PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Still a Possibility??

Bison_Kent
03-20-2003, 12:34 AM
It was reported on WDAY TV that 3 of the 8 current Big Sky schools would vote to let NDSU & SDSU into the conference. 2 schools were firmly against it and 3 were on the fence. IF the 3 on the fence can can be convinced of letting NDSU & SDSU into the conference, we might have the #1 conference choice.

I am just speculating that Montana, Montana St., and Idaho St. are the three in favor. The two against most likely are the two the farthest away in Sacramento St. and Northern Arizona. That leaves Weber St., Eastern Washington, and Portland St. to convince (in my estimation).

Bisonguy
03-20-2003, 12:44 AM
Bison_Kent

You type faster than I do ;). I think this is good news. They said NDSU was going to focus on pleading to the fence sitters, but if they could convince one of the opposed schools, it would probably get them in.

Bison_Kent
03-20-2003, 02:14 AM
I agree. *We have had a history of playing both Sac. St (just once in the playoffs 1988 ) and N. Arizona (8 meetings, last being 1981). *We could play N. Arizona as a non-conference game for many years. *Why couldn't we have them also in the conference. *

As far as (my fence) teams, Eastern Washington has never played NDSU. *Portland St. played NDSU for the 1988 D2 title game. * Weber St. played NDSU two years in a row in 1978-1979. *I think at least Portland and Weber could be convinced. *E. Washington might be a little tougher to convince. *

I think it is still very possible. *Lets all hope.

BisonInTexas
03-20-2003, 04:51 AM
What is the time frame for the Big Sky taking a formal vote?

Craig

Bison_Kent
03-20-2003, 06:18 PM
I am not sure when the Big Sky presidents are to vote on who might be expanded. Really, in NDSU's case, it wouldn't have to be until 1 from now (although, it would be nice to know one way or the other before). SDSU is in a harder situation. They have to have a conference before they make the move to I-AA.

BisonInTexas
03-20-2003, 08:59 PM
I am not sure when the Big Sky presidents are to vote on who might be expanded. Really, in NDSU's case, it wouldn't have to be until 1 from now (although, it would be nice to know one way or the other before). SDSU is in a harder situation. They have to have a conference before they make the move to I-AA.

I would hope NDSU has a conference home by the end of the year. Taylor stated last August when NDSU announced the move that if NDSU was not in a conference by August of this year, he should be run out of town.

Craig

Bison_Kent
03-21-2003, 01:36 AM
Texas,

You are right about Taylor's commitment to have a conference by the start of the football season. I think President Chapman's Montana State infuence might help the "on the fence" schools.

I just don't see the one problem that the seems to trouble the far west teams. It is making one trip per year to the Dakotas (assuming they would alternate between NDSU & SDSU) for football. And one trip for basketball where Sac. State and N. Arizona could travel together and play NDSU & SDSU on opposite weekend nights. It really isn't that much further then the Montana and Montana State. It requires flying in either case for those teams.

NDSU_grad
03-21-2003, 04:42 PM
I think I remember the far-off schools weren't as concerned about making the basketball and football trips as they were about volleyball, soccer and the other non-revenue sports the Big Sky sponsors. Whether these complaints are legitimate or not, I don't know.

JBB
03-21-2003, 04:57 PM
Its probably going to increase their costs, but they travel now. You will probably see a cost increase but upgraded competition. In football many of the BSC non conference games are less attractive opponents willing to give them a home game. Having one of the Dakota Schools in thier stadium every year would probably start drawing nice crowds (I know a BSC schedule would make a difference in Fargo) They may also discover that fan interest grows in some of the other sports too. I know it has at NDSU.

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 02:08 AM
Reviving an old thread:

On Prime Time Sports they made a nice point about the Big Sky. There's a huge movement now to make 12 team super conferences for the payout of a championship game. The Big Sky currently only has eight teams, and cannot have a conference championship. It would be in the Big Sky's best interest to expand to 12 teams. I believe that the official quote from the Big Sky's comment was "We are not looking to expand into the Dakotas at this time" Could this just be a bluff, in case NDSU or SDSU decided to drop back to DII? Both teams at the time of the quote were still DII, and still are currently. Could the song change once it is apparent that both schools will be full fledged DI schools? Didn't the Big Sky get burned by a DII school that said they were moving up, only not to once the Big Sky offered an invitation? Just some thoughts to ponder now that the season is over.

Bisonfan1234
11-18-2003, 02:53 AM
Hopefully they still hold true.

If i ahd a choice between independent and BSC...i choose independent for the sake of baseball/softball...as we will never get into a conference JUST as baseball/softball members.

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 03:05 AM
Just a thought..... Independent could work out well for baseball and softball due to the weather. Have more away games at the start of the season, and more home games when it gets above freezing.

somebison
11-18-2003, 04:18 AM
Just a thought..... Independent could work out well for baseball and softball due to the weather. Have more away games at the start of the season, and more home games when it gets above freezing.

I don't know about softball, but the baseball team plays 20-30 games on the road each year before their first home game, usually in early april, after that about 16 of their next 20-24 games are at home, many of which were cancelled/postponed etc b/c of weather. I wouldn't mind being an independent, but a chance to compete for a conference title would be nice as I don't see us being invited to the college world series within the next 10 years ::)

NDSU_grad
11-18-2003, 04:25 AM
Could you have a conference championship game in DI-AA without running into the playoffs? I thought this was why the SWAC did not participate in the playoffs.

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 04:32 AM
I think they have their game during the playoffs, instead of the last game of the season, as most conference championships are held. The Ivy League doesn't participate either. I think the SWAC could move their game up if they wanted, but they would lose a lot of $$$$.

IowaBison
11-18-2003, 04:42 AM
I think that we should take the first the conference that gives us an opportunity regardless of sports offered, given that no one else is seriously courting the Bison.

It will be much easier to schedule softball/baseball as independents than the same thing for all intercollegiate sports.

BisonBizzo
11-18-2003, 02:59 PM
In addition to the SWAC championship game, The SWAC also has the Bayou Classic, Southern vs Grambling in late November, which is televised nationally on NBC. I think that is the big $$$ incentive to not play 1AA playoffs.

89rabbit
11-24-2003, 02:13 AM
Here is an interesting story about our friends from Sac State.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/7837383p-8778010c.html?session=v6pjQU9D6TJUkYA9q08YCnUxrp

Go SDSU!

Go NDSU!

Bisonfan1234
11-24-2003, 03:23 AM
I whole heartly agree with that comentary. If it isn't making money (and in Sac St's case..losing a lot) then why keep it around?

A lot of Cal universities either don't have football or have gotten rid of it for a good reason...it doesn't make enough money.

SDSUFAN
11-24-2003, 03:40 AM
Way behind the scences is the Arnold factor. I dont know what Sac State gets in terms of support for athletics from the legislature. I am sure that they at least get maintence for facilitice assistance and possibly the coaching staff salaries come from state assistance. Thats what adds up to SDSU 26 percent from the South Dakota Legislature.

In general, the State of California is in very tough shape financially. Unless you are Rip Van Winkle, you know all about this. So I would tend to think, college presidents are really under the gun. Cutting sports may lead the presidents to get something else from Legislature in return. Kind of general speculation, but it has to be considered.