west is a street, to the east is the expensive entrence, and to the north i think there is less space than to the south but it might work as well.