PDA

View Full Version : d2 McFeely is a chump

JBB
12-04-2003, 12:57 PM
I had to laugh at Mcfeelys column this morning. He can hardly contain himself. He has actually endorsed ed schultz and his policitcal views. And, when your buddies at und are lineing up their schedule be sure to ask Bemidji how many zeros on their check!

Does Mcfeely actually think that the the stinkers und schedules are going to give the whioux a free ride to the D2 playoffs, a series of games that will have little or no meaning in Fargo as of next season? Those d2 tomato cans are going to make them pay dearly for their ticket if they have any sense at all.

NDSU has to turn their back on d2 as much as possible. Its been obvious to me that the teams we are going to be playing next season will be DI-AA and d2 teams that have little or no playoff hopes. Our big games will be UNC, UCD and SDSU. Next year is our toughest year, lets suck it up and see what we get. There are dark days ahead, but you always start at the bottom.

BisonMav
12-04-2003, 01:06 PM
There was a post on the SUE message board, with the same sentiment as Mc"touchy"Feeley in the Forum. *I wonder if Mc"touchy"Feeley is that SUE fan? *Coincedence?

tony
12-04-2003, 01:38 PM
As somebody has already pointed out, UND's reasons for ducking DI-AA competition have varied dramatically. The SSI is just the latest one. Note that TAMUK got homefield this year and they played and lost to Portland State.

The main problem with DII is that every year they seem to try to make the playoff process just a little worse than the year before. After 15 years of screwing up, they've outdone themselves this year with the SSI (they don't even publish the ratings).

Suppose DII modifies or drops their gosh awful SSI, does UND resume the series? If the series resumes, UND fans and McFeeley would certainly have to agree that NDSU should not travel to Grand Forks because it's not in NDSU's self-interest.

...AND IT STILL DOESN'T EXPLAIN THE OTHER SPORTS.

Bison_Kent
12-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Tony,

Kingsville also played and beat a I-AA in Nicholls State. I still don't know why UND got the home field regardless if UNA played a I-AA team. They still went undefeated in DII play and UND had a DII loss.

BisonBizzo
12-04-2003, 03:02 PM
Why does it seem that UNDies have been rewarded for only playing a 10 game schedule. How can you compare a team that has played 10 games and no 1AA to a team that has an 11 game schedule with a 1AA game. I don't get it.

I don't know anything about these SSI ratings, first it is this regional bullshit ratings and now this. I think it has more to do with a little under the table, it has to be money, they can say what they want. Or they figure out that North Alabama has the championship game so some of the selection committee turned against them. I guess I would rather have the game played in North Dakota, but I just think N Alabama deserved it this year.

I agree with you Kent, I don't think 1AA games has anything to do with it, look at Kingsville.

mcfeely is just trying to get under people's skin, that is the type of writer he is. His point sucks and he sounds like an idiot today. The whole North Alabama playing a 1AA is an UNDies cover up to make them look better about what they are doing.

JBB
12-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Its the ban in other sports that reveals the true motivation behind unds decisons. There are no playoff implications in the other sports and football excuses are flimsy at best. I would like to see d2 chump address that.

Its time NDSU call the contracts we have presented back. Why would we want an association with a school that is so obviously out to do us harm?

Theres nothing left in d2 and as time goes by it will become more and more obvious. Its obvious now when the largest crowd in grand forks is 7,900.

Its going to be a lot different in the ncc next season. As different for them as it is for us. But for us it is a future that is wide open. For them it is more of the same.

Bison_Kent
12-04-2003, 03:31 PM
JBB,

I agree but I think the NCC won't be "more of the same". *It will be more of the worst and will only get further in the hole after the new scholorship limits come into play in a couple years.

BisonMav
12-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Divison II, formerly know as NAIA ;D

Bison7925
12-04-2003, 04:02 PM
When we look at the use of the SSI in awarding home games as well as who makes the playoffs, a good example is Bentley College.

They were jumped 6 spots in the final regional rankings to knock IUP out of the playoffs. They were awarded a home playoff game in which a huge crowd of 4400 was in attendance. Their schedule included DIII Plymouth State and had a Massey rating of 375 as compared to that of the mighty sux of 204 and UNA of 201 and NDSU's rating of 160. The sux's has come up lately due to their having to play non-Crookston competition of late.

My conclusion is that the DII selection criteria is a joke and is used more as a political tool than anything else.

uncbear
12-04-2003, 04:29 PM
We have a sports writer in Greeley who is whining around just like McFeeley. Actually, he is worse than McFeeley. Both times UNC had a loss this season he would write a big article about how they were overmatched and would talk about why I-AA is a bad idea and UNC can't handle it. When UNC won, there literally was not one article in the paper about it. Ya, this year kinda sucked without any kind of championship. But I had 5 big games to get excited for when we played I-AA's and 5 big games a year is about all we had in D-II also.

I remember after UNC won the 2nd championship and I read a columnist's article that said "UNC has now won two national championships and NOBODY CARES!" It didn't even make the front page of most newspapers sports sections. I would just like to say goodbye and good riddance to the Augustanas, Mankatos, and Winonas of the world. Once UND has been exclusively playing these weak teams for a while, their recruiting goes down and soon they will not be dominating the weak ones. They will be a weak school themselves. UND deserves its fate.

F*@! D2 and the Sioux!

runtheoption
12-04-2003, 05:05 PM
Reveren'!!

BisonInTexas
12-04-2003, 05:59 PM
Tony,

Kingsville also played and beat a I-AA in Nicholls State. I still don't know why UND got the home field regardless if UNA played a I-AA team. They still went undefeated in DII play and UND had a DII loss.

Kolpack's article in the Forum on Tuesday stated that UNA played a DII provisional and that was the main reason that UNA lost the SSI battle (it was a 1 or 2 point game for the win). I am really not sure where the idea that UNA lost the home game because they beat Jacksonville State is coming from. Just more spin from the North that McFeeley is buying into, I guess. Tony had it right on when he stated that even if you accept the flimsy excuse they are providing for football, it still doesn't explain the other sports.

I still want to know who is going to be UND's $27.50 game in 2 years....

Craig

Bison_Kent
12-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Even if the committe would throw out the DII provitional win and the I-AA win, that still means that UNA went 9-0 in the regular season against top DII opposition (Gulf South had 3 playoff teams). UND had a loss and played in what the D2 committee would classify as a weak conference since only one team (UND) got in from the NCC.

I just don't see no matter how you spin it why UND is hosting this week.

wfduck
12-04-2003, 08:07 PM
any prediction on how many Sue faithfull will show for the game?
7901?

BisonInTexas
12-05-2003, 01:14 AM
Even if the committe would throw out the DII provitional win and the I-AA win, that still means that UNA went 9-0 in the regular season against top DII opposition (Gulf South had 3 playoff teams). * UND had a loss and played in what the D2 committee would classify as a weak conference since only one team (UND) got in from the NCC. *

I just don't see no matter how you spin it why UND is hosting this week. *

I agree completely. I was just trying to point out that playing a DI-AA team was not the reported reason why UNA didn't get to host - it was the win over a provisional team. UND (and the media) is trying to point at this as the reason why UND shouldn't play NDSU (i.e. playing DI-AA teams is bad) next year while they are conveniently ignoring other facts (i.e. the SSI is only one of 8 criteria for playoff selection, more teams will be in the playoffs next year and the regional and national committees often disregard the index when making decisions).

Regardless, I am so glad that NDSU is leaving DII. The selection rules for the playoffs and hosting defy logic. Perhaps the home game in ND is a make-up call for the shafting that NDSU got a couple of years back? It wouldn't surprise me if the DII national committee didn't know the difference between UND and NDSU... ::)

Craig

Bisonfan1
12-05-2003, 07:52 PM
Bison In Texas - you just jogged something in my memory with your last sentence, didnt all the UND passes at Florence say North Dakota State on them last time they were there? Too Funny.

tony
12-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Along that vein, apparently UND is going DI next year. (http://www.thisweek-online.com/2003/December/5column.html)

somebison
12-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Along that vein, apparently UND is going DI next year. (http://www.thisweek-online.com/2003/December/5column.html)

Sounds like UND has an identity crisis 8) ... again

uncbear
12-05-2003, 10:00 PM
There is an article at in-forum.com stating that UND is looking at going D-I and that Dale Lennon is really wanting them to go D-I. Once UNC, NDSU, and SDSU pave the way with a new conference it will be really easy for them to slip on in to I-AA.

Since UND seems to be such sissies about this whole move to I-AA I want to say f@*! 'em, but the truth is, they would help out the GWC if they joined it. I have to say they should be welcomed with open arms into I-AA and then save their punishment for the football field.

I do miss the good ol' days of being able to slap them around like they deserve to be. I always liked being able to look on the schedule to see UND and know that we were assured at least one win that year.
I miss the Fighting Sissies and want to see them back on the schedule.

somebison
12-05-2003, 10:25 PM
I do miss the good ol' days of being able to slap them around like they deserve to be. I always liked being able to look on the schedule to see UND and know that we were assured at least one win that year.
I miss the Fighting Sissies and want to see them back on the schedule.

I like this guy

Bisonguy
12-05-2003, 10:25 PM
It will be a while before UND moves up, if they do. President Kupchella woudn't just have egg on his face, it would be an everything omelette ;D

JBB
12-06-2003, 01:07 AM
Sounds like UND has an identity crisis 8) ... again

Could it be any funnier? :D