PDA

View Full Version : Whaddupp D?!?!

ndsubison
01-19-2004, 07:28 AM
D-just a simple question: why do you spend more time on bisonville.com than sucksports.com? Maybe you should jump on the GOTRAIN instead of swirling down the d2 train with your Crookston bretheren. Just a thought :-/

GO BISON!! siouxwho?

D
01-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Too much hockey traffic over there, not enough football and basketball talk. If I had my way there would be about 50 guys talking football and basketball all day over there, but there aren't. I'm not too big on hockey to put it kindly, don't think it requires much athletic talent. I'd pay to see Wayne Gretzky do through the NFL combine and look at his numbers, that's a hole nother deal, though. I just have way too much useless sports knowledge in this head that needs to be put to use somewhere. ;)

ndsubison
01-19-2004, 07:49 AM
That's my wholepoint, D. *Why follow a bunch of kelly green turtle neck wearing chomos when you could jump on the BISON (not band) WAGON? *It's not too late, you know 8) We're going places, und is treading water. And that's putting it kindly. :P

D
01-19-2004, 08:02 AM
If only it was that simple. *I do know quite a few Bison coaches, and Don Larson, the track coach, is one of the nicest guys I've ever kept company with in my life. *I also get a lot of Bison inside-info, most of which is unrepeatable except for the occasional recruit commitment or 2 that I am given clearance to discuss, but no one believes it because I am a Sioux fan so it is thought to be unfactual, not the case though. *Lucas Moorman, for instance, the 6-9 center out of Dickinson, committed to NDSU on either New Years day or New Years Eve day, I posted and no one replied so I figured no one believes it. *That is what I am good for, plus I am not the typical see-no-evil, hear-no-evil fan in that I am fairly unbiased. *Bison fan, no way, Bison respector, certainly. *Another thing I do pretty well is get long-winded. The Sioux will be there within 5 years though, anyway, so everything will be back to normal soon enough.

Bisonfan1234
01-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Not that it matters, but hockey guys (esp NHL greats) are easily right up there with the best athletes in the world. Hockey takes tramendous stamina posteror (sp) chain strength. They might not be the strongest, but i'm sure they're very quick as well as conditioned.

ndsubison
01-19-2004, 07:12 PM
I don't care if the sport is thumb wrestling--anybody who takes their respective sport to the collegiate level or the professional level has gotta have some athletic genes in his/her body. *Also, a hockey player HAS to be in shape to withstand some of the vicious hits they take on the boards and it takes one tough mo-fo to crash through plexiglass, scrap with opposing fans, then get back out there :o. *

Side Note: *ANY INFERENCE TO MY COMPLIMENTING THE und hockey team IS STRICTLY UNINTENTIONAL AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS SUCH ;)

While we're on the topic, I think soccer is a pansy sport but I've played it and it is no doubt one of the most grueling things I've done. *Those guys are athletes and they should be credited as such. *

D----I hope und makes the move in 5 yrs. *I really do. *By then NDSU will be an established program and we can get back to dishing out the beatings on the FB field like it used to be and like it should be. * ;D

tony
01-19-2004, 07:45 PM
D, as a rational voice of UND, is a great asset to the board (thanks, D).

On the other thing, UND can't go DI in the next five years as things stand. Prez Kupchella has been telling everybody who'll listen how DI is the Devil (except hockey). AD Thomas has spent the last three years swearing on a stack of Bibles that UND will not go DI. Coach Lennon has been telling recruits this year that UND won't go DI for at least five years. Assorted others have been being obnoxious about the whole thing, trying to convince the rest of the NCC to avoid scheduling NDSU as some sort of punishment.

The only way UND can go DI and retain any semblance of credibility is to replace Kupchella and Thomas first.

WYOBISONMAN
01-19-2004, 08:05 PM
I have enjoyed D's posts and found the information to be interesting and fairly unbiased. *Clearly he is the most rational Sioux fan on any of these boards.....which probably gets him in trouble with the irrational Sioux Fans over on Siouxsports.com.

D----you better be careful or Jim Dahl will pout and ban you if you are too unbiased..... ;)

D
01-19-2004, 08:16 PM
I have enjoyed D's posts and found the information to be interesting and fairly unbiased. *Clearly he is the most rational Sioux fan on any of these boards.....which probably gets him in trouble with the irrational Sioux Fans over on Siouxsports.com. *

D----you better be careful or Jim Dahl will pout and ban you if you are too unbiased..... ;)

Luckily my clever intuition lead me to giving myself different names on the boards, so I've covered my back pretty well. As far as hockey goes, sure you have to be in shape to play it, but do you need to be a great athlete like you do in football and basketball? Here is something I've always argued, how many Canadians do you see in the NFL, NBA, and MLB. Same goes for Russians and Fins. How many Canadian, Russian, and Fin Olympic sprinting champs have their been (Donovan Bailey doesn't count either)? Not too many on both accounts. Sure, you could argue that football and baseball aren't as popular (at all) in those countries, but I'd expect more to have slipped through the cracks then actually have. Whether it is a valid argument or not, I think it has a lot of merit to it. I've gotten myself into quite a bit of trouble with it , also. :)

Bisonfan1234
01-19-2004, 08:25 PM
In football and basketball the ability (at least for skill players) to run fast and jump high is crutial. Not to be racist but black people are usually the best at both of these. Canada, Russia, and Finland have few black people (Canada might have the most with cities like Vancouver and Toronto). So there is one reason. Another reason is that hockey is glorified in those countries more than any other sport. Those 2 reasons are enough to keep the track,fball, and bball stars of those countries out of our countries's professional leagues.

ndsubison
01-19-2004, 08:40 PM
I have enjoyed D's posts and found the information to be interesting and fairly unbiased. *Clearly he is the most rational Sioux fan on any of these boards.....which probably gets him in trouble with the irrational Sioux Fans over on Siouxsports.com. *

D is about the only und poster I've encountered who has some sensibilities to him and I applaud him for that. In no way was I slamming him as an individual because I believe that would be tasteless. I enjoy D's input on the board and I'm pretty confident everybody else does, too. It's just that I cannot resist ribbing a s--ux fan! ;D

SDbison
01-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks D for participating in this board as a UND supporter who is informed and able to put together meaningful and insightful commentary without a bunch of spelling and grammatical errors (unlike Sioux Rock and his many aliases).
As for the comments about hockey I hate to disappoint you and other Bison fans but Hockey is a great sport that demands more stamina, strength, accuracy, agility, and upper / lower body coordination than any of the other top sports in the USA. It is too bad that most people, even those in the northern US, have never skated or played hockey in some form. I played most sports when a I was young.....football, basketball, baseball and hockey) and continue to competitively play basketball and hockey at 45 years old.
All the moves and decisions required by hockey have to be made very quickly due to the speed of the sport. As for strength I can tell you that I have never felt the fatique brought on by a good game of hockey as compared to the other sports. Just mix in up along the boards or in front of the net without upper body strength and you will end up on your butt. Just try to get off a good wrist shot or slap shot without strong arms. Much as I love football and appreciate basketball, I am in awe of some of the moves and stickhandling by the better high school, college and pro athletes in hockey. You see very few pros in football and basketball gasping for air during huddles and free throws. Next time you watch pro hockey look at the guys who just get done with their shift and see how exhausted they look.
Actually I hope NDSU adds hockey sometime soon so we can play UND in some sport. Maybe the Nickel trophy can be transferred over to the result of a hockey series beween UND and NDSU? I don't believe UND will ever make the complete move over to D1 so this would provide a same Division contest (fair to most UND folks since UND would have the more established program).
One other comment. Someone mentioned soccer being such a demanding sport. Please, don't insult the dignity of real sports with this Third World / Euro sport. Sure you have to run a bunch and kick a ball around, but the sport only utilizes half of your body. It is boring to watch, too slow, and is played on too big of a field. The only reason it is enjoying such participation by kids in the US is due to soccer moms who ignorantly believe little Suzy or Tommy won't get hurt. Most importantly the skill sets and investment required are available to most everyone.
P.S.: Come on D, you have too much class to be a UND fan. Are you sure you want to associate with those losers?

NDSU_grad
01-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Too much hockey traffic over there, not enough football and basketball talk. *If I had my way there would be about 50 guys talking football and basketball all day over there, but there aren't. *I'm not too big on hockey to put it kindly, don't think it requires much athletic talent. *I'd pay to see Wayne Gretzky do through the NFL combine and look at his numbers, that's a hole nother deal, though. *I just have way too much useless sports knowledge in this head that needs to be put to use somewhere. ;)

You better be careful what you say. You may get your green mock turtleneck taken away with comments like that. Seriously, though, I also appreciate your posts as you definitely know what you're talking about. Regarding the Moorman kid from Dickinson, is this kid a big-time recruit. As good as Lunde?

D
01-19-2004, 10:51 PM
You better be careful what you say. *You may get your green mock turtleneck taken away with comments like that. *Seriously, though, I also appreciate your posts as you definitely know what you're talking about. *Regarding the Moorman kid from Dickinson, is this kid a big-time recruit. *As good as Lunde?

Moorman will compliment Lunde perfectly. Moorman is 6-9, 6-10, and only weighs about 210 right now. The 2 have the same body, but Lunde is a 4 offensively and Moorman is 5. A friend of mine who writes for the Forum spoke glowingly to me about Lunde on Saturday. With weight, these 2 will solve the Bison's long-standing height problem. The Bison have a huge advantage in Dickinson, should the city continue to prduce quality basketball players, as it has for the past few years. I know the coach there pretty well. He went to HS at Minot Ryan, and his head coach was Doyle Plecity, the former WF coach who was one of Miles' assistant coaches the last few years, but I don't think he's there this year. Anyway, a direct connection like that can do wonders. I'd doubt there will be anything written on Moorman's commitment to NDSU until signing day or just before.

NDSU_grad
01-20-2004, 03:08 AM
I had two cousins that went to Minot Ryan and played under Plecity. Man could that guy scream.

wfduck
01-20-2004, 03:48 AM
which is why Doyle :-Xwas a volunteer assistant for Miles....

tony
01-20-2004, 03:17 PM
To follow up an earlier point (UND can't go DI and remain credible for at least five years), there was an article in the Grand Forks Herald today.

NCC looking for right fit (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/7750156.htm)

The NCC's commissioner, Mike Marcil, says that he's been assured by all the other schools that nobody else is going DI. If UND goes DI within the next five years, they won't have any credibility with anybody.

The other note was that UMD's coach doesn't want NDSU on the schedule.

GFBison
01-21-2004, 12:02 AM
From the UIU site.
The Upper Iowa football team closed the 2003 season with a 54-7 loss at Simpson Saturday afternoon. *The Peacocks finished the campaign with a 1-9 record.

That should be a good game, I see Bubba schedules weaker teams then UND *:D!!! *

Appears that UIU just reclassified, how can Bubba play them? Playoff implications?

http://www.uiu.edu/athletics/teams/mens/m_football_d2.html

Ricky1
01-21-2004, 03:53 AM
Your right--UND will go within 5 years but they do not have enough money to do it now and they know it! NDSU has more money and are able to take a chance earlier then UND can--that being said, you can talk all you want about leaving D2 behind but UND will be along for the ride sooner than we think. Their fundraising mentalities up there are changing, which they will have to if they think they are gonna go D1-AA.

Bottom line--UND isn't ready and they know it. SDSU sure is hell isn't ready, also.