PDA

View Full Version : New Conference Meetings

Bison_Kent
12-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Six of the seven teams are meeting today and tomorrow to discuss the new football only league. Here are a couple links to some newspaper articles:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=45512

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Mondayarticle3.shtml

Bisonfan1234
12-08-2003, 03:41 PM
While i guess i'm not completely opposed to going to the BSC, it seems like a very long shot to get in.

At least with the un-named/Mid-Con we're gartenteed to have a conference for a few years.

Hopefully we can use these conferences as stepping stones.

I want to see us and SDSU leave the un-named/Mid-Con and head to the Gateway/MVC before 2007.

somebison
12-08-2003, 04:13 PM
At least with the un-named/Mid-Con we're gartenteed to have a conference for a few years.

has the Mid-con ever said we were a sure thing?

IowaBison
12-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Missouri Valley Conference?

I'm pretty sure we have a better chance of getting into the Big Sky than the MVC. It wouldn't be a bad fit, but I don't think they'd be too interested in adding some schools from the Dakotas.

Bisonfan1234
12-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Missouri Valley Conference?

I'm pretty sure we have a better chance of getting into the Big Sky than the MVC. It wouldn't be a bad fit, but I don't think they'd be too interested in adding some schools from the Dakotas.

Now, yes.

Before 2007, no.

Like i said, i wanted to use the Mid-con as a stepping stone to get to the MVC. If we both do well in the mid-con, why wouldn't the MBC want us?

Bisonguy
12-09-2003, 12:31 AM
WDAY news reported that Gene Taylor will not go for the GWC if more than a two year commitment is required. He says that the Big Sky is still a possibility, and does not want to be locked into a long term deal if the opportunity arises.

uncbear
12-09-2003, 12:44 AM
Wow! I am surprised that he would go for a two year committment. I figured he would go for no commitment or minimal commitment. Does that mean that NDSU would have to give two years notice before leaving?

Bisonguy
12-09-2003, 12:54 AM
I took it as NDSU would only have to be in the conference for two years. Maybe it has something to do with the probationary period possibly being reduced to two years ???

IowaBison
12-09-2003, 12:59 AM
I think that if we do this GWC thing we do it all out.

Make it five years, Big Sky be dam^ed. They know they'll be losing one playoff spot nearly year and miss out on picking up the Dakota States.

If they have any interest in us they'll call immediately after a commitment like that.

Bisonfan1234
12-09-2003, 03:38 AM
IMO that could be the worst thing we could do.

There is a reason that we're calling this conference the Great *western*. All the schools are in the west!

Let them have it, if they want it. Sure, we'll play along for a couple years before we upgrade to the Gateway (hopefully). Even the Ohio Valley wouldn't be as far as the GWC or if the BSC ever comes around we can consider that.

Definately don't want to commit to this West Coast conference.

NDSU_grad
12-09-2003, 04:05 AM
The Ohio Valley is a horrible conference. I would much rather stay in the Great Western than go there. And last time I looked, Jacksonville FL isn't exactly around the corner.

IowaBison
12-09-2003, 04:20 AM
Bison1234 please look at a map and tell me what half of the country NDSU is in, and I don't mean upper.

If you want to get into semantics then tell me where the "East" is. I bet you 90% of people wouldn't consider Indiana part of the east, but you have a problem having North Dakota being considered part of the West? Most people in this country don't consider ND to be part of the Midwest, so what's left?

You could say were part of the Great Plains.

Well take the Great which I'm sure we can agree on add some teams that are from the West, I'll count NDSU, you don't have to, and waala Great West.

We are west of the Mississippi, west of most of the people in the country.

By the way geography has little to do with why I like the BSC or the GWC, it's because I don't want to be in conference that sucks, but I'll leave those comments for the smack board.

Bisonfan1234
12-09-2003, 05:22 AM
True we are west of the Mississippi.

However, the dividing line for East and West literally goes through ND!

West and Mountain time zones = West.

Central and East time zones = East. Fargo and NDSU are in the Central, thus we are East.

We are flat land, we are high population density. We should identify with like schools regardless of biased human perceptions (eg second teir schools).

Bisonfan1234
12-09-2003, 05:25 AM
The Ohio Valley is a horrible conference. *I would much rather stay in the Great Western than go there. *And last time I looked, Jacksonville FL isn't exactly around the corner.
Why do they receive an auto-bid then?

IowaBison
12-09-2003, 05:35 AM
I like your dividing line theory. Makes sense, but Alabama is also in the Central Time Zone, as is Centenary makes sense that we play there too.

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Come on, Nd has a high population density?? Sorry, but I am not buying that at all. And no way is ND remotely eastern. Man......you have to come out of the Twin Cities and see what is west of Cass County in ND.....and partner....it ain't the East or the Midwest...

NDSU_grad
12-09-2003, 02:14 PM
They do receive an autobid, but they are arguably the worst conference that receives an autobid. This argument, of course, is entirely subjective but I believe the new Great West Conference will in the top 5 conferences of I-AA.

BisonMav
12-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Come on, Nd has a high population density?? *Sorry, but I am not buying that at all. *And no way is ND remotely eastern. *Man......you have *to come out of the Twin Cities and see what is west of Cass County in ND.....and partner....it ain't the East or the Midwest...
My perspective is that it is North. ;)

In reality, I think the people in the Red River Valley area consider themselves Midwest, and consider Western North Dakota part of the West. When they show the weather map, Fargo is in the center, Minnesota, SD and Manitoba show up.

Bison_Kent
12-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Lets do this the educational way. Since there are 50 states. 25 have to be east and 25 have to be west.

If you do it this way both North Dakota and Minnesota would be in the west and the Mississippi River is basically the East-West line.

BisonMav
12-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Lets do this the educational way. *Since there are 50 states. *25 have to be east and 25 have to be west. *

If you do it this way both North Dakota and Minnesota would be in the west and the Mississippi River is basically the East-West line.

The geographical center of North America is in Rugby. *;)

The geographical center of the lower 48 states lies outside of Lebanon, Kansas, in the middle of a hog farm. ;D

Charger
12-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Maybe South Dakota is different, but I think most East River South Dakotans consider themselves to be in the Midwest. I know Brookings is considered Midwest, as you have to go pretty far west to get out of the corn fields. West River on the other hand would be considered mountain or western. I personally would like to be accepted into a Midwest based conference, but I think the Big Sky would be a great opportunity and it's institutions resemble us more than other conferences.

Bison_Kent
12-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Note to bring up hockey but the WCHA (Western Collegiate Hockey Association) considers Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and even Ohio as western states.

I know I will regret posting this.

BisonMav
12-09-2003, 06:42 PM
It is relative to how each person views their location. All I care about is watching Bison football. It is still the same distance to Fargo from where I live, no matter which conference NDSU joins.

Bisonfan1234
12-09-2003, 09:18 PM
I like your dividing line theory. Makes sense, but Alabama is also in the Central Time Zone, as is Centenary makes sense that we play there too.

This is an over simplification. Obviously you also need dividers for north and south.

Come on, Nd has a high population density?? Sorry, but I am not buying that at all. And no way is ND remotely eastern. Man......you have to come out of the Twin Cities and see what is west of Cass County in ND.....and partner....it ain't the East or the Midwest...

North Dakota doesn't have a high population density. Fargo does. In 2050 the WF-F-M area will probably have at least 300,00 people here. NDSU is in Fargo.

They do receive an autobid, but they are arguably the worst conference that receives an autobid. This argument, of course, is entirely subjective but I believe the new Great West Conference will in the top 5 conferences of I-AA.

The OVC and Southland probably had the worst showing in the play-offs this year. Also, when i suggest the OVC, i was thinking it was mainly made up of teams around East IL and East KY. I didn't know that it included teams like Jacksonville State.

My perspective is that it is North.

In reality, I think the people in the Red River Valley area consider themselves Midwest, and consider Western North Dakota part of the West. When they show the weather map, Fargo is in the center, Minnesota, SD and Manitoba show up.

Exactly. There is also a north/south perspective to consider. But, people in the mountain time zone consider thamselves west, while people in the central time zone consider themselves east.

Note to bring up hockey but the WCHA (Western Collegiate Hockey Association) considers Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and even Ohio as western states.

I know I will regret posting this.

Again, over simplification. Western means western compared to the first hockey schools, which were in the east. It doesn't mean western states.

It is relative to how each person views their location. All I care about is watching Bison football. It is still the same distance to Fargo from where I live, no matter which conference NDSU joins.

This may be the biggest truth of them all. But it is useful to know what part of the country you're in so you can align yourself with others in your area.

89rabbit
12-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Maybe South Dakota is different, but I think most East River South Dakotans consider themselves to be in the Midwest. *I know Brookings is considered Midwest, as you have to go pretty far west to get out of the corn fields. *West River on the other hand would be considered mountain or western. *I personally would like to be accepted into a Midwest based conference, but I think the Big Sky would be a great opportunity and it's institutions resemble us more than other conferences.

I agree wth Charger. East River South Dakotans think of themselves as Midwest. The same could be said for my current state Kansas, about halfway through the state they start to think about the Rockies and the West.

Bisonfan1234
12-09-2003, 10:51 PM
There is almost a straight line-up of states from North Dakota down to Texas. Out of those 6 states (ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX) we've had people from 3 of them say the same thing: there is an imaginary line down the middle in which people either identify themselves to the west or east.

Maybe this line isn't exactly in the middle of ND (or the line-up for that matter).

Someone here said that Rugby, ND is the center of North America. Perhaps everything east of Rugby should go east and everything west should go west?

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2003, 11:36 PM
The bottom line is NDSU is North Dakota STATE University....that STATE being the State of North Dakota. NDSU is a University for the entire State of North Dakota. The North Dakota that is West of the Red River Valley is not very Midwestern at all.

I acknowlege that Fargo is indeed the most urban area of the state, but for those of us that have lived in major urban areas we realize that the very soul of Fargo is rural.

Bisonfan1234
12-10-2003, 01:27 AM
How can the soul of a 300,000+ people metropolitan area be rural?

I think you're living in the past. Fargo has all the amenities of a major city and is growing rapidly.

But even so, let's just say only the red river valley. That includes West Fargo, Fargo, Grand Forks, and Wahpeton. That right there is a majority of the population of ND. Looks like we win again!

Yes i realize that it is a state univeristy supported by all of the state. However, the people that most immediately support it are the people of the RR Valley, who are most definately Urban.

IowaBison
12-10-2003, 03:17 AM
You might be right Bison1234, but Fargo is the most rural big city I've ever lived in/been to. A large number of the folks grew up on the farm, others suffer from boundless Scandahoovian kindness. Most of the new people in town over the last twenty years are small town expatriates.

BisonMav
12-10-2003, 03:52 AM
You might be right Bison1234, but Fargo is the most rural big city I've ever lived in/been to. *A large number of the folks grew up on the farm, others suffer from boundless Scandahoovian kindness. Most of the new people in town over the last twenty years are small town expatriates.
Just to clear one thing up, Rural does not equal Western. There are many rural Minnesotans that have made Fargo their home also. There are a lot of Twins Cities radio shows that get played on the Radio in Fargo, vs anything from the West. Probably a majority of North Dakota's are Twins and Vikings fans vs any other teams. The Native American tribes of eastern North Dakota, Sioux, Chippewa are plains and central woodland tribes. Mandan and Hidasta tribes are more western tribes. All in all it is still relatvie.

Bisonfan1234
12-10-2003, 02:13 PM
You might be right Bison1234, but Fargo is the most rural big city I've ever lived in/been to. *A large number of the folks grew up on the farm, others suffer from boundless Scandahoovian kindness. Most of the new people in town over the last twenty years are small town expatriates.

Just because they used to live on the farm is irrelative. They now live in the city, they adapt to city life. No more wells and septic tanks, no more broadcast tv (i understand satillite is rapidly expanding and if new legislation goes through, they could compete with pretty much any cable company), no more hour long drive to go out to eat or see a movie.

BisonMav
12-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Anyone hear any news from the Meetings? ???

WYOBISONMAN
12-10-2003, 03:09 PM
It's a little frustrating that more news isn't coming out of the AD's office on this.

Bison_Kent
12-10-2003, 03:20 PM
The Sioux Falls paper had this article:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Wednesdayarticle4.shtml

Bisonfan1
12-11-2003, 06:07 AM
It is my understanding that we have an "out" say the Big Sky would come knocking, correct me if Im wrong. This is good news.

Bison_Kent
12-11-2003, 09:33 AM
Yes, that is true. It was on the WDAY-TV news with Gene that any teams can leave whenever.

Bisonfan1234
12-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Or should the Gateway come knocking.

roadwarrior
12-12-2003, 12:48 AM
Nice to see our trusty local paper is on top of this story >:(

Bisonguy
12-12-2003, 12:58 AM
Nice to see our trusty local paper is on top of this story *>:(

No doubt >:(. I would have fiigured Mike McFeeley was digging through garbage cans in Las Vegas trying to find out what Gene Taylor had for lunch. If they would have put half the effort in they did during the coach search, we would have a lot of news ::)

JBB
12-20-2003, 12:38 PM
over at http://collegesportsinfo.com/ there is a comprehensive and up to date look at realignment. Heres what he says about Denver College:

The odd school. Has little fan interaction outside of hockey, and is considering a move to the Mid-Continent Conference. Once NDSU and SDSU upgrade to 1-AA football, they will be looking for homes. Denver could team up with these schools as well as Southern Utah, Northern Colorado and Utah Valley State (process of upgrading) to form a more regional conference.

Heres what he says about Southern Utah:

Is actively pursuing the formation of a new 1-AA football conference comprised of NDSU, South Dakota St., Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, St. Marys, UC-Davis and Cal Poly.

Long shot: If the Big Sky expands to 10 which has been rumored, they could invite Southern Utah and Northern Colorado who would be better travel partners for Northern Arizona and Weber State.

Heres what he says about NDSU and SDSU:

Prepared to upgrade to Div. 1. Seeking a home in the Big Sky but looks like they'll be turned away. Might seek refuge in the Mid-Continent.
News: 4/14//03: Is actively pursuing the formation of a new 1-AA football conference comprised of NDSU, South Dakota St., Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, St. Marys, UC-Davis and Cal Poly.

89rabbit
12-20-2003, 06:02 PM
If you go to this board and hit NCAA Conference Realignnment and then go to Misc. Conference Realignment you will find some post about us.

Go State!

JBB
12-20-2003, 07:21 PM
Thats pretty much what I did.

I thought his speculation on Denver joining with SDSU, UNC, NDSU. Southern Utah and Utah Valley in a new conference was interesting. In this senario we would have members in the GWC as full sports members, all sports but football and football only members.

This situtation would provide us with all of our conference needs and leave room for other teams that may want to move up or realign with us.

89rabbit
12-20-2003, 08:16 PM
No, I was talking about between the "Grid of Possibilities". Click on the Underlinded "NCAA Conference Relignment". *That will lead you to some Chat rooms that Bison_Kent and I have been in. *Things like Mid-Con Exp., Big Sky going to 10 teams, etc.

NDSU_grad
12-20-2003, 08:52 PM
I don't like the idea of forming a new basketball conference because there would be no autobid. I think it's imperative we get into a conference with an autobid for basketball.

89rabbit
12-20-2003, 11:06 PM
I don't like the idea of forming a new basketball conference because there would be no autobid. *I think it's imperative we get into a conference with an autobid for basketball.

Amen, Brother!

JBB
12-21-2003, 01:33 PM
I dont see any guarantee that we even have that option. Theres a chance but theres just as much chance that it wont happen.

89rabbit
12-21-2003, 05:41 PM
I disagree. There is a chance that we won't get into any conf. and will have to form our own, but it is not nearly as likely as us getting into one of the exstablished conf. IMHO. From what I hear, I feel pretty good that we will either be in the Big Sky or Mid-Con/GWC. We bring too much to the tabel to have to hook up with Denver and Utah Valley. That might be their best option but not ours. I think that was the way the CollegeSportsInfo.com was presenting it.

If you read some of King Cal's posts (the administrator over there) he thinks that SDSU, NDSU, and UNC will join the Mid-Con and that the Mid-Con will offer football (basically take over the GWC) and make UC-Davis, St. Mary's, and Cal-Poly football only members. He thinks that the Big Sky is the next most likely thing.

I am not sure if I agree with him 100% but I do feel sure that we will be invited to join a conf. sooner or later.

Go SDSU!
Go NDSU!

dnk
12-22-2003, 03:37 PM
For what it is worth Dept:
I believe Gene T. has said that two administrators from
the Mid Con were at the new football conf meetings as
they will be managing the new conf. Two weeks ago
he also said the offer to play und is out there. In so
many words he said, if they accept, fine. If not the heck
with it.

JBB
12-23-2003, 01:44 PM
We may have something to offer the Mid Con if we can bring football. Its hard to see how other teams moving up from our area would fit in five years from now. If the BSC wont expand now why then and without a travel partner for BB? The GWC could take them in football but what about the other sports? There really wouldnt be room without some kind of major reshufling.