PDA

View Full Version : The Bottom Line:  The Rivalry

ndsubison
10-20-2003, 07:19 AM
I got banned from the suck boards so my only choice is to post this here. I hope the suck fans read this because their board is so full of crap it's pathetic.

1) I have followed the rivalry for 10 plus years and love it. Given the direction of Bison FB, I could care less if our rivalry with und continues. I would much rather create new rivalries with Montana, Georgia Southern, Western Illinois, Youngstown State, etc.
2) the scholarship advantage NDSU would have over und would not be evident for 2,3, even 4 yrs. To think that the Bison want to win the Nickel back or tip the scales in our favor by playing the suck is utterly ridiculous. NDSU has waaaaaay more pride than that.
3) as a ND resident, I would like to see the rivalry continued for the next two years, but not after that. After that, it would feel like playing Crookston :o
4) hockey aside, und's inferiority complex is showing up in a big way, all the way from Roger Thomas down to the people who post on their board. They can't stand the fact that NDSU is moving on to greener pastures while und is 5 yrs away from scheduling DAC-10 "powerhouses"
5) last but certainly not least, let's STOP blaming each other for the end of the rivalry. We have our reasons for moving up and they have their reasons for staying put. We didn't end the rivalry by going I-AA and they didn't end it by staying DII. Stop the blame. Let's lead by example and move on! GO BISON!!!!

GFBison
10-21-2003, 03:56 AM
Tonight on WDAY radio they gave the UND viewpoint that the pressure on UND to continue the series is unfair. *Roger Thomas said on Saturday lets be fair, remember its NDSU that's moving up not UND.

Well lets be fair, where is the pressure comming from? *

Answer:
It's coming from the UND Boosters, Students, Alum, etc. *To Mr. Thomas I say, for the majority of Grand Forks there is only one football game, otherwise Grand Forks only cares about H-O-C-K-E-Y. Face the fact: Without the Bison Game there is no Sioux football.

KTF
10-21-2003, 05:05 AM
The sioux have nothing to play for now if they don't renew the rivalry. I look at GFBison's thoughts this way. Have you ever tweaked out a team on Madden 2003 or any version? If so you realize that after about 5 games with a totally dominating team, the game becomes no fun for the player. Translation to UND if they stay in D2 and become a powerhouse, they are going to get bored with the game because the lack of challenge. The fans are not to gong to waste their time and money ($16 a game) to see UND play Crookston Bemidji, etc...

Bottom line UND needs this game more than NDSU!

BisonMav
10-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Posted by: KTF Posted on: Oct 20th, 2003, 11:05pm
Bottom line UND needs this game more than NDSU! *

Once NDSU is has the average 60 scholarships over 3 years completed. *The Bison can play a money game with a Big 10, Big 12, etc. *Divison I teams pay from $100,000 up to $500,000 to have teams come in a play. *I don't like the fact that a I-AA Bison team will play a DII UND team. *If NDSU plays in Grand Forks, thats like giving UND a meal-ticket. *There will be some DII football opponents during the first few years of the transition, but they should all be home games.

As for blame for the rivalry ending. If NDSU's move to I-AA is causing the rivalry to end. I am fine with that. I would rather see a I-AA NDSU than see the rivarly continue. When if UND and NDSU are at the same level, I-AA or DII, then I would like to see the rivarly continue.

JBB
10-21-2003, 02:13 PM
I hope the sue sox stay put in D2. I hope they are off the schedule. I dont think we should be playing them at any sports. I am not opposed to Dr. Taylor sending them contracts. It was the right thing to do. If they have decided there is just too much at stake and they have to look out for themselves I hope they do it.

On the other hand there is nothing to be gained for NDSU to continue playing them. A DIAA team has everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing a D2 club. Its in our best interests to stop courting them and find some other schools to play.

In D2 we wouldnt go home/home. Over the years that made it hard to find teams to play. Now, I think the home/home is going to be the way to go. It wont take us long, especially if we are able to build a competitive team, before the suck are long forgotten.

wfduck
10-21-2003, 02:55 PM
screw sue. who cares let them play the school of the blind. i'd rather see any d1aa team in fargo than beg sue to do SU

tony
10-21-2003, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't go that far. The rivalry is a big thing in the state. Just because Bakken, Schultz, Glas, and sometimes even Thomas come across as petty twits doesn't mean that NDSU should react to them in kind.

Offer them a fair contract. If they sign it, fine. If they don't, that is entirely their own choice as long as they are acting for the right reasons.

JBB
10-21-2003, 11:27 PM
I believe thats where we are right now. If they dont sign it, and I hope they dont, NDSU can start looking out for their own future. If und is so concerned about their future in the D2 playoffs because of a DIAA team on their schedule so be it. That paints them heavily in a corner and they should remove their advertisements for DIAA football competition. Its going to be very hard for them to schedule any other DIAA school. But then it really wont be.

It wasnt hard to sick the law school on the city of Fargo. It wasnt hard to gouge for $27.50. It wasnt hard to pander to Englestad. It just isnt hard for them. Sucking up to the bastards, and you can move this to smack if you want, gets you nowwhere except maybe a pat on the head and puts you in a position to be exploited.

It was only 2 years ago they made a serious effort to shut down NDSUs school of business!! Yea, maybe some of the BISON faithful lumbered over to the fence to lick their hand at their tailgating but that is very dangerious and self destructive behavior. Get rid of them. Get them off the schedule. Get them out of our way as much as possible. We can fill stadiums with much better teams. Associating with them demeans us.

We did the right thing by extending the contracts. But, we have nothing to gain by playing a D2 school. If we are going to play a D2 school lets give somebody new a chance. Maybe a guarantee to NWMSU or Valdosta or GVSU. But please lets get the und chairs on the table and get the suck out the door as fast as we can.

Tatanka
10-22-2003, 01:26 AM
I think this whole thing just proves what we've been saying about the "man" with two first names. *He's a jackass and an idiot. *

To even suggest on statewide TV that it was NDSU that is somehow stopping the rivalry by moving up is insane and it insults the collective intelligence of sports fans (Bison and Sioux, assuming some intelligence in Sioux fans) everywhere. *I think people are seeing him for what he is, and if they're not, there's probably significant anal-cranial proximity on their part.

The fact that Glas and now Roebuck have their panties in a bunch just further emphasizes that this whole decision has nothing to do with fact and has everything to do with jealousy and resentment.

Just my $0.02

originalsiouxrock
10-23-2003, 08:42 PM
I hope the sue sox stay put in D2. *I hope they are off the schedule. *I dont think we should be playing them at any sports. *I am not opposed to Dr. Taylor sending them contracts. *It was the right thing to do. *If they have decided there is just too much at stake and they have to look out for themselves I hope they do it.

On the other hand there is nothing to be gained for NDSU to continue playing them. *A DIAA team has everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing a D2 club. *Its in our best interests to stop courting them and find some other schools to play. *

In D2 we wouldnt go home/home. *Over the years that made it hard to find teams to play. *Now, I think the home/home is going to be the way to go. *It wont take us long, especially if we are able to build a competitive team, before the suck are long forgotten.

If u dont want SU to play the sioux, then quit complaining that the sioux dont wanna play SU