PDA

View Full Version : Mid Con Performance

Bison_Kent
11-30-2003, 11:08 AM
I just thought I would plug the Mid Con a little bit here (even though I would prefer the Big Sky).

I watched the Oakland (Michigan) game against #5 Missouri last night. Oakland kept right up with Missouri and lost by just 3 points at home. The game was broadcast on the St. Louis Fox Sports Net affiliate which I pick up in Kansas. Oakland looks like a very good team and by their performance in this game, could keep up with just about any team in the country.

This is just my take on the Big Sky vs. Mid Con debate (and if NDSU had a choice). If we want to be in a great football conference go to the Big Sky. If we want a better basketball conference go to the Mid Con. In my opinion, I would choose the better football conference as it is NDSU's signiture sport.

tony
11-30-2003, 05:16 PM
NDSU's "conference to be name later" would be a pretty darned good FB conference. I'd like men's basketball to become more popular. That's where NDSU has the most room to grow.

At this point, any conference would be a good conference.

JBB
12-01-2003, 10:11 PM
I actually like the Mid Con/Great West combo. It establishes a new Football conference that by all apperances should be very good and compete for all the at large spots that the BSC now takes. I would also expect that it would eventually qualify for an automatic. It would also put us in a premier BB conference that would establish NDSU as a doormat for a while but present us with a very big and exciting challenge. The cities we would visit are also very attractive for fan travel.

The BSC doesnt really offer any travel advantages, they seem like they have no interest in us and membership wouldnt really give us any advantages as far as football playoffs or BB tournament paticipation. Leave the BSC to und when they move up, if, God forbid, they ever do.

IowaBison
12-01-2003, 10:18 PM
The Great Western Conference would be good for NDSU and DIAA. It is also sure to piss off the BSC who will probably figure out too late that they could have had the cream of the crop, but instead will be sacraficing a playoff spot to one or more teams for eternity.

89rabbit
12-02-2003, 12:58 AM
How about Oakland Giving the # 5 ranked Missouri Tigers everything they wanted and more. The Mid-Con looks like it may be very strong this year in B-Ball.

NDSU_grad
12-02-2003, 01:28 AM
Right now the only possible benefit to the Big Sky is a shorter waiting period for postseason football. But if that remains at five years regardless of whether you're in an automatic qualifying conference I would prefer GWC/Mid-Con.