PDA

View Full Version : UNC Bears

ndsubison
12-30-2003, 04:35 AM
I noticed the success that UNC had in 2003 and I was wondering if anybody knows how many scholies they operated with this past season. They played a real decent schedule so I have to assume that they made the proper "adjustments" to their program since 2002. Anybody have further info on this? Also, I have heard rumors that SU will operate with 56 scholies for 2004, 60 in 2005 and be fully funded at 63 for 2006. This is fantastic news if it's true.

GoAgs
12-30-2003, 05:05 AM
I think they were in the low 40's but the added scholarships didn't really benefit them much as they were loaded with seniors. Their schedule was pretty soft outside of the two big sky schools and FAU.

ndsubison
12-30-2003, 05:09 AM
Thanks Ags. On the same token, how many scholies is Davis currently goin on? You guys are going to be scary once you're fully funded. I'm surprised that it took you this long.

Bisonguy
12-30-2003, 06:32 AM
ndsubison,

Taylor has stated the scholarship goal will be 56, 61, and then 63. That way it averages out to be 60 over three years, then a I-A school could have the game against NDSU count towards bowl eligibilty.

Sac_State
12-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Davis doesn't offer scholarships, only grants-in-aid. :P

uncbear
12-30-2003, 07:52 PM
I read that UNC had 63 fully funded but then I read that we only had low 40's this year. I have tried to find the answer to this question before but have had no success in getting a definite answer.

JBB
12-30-2003, 08:33 PM
If we are going to have 56 we are going to add 20 scholarships, but wont some of the partials we have now have to be converted to full rides since we apparently have 63 full rides for 85 guys? We already have at least 5 players announcing they are joing NDSU. I wonder how many more new guys we can add? It would also be interesting to know how many full rides we do give out.

Bisonguy
12-30-2003, 09:33 PM
uncbear,

It would be impossible for UNC to fully fund this year. The NCAA only allows an increase of 25 scholarships per season, and with DII llimiting at 36, only 61 scholarships could be allowed the first year in I-AA.

JBB,

Bohl stated on Bison Feedback that a lot of the scholarships next year will be giving increases to the current players that deserve it. He stated he wasn't going to throw 20 scholies at one recruiting class.

ndsubison
12-31-2003, 12:45 AM
uncbear,

It would be impossible for UNC to fully fund this year. The NCAA only allows an increase of 25 scholarships per season, and with DII llimiting at 36, only 61 scholarships could be allowed the first year in I-AA.

JBB,

Bohl stated on Bison Feedback that a lot of the scholarships next year will be giving increases to the current players that deserve it. He stated he wasn't going to throw 20 scholies at one recruiting class.

I commend Bohl for such a move. Afterall, retention of top players should be a priority and they deserve the extra scholarship $$. It also speaks volumes of the integrity of a program and it's coach. I would hope that future recruits see this fact and make the decision to come to NDSU because it's a program that they WANT to be involved with and a program that does indeed care about them, instead of giving them the impression that they're only considered meat for the grinder. However, I hope that Bohl will use some of the extra scholies to bring in some impact players because we're going to have to be competitive, bottom line. Afterall, football is a Darwinian sport in a Darwinian world. I trust that Bohl knows what he is doing (no sarcasm intended there).

GoAgs
01-06-2004, 10:30 PM
UCD had about 18 scholarships this season with almost half of the money redshirting and half going to current players. There should be a major boost this off-season going up to about 40 (about 1/3 of the money will sit on redshirts). Tuition room+board is 18-20k at UCD and that has always been an issue because it's difficult even for guys with no money and great grades to qualify for fed/state financial aid. It was an issue in this off season too. Two pretty good players left Cal. Both wanted to come to Davis but only Sac could offer a full ride. The QB ended up transferring to UCD but a solid DT went to Sac State.