PDA

View Full Version : Gene Taylor Speaks About Next Year

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 12:28 AM
Gene Taylor was on the 6 o'clock WDAY news talking about next year, here's the short version:

The interview, in it's entirety, will be on Prime Time Sports on WDAY AM tonight (show starts at 6:30) the news stated that Taylor said a lot more in the interview.

3 games are for sure next year: UNC, UCD, and St. Mary's- all three will be away games, with corresponding home games in 2005. Talks are in progress with other I-AA's (GSU, MSU, WIU), but the schedule will be a mix of DII/I-AA opponents. He hopes to have 5 home games.

Scholies will be at 56 next year, 61 the following, and 63 the year after. A I-A opponent (Minnesota or Iowa State) hopes to be scheduled in four years.

A "Transitional Bowl" has been talked about with the others in DI purgatory and may happen next year.

IowaBison
11-18-2003, 12:30 AM
A transition bowl sounds like a great idea, as would a post-season game/match in other sports, anything to encourage Bison fans.

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 12:47 AM
Edit- Gene Taylor's interview will probably be on the 7:00 hour.

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 03:29 AM
Other tidbits from the full interview-

Georgia Southern, Western Illinois, Portland State, and Montana State are still targets for possible home/homes. UNO and UND are still possibilities for next year.

The AD of UCD is in on the "Transition Bowl" planning. It would have to be played within the time frame of the playoffs, with no more than eleven regular season games.

Tim Miles has discussed a best of seven series with SDSU. Also, there are some Florida schools that may help make a "Transition Tournament" for all the BB teams in transition. Sounds like the transition schools are pulling together in sports to help make it a little easier. ;D Makes the move up look even better. I feel bad for any schools that may move up later, and don't have the support of others going through the transition.

The AD's of the proposed GWC are looking at conference bylaws, and possible schedules.

The Big Sky door is supposedly still open. Gene stated that most of the conferences around the Big Sky are moving to 12 members, and the Big Sky should seriously consider it. If they lose one school now, they are in jeopardy of losing an autobid, and cannot have a conference championship. Gene also said the Mid-Con may get more serious now that they have a commish.

Talks are in progress for moving the football offices and operations to the Fargodome. It would be part of the BSA renovation. The Fargodome said they are open to the idea, but talks at NDSU have just begun.

The move to average 60 scholies is a major priority. The goal is 56, 61, 63. Women's scholies also need to be raised quickly, and 80% of scholies need to be fielded by 2005.

Gene Taylor and Lynn Dorn will be on Prime Time Sports next Monday to answer listener questions.

roadwarrior
11-18-2003, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the update, Bisonguy.

89rabbit
11-18-2003, 05:01 AM
I must say I am jealous about how much info you get from Gene. Fred has a different situation and our media outlets are very dissimilar, but I am still jealous. Gene is doing a great job and I am glad we are moving up together.

Go SDSU!
Go NDSU!

Bisonfan1234
11-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Gene sounds very gung-ho toward getting into the BSC. I hope he is prepared to drop the Baseball and Softball programs...

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Bison1234,
I am quite sure you will find another affiliation for those sports, We're in the same boat. I'm sure we can find a group of schools like the new wrestling conference where we both can keep playing baseball.

Bison_Kent
11-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Here is a list of all baseball teams sorted by Division.

Sacramento State of the Big Sky is an independent in baseball. Maybe NDSU & SDSU could join them in a conference along with a couple other Big Sky schools that will add baseball if we get in.

Being an independent in baseball would be a whole lot better then having football and basketball as independents. Scheduling baseball games will not be difficult. Look at next year, we are already playing Minnesota in that sport.

http://web1.ncaa.org/ssLists/sportByDiv.do?sport=MBA

JBB
11-19-2003, 12:59 AM
Gene sounds very gung-ho toward getting into the BSC. I hope he is prepared to drop the Baseball and Softball programs...

Why would you drop them? You could play as independents?

Bisonfan1234
11-19-2003, 05:09 AM
Now that i think about it, inde for baseball and softball isn't as bad as I first though.

Still not for the Big sky.

WYOBISONMAN
11-19-2003, 02:51 PM
I would think being ind. for Baseball and Softball would work fine. It is good to hear that the BSC may very well be open to additional discussion. That seems to be the first choice from most the Bison faithful I know.