PDA

View Full Version : Mid Con Expansion??

Bison_Kent
11-03-2003, 02:46 AM
Here is an article from the Sheveport Times. Centenary is the newest member of the Mid Con and it is looks like the Mid Con would like to have a travel partner for all its members. This would include Southern Utah. Northern Colorado might be that team.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/html/2CFD21DD-67BA-4B72-B97B-3F222BD71020.shtml

89rabbit
11-04-2003, 04:07 PM
I think UNC being added for Southern doesn't hurt SDSU or NDSU because I think the Mid Con is going to go to 12 teams and split East/West. *However, if the Mid-Con wants to add a travel partner for Centenary we will be out unless one of the current members leaves. *Lots of action in the conf. re-alignment arena right now, who knows where the Bison and Jacks will end up. *

Any good rumors coming from Bison land?

Go SDSU!
Go NDSU!

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-04-2003, 04:13 PM
89rabbit,
over on the "Bison to the Gateway" thread "The Duck" says were all going to the Big 10. I guess we can really start fundraising for our new stadium expansion plans now ;D
Texas Jack

89rabbit
11-04-2003, 04:21 PM
If "The Duck" says it is so then it must be. I better get my check book out. ;)

Go SDSU!

Charger
11-05-2003, 02:36 AM
I don't think UNC would be considered a travel partner for SUU. They aren't exactly with in driving distance of each other, over ten hours according to mapquest.

wfduck
11-06-2003, 12:14 PM
If "The Duck" says it is so then it must be. * I better get my check book out. * ;)

Go SDSU!

big ten now takes credit cards

89rabbit
11-06-2003, 03:18 PM
That is outstanding news! ;)

Go SDSU!
Go NDSU!

JBB
11-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Now that the Mid-Con has a commissioner expansion is a possibility. Its possible new schools could be added and some may even leave. UNC would like to get in.

Expansion emphasis is on travel partners so they can get two games for the price of 1 round trip flight and a bus ride. SDSU and NDSU dont help with any of the existing schools, or UNC, but do present a nice travel package.

If no members leave here are some possible pairings and the outlook for NDSU/SDSU.

Western Ill, UMKC, Chicago State, Valpo, Oakland University and IUPUI could be arranged into some kind of travel partners. 5 or 6 hrs max with most trips less.

Its not too big of stretch to pair up Oral Roberts in Tulsa, OK and Centenury in Shreveport, La (7 hrs).

Southern Utah is in Cedar City, the SW end of state. This is the toughest fit. At about 10 hrs, UNC is a tough go. Its closer to Los Angeles, about 7 hrs. San Francisco is about 12 hrs.

I guess if they wanted 12 members they could bring in NDSU and SDSU, about 4 hrs.

89rabbit
11-13-2003, 05:20 PM
12 is nice because you can break into two Div. (East/West) You would play each team in your Div. twice (home & home) every year and you would play each team in the other Div. once (home & home every other year). This would cut down the travel cost big time.

Their has been talk that Denver would like to join, they match up well with UNC and you let Southern Utah go. Their have also been talks of letting Chicago State go and picking up someone new. To many options to worry about right now.

Go SDSU!
Go NDSU!

JBB
11-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Heres how a Greeley - Cedar City road trip might look:

Fri: Leave Fargo by plan arrive Greeley
Game: ends and depart 9PM
Greeley to SLC: 6 hrs
Sat: Leave SLC 10am arrive Cedar City 2PM
Game: ends at 9pm fly out of SLC 2am

It just seems unlikely that they would let anyone go unless the member has inquired. Has a conference ever kicked a member out?

89rabbit
11-13-2003, 06:06 PM
Not sure if the Mid-Con has ever kicked someone out (I know, they have threatened Chicago State because of their lack of commitment to Athletics) I was just passing along somethings that I had heard, here in the heart of Mid-Con country, *I personally think Southern will stay. *

I think the most likely outcome for the Mid-Con is that UNC, SDSU and NDSU will all be invited. *However, there is still a lot of shuffling to do, so things could change.

Go SDSU!
Go NDSU!

Bison_Kent
11-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Yes, Southern Utah actually has one of the nicest faciliites in the Mid-Con right now. Chicago State is said to play in a very old arena and are very reluctant to even talk about upgrading (from what I hear).

Here is the S. Utah arena link:

http://www.suu.edu/athletics/centrum.html

All the Mid-Con arenas are small, around 5000-6000 in capacity. Even the largest name in Valparaiso is small. Here is a link to the Valpo arena:

http://www.valpo.edu/athletics/index.php?a=t&nid=18

Bisonfan1234
11-13-2003, 07:38 PM
The new "Bison Sports Complex" Arena will hold approx. 15000.

;)

NDSU_grad
11-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Heres how a Greeley - Cedar City road trip might look:

Fri: *Leave Fargo by plan arrive Greeley
Game: ends and depart 9PM
Greeley to SLC: 6 hrs
Sat: *Leave SLC 10am arrive Cedar City 2PM
Game: *ends at 9pm fly out of SLC 2am

It just seems unlikely that they would let anyone go unless the member has inquired. *Has a conference ever kicked a member out?

Didn't the Big East just kick Temple out for football?

wsuwarrior
11-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Didn't the Big East just kick Temple out for football?

Yea, they did.

89rabbit
11-17-2003, 09:04 PM
The Mid-Con has a new (better) looking web site. The new commissioner seems to be having a positive effect on the leauge. I also noticed that Oakland beat the Horizon's preseason favorite at the Dell BCA Classic. They play Xavier tonight for the Championship of the tourney. Also UMKC takes on the Gophers tonight in the Pre-Season NIT. Here is the web site.

http://www.mid-con.com/

Go State!

IowaBison
11-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Oh Boy! A new website, let's join that conference.

89rabbit
11-17-2003, 09:15 PM
Oh Boy! A new website, let's join that conference.

Back off Jr. *>:( *Just pointing out some info. that some might find interesting. *I thought that was what we do on Chat boards. *

P.S. did you read the part about early quality wins and some national exposure (UMKC vs Minnesota in round one of the Pre-Season NIT). *That is what the post is really about. *

IowaBison
11-17-2003, 09:28 PM
You're right 89rabbit, nothing negative intended. While I enjoy the discussions as far as possible conferences. I seriously wonder if NDSU will be an all sport indy for a few years causing talk about a which future home would be best to be rather mundane.

NDSU_grad
11-17-2003, 09:57 PM
As a note, Oakland (Michigan) beat Illinois-Chicago the other night. Illinois-Chicago got some votes in the AP poll. Maybe the Mid-Con has potential?

somebison
11-17-2003, 10:02 PM
I see from their website they have baseball and softball which the MVC and Big Sky don't have. *I am still a fan of the Big Sky however, I think we could have a great rivalry with both montana teams in all sports

89rabbit
11-17-2003, 10:08 PM
As a note, Oakland (Michigan) beat Illinois-Chicago the other night. *Illinois-Chicago got some votes in the AP poll. *Maybe the Mid-Con has potential?

Illinois-Chicago is the Horizon's Pre-season favorite to win the conf., while Oakland is the Mid-Con's. *That was a nice head to head battle (Horizon vs Mid-Con). **Another match up that should be of interest to most on this board is Montana vs Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Nov. 22nd. (Big Sky vs Horizon). *Should be fun to watch how things unfold the season.

Go State!

Bisonfan1234
11-17-2003, 10:49 PM
I see from their website they have baseball and softball which the MVC and Big Sky don't have. *I am still a fan of the Big Sky however, I think we could have a great rivalry with both montana teams in all sports

Except for baseball and softball!!

MVC , Horizon, and Mid-con all have baseball and softball....Big Sky is the only conference foolish enough not to have them.

89rabbit
11-18-2003, 02:05 AM
At the half:

UMKC 27 *(Mid-Con)
Minnesota 33 *(Big 10)

Oakland 35 *(Mid-Con)
Xavier 35 *(A-10)

I only bring this up to show that if we end up in the Mid-Con it won't be so bad.

Go SDSU!
Go NDSU!

89rabbit
11-18-2003, 04:42 AM
Final Scores:

UMKC 67 *(Mid-Con)
Minnesota 78 *(Big 10)

Oakland 66 *(Mid-Con)
Xavier 76 *(A-10)

I only bring this up to show that if we end up in the Mid-Con it won't be so bad.

Go SDSU!
Go NDSU!

IowaBison
11-18-2003, 04:44 AM
An impressive showing by the boys in Mid-Con.