PDA

View Full Version : SDSU PRESS CONFERENCE 1/8/03

SDSUFAN
01-08-2004, 06:20 PM
A press conference was held today to announce some major gifts to the SDSU athletic Department. *None the size of Ralph Englestad, but the total of a fund raising campaign to date is 4.4 million. *All this money will go into endowments that will provide interest to fund maybe 30 scholarships starting next year.

Sid Bostic to all Jack Fans is know as the guy who was a great basketball player. He threw a mid court shot up in the 1963 National Championship game that went in and he did not know at the time the score was tied. We won by 2 instead of 1.

Sid and his late wife have donated 1 million dollars. *We have Mildred Stoker White orignally from Sioux Falls who prior to her death gave SDSU about 750,000 for scholarships. *She passed away in 2002 and she gave SDSU another 2.75 million. *There were other gifts that amont to another $680,000 and the goal for the foundation is to raise 20 million in a five year period for endowed scholarships.

Here is a link to KJJQ in Brookings. KJJQ covered the conference live and has posted a sound tape of the confence that lasts about 17 minutes.

http://www.depotradio.com/sports.php

Bison49
01-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Big gifts are great...Congrats! The only problem I forsee for SDSU is that they lack annual gifts to Athletics. There is a poor set-up for selling tickets to basketball games. SDSU would be able to make a lot more money if they sold memberships instead of tickets for higher amounts. Also, SDSU lacks community support and business support (i.e. Nagy was quoted saying so today in the Forum). Brookings does not have the economic base to support a Division I school and the businesses in Sioux Falls aren't all that eager to give SDSU money.

Just so you guys don't think I am full of fluff; I grew up near Brookings and still have family around the area.

Charger
01-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Actually endowments are better than annual gifts. They continue to get money every year from these donations, these donations alone will return about $265,000 a year. I'm not sure what you mean about selling memberships instead of tickets because I thought you had to be a member of Jack backers and make a donation to buy season tickets, but I might be wrong. I agree that SDSU does not have total support from Sioux Falls, but I think our imediate community supports us very well and we will continue to gain more support from Sioux Falls after we move up. Money shouldn't be a problem as we move to DI. We have had great success in fund raising in the past and I'm it will continue in the future.

I didn't find the Nagy quote at the Forum web site, so please add a link to the article.

tony
01-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Man, that's great for SDSU. We really have some work to do getting the endowment level up there too.

89rabbit
01-11-2004, 02:55 AM
Big gifts are great...Congrats! *The only problem I forsee for SDSU is that they lack annual gifts to Athletics. *There is a poor set-up for selling tickets to basketball games. *SDSU would be able to make a lot more money if they sold memberships instead of tickets for higher amounts. *Also, SDSU lacks community support and business support (i.e. Nagy was quoted saying so today in the Forum). *Brookings does not have the economic base to support a Division I school and the businesses in Sioux Falls aren't all that eager to give SDSU money. *

Just so you guys don't think I am full of fluff; I grew up near Brookings and still have family around the area. *

Bison49,

I know you are full of fluff, even taking into account your little disclaimer. *Your post isn't really worthy of Bisonville. * I think it would be more appropriate for SiouxSports.com. IMHO. *They had a whole section dedicated to why SDSU shouldn't or couldn't make the move to D-I.

Charger did a nice job of explaining the Sioux Falls and Brookings thing, so I will leave that alone. *However let me educate you as to our annual giving programs at SDSU. *At NDSU you call yours Team Makers, Team Builder or something like that. *At SDSU it is called the Jackrabbit Club. *Their are 8 levels of annual giving starting at $25 and going to $10,000. *Next time you are at a SDSU game buy a program. * Everyone (like myself) who is in the Jackrabbit Club at the Century Club level or higher is listed. *If you would like to be a doner here is a link that will help you support your travel partner to the South.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/JackrabbitClub/Index.cfm

You talked about selling memberships and that SDSU does a "poor set up" selling Basketball tickets. *You might find this hard to believe but where your season tickets are depends on how many points you have, and guess what. . .how much you give the Athletic dept. factors into how many points you get. *Is that what you were looking for?

I know you grew up near Brookings and have family there, but please know what you are talking about before you post. *>:( *Sorry I am a little heated but I expect more from my Bison brothers because you too have gone through all the lies and half truths about the move to D-I.

Go SDSU, Go NDSU, D-I/IAA all the way!

SDSUFAN
01-11-2004, 03:01 PM
I think SDSU will be very much okay.

There are differences between SDSU and NDSU, and that is the Teamakers, though part of the Foundation at NDSU, have kind done their fund raising on their own in the FM business neighborhood.

NDSU might be more of a concentrated effort. *SDSU has had to reach out to all 70 or 80 counties in South Dakota. So it looks like it might be a little thinner in results. *The Jackrabbit Club has fund raisers who work as volunteers, its just that they dont have a jacket like the Teammakers. *;D

Also the SDSU Foundation has been very ambitous and raised money for all the new buildings that you would find at SDSU. *This campaign that has been kicked off by Sid Bostic is the first *major effort that has been done for Athletics. It something that in my opinion should have happened a long time ago, but thats priorities. President Wagner the precedessor to Miller had a different agenda of priorites. Pres Wagner then and now loves SDSU athletics, its just he saw other priorites and moved the Foundation board to work in those directions. *Pres Wagner retired to Black Hills and he and his wife had a bad auto accident from which both recovered. I have seen them at athletic events, but I know they are still very much Jack Fans, and probably support our move to D1.

The additions to the Journalism, Engineering and art Museum and the brand new Performing Art Center right by Frost would never have happened if we were waiting for the SD legistlature to appropriate the funds.

The SDSU Foundation has done more as a group in the last 25 years than the SD legislature, its just not news to public and that is why we have so many naysers and doubter about the D1 move.

Add to that problem a the largest SD newspaper being owned by a USD grad and a local paper, that has been lost in new world and does not do a good job of promoting SDSU athletics.

NDSU_grad
01-12-2004, 02:24 PM
All the stupid negative press surrounding SDSU's DI move has got to get pretty annoying. We haven't had to deal with it as much at NDSU (except from up north). The funny thing is all those naysayers in SD we'll be clamoring for season tickets in a few years once you guys start winning.

Tuk
01-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Both South Dakota and North Dakota State Universities will be fine moving into DI athletics. I think it all comes to how much money each school earns that will ultimately decide the period of time each school will achieve competitive status in collegiate sports.

I think both schools are moving with clear goals and have the support apparatus to complete their objectives of competitive programs in their cornerstone sports of football and basketball.

I think what bothers people the most (the UND's and USD's) is that they are precariously situated in a position that may regulate their institutions to a lesser level, and make NDSU and SDSU premier institutions in the public university systems. Add to that their natural opposition to the moves of both schools and it brings a lot of negativity to the move to DI. I guess the best thing to say is they will ultimately be silenced or muted as each school shows wins on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

89rabbit
01-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Amen, Brother!

JBB
01-12-2004, 11:25 PM
I wonder what the NDSU scholarship endowment fund is? I think endowments are great. I would like to contribute to it.

Of course, as a condition to my gift I may insist on final scheduling authority. As we have all learned, if your going to give you have to get. At this point in time I do not want anything to do with internal academic affairs and am completely satisfied with all operations and staff including the president.

ndsubison
01-13-2004, 05:29 AM
I wonder what the NDSU scholarship endowment fund is? *I think endowments are great. *I would like to contribute to it. *

Of course, as a condition to my gift I may insist on final scheduling authority. *As we have all learned, if your going to give you have to get. *At this point in time I do not want anything to do with internal academic affairs and am completely satisfied with all operations and staff including the president.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JACKGUY
01-13-2004, 05:32 AM
BISON 49 Do your homework prior to making a post that is totally unfounded. You have obviously been away from Brookings so long that you have no clue as to what is happening at SDSU. We are doing just find and will make the move just as seemless as our soon to be travel partner NDSU!

Bison49
01-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Well, I did do my homework. I just spoke with friends who work at SDSU and reconfirmed everything I was thinking. I would love to see SDSU go D-I, I never said I didn't want them to. Growing up around there and still knowing several people in the community and alumni, I think you have a tougher time than we do. I do wish you the best of luck; it just concerns me a little bit because I have heard rumblings that the coaches and the community aren't really into the move. We need a travel partner so I hope the state of SD and Brookings gets behind you.

By the way, don't you ever, ever, compare me to a UND fan. That is completely degrading. The only team I hate as much or more than UND is USD.

Growing up the belief was: the good, SDSU; the bad, Augustana (Doggies); the ugly, USD

SDSUFAN
01-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Well, I did do my homework. *I just spoke with friends who work at SDSU and reconfirmed everything I was thinking. *I would love to see SDSU go D-I, I never said I didn't want them to. *Growing up around there and still knowing several people in the community and alumni, I think you have a tougher time than we do. *I do wish you the best of luck; it just concerns me a little bit because I have heard rumblings that the coaches and the community aren't really into the move. *We need a travel partner so I hope the state of SD and Brookings gets behind you.

By the way, don't you ever, ever, compare me to a UND fan. *That is completely degrading. *The only team I hate as much or more than UND is USD. *

Growing up the belief was: the good, SDSU; the bad, Augustana (Doggies); the ugly, USD
Bison 49:
Put it all on the table. Which coaches are not in favor of the move? Name them. You should be able to since you have such informed contacts at SDSU. Dont tell me you been talking to Lorna Jost.

JACKGUY
01-15-2004, 06:49 PM
I have not heard one coach not come out excited and enthusiastic about the move and I don't think they are being manipulated by the administration to do so. Why wouldn't they want to compete at a higher level and test their coaching abilities against the best. Coach Nagy had interviewed for a DI coaching position and now he gets to stay in Brookings at a school and town he has grown to love. Coach Johnston and Coach Stig have said on record numerous times how much they are looking forward to the transition of scheduling DI games and recruiting. I've heard the same with some of the non-revenue sports such as volleyball,baseball and wrestling etc. Bison 49 next time your in Brookings at a Jacks game buy a program and look at the various levels of giving by both individuals and corporations that are listed. I believe SDSU with it's system of assigning season ticket seats based on donations and earning points is one of the better organized programs in the conference and DII. That coupled with the formidible SDSU Foundation that has showed its organizational abilities to raise millions of dollars is why SDSU is poised and ready to make this move. This is not a Brookings undertaking, but rather a statewide/regional initiative. Frankly, some of the old guard in Brookings who are very opposed to change have not been at the forefront of bettering SDSU. They want to be a big fish in their small pond rather than see SDSU grow into something that 15-20 years from now will be a major force in DI academics and athletics.

JBB
01-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Nobody likes leaving the NCC, but those schools made their decision when they opposed the DI proposal. SDSU and NDSU have to move ahead.

NDSU said if coaches and players didnt like the move they would completely understand and support any of them that wanted to leave. Im sure the same policy exists at SDSU. Why wouldnt it? It could mean a heck of a lot of unexpected work for a coach and a big unwelcome change of venue for the athletes. I think it would be apparent by now if any of the coaches or staff were unsatisfied with the move.

There are a lot of people against the move in Fargo too, mainly because of the NCC, but probably no more than in Brookings. Brookings is a much smaller place. Each persons opinion has a stronger impact. Im sure there will be no change of course. You can sit on the fence hoping to say I told you so, or you can get on board. Eventually, everyone will be.

JACKGUY
01-16-2004, 02:31 PM
I agree the strong ties and tradition are what is upsetting a lot of people. Heck I'm not completely satisfied with leaving the NCC as it truly is the best DII conference in the country. The people who are against the move in North Dakota and South Dakota are the vocal who keep capturing the headlines. IMHO this is the best thing for the long term future of the schools.