PDA

View Full Version : DI-AA football differences

tony
11-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Since NDSU has really moved from DII to DI-AA now, might as well talk about the differences that will affect the team.

Obviously, the big one is that NDSU can now offer up to 63 scholarships spread out among a maximum of 85 players.

Another big one is that NDSU will be provisional for up to four more years (I still hold out fainthope that they'll shorten this provisional period).

DI-AA also limits the roster size to 90. From the NCAA manual:

17.11.2.1.2 Limit on Number of Participants—Division I-AA. [I-AA] In Division I-AA football,
there shall be a limit of 90 student-athletes who may engage in practice activities prior to the
institution’s first day of classes or the institution’s first contest, whichever occurs earlier.

I'm not sure how the roster size rule will affect NDSU's team. This last year saw of lot of guys transfer so that helped but NDSU still has 91 or so guys on the roster who are eligible to come back next year. NDSU wants to be at 56 scholarships by the start of next season (a bump of 20). I wonder how big NDSU's recruiting class will be? 15? The days of signing 30 kids are over, that's for sure.

wfduck
11-19-2003, 02:35 AM
That said, I dont' necessarily think a roster limit of 90 is much of a problem. I'd prefer quality over quantity. Yes you may miss out on a walk-on that matures into a valuable contributor, but the part of the change is taking fewer chances on projects.

I'm not much at math, but without splitting as many scholoraships you can't afford to put down full-ride on a wing and a prayer.

just some random thoughts---