PDA

View Full Version : Sac St. President speech 1/22

Sac_State
01-22-2004, 08:25 PM
http://www.csus.edu/president/springaddress012204.htm

Prez. Gonzalez had the official PR this morning.

Facts mentioned:

1. Destination campus by 2010
2. Flagship status
3. 5,000 residential students
4. 8K arena/student wellness center
5. Rebuild Hornet stadium into a combined sports facility
6. Performing arts center

NO MENTION of changing, eliminating or switching allegiances, activities or associations.

D
01-22-2004, 08:30 PM

Facts mentioned:

2. Flagship status

NO MENTION of changing, eliminating or switching allegiances, activities or associations.

He didn't mention anything about your "basketball team" working lay-up drills after they missed 16 of them in their last game?

somebison
01-22-2004, 08:43 PM

Facts mentioned:

2. Flagship status

can you read??

After several weeks of meetings and interviews, they compiled their findings into a report they gave to me at the end of last semester. Among their recommendations were that we improve and/or build new facilities; that we examine our conference affiliation; and that the athletic director report to me.

golly gee.. sounds to me like he mentioned possibly switching allegiances, activities or associations.

Sac_State
01-22-2004, 08:44 PM
He didn't mention anything about your "basketball team" working lay-up drills after they missed 16 of them in their last game?

One step at a time. Well see how they do against ISU tonight.

Sac_State
01-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Isn't NDSU evaluating its conference affiliation?

Any school would be foolish to not have a handle on demographics, trends, facilities, funding, etc. In a budget situation, you re-evaluate your expenses. Golly gee...S. Utah's HC resigned today. I guess using your logic the school is going to drop football.

Playing in the WAC, which Sac St. was a member in baseball and softball, would be better than the Sky for all sports, including football.

Bison_Kent
01-22-2004, 08:53 PM
They held a pair of public forums, met with the coaching staff, athletics administration, elected officials and business leaders—all to gather opinions on the direction and role of athletics at CSU Sacramento. They also examined community interest, conference affiliation and facilities needs, and sought to define the benefits of a successful program.

After several weeks of meetings and interviews, they compiled their findings into a report they gave to me at the end of last semester. Among their recommendations were that we improve and/or build new facilities; that we examine our conference affiliation; and that the athletic director report to me. In addition, the Task Force raised issues related to student housing and student success. As you may have read in the Sacramento Bee, we will be following up on the recommendations and provide some clear direction during the next few months. I’ll keep you informed on the implementation of major parts of the report.
directly from the speech

1. Discussions of conference affliation. (Why bring this up if the Big Sky is where you want to be in the future?)

2. Clear direction in the next few months. (The month of May we should know what Sac State is doing).

3. AD will report to the president. (The president must want more control over the athletic department.)

4. Examined community interest (Would fans be more interested in seeing UC-Davis and Cal-Poly or Idaho State and Northern Arizona on the schedule?)

5. Facility upgrades. (Basketball/Volleyball arena plans, no football plans.)

This is what I got out it and yes, it is my opinion. Why would you state something like this if you planned on staying at the status quo?

There was no mention of any sport in particular but building an arena first tells me that the number 1 sport at CSU-S is basketball or volleyball. Football has to rank second. Otherwise, football would be getting the facility upgrades first.

Sac_State
01-22-2004, 09:04 PM
We have a fine stadium is why. It is better than SDSU's, but not as good as UM's. The basketball gym is a no brainer. The arena is paramount and it will be built next to the stadium to incorporate part of the arena building into the football stadium. Our football stadium is good enough for the Olympic Trials this summer, I think it is good enough for the Sky football opponents.

He mentioned basic facts, because the previous CSUS president for 18 years never said anything. And if you have read the task force recommendation, you will note the first thing said was 'a requirement of the CSUS President to identify publicaly his intentions and goals for the CSUS campus.'

If you read the PR from this morning 1/22, you will notice his remark of rebuilding Hornet Stadium.

Ah hell, I am tired of trying to debate a point that is moot to NDSU.

If anything, I think the ND government is going to rescind its approval of NDSU moving up. You still do not have a conference or have one planned, NDSU moving up was based on having a conference. Sounds to me, NDSU is in a more precarious position than Sac.

tony
01-22-2004, 09:15 PM
The basketball team needs a new place much more than the football team. After all, NDSU is discussing building/upgrading the BB arena too and it doesn't mean the football team is a lower priority :)

As long as we have a Sac State fan here, I'm curious: which conference do you want the Hornets to be in?

From an NDSU perspective, we'd sure like to see Sacramento State go someplace besides the Big Sky. First, it makes adding new teams more of a priority for the BSC. Second, it eliminates Wanless's "No vote" for NDSU's admission.

I don't see what running Sac State down accomplishes though.

NDSU_grad
01-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Sac-State,
What is your personal opinion of the Hornets leaving the Big Sky and joining the Big West, Great Western for football. Is the Big Sky a better b-ball conference? Would it greatly reduce travel costs for your athletic program? Just looking for your opinion.

somebison
01-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Our football stadium is good enough for the Olympics this summer

last time i checked the olympic were in greece

on a serious note maybe el presidente wants to join the big west/new football conference.. it would help current sports without an affiliation and the money saved by bus trips vs plane trips could be put into facilities (hoops)

Bisonfan1234
01-22-2004, 09:27 PM
golly gee.. sounds to me like he mentioned possibly switching allegiances, activities or associations.

Are you kidding?!

It was SUGGESTED by a third-party that they simply examine their conference affiliation.

So what? That doesn't mean they're changing conference.

WYOBISONMAN
01-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Honestly, I enjoy the disputes with the Sac Staters on this board. While we obviously view the information coming out of Sacramento very differently, it is good to get some hot debate from them supporting thier team.

Sac_State
01-22-2004, 11:25 PM
http://www.sactosaurus.com

look under forum and Sac State athletics.

That is a good supporting thread to retain football.

"From an NDSU perspective, we'd sure like to see Sacramento State go someplace besides the Big Sky. First, it makes adding new teams more of a priority for the BSC. Second, it eliminates Wanless's "No vote" for NDSU's admission."

That statement alone presents a negative conotation towards the well being of Sac State and will get a negative response of NDSU joining the Sky from Sac State supporters.

Posted by: NDSU_grad Posted on: Today at 3:15pm
Sac-State,
What is your personal opinion of the Hornets leaving the Big Sky and joining the Big West, Great Western for football. *Is the Big Sky a better b-ball conference? *Would it greatly reduce travel costs for your athletic program? *Just looking for your opinion. *

The Hornets and really all western college teams have been nomads forever, jumping and forming conference alliances every few years. Recently, after a long voyage, the CSU's and UC's are gravitating towards a regional, fixed, restrained and limited athletic budget conference. The committments towards athletics at these schools have resulted in the elimination of the football programs. The public's perception of these low budget 'bus leagues' is second tier, as evidenced by the lack of attendance and commitment to athletic facilities. That is why San Jose, San Diego and Fresno bolted the old PCAA, now the Big West. To be credible and gain fan support you must sponsor football and play universities with a like minded presence in its community. I don't see the new conference lasting long as members form other alliances and leave, the public will recognize that and attendance will suffer. Fresno and the other two used the Big West as a stepping stone into the WAC, as long as the football program wins the fans will come and support the growth, so maybe Sc will take that route? With a new stadium and arena, if they don't start winning consistently look for heads to roll quick.

I say stay put in the Sky and play indie in baseball and softball.

Check the above link, I have similar opinions as to where I would like to see Sac State travel

On another note, I respect the tradition of NDSU. You have a winning program and the only 'beef' that I have is when a few arrogant NDSU fans start popping off about knowing the outcome of Sac State's future. For the most part, I envy your tradition, but Sac State has alot to offer too. Good luck to your search, just not at the expense of Sac State.

tony
01-23-2004, 01:15 AM
Sac-State,

Although you might consider it clear, I didn't know that you viewed switching from the Big Sky to the Big West as negatively impacting the Hornets or I wouldn't have asked you about it, and if I didn't know that you thought the Big West was a step down for Sac State athletics, it's illogical to assume that I'm wishing your school ill. QED.

UC Davis is going to the Big West, for example, and they have a very good athletic department, yet they have no interest in joining the Big Sky. Why the difference?

Sac_State
01-23-2004, 01:40 PM
UC Davis is going to the Big West, for example, and they have a very good athletic department, yet they have no interest in joining the Big Sky. Why the difference?

I am sure being in a heated rivalry with the NDSU-UND hatred, you can appreciate the desire to do something totally opposite of Davis. Davis is joining the Big Worst because they are a fledging IAA school, they don't know any better. Davis will quickly learn that the Big Worst is the Big Worst. They will be the big fish in a cesspool. Besides, Davis had no other choice but to join the BW, there was no other offer, and moving into the Sky would have placed them in the same position as Sac State is in today. Look for more announcements today, Sac State is lobbying hard for admittance into the WAC....stranger things have happened.

There is too much apathy in California towards college athletics in general, joining a conference of like minded apathetic institutions does not bode well for attendance and acceptance by the public. Davis draws well, the majority of their attendees are students and City of Davis people, Sac will do well with our new residential campus plans and the revitalization of our college town near campus.

The Big Worst is an option for Sac State, but an option that will be passed over...quickly.

The BW is strong in baseball, after that quality falls off fast.

JBB
01-23-2004, 04:09 PM
The WAC is a big step up. What happens to football?

WYOBISONMAN
01-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Good point JBB, they don't have a football team that can play in the Big Sky... :o

Sac_State
01-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Good point JBB, they don't have a football team that can play in the Big Sky... :o

And NDSU can't play in the Sky either. ;)

I think 7-4 in 2001 showed we are capable of Sky play. And most games over the past few years have been decided on seconds and inches, but that is what football is, a game of inches. A conference is made up of more than just football.

Of course moving into a bigger league would require more committment. Sac already sponsors ALL conference sports offered by the WAC and Sac has one of the best gender equity % of the Sky members.

It won't happen tomorrow, but that is Sac's ultimate goal. To play in a league with Nevada-Reno, San Jose, Fresno, Davis and San Diego. Too bad UOP and Cal Poly aren't in markets that are big enough to support a more robust program.

NDSU_grad
01-23-2004, 05:44 PM
From your previous post you believe UC-Davis will eventually make the leap to DI then? I think I did hear that from some Davis fans that was their ultimate goal.

WYOBISONMAN
01-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Honestly, D1A does seem to make more sense in CA.

Sac_State
01-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Either move up or out. I think eventually Sac and Davis will position themselves to be in the same conference. There is too much rivalry and attendance for both schools increase dramatically when we play each other in any sport.

All of the CSU's and Davis that are playing football will need to thoroughly address their football ambitions. Outside of the PAC 10, no football school will be able to afford the arms race that is widening the gap between IA, IAA and D2. The WAC and Sky will need to address what it wants to become, or stay happy with the divisional status quo.

WYOBISONMAN
01-23-2004, 07:02 PM
But....when the entire NCAA picture clears (and it may be a few years down the road) I think we will see the BCS schools in one division and probably all the rest in 2 or three divisions. So, NDSU, Montana, Sac State, Davis, etc. would be playing what ever division evolves below the current BCS schools. Just my theory....

Bisonfan1234
01-23-2004, 08:26 PM
But....when the entire NCAA picture clears (and it may be a few years down the road) I think we will see the BCS schools in one division and probably all the rest in 2 or three divisions. *So, NDSU, Montana, Sac State, Davis, etc. would be playing what ever division evolves below the current BCS schools. *Just my theory....

Yup, i agree with this completely.

In fact i can already tell you when this will happen. Whenever the BCS bowl contract is up with the NCAA the BCS schools are going to leave the NCAA and continue the BCS system because it brings in so much money and the rest will be left with the new NCAA football divisions 1 2 and 3 (like the rest of the sports).

Sac_State
01-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Agreed. There will be 64 or 96 BCS teams playing semi-pro ball.

The other divisions are still very unclear. Can Montana stay in the Sky the way it keeps expanding its stadium and only offering 14 varsity sports? Do they move up or keep distancing themselves farther away from E. Washington and ISU in football facilities and attendance? Can Idaho hope to stay IA in its 16,000 Kibbie Dome? Can Sac State, who has big ambitions and market/alumni base compete against Land Grant Constitutionally guaranteed funded universities? Will Wyoming, UTEP, Utah State remain IA?

A good scenario for NDSU and it's tagalong is to upgrade further and play Wyoming, UTEP, NM State, North Texas, Texas State, SMU in some form of new conference. There is going to be many schools in this division that will be excluded from the BCS and don't have the resources to compete (tv market, student body), but entertain large audiences, fan bases and followings.

I think the WAC is trying to become a more Western oriented conference, La. Tech??? and SMU??, give me a break. Sac State would be a perfect 'center of the conference' member, bring along Davis and there is a great market. Nevada, SJSU and Fresno are all hours bus distance and are frequent opponents now. We open next year against Nevada. We play Hawai'i every year in baseball. *

89rabbit
01-23-2004, 10:20 PM
A good scenario for NDSU and it's tagalong *

Suck,

There you go again, I have been leaving you alone, yet you just can't help but come on the Bison Board and dog my Rabbits. If you want to play, come over to our house and play http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl no need to take up the Bison's time with our little spat.

Go SDSU!