PDA

View Full Version : Some Facts about Sac State

Sac_State
12-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Not to flame anyone, just some FACTS about Sac State. The following quote was posted from a UCD alumni on a Big West chat board. He/she was showing some class. Also, I posted a link to Sunday's Sacramento Bee front page. Enjoy.

"Then what does that say about the teams that lost to them? Could it perhaps be that they are better than everyone gives them credit for and just outhustled the teams they beat?

Granted, they've got a 5-6 record, but who are those losses against? Well, two of them are an 18 pt loss to Stanford, a 3-pt loss to Oregon St. And frankly, neither of those losses smacks of sucking, since Stanford beats teams in its own conference by more than that. Do Fullerton, Long Beach, and Irvine take kryptonite in their pregame meals when they lost and suddenly lose all their talent? No, nobody sucks. I was at the game, and I can tell you Long Beach didn't come ready to play. They played like with no heart, and no defense. That's why they lost. Honestly, please think before you post smack like that. It's upsetting to those of us who appreciate good basketball. Honestly, if I, a UCD graduate (If you've ever heard of the rivalry, you can understand how difficult it is), can attend and support Sac State athletics and enjoy them, then it's not asking a lot of you to show some diplomacy. Thank you."...ucdgrad2001

and

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/education/story/8017849p-8954112c.html

Sac State is not the bumbling, helpless entity that you may have perceived. Good luck with your conference ambitions, sincerely meant.

Peace and good will to you and yours during the holiday and New Year. :)

Bisonfan1234
12-28-2003, 04:57 PM
The only 2 Cal State U's that have any success are Fresno and San Diego.

Sac_State
12-28-2003, 06:30 PM
...and Sacramento has more potential than Fresneck. Or Boyz E.

San Diego has the beach. Sacramento has skiing and the beach equa-distance to both within an hour. What's your preference? 8)

It's like comparing Orlando to Tampa, or Austin to Houston. California is really two different states, the south is dry(usually!), mediterrean and clear most of the year, while the north is more temperate, rainy/snowy and Oregon-like. Sac State is the largest state sponsored university stretching from Sacramento to the Oregon border.

Unlike, North Dakota, the state of California can support more than two IA CSU programs. If NDSU is offered a Sky invite at Sac's expense it will be because Sac is moving up, not out or down. *;)

somebison
12-29-2003, 03:11 AM
...and Sacramento has more potential than Fresneck. Or Boyz E.

Ryan Leaf also had a lot of potential... the article stated that Sac St. is a four year school... do people in Sacramento not know that? *Anyways I hope we get to play you guys some time in the near future.. big sky or no big sky.. it would be a fun game ;)

GoAgs
12-29-2003, 04:21 AM
What is San Diego State good at....?

One thing I will always disagree about with Sac State fans is their expectations. They have never had consistent success in football or basketball. Instead of claiming that Sac State can be a I-A program or has more potential than Fresno, why not focus your attention on becoming the best program in the Big Sky? I guess potential is all you can boast about when you are having a rough time but year in and year out the overstatements become unrealistic.

Comparing Fresno State with CSUS is not realistic. Fresno may be a dump but it has a ton of old oil and agriculture money. A very high percentage of the professionals on Sacramento's Capitol Mall are graduates of UC Davis, UC Berkeley, and UCLA (Check out a big law firm like Orrick or Downey Brand). There are probably as many folks from east coast schools as there are from Sac State. In contrast, a very high percentage of the money in Fresno and Bakersfield comes from Fresno State graduates. They have no major league franchise and the town has such an inferiority complex that they will throw money at anything that is perceived as a happening event. People that live in Sac have the option of the wine country, Tahoe, SF.........

Sac_State
12-29-2003, 01:58 PM
Hey, I am not advocating a move to IA by Sac. That, I agree, is unrealistic (at this time). The planned improvements will bring Sac into the top of the Sky facility wise.

With 1 in 26 people in Sacramento being a CSUS alum, I am sure there are many weathly alumni who will support the school, many already do. Spanos has already given close to $4M for improvements, the late Fred Anderson and his Pacific Coast Building Supply Center's has given close to $3M. There are some very DEEP pockts in this town that are Sac supporters. These two aforementioned benefactors are in the construction business, nice coincidence?

Again, Davis people, stop your arrogance. A CSUS degree does just fine in the income earning department. There are some highly respected and influential Sacramento and California citizens with CSUS degrees. Let's see what the scenario looks like in four years before you start claiming how it can't be done, or how Davis is so superior. *

BTW...I transferred from the University of Texas-Austin to attend CSUS. Is UCD better than UT? I think not. I also was accepted to UCD, but chose to attend a school based where there was actually a city to offer entertainment, etc. So, in difference to your perceived ego, CSUS is a great institution that offers much.

Fresno doesn't offer Mammoth or Yosemite? Lame argument.

Sacramento has more old money than Fresneck. Check the who's/who and you will find many CSUS alum in the Sac elite. Lame argument.

Former_Hitman
12-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Hey, I am not advocating a move to IA by Sac. That, I agree, is unrealistic (at this time). The planned improvements will bring Sac into the top of the Sky facility wise.

With 1 in 26 people in Sacramento being a CSUS alum, I am sure there are many weathly alumni who will support the school, many already do. Spanos has already given close to $4M for improvements.

Again, Davis people, stop your arrogance. A CSUS degree does just fine in the income earning department. There are some highly respected and influential Sacramento and California citizens with CSUS degrees. Let's see what the scenario looks like in four years before you start claiming how it can't be done, or how Davis is so superior. *

BTW...I transferred from the University of Texas-Austin to attend CSUS. Is UCD better than UT? I think not. I also was accepted to UCD, but chose to attend a school based where there was actually a city to offer entertainment, etc. So, in difference to your perceived ego, CSUS is a great institution that offers much.

Sacramento has more old money than Fresneck. Check the who's/who and you will find many CSUS alum in the Sac elite. Lame argument.

Thanks for the information on Sac-State, and we are suppose to do what with this information?

Sac_State
12-29-2003, 05:44 PM
Well, some posters who frequent this board and were visiting the Sac board were spouting off non-facts, inuendo's and heresay about Sac State, or were provided wrong information by our beloved UC Davis adversaries.

So, since those posters wanted to know more about Sac State, here is some info.... :-*

Bisonfan1234
12-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Yeah it's not like SDSU almost beat Ohio State this year in football. The Aztecs have a good football program with Fresno being the only prgram better than them in the CSU system.

IMO, CSU-Sacromento should drop football and join the Big West w/ Davis.

Sac_State
12-29-2003, 06:20 PM
"IMO, CSU-Sacromento should drop football and join the Big West w/ Davis."

So, you are saying Davis should drop football? The Big Worst doesn't offer football.

IMO, NDSU and its shadow, SDSU, should join a like minded MIDWEST conference that plays hockey and wrestling.

Bisonguy
12-29-2003, 09:40 PM
Neither NDSU nor SDSU has a hockey team ::)

For somebody ranting about non-facts, inuendo's and heresay, you should check your facts.

Bisonfan1234
12-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Davis should keep it's football program, it makes money.

They are in the the Big West for all sports except football.

Sac doesn't make money in footbal so they should drop it and join the Big West for everything else, including Baseball and Softball which the Big Suck doesn't offer.

GoAgs
12-30-2003, 01:11 AM

The planned improvements (just talking about football and basketball) won't bring Sac State anywhere near Montana or even Weber. You guys are going to have a horseshoe outside of the track. The problem with the stadium isn't the size, it's that you are 30 yards from the sideline.

With 1 in 26 people in Sacramento being a CSUS alum, I am sure there are many weathly alumni who will support the school, many already do. Spanos has already given close to $4M for improvements, the late Fred Anderson and his Pacific Coast Building Supply Center's has given close to $3M. There are some very DEEP pockts in this town that are Sac supporters. These two aforementioned benefactors are in the construction business, nice coincidence?

And all this money has gone towards? The Stadium is great for track but that's all it will ever be.

UT is the best public school in Texas and one of the countries top public universities. You may think whatever you want but USNews ranks UC Davis #43 and UT-Austin #53.

Mammoth/Yosemite vs Napa/Tahoe?

Who is who?

Sac_State
12-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Again, how do you know Sac doesn't make money on football? How do you know Davis makes money?

"Thats all there will ever be"- Right

You don't participate in wrestling and hockey? That is a mid-west sport!

NDSU_grad
12-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Again, how do you know Sac doesn't make money on football? How do you know Davis makes money?

Who said we don't participate in wrestling. Three time national champions and #1 ranked in DII this year. Wrestling will compete at a high level in DI immediately.

Sac_State
12-30-2003, 03:55 PM
I agree, NDSU should be pretty competetive in DI wrestling. I think PSU offers wrestling, maybe Cal Poly SLO too, it is not a big participated sport on the left coast.

Bisonfan1234
12-30-2003, 07:18 PM

Prove to me that Sac makes money on football and Davis doesn't.

Sac_State
12-30-2003, 07:38 PM
Why do I have to prove anything to you? You made the flippant comment that Sac doesn't make money in football. How do you know? They make as much as davis, both programs averaged around 6-7,000 patrons per game last year, probably the ticket prices are similar.

NDSU doens't make any money in football. The Fargodome is a mint to rent to staff.

IowaBison
12-30-2003, 07:53 PM
We don't pay rent for the Dome in exchange for its location on NDSU property. I'm pretty sure the Bison make money, but I'd be happy to be corrected.

wfduck
12-30-2003, 08:32 PM
We don't pay rent for the Dome in exchange for its location on NDSU property. *I'm pretty sure the Bison make money, but I'd be happy to be corrected.

if the Bison dont make money on football WHAT do they make money at?

I can't believe for a minute that football is not bringing in some good coin

Bisonguy
12-30-2003, 09:29 PM
With over 3,000 season ticket holders, most of which are Team Makers, I'm pretty sure NDSU makes some good coin on football.

Sac State,

NDSU owns the property the Fargodome is located on, so renting the facility is a little cheaper than for a run of the mill event. It's a synergistic relationship ;D

Bisonfan1234
12-30-2003, 09:29 PM
Why do I have to prove anything to you? You made the flippant comment that Sac doesn't make money in football. How do you know? They make as much as davis, both programs averaged around 6-7,000 patrons per game last year, probably the ticket prices are similar.

NDSU doens't make any money in football. The Fargodome is a mint to rent to staff.

I heard you guys had 300 people per game or something.

IowaBison
12-30-2003, 10:11 PM
they had 376 season ticket holders,

the other 5000 must have had dollar tickets.

Bisonfan1234
12-31-2003, 03:30 AM
Oh, that doesn't seem like a money making program to me.

Sac_State
12-31-2003, 01:29 PM
That was when the tickets were basically free of charge at any Autozone, PepBoy's, etc. in the Sac region. Buy one ticket, get one free. That brought attendance up to 11,000+ per game for three years, this years attendance slipped to ~6,248 when full price tickets were re-instated and the team and its first year coach went 2-9.

Sac made something like $20,000 in net football profit during the 2000/2001 season. It was one of only two schools in the Sky to turn a profit in football, UM being the other.

If you review the NCAA data(all member schools must provide this to the NCAA in compliance with Title IX and other Federally goverend requirements for funding, read the national sports rags and follow college football, you will know that a very SMALL handful of IAA or IA schools made money playing football. It is amazing that schools like Michigan or Texas, who have $65M annual athletic budgets, still complain about not having enough money.

Sac has a $7.4M athletic budget spread over 20 varsity IA sports. Out of curiosity, what is the athletic budget of NDSU? The average in the Sky for budgets is ~$6M-$9M. And most of our Sky peers don't fully sponsor 20 sports, UM has 14.

JBB
12-31-2003, 02:24 PM
Our budgets are about the same.

Bison_Kent
12-31-2003, 02:33 PM
According to the DI budget study as fo July, 2002, NDSU spends $5.1 million year year in athletics but that was as a DII school. As a DI school, the low number shown spending $6.7 million and the high number is $7.9 million.

The average Big Sky school spends $6.9 million and the Gateway spend $7.5 million.

Here is the NDSU study:

http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/news/division_I/NDSU_Division_I_MarketRes.pdf

WYOBISONMAN
12-31-2003, 05:13 PM
With the solid Alumni support that NDSU has, the NDSU budget will likely rival that of Montana.

GoAgs
01-04-2004, 01:08 AM
The office of post secondary education lists Sac State as having a 6.5 million dollar athletic budget and 7.5 million dollars in revenue. The Sac Bee printed the CSUS budget at a little over $7 million. UCD has a 8.4 million dollar budget and 25 sports. In 2006 the budget will be around $13 million.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3

ndsubison
01-05-2004, 11:57 PM
1) this is a football board

2) Sac State sucs in fb and their AD is Terry "Winless", a und product

3) that's all I need to know

GO BISON!!!!

89rabbit
01-06-2004, 05:53 PM
You forgot one, Their the best darn Community College in the Great State of California! ;D

Sac_State
01-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Yeah! You tell 'em.

That really stings. Please, please, no more, no more smack from the little bunny from the BIG school that can't make it on its own.

Oh, the humanity!! :o

89rabbit
01-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Your the one coming on the Bison board and smacking SDSU. You don't see any Rabbits on your board, and I have not seen you on ours.

89rabbit
01-06-2004, 06:07 PM
For that matter I think you have also come here and smacked Iowa State, and UC-Davis. What nobody to play with on your board ???

Sac_State
01-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Same can be said of you, what are you doing on a Bison board? It would be like me going to the Davis board and tagging along. Grow your own nads.

Iowa State? No issue with them. Davis smack is a given as NDSU smack is to the little bunnies.

I came here because juveniles like you are running around like a little teenager spouting and showing your just sprouted peach fuzz trying to portray your little school house as Big Sky credible. :P

Is there a So Dakota board with someone other than you? Is 89 your IQ or birth year?