PDA

View Full Version : Bison to the Gateway?

BisonMav
10-29-2003, 06:22 PM
This article was on the I-AA board. If Western Kentucky leaves the Gateway for the Sunbelt, does NDSU pursue the Gateway Football Conference, or continue with the purposed Great Western Conference?
Sunbelt Raids I-AA (http://www.sportsbusinessnews.com/index.asp?story_id=30679&session=H87BsMX6PtIZL4DvI OVjG9JfMO)

NDSU_grad
10-29-2003, 07:24 PM
That's interesting. Is Western Kentucky a member of the SunBelt for basketball? I'm too lazy to look, but I think they are, which may be why they are a logical choice to move up to the SunBelt for football. I'm sure the Gateway would want eight members, and I would think NDSU would be a logical choice. Also, I've heard Marshall is joining either the Big East or C-USA (all this realignment stuff is starting to confuse me). Will the MAC look to I-AA to replace them?

Bisonguy
10-29-2003, 07:32 PM
The Gateway wants an odd number of members, preferrably nine (?)

somebison
10-29-2003, 07:54 PM
Gateway conference =8-1 (western kentucky) +2 (two teams from the dakotas?) =9 and odd number

Looks good to me!!!

JBB
10-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Id rather start the new conference unless something could be worked out for other sports in conjunction with joining the Gateway.

WYOBISONMAN
10-29-2003, 09:17 PM
I am still a supporter of trying to get into the BSC or going with the Great West. I must admit I am biased living in western Wyoming.....I would love to go to a Bison game with out traveling so far.

JACKGUY
10-29-2003, 09:25 PM
I would prefer the Gateway if we could then get in the Missouri Valley Conference for all other sports. Both NDSU and SDSU have history with UNI and that would be nice regional matchup. I think are chances of getting
into the Missour Valley will be tough. They currently have 10 teams in the conference and maybe would consider going to 12 splitting into two divisions. I still think the potential of this new football conference is unlimited. I think immediately it would become one of the top 1AA conferences if all proposed members join. Being a jack fan I'm very sensitive about where our basketball programs will be playing as this is our premier
sport and want to see us gain membership in the most respected conference possible. The Missouri Valley with such programs as UNI,Drake,Creighton and Southwest Missouri State would be wonderful opponents on the basketball side and allow our fans to travel and see some games in the area.

NDSU_grad
10-29-2003, 09:54 PM
The way I see it NDSU and SDSU can form kind of a symbiotic relationship. Our strong tradition and attendance figures for football can carry alot of weight, as can SDSU's tradition and attendance figures for basketball. If we continue to partner and promote ourselves as a package to a conference, our possibilities are endless.

Charger
10-29-2003, 10:00 PM
When I emailed the Gateway Comish last year about expansion to the Dakotas this is what she said
The expansion of the Gateway with either of the Dakota chools is most unlikely. I would concur with your assessment of uality of these programs, but with Gateway's membership stretching east to Western Kentucky and Youngstown State, the geography just doesn't work. Also, if we expand it will be with a single team to bring our total membership to nine. Ten is not a good number for a football league.

If Western Kentuck leaves they might have to relook at the Dakotas. They want 9 teams so why not us?

JACKGUY
10-29-2003, 10:05 PM
I agree with you completely. When you start looking at some of the schools available to these conferences that have been raided its comical. With the exception of the DII label the package that SDSU and NDSU can offer a conference is very impressive. I still think we are stonger together as a package rather than independently trying to gain membership to a conference. I think SDSU in Basketball, NDSU in football
and both schools in some of the non-revenue sports will
hit the ground running.

wfduck
10-30-2003, 10:32 PM
word around campus is the Conference is locked---just dont want to leak it out until the ink is dry

KTF
10-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Duck care to divulge?

JACKGUY
10-30-2003, 11:46 PM
You have my curious up. Is it a package deal with NDSU and SDSU? I've sensed a certain smugness from the SDSU AD as of late and wonder if they have secured a deal in principal when will it be announced.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
10-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Allright Duck... Give it up, Thats way too interesting of a tease.

Bisonfan1234
10-31-2003, 12:11 AM
My guess is it's the Big Sky. I think they've finally given up their hopes of getting Idaho back and are willing to take on NDSU and SDSU.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
10-31-2003, 03:15 AM
Bison1234,
I hope your right, Thats an option that would be great for both STATE U's. The bottom line is I would think that several conferences would take a interest, both universitys can bring a lot to the table and will be a valuble addition to any conference.

Bison_Kent
10-31-2003, 03:24 AM
I would think that this rumor is not true. I am not trying to be a pestimistic but I would think conferences would what until teams from their conference leave and the dust settles before they announce any expansions or additions.

I hope I am wrong but I just don't see how the expansion of any conference would happen now.

BisonMav
10-31-2003, 03:29 AM
Maybe the new Western Conference is a done deal?

Bisonguy
10-31-2003, 03:30 AM
*hands the duck a fifth of Jim Beam*

"So, what's going on in the conference hunt?" ;D ;D

wfduck
10-31-2003, 11:01 AM
*hands the duck a fifth of Jim Beam*

"So, what's going on in the conference hunt?" ;D ;D

"polishes off his last shot of wild turkey"
Big Ten

tony
10-31-2003, 02:16 PM
Probably somebody heard that there was really good news about the DI move (the provisional period probably getting reduced) and somebody else took that to mean NDSU had a conference invitation.

It just doesn't seem likely that conferences would have a meeting this time of year.