PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's Schedule

Jav_Fan
11-03-2003, 08:30 PM
If you have trouble filling out your schedule in 2004, give A&M-Kingsville a call. We have an open date early in the season, and it will be tough to fill. I know y'all are looking to play DI or I-AA teams, but we could be a nice consolation.

Hope to see you in Florence!!

JBB
11-03-2003, 09:13 PM
That would be a good game. I hope we call.

Bisonguy
11-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Jav_Fan,

Do you remember what happened the last time TAMUK played NDSU? ;D Seriously, I would like to see NDSU play TAMUK next year, I know your program is back to where it should be.

Jav_Fan
11-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Oh yeah I remember last time. That was one of the worst beatings I can remember us taking. And it was just the start of very bad 2 year period. I don't know what was worse, losing by so much to the Bison, or struggling in conference against teams that never had given us any trouble.

One thing is for sure, our guys don't take anything or anyone for granted anymore and we have learned to enjoy the good times much more.

I just don't understand the strength of schedule index. We get more points for beating a DII school with a 1-10 record than a DI-AA school from an automatic-qualifying conference. Where's the incentive to play a tougher schedule, other than knowing you will be a better team down the road.

Bisonguy
11-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Most Bison fans are wondering the same thing after beating the #3 at the time I-AA this year(Montana) and losing a fairly close game to UC Davis this year and being ranked #5 in the regional poll. It just doesn't make sense. Remember, NDSU was 2-8 last year, we also are enjoying a return to glory ;D.

WYOBISONMAN
11-04-2003, 03:41 AM
Javfan...you are so right about that "strength of schedule". It is designed to punish those of us that seek out the toughest competition. I guess that is just one more reason (on top of about 10,000 other reasons) to get the hell out of D2. TAMUK is a class D2 program....wish there were more of you in D2.

Bisonguy
11-04-2003, 03:45 AM
Jav_Fan,

Are there any DI rumblings going on in TAMUK land? I thought I've seen something about TAMUK possibly moving up to DI. Maybe it was just some people thinking they should. ???

Jav_Fan
11-04-2003, 02:38 PM
There are a few boosters down here that would love to move up. Money, as usual, is the main drawback. We don't have the enrollment, or alum base to financially support the move. Attendance for football is great, but not so for the other sports. Kingsville has a population of about 25,000. Our nearest city is Corpus Christi, (300,000) and the media there totally support their fledgling DI program (no football though), so we only get CC's scraps.

Also, I look at some of our former Lone Star Conference Schools that made the move up - Texas State (formerly Southwest Texas State), Sam Houston State, and Stephen F. Austin. Stephen F. Austin is the only one of these schools that has been competitive in I-AA. This is evident in their attendance which is less than ours. Portland State is another example of a school that moved up and has not come anywhere near the success that it enjoyed in D2.

So I guess for now, I am somewhat content to stay in D2 and enjoy the electricity in Javelina Stadium on a Saturday night, knowing that we have a good chance to compete for the national championship.

I wish the Bison the best of luck, and hope that you can defy the odds and win big in DI-AA.

Bisonfan1234
11-04-2003, 03:05 PM
There are a few boosters down here that would love to move up. *Money, as usual, is the main drawback. *We don't have the enrollment, or alum base to financially support the move. *Attendance for football is great, but not so for the other sports. *Kingsville has a population of about 25,000. *Our nearest city is Corpus Christi, (300,000) and the media there totally support their fledgling DI program (no football though), so we only get CC's scraps. *

Also, I look at some of our former Lone Star Conference Schools that made the move up - Texas State (formerly Southwest Texas State), Sam Houston State, and Stephen F. Austin. *Stephen F. Austin is the only one of these schools that has been competitive in I-AA. *This is evident in their attendance which is less than ours. *Portland State is another example of a school that moved up and has not come anywhere near the success that it enjoyed in D2.

So I guess for now, I am somewhat content to stay in D2 and enjoy the electricity in Javelina Stadium on a Saturday night, knowing that we have a good chance to compete for the national championship.

I wish the Bison the best of luck, and hope that you can defy the odds and win big in DI-AA.

That's a little negitive considering we've already beat the best D1AA has to offer (Montana). I have no doubt that in 4 (or 5 or whatever) years we'll be in the D1AA playoffs.

Bison_Kent
11-04-2003, 03:18 PM
What is Kingsville's enrollment?

Jav_Fan
11-04-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm not saying that you cannot or will not succeed. Indeed I hope that you do. I am just looking at some programs that were competitive year in and year out in D2, that have struggled in 1-AA.

In our situation, when our football program does not win, attendance falls off, booster club membership lags, and all of the programs suffer. It took us almost 10 years after moving up from the NAIA (where we won 8 national championships, 7 between 1968 and 1979) to make the D2 playoffs. And our attendance has never reached the levels that it enjoyed in that period.

I think your program is different than ours in that while football is the main thing, it is not the only thing, and if attendance were to drop off for football for a while, you have other revenue generating programs to help cushion that. That is an area that we need to work on and once we get that addressed, then we can look to moving up.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Jav_Fan,
Good to meet other Texas posters. I think Kingsville would have been a lot more successful moving up to D1 rather than Corpus Christi. You have a lot more tradition and local support. Besides any school with a bad a** mascot like a javalina has to be tough! I noticed SDSU's womens BB team plays you in the Turkey day shootout in Kingsville this year. Our Jacks are logging a lot of miles early in the season, good luck-but not too much luck. TAMU-Kingsville's enrollment is 5,900 this year.
Texas Jack

tony
11-04-2003, 07:02 PM
OK this is long (sorry) but I didn't write anything for the South Dakota game...

TAMUK's situation differs from NDSU's in several ways.

First, the DII label has been devalued in NDSU's recruiting area. Ten schools within a couple hours drive of NDSU have moved up from the NAIA to DII within the last couple years and there are another dozen or so in the same area who might make the leap in coming years. As far as I know, there aren't any meaningful number of schools in TAMUK's recruiting area moving into DII.

Second, due to DII action, NDSU has been forced to cut scholarships, has been put in a highly-competitive region, is suffering the slings and arrows of an inane rating system, and in general has been put at a competitive disadvantage with 90% of the schools remaining in DII. TAMUK's region, on the other hand, is pretty weak right now (sorry) and though it should get strengthened by the addition of Northwest Missouri and Pittsburg, the effect will be lessened by having a six-team regional playoff field. They can look into the future and be pretty confident that their team will be in the playoffs eight of the next ten years with (hopefully) a couple national championships. When NDSU looks into the future, they see maximum scholarships limited to 24 and teams like Winona getting into the playoffs over them for no reason other than they play weak schedules.

Third, the Javelinas greatest success in DII football lies in the future; NDSU's doesn't. All NDSU can do is win the national championship - and for the reasons listed before, this has been made very difficult.

The bright lights of DI had little (almost nothing) to do with my eventual decision to support NDSU's move to DI; it had more to do with the direction DII was taking. I'm pretty confident TAMUK can weather these changes and be very successful. I am just as certain NDSU couldn't do the same.

89rabbit
11-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Tony,

Well said! :)

Go SDSU!
Go NDSU!

Jav_Fan
11-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Texas Jack

Thanks for the kind words. I am not too sure that you have to worry too much about our women's bb team. I understand our best player (by far) will not be back, and the team was already in a rebuilding mode. We do have a new coach that maybe some people up north have heard of Dina Kangas. I understand she still holds the D2 all-time scoring record when she was at Minnesota-Duluth.

Does anybody have any info on her? (I know, I know, I'll keep it to football from now on)

Bison_Kent
11-13-2003, 01:12 AM
I got this from the Georgia Southern message board.

South Dakota State must have gotten a home and home with them as Georgia Southern has released the 2004 and 2005 schedules.

Here is the link:

http://www.southern-connection.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7503&postdays=0&postorder=asc&star t=0

Bisonguy
11-13-2003, 01:22 AM
Gene Taylor was in talks with the GSU AD, until he saw the score of the Montana game ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

somebison
11-13-2003, 08:51 PM
Has there been any talks about playing Maine? I know they were supposed to come here two years ago, before 9/11. I know they were ranked earlier this year and think they would be great to play if we could get them.

GiantBison12
12-14-2003, 05:01 PM
From a very good source, there are 3 home game so far, with 5-6 being the goal. Cal Poly, Montana St., and Mankato. The word on MST was they needed to basically cross the t's and dot the i's. I believe Cal Poly played in Fargo around 12 years ago, not sure. Does anyone know how long they have been 1aa.

GiantBison12
12-14-2003, 05:07 PM
SDSU at Georgia Southern, October 30 2004

Nice job SDSU!

roadwarrior
12-15-2003, 03:58 AM
The BISON lost to Cal Poly 29-35 in 1985 in California. They played in Fargo in the playoffs in 1990 losing to the BISON 47-0. They also played in Fargo for the season opener in 1992 with the BISON winning 26-10.

It looks like Cal-Poly moved to D1-AA somewhere between 1993 and 1996. *They joined the Big West conference in 1996 for sports other than football.

JBB
12-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Thats a great home schedule so far. I hope it plays out. We are already starting to renew some of the old rivalrys we had with a lot of DI-AA teams. Its nice to see Mankato on the schedule too. A game and worthy rival out of the NCC. NCC teams that arent scheduling the regions top football powers are really missing the boat.

Bisonfan1234
12-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Mankato?!

What the heck are they doing on there? That game will probably draw about 5,000 as the Bison cruise to a 77-0 win.

NDSU_grad
12-15-2003, 04:32 PM
If we do truly indeed have two home games against DI-AA opponents (and pretty good ones) then I nominate Gene Taylor for AD of the year. I had been pretty much reserved to the fact that all home games would be against DII opponents next year. Now I'm already excited for next September.

BisonMav
12-15-2003, 04:35 PM
If we do truly indeed have two home games against DI-AA opponents (and pretty good ones) then I nominate Gene Taylor for AD of the year. *I had been pretty much reserved to the fact that all home games would be against DII opponents next year. *Now I'm already excited for next September.

I will second the nomination.

JBB
12-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Heck, I thought we were going to play every home game against SDSU in a race to 5! :D

Bisonfan1234
12-15-2003, 05:42 PM
Taylor needs to at least get good D2 schools if we have to play D2 schools.

NDSU_grad
12-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Good DII schools won't play us at home, because of the inane way DII calculates SSI. Considering UNC had 0 home games against I-AA opponents, I'd say Gene is doing pretty good.

roadwarrior
12-16-2003, 12:50 AM
Mankato has played UNI at least a couple of times in the past 10 years or so. So playing a D1-AA team is not unusual for them.

Bison_Kent
12-16-2003, 02:19 AM
Just got back from Denver. I went the Broncos/Browns game yesterday.

To have Cal-Poly and Montana State at home would be great. I had heard that MT St. was full but maybe someone had backed out.

GFBisonFan
12-16-2003, 04:31 AM
I agree--Mankato? They are a weak addition, however with D2s ingenious rewarding system (SSI), we will be hard pressed to get a good d2 team in, especially after the great year we had.

I see our schedule filled with mediocre d2 teams at home (money games) with a couple of solid road 1-aa teams (other than UNC, UCD). With the new additions,

I have this so far

Mankato (H)
Cal Poly (H)
Montana St. (H)
UCD (A)
UNC (A)
Sac State (A)

Looks good so far, now add four or five more games and that looks like a heck of a schedule so far.

Question: Approximately when does the official schedule come out??

Bisonguy
12-16-2003, 05:09 AM
I haven't heard anything about Sac. State ???. NDSU is playing St. Mary's as a road game, but Taylor was trying to start the home/home in Fargo.

The only schools that I know are scheduled and the contracts are signed are UC-Davis (away), St. Mary's (away), and UNC(away). Mankato was rumored as a done deal, but Taylor stated Mankato was unsure about signing the contract.

Bisonfan1234
12-16-2003, 05:26 AM
Anyone heard anythign about us playing a New Mexico team?

GFBisonFan
12-16-2003, 08:30 PM
Sorry, I mean St Mary's, not Sac State (thinking about them reading the other threads)

BisonMav
12-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Blurb in today's Forum about possible games next year.
Forum (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=46375)

WYOBISONMAN
12-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Guess What......Montana is OPEN on 9-25 next year. Gene Taylor ought to be working on a rematch.....

Bisonfan1234
12-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Montana State and Montana in one season?

That's too many mountain hill-billies top play at once.

IowaBison
12-17-2003, 07:43 PM
If we could get Montana and Montana State in the same season, who needs a conference. Hell, who needs any other athletic events to go for, it would be great.

I have this nagging feeling that Montana might not want to play us though.

purplemavfan
12-19-2003, 01:07 AM
Mn. State playing at NDSU is a bad move by MSU, period. An 0-11 team playing at a D-IAA team's place is not going to help MSU, or draw many Bison fans to the game, probably. If the football program is ever going to get back to d-2 respectability, it needs years to rebuild depth and good recruits.

WYOBISONMAN
12-19-2003, 01:26 AM
Actually, from the MSU perspective I would think that it would give the team exposure to a solid competitor.

Bisonguy
12-19-2003, 03:08 AM
Just realized there is a thread about next year's schedule in the Football Forum-

New developments to the schedule include an away game signed with SDSU-finally

There have also been some weird thing called a home game rearing it's ugly head

Here's what Gene Taylor has for games that have been signed (i.e. contracts) [from WDAY news]:

Away Games

UNC, UCD, St. Mary's, and SDSU

Home Games

UMD and Cal Poly

UMD is supposedly somewhat unclear if the game will be played, because they are in the process of hiring a new coach. They may want to back out of it .

Cal Poly is a good addition.

Five more games to go!

WYOBISONMAN
12-19-2003, 03:14 AM
Truely a long and trying process......I can't wait until we have the whole sched. I would like to see two or three more solid D1AA schools on there.

Bisonguy
12-19-2003, 03:36 AM
Five GWC conference games, what more do you want? ;)

I would like to see a couple good I-AA's, but I would also like to see the Bison play at the Fargodome more than twice next year.

Maybe Taylor could schedule a I-AA cupcake, like Sac. State at the Fargodome.

IowaBison
12-19-2003, 03:59 PM
And leave their land of milk and honey!

Sac_State
12-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Exactly, if there is going to be a game it will be in Sactown. It would be nice to show you sod farmers what electricty is.

IowaBison
12-19-2003, 05:57 PM
And what an empty stadium is, gotcha.

WYOBISONMAN
12-19-2003, 05:59 PM
Electricity.....? On what....a defib to bring the Sac program back from the dead?? What a joke. I am sure that if NDSU schedules with Slick State it will be a home and home. You guys can come play in the Fargodome to see what a solid D1AA program look like that plays in one of the best D1AA stadiums in the nation.

JACKGUY
12-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Takes a lot of guts for Sac State to come on this forum and start chirping about his program when it barely has a pulse.

89rabbit
12-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Exactly, if there is going to be a game it will be in Sactown. It would be nice to show you sod farmers what electricty is.

We have seen the nice part of Northern Calf. We have both (SDSU and NDSU) played, and won at UC-Davis. Can you say the same recently? Didn't think so.

Sac_State
12-19-2003, 07:13 PM
"when it barely has a pulse."

Like being ranked 160 in Sagarin? Ahead of SMU, didn't see NDSU listed? Wonder why? ;)

Hey the rabbit has nuts. Couldn't make it on your own, so you all of a sudden are 'best' buds with your arch rival huh? Guess, with only so many people in the 'Upper-Midwest' (NDSU website description) playing six man ball, you gotta gravitate to any resemblence of notariety. So, big bad SDSU, you beat Davis huh? In what?

89rabbit
12-19-2003, 07:18 PM

Like being ranked 160 in Sagarin? Ahead of SMU, didn't see NDSU listed? Wonder why? ;)

Hey the rabbit has nuts. Couldn't make it on your own, so you all of a sudden are 'best' buds with your arch rival huh? Guess, with only so many people in the 'Upper-Midwest' (NDSU website description) playing six man ball, you gotta gravitate to any resemblence of notariety. So, big bad SDSU, you beat Davis huh? In what?

Football bonehead! 1997 at Davis, SDSU 17 UC-Davis 7. *Again I ask you when was the last time that Suck State beat Davis at Davis? *Also NDSU is not our Arch rival, we hate USD. *NDSU is a well respected member of our old conf. and the school that we are partnering with as we move up to D-I/I-AA. *

Lastly let me say that we would love to play you also. *In football or better yet, we would love to spank you (don't get to excited) in basketball (11-0 ranked #3 in NCAA D-II). *We would have to play at our place though our 9,000 seat arena is nicer then you 1,500 seat high school gym.

Go State!

Sac_State
12-19-2003, 07:26 PM
You mean we never beat Davis as evidenced by our head-to-head competition last Spring/Fall? We don't play Davis in basketball or volleyball because they hurt our DI RPI rankings.

Feb 6 UC DAVIS Rio Del Oro R.C. W, 5- 2
April 4 UC DAVIS W, 5-2
Aug 31 UC DAVIS# W, 3-1
Feb 2 CSUS 192.325, UCD 191.325
Mar 11 UC DAVIS W, 9-3

Who besides your sugar-daddy NDSU does SDSU compete against? Oh, Winona Ryder State, St. Marys of the Plains and don't forget that hotbed Crockston.

Sac_State
12-19-2003, 07:31 PM
Football bonehead!

Is there a question? That is the 2003 football Sagarin rating. Oh yeah, I forgot, SDSU is also a big football hotbed in where? Brookings, Pierre, where is your school?

The SDSU website:
'You can go anywhere from here' No duh, it should read, You WANT to go anywhere away from here.'

Ok, I'll give you one better. Sac beat UCDavis TWICE in one year both times at Davis. It was during the playoffs. They won this year on a play with :16 seconds in the game. And since you are a Sac-Davis buff, you'll also notice that we usually draw 17-21,000 for that game.

89rabbit
12-19-2003, 07:31 PM
Still talking about Football. When was the last time that Suck State beat Davis in Football at Davis?

Sac_State
12-19-2003, 07:35 PM
Look at the last post.... 8)

In your handle you blurb, Go State!

Which one? There are 50 states.

89rabbit
12-19-2003, 07:36 PM
When was that?

somebison
12-19-2003, 07:36 PM

Current Sac St. RPI = 278 (last in the big sky) (the one the NCAA actually uses)
http://www.rpiratings.com/mensrpi.htm

Current Massey Ratings for football

NDSU = 116
SDSU= 153
Sac St=195 (last in big sky)

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate/cf-m.htm

In the Gridiron Power index... guess who was last in the big sky?

and then of course there is womens BB coming in at a whopping #297 the lady hornets of sac state... again last in the big sky

http://www.rpiratings.com/womensrpi.htm

I realize you may have very nice swimming, rowing, underwater basketweaving facilities... etc. However the big sky does not sponsor these sports... so why would they care how good your facilities are for them. We have an excellent baseball facility... but I doubt that is the first thing we bring up when stating our case for the conference. I hope the Big Sky moves to 10 teams including NDSU and SDSU.. that way we can have a heated rivalry with Sac St. and both of their fans.

Sac_State
12-19-2003, 07:38 PM

1999 48-27 W
2000 13-10 L

"guess who was last in the big sky?"

Guess who is IN the Big Sky? Short bald man envy is not very becoming to you ND people.

Bison_Kent
12-19-2003, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I agree. Sac State is very quickly becoming the UND of the Big Sky. We need to play the mighty Hornets.

WYOBISONMAN
12-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Of course they are becoming the UND of the Big Sky......look at the bone head they have for an AD. No need to say any more..... :-/

BisonMav
12-19-2003, 08:09 PM
Even better, we won't have to listen to "How's your hockey team", now it's "How's your rowing team".

89rabbit
12-19-2003, 08:09 PM
In your handle you blurb, Go State!

Which one? There are 50 states.

North and South Dakota of course. ::)

89rabbit
12-19-2003, 08:14 PM

Happy 15th anniversary of your wins at Davis. ;) ::)

Bison_Kent
12-19-2003, 08:17 PM
WYOBISONMAN,

You couldn't be more right about the Sac State AD making them a West Coast UND. But Hornets Suck just doesn't have that same ring to it as Sioux Suck.

somebison
12-19-2003, 08:23 PM
WYOBISONMAN,

You couldn't be more right about the Sac State AD making them a West Coast UND. *But Hornets Suck just doesn't have that same ring to it as Sioux Suck.

of course you could say Sac St Sucks which could be a nice little chant.

WYOBISONMAN
12-19-2003, 08:25 PM
I think that slogan could work.....just spell it a little different......WHORENETS SUCK...http://www.theofficenet.com/~2brydh3/gifs/wave-finger.gif

http://www.theofficenet.com/~2brydh3/gifs/punchself.gif

Note...the above is an intramural sport at Sac State....one sport they do quite well at....

somebison
12-19-2003, 09:19 PM
Sac St's Big Sky finishes so far in 03-04 season

MEN AND WOMEN PLACE EIGHTH AT BIG SKY CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/track/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=8118
(there are only 8 teams in the conf)

Football 2-9... last in the big sky

Men's and Women's Basketball.. both currently last in the big sky rpi ratings see earlier post

Volleyball.. women win Big Sky... advance to NCAA.

So in sports sponsored by the Big Sky.. Sac is last in the conference in 5/6 sports so far this year. Volleyball does appear to be very good though.. no wonder the VB coach wouldn't mind going to a conference with better VB... I think she should at least be listened to as the rest of the teams haven't fared to well.

JBB
12-26-2003, 12:26 PM
In Division II Augi, UNO, St. Cloud State, Tusculum and Mankato are all possible home dates for the BISON next season. Any one of them would be a good game. It would be a great home schedule if we could see Tusculum and UNO.

Sac_State
12-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I agree. *Sac State is very quickly becoming the UND of the Big Sky. *We need to play the mighty Hornets.

Won't happen. Our 'desheveled' program will be playing Nevada and San Diego State next year as non-conference opponents. The following it is Oregon State(again) and Hawaii. Throw in Davis and Cow Poly SLOW, we play them every year and we have the makings of a fine schedule. Who is NDSU playing, Tuculumun? Mankato State and Winona Ryder State. Wahooo. I am impressd with your mightiness. *:-*

I'll give you credit, you beat the Griz. Nice achievement. But play a few more teams per year of the Griz caliper and then you can beat your 'Little university on the Plains' chest.

Rabbit-you amuse me. What a little tag along. I can somewhat fathom NDSU moving up, only state in the union who couldn't figure out a way to support its state school until 2001, but to take shots like your little territory school has any legitimacy. Come on.

Did you ever see the Little Rascals growing up, Rabbit reminds me of the little troll who was always hanging around Butch thinking he was important or something. Shoo.

Hey thanks for the stats. It is always good to see a new fan perusing the Hornet website.

Sac_State
12-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Yeah, were are so bad, we were invited and accepted on the first Big Sky Conference invite. Hmmmm, NDSU and SDSU didn't have what it takes to be a Sky member? After being publically rejected, you somehow get an invite, what superiority!

JBB
12-29-2003, 09:58 PM
BSC must have been desperate? 8)

Bisonfan1234
12-29-2003, 10:03 PM
The Big Suck was simply interested in expanding to large markets (CSUS, PSU).

Fargo and Sioux Falls are both around 130,000 and growing. Should be plenty if the Big Suck wants to expand East (very unlikely, Southern Utah and Northern Colorado are a much better fit for them geographically).

Sac_State
12-30-2003, 04:02 PM
The Big Suck was simply interested in expanding to large markets (CSUS, PSU).

Fargo and Sioux Falls are both around 130,000 and growing.

'growing'?

Everything I read from USNews(The davis people use that as their bible), Time and other rags depict ND and SD as wastelands. The two states are tied to agriculture as its only source of tax income. The farms are shrinking, disappearing, and many of the smaller communities are congregating in the cities. The population of Fargo and Sioux Falls is growing because people are leaving the state's countryside and farms.

It is too bad, my family is historically farmers. We farm about 3,000 acres (sugar cane, rice, cotton) in central Louisiana.

Exactly why NDSU and SDSU are indies. Lake Charles, Louisiana (Home of McNeese State) has about as many residents as your two big markets. Nothing wrong with that, just the stats and facts of where we choose to live.

Oh, and now it is the Big Suck? Just because you weren't invited it now sucks? *???

And the Sky has publically said S. Utah will not be invited into the Sky because of its academics. And lack of market. I don't know anything about N. Colorado other than Joe Glenn coached there and they seem to have a good football program. Tough market to compete in with Colo State just down the road.

tony
12-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Sac-State,

BisonFan1234 doesn't like the Big Sky and therefore calls it the "Big Suck" because he wants NDSU to join the Gateway (I'm not sure where he wants NDSU to go for the other sports). Missouri Valley? Mid-Con?

For my part, I'd like to see NDSU in the Big Sky with Sacramento State.

Sac_State
12-30-2003, 05:29 PM
I would much rather have NDSU in the Sky than S.Utah, N. Colo, Idawho, or any other D2 moving up. San Jose, Davis or Cal Poly would be a nice pickup for the Sky.

If NDSU was based on the left side of the state it would have helped your case with the Sky. Looking at an atlas, ND is a long way from Sac, Flag or even Cheney. A one time a year football trip is not the key, it is all the other sports that have to travel. I think NDSU has much more to offer than any teams in the Mid-Con (Chicago State, IUPIU, etc). Gateway is a good football league (UNI, W. Illinois, etc.)

Good luck, you have perseverance as an asset. I also respect your football teams success over the years. That '88 playoff game between Sac and NDSU was pretty good, for the Bison. I have that game on VHS.

JBB
12-30-2003, 05:50 PM
I sure dont begrudge the BSC for going slow on the expansion issue, and I respect their frankness last fall when your commish stated it was unlikely the BSC would expand to include the Dakota Schools, NDSU and SDSU. Publicly at least, that makes it clear that we should really start to invest in our other options. Its a great league, top to bottom and if we end up in the Great West/Mid Con I hope we can keep a regular menu of BSC teams on our schedules for all sports.

Sac_State
12-30-2003, 06:31 PM
It is ashame your arch rival UND and other NCC teams aren't moving up. Like the left coast, the upper midwest and plains has not many options for a IAA program/conference. IAA is strong in the East, South and Gulf.

It would be perfect to have NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, N. Colo, UNO and maybe Pittsburg St, add Wichita St and Creighton and you have the makings of a strong IAA conference with public and private institutions. Of course, Wichita and Creighton without football, would add a degree of baseball DI legitimacy to the new conference. The college world series has turned into a BIG money maker for the NCAA, having your baseball program in a conference is a must for post season consideration. Do other NCC teams offer baseball and softball?

Bisonfan1234
12-30-2003, 07:24 PM
ND and SD are mostly farming, yes.

But Sioux Falls and Fargo are growing metro areas. I don't know about SF, but the Fargo area is going to have at least 300,000 people by 2050.l

Bisonguy
12-30-2003, 09:41 PM
Sac State,

Yes, the NCC has baseball and softball, and I believe all schools sponsor both.