PDA

View Full Version : press conference about sac st. athletics today

somebison
01-21-2004, 06:23 PM
picked this off the sac st. board.. it has been a slow day :)

to be discussed. conference affiliation, football, and everybody's favorite terry wanless.. press conference is at 3:30 (1:30 granola time) report will be posted later at

www.csus.edu/president

a couple of stories to go with it

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/8136748p-9068634c.html

a column

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/8136749p-9068632c.html

Bison_Kent
01-21-2004, 06:38 PM
This might be the news that has been speculated over the past few months. From the Sac Bee article, it looks like Sac State will be looking at a new conference.

I believe the Big Sky will drop them if they look for a conference for other sports.

This may be bad news for Sac State but good news for NDSU and SDSU in the hopes for the Big Sky.

WYOBISONMAN
01-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Sounds like the BSC ought to be looking real hard at NDSU right about now.

SkyRider
01-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Interesting, for sure. The Sac fans are pretty quiet on their board, so they may know/suspect something. There's a thread on the ISU board (bengalnation.net) about this, and it sounds like the commisioner has again mentioned the Dakota's as possibilities.

Still keeping the fingers crossed for you...

JBB
01-21-2004, 08:08 PM
If Sac State did join the Big West their football team would probably be welcome in the Great Western. That would be a great move for them, trading two Montana trips, Idaho, N.Az, SLC and Portland for 2 Dakota trips, Co. and SLC would be a good move. If the 2 Dakota schools ended up in the BSC Sac State would be a good insurance policy for the rest of the league. Of course, UNC might be the perfect replacement for Sac State too.

I dont know what the chances are, but from the sounds of it I think a realignment is more probable than dropping football. Thats just a challenge. Increasing dorm capacity from 1,500 to 5,000 will triple attendance so footballs future looks rosy.

tony
01-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Kind of thinking the same things JBB was except if (a mighty big IF, I might add) Sac State joins the Big West, the Big Sky might want to look at adding three former NCC schools.

Even if they join the Big West, the new football conference would definitely take them. I really hope they don't drop football.

On a positive note, the new basketball/volleyball complex sounds great.

Bisonfan1234
01-21-2004, 08:24 PM
That and right in the article the president clearly says that as far as he's concerned football stays and they stay in the big sky.

With a new 8000 seat srena being built, Sac State maybe too good of an asset for the big sky to give up.

WYOBISONMAN
01-21-2004, 08:26 PM
I still think that with the budget issues that CA is facing, Sac State will be hard pressed to upgrade anything. The Governator may tell them NO....

Bison_Kent
01-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Even if they do find the resourses to build the arena, there is no guarantee that they will get 8,000 in the stands. *Right now, in Big Sky play they rarely are over 1,000 per game. *Just a quick look at their stats, I see a lot of 800, 900 and 1,000 attended games. *Their capacity is 1,400. *If they aren't selling out now, what makes one think they can do it in the future? *

I would say that a newer facility would help attendence but to jump from 1,000 to any where close to 8,000 might be asking too much.

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2004, 09:01 PM
~I might have heard wrong but the RUMOR is if something happens where Sac ST. does leave the Big Sky......NDSU and SDSU would have the inside track because we would be considered "traveling partners"......correct me if Im wrong.......also.....is it safe to say, talking about football...that NDSU will either join the Big Sky if we are allowed to, and then if that doesnt happen we will surely be in that new conference with UNC, UCD, and others? if we end up in the new conference I wonder what happens with basketball, conferencewise?

Bisonfan1234
01-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Mid con probably. And if we're going to be in that conf for bball...might as well be in a conf for football that is around there. Gateway sounds good.

As for sac state, they are averaging more than 71% of their arena sold.

So with a new 8000 arena that works out to about 5714 per game. I'm sure the big sky would want in on that.

Bison_Kent
01-21-2004, 11:37 PM

So with a new 8000 arena that works out to about 5714 per game. I'm sure the big sky would want in on that.

With that logic, why not just build a 50,000 seat arena and get over 35,000 per game.

I could see Sac State geting double what they get now but not much else. Build a 5,000 seat arena that is expandable and go from there.

It is looking like the Big Sky might not have a choice what they want in Sacramento. It is Sac State that is looking at intiating the move the Big West.

D
01-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Mid con probably. And if we're going to be in that conf for bball...might as well be in a conf for football that is around there. Gateway sounds good.

If they fill 71% of their old stadium, how does mean they will fill 71% of their new stadium? That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. That % has no bearing whatsoever on a new stadium, nor will anyone involved with the Big Sky even consider the 71%scenario you described. If the product was halfways decent, the current basketball facility would sell out all 1400 seats.

somebison
01-21-2004, 11:44 PM
here is the task force report.. (i think)

http://www.csus.edu/president/athletictaskforce.htm

"6. The President should continue to explore conference affiliation that will ensure success for all athletic programs as well as combining the goals of maintaining quality of competition and the promotion of natural regional rivalries. This investigation should include a review of the status quo, the Western Athletic Conference (WAC), the Big West Conference, and other emerging conference affiliations."

I am sure the WAC is holding their breath waiting for sac st.

Bison_Kent
01-22-2004, 12:28 AM
If they fill 71% of their old stadium, how does mean they will fill 71% of their new stadium? That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

D,

Exactly what I was getting at with my remarks.

Bisonfan1234
01-22-2004, 12:46 AM
I don't think it's so rediculous when it's a small jump from 1400 to 8000, but when the jump is bigger (50000) it obviously won't hold true.

I still say they'll average at least 5000.

WYOBISONMAN
01-22-2004, 01:54 AM
That is just plain ass absurd logic. Geez....I couldn't even defend that argument drunk!?!?

BisonInTexas
01-22-2004, 03:21 AM
Obviously Bisonfan1234 is counting on Sac State to cover the new bigger arena with Field Turf and that will account for the surge in attendance. ;D ::)

Craig

NDSU_grad
01-22-2004, 03:37 AM
I think for Sac State to reach the 5000 mark they would have to join the Mid-Con. ;D

somebison
01-22-2004, 02:44 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/8141570p-9073424c.html

apparently football wasn't directly mentioned... the conference affiliation issue will be decided by the end of the semester

WYOBISONMAN
01-22-2004, 03:17 PM
The Sac Staters are trying to spin this one in a positive light and say they are in the BSC to stay.....What a joke. This whole thing sounds like they may well dump football and likely move conferences. Check out some of these other boards and jump in to the debate.... ;D

http://bigskyconference.community.everyone.net/community/scripts/topics.pl?NodeID=207903&ClientID=1224590

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/viewforum.php?f=15

http://www.snapapps.com/snapchat/Message.aspx

http://www.anygivensaturday.org/cgi-bin/board/cutecast.pl?session=jtwPg6RmYnKdBDoleUK1M5udKI&for um=1

http://www.eteamz.com/I-AAfootball/messageboards/index.cfm?board=69229&boardaction=board&subsite=15 03316

....All these are good DI-AA boards to join and all have great information.

Sac_State
01-22-2004, 03:28 PM
[quote author=WYOBISONMAN
....All these are good DI-AA boards to join and all have great information.
[/quote]

Your the joke. All these high school boards you listed are inhabited by high school year book editors. Get your facts straight you dickhead.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/8141570p-9073424c.html

WYOBISONMAN
01-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Hmmm.......Sac Staters must be in a bit of a panic today with such classy name calling like ...."dickhead"... ;D

I doubt that boards like "EGRIZ" are inhabited by HS yearbook editors.

Spin....Spin.....Spin....Spin....Spin *(the game plan at Sac State) ;)

Sac_State
01-22-2004, 07:03 PM
I doubt that boards like "EGRIZ" are inhabited by HS yearbook editors.

Only when you are there spreading false rumors. You initiated the topic, i don't see any Griz, Hornet or other Sky teams alluding to your statement.

WYOBISONMAN
01-22-2004, 07:08 PM
I hope we play you guys....just to show you what a real FB team can do...

Sac_State
01-22-2004, 07:55 PM
I hope we play you guys....just to show you what a real FB team can do...

Yeah! That will prove a point. How can you associate a dumbass post made by you to a football game?

D
01-23-2004, 04:52 AM

I couldn't help but bring up the 71% theory again. ;D It has honestly kept me laughing for 2 days straight and should no doubt enter the bisonville.com Hall of Shame :D as the dumbest idea/theory ever mentioned.

Bisonfan1234
01-23-2004, 05:06 AM
Like i said, it makes sense when you're doign a small jump...ie 1400 to 8000.

But if you're going to make up something rediculous like 1400 to 50000....well, then it probably won't hold up.