PDA

View Full Version : New trophy game???

somebison
12-02-2003, 10:37 PM
maybe a half bison/half rabbit trophy we could call a jackalo? iowa and minnesota play for a pig so it wouldn't be too ridiculous... any thoughts or suggestions

Bisonguy
12-02-2003, 10:39 PM
What happened to the stick? ??? ??? ??? ??? I thought the Teddy Roosevelt connection was put in effect.

IowaBison
12-02-2003, 10:43 PM
I like the idea somebison, but I have trouble imaging a rabbit/bison combo creature.

Do you have a vision of what parts from what animal will be used?

somebison
12-02-2003, 10:44 PM
What happened to the stick? * ??? ??? ??? ??? I thought the Teddy Roosevelt connection was put in effect.

there was a stick game?? if so let's bring it back baby

somebison
12-02-2003, 11:50 PM
http://www.villagephotos.com/image.asp?id_=6738877&sessionkey=

http://www.villagephotos.com/image.asp?id_=6738871&sessionkey=

a couple of early renditions

IowaBison
12-02-2003, 11:55 PM
unless you think a white box with a red cross through it looks like a good trophy somethings gone wrong.

BisonMav
12-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Here is the original topic from August:
Trophy Game with SDSU (http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1059668015)

Bisonfan1234
12-03-2003, 08:38 PM
The Badlands Battle

somebison
12-03-2003, 08:45 PM
The Battle on the Red (river)

brookings isn't located on the red river.. .the red river starts in wahpeton, nd

somebison
01-06-2004, 10:26 PM
NCAA Division II Trophy Games (http://gobulldogs.truman.edu/football/mediaguide/01fbmg5.pdf)

1931-Old Hickory Stick (Truman vs. Northwest Mo.)
1938-Nickel (North Dakota vs. North Dakota State)
1941-Springfield Mayor’s (American Inter. vs. Springfield)
1946-Bronze Derby (Newberry vs. Presbyterian)
1948-Battle Axe (Bemidji State vs. Moorhead State)
1953-Sitting Bull (North Dakota vs. South Dakota)
1960-Textile (Clark Atlanta vs. Fort Valley State)
1960-Victory Carriage (Cal State Sacramento vs. UC Davis)
1970-Bishop’s (Lenoir-Rhyne vs. Newberry)
1971-Top Dog (Butler vs. Indianapolis)
1975-Axe Bowl (Northwood vs. Saginaw Valley)
1975-Old Settler’s Musket (Adams State vs. Fort Lewis State)
1976-Traveling (Ashland vs. Hillsdale)
1976-Battle of the Ravine (Henderson St. vs. Ouachita Baptist)
1977-Wooden Shoes (Grand Valley State vs. Wayne State-Mich.)
1978-Traveling Training Kit (Mankato St. vs. St. Cloud St.)
1979-Governor’s (Central Conn. State vs. Southern Conn. State)
1979-Heritage Bell (Delta State vs. Mississippi College)
1980-Eagle-Rock (Chadron St. vs. Black Hills St.)
1983-Elm City (New Haven vs. Southern Conn. State)
1983-Field Cup (Ky. Wesleyan vs. Evansville)
1984-John Wesley (Ky. Wesleyan vs. Union (Ky.)
1986-Miner’s Bowl (Missouri Southern vs. Pittsburg State)
1986-Wagon Wheel (Eastern N.M. vs. West Texas A&M)
1987-Backyard Bowl (Cheyney vs. West Chester)
1987-East Meets West (Chadron State vs. Peru State)

nickel is second oldest.. do SCSU and Mankato still play for the "Traveling Training Kit" and what the hell is it?

NorthernColorado
01-22-2004, 06:14 PM
How about NDSU vs. UNC.

We could call it the "You kicked our asses for 30 years but now we can compete" trophy. ;D

BisonMav
01-22-2004, 06:35 PM
How about NDSU vs. UNC. *

We could call it the "You kicked our asses for 30 years but now we can compete" trophy. * ;D
Could play for the Golden Sugar Beet.

Bisonfan1234
01-22-2004, 06:36 PM
NCAA Division II Trophy Games (http://gobulldogs.truman.edu/football/mediaguide/01fbmg5.pdf)

1931-Old Hickory Stick (Truman vs. Northwest Mo.)
1938-Nickel (North Dakota vs. North Dakota State)
1941-Springfield Mayor’s (American Inter. vs. Springfield)
1946-Bronze Derby (Newberry vs. Presbyterian)
1948-Battle Axe (Bemidji State vs. Moorhead State)
1953-Sitting Bull (North Dakota vs. South Dakota)
1960-Textile (Clark Atlanta vs. Fort Valley State)
1960-Victory Carriage (Cal State Sacramento vs. UC Davis)
1970-Bishop’s (Lenoir-Rhyne vs. Newberry)
1971-Top Dog (Butler vs. Indianapolis)
1975-Axe Bowl (Northwood vs. Saginaw Valley)
1975-Old Settler’s Musket (Adams State vs. Fort Lewis State)
1976-Traveling (Ashland vs. Hillsdale)
1976-Battle of the Ravine (Henderson St. vs. Ouachita Baptist)
1977-Wooden Shoes (Grand Valley State vs. Wayne State-Mich.)
1978-Traveling Training Kit (Mankato St. vs. St. Cloud St.)
1979-Governor’s (Central Conn. State vs. Southern Conn. State)
1979-Heritage Bell (Delta State vs. Mississippi College)
1980-Eagle-Rock (Chadron St. vs. Black Hills St.)
1983-Elm City (New Haven vs. Southern Conn. State)
1983-Field Cup (Ky. Wesleyan vs. Evansville)
1984-John Wesley (Ky. Wesleyan vs. Union (Ky.)
1986-Miner’s Bowl (Missouri Southern vs. Pittsburg State)
1986-Wagon Wheel (Eastern N.M. vs. West Texas A&M)
1987-Backyard Bowl (Cheyney vs. West Chester)
1987-East Meets West (Chadron State vs. Peru State)

nickel is second oldest.. do SCSU and Mankato still play for the "Traveling Training Kit" and what the hell is it?

Obviously a team left their training kit at the other team's field and that team made the other team play them to get it back ala UMN vs. UMI "Little Brown Jug".

WYOBISONMAN
01-22-2004, 07:16 PM
I think that a trophy should go to the Sac State fans today....it would be a top....since they can spin so well... ;D

SDbison
01-23-2004, 05:52 AM
OK, I have spent quite some time thinking of a good name for the game between NDSU and SDSU and the best I could come up with is one already used by the Bison.........but I think it would work. How about the "Harvest Bowl" (i.e. the link to argriculture in the region)? Since both are landgrant universities, and both are in the Dakota's, the full name could be the"Dakota Grantland Harvest Bowl". I kind of got the idea from the 1976 playoff game with Montana State that was called the "Grantland Rice Bowl". I really don't know the background behind that bowl name, or if it still exists in any form, but I thought it sounded good. As for a trophy, maybe create a rectangular gold plated plaque (approx. 15 in. by 24 in.) with the outline of South Dakota on one side and North Dakota on the other. The gold would symbolize the color of our fields around harvest time. In the middle of each state the universities seal could be etched. Also possibly etch the location of NDSU Fargo and SDSU Brookings on each state. The remaining room around the seals could be used for etching (on the side of the winning team) the year and score of each game (maybe include the name of the game MVP). Like the Nickel trophy the winning team could keep and display the plaque for a year between games. Proper display of the plaque would be to hang it winning side out on a wall or in a trophy case. What do you think? I am really serious about submitting the idea to both universities although I don't have a catchy name for the actual trophy yet. Maybe put a wooden handle on each end of the plaque so it could easily be held over head after the game. Even though my idea is for a rectangular plate or plaque, when I think of two wooden handles I can't help but think of the old bushel basket. Don't know how to tie that into the theme. How about the winning team gets the plaque and a bushel basket filled with bottled beer? Brewed fruits of the harvest, oh yeah!

BisonMav
01-23-2004, 12:30 PM
The plaque could have the future US Quarter design for each state.

BisonInTexas
01-23-2004, 02:38 PM
OK, I have spent quite some time thinking of a good name for the game between NDSU and SDSU and the best I could come up with is one already used by the Bison.........but I think it would work. How about the "Harvest Bowl" (i.e. the link to argriculture in the region)? Since both are landgrant universities, and both are in the Dakota's, the full name could be the"Dakota Grantland Harvest Bowl". I kind of got the idea from the 1976 playoff game with Montana State that was called the "Grantland Rice Bowl". I really don't know the background behind that bowl name, or if it still exists in any form, but I thought it sounded good. As for a trophy, maybe create a rectangular gold plated plaque (approx. 15 in. by 24 in.) with the outline of South Dakota on one side and North Dakota on the other. The gold would symbolize the color of our fields around harvest time. In the middle of each state the universities seal could be etched. Also possibly etch the location of NDSU Fargo and SDSU Brookings on each state. The remaining room around the seals could be used for etching (on the side of the winning team) the year and score of each game (maybe include the name of the game MVP). Like the Nickel trophy the winning team could keep and display the plaque for a year between games. Proper display of the plaque would be to hang it winning side out on a wall or in a trophy case. What do you think? I am really serious about submitting the idea to both universities although I don't have a catchy name for the actual trophy yet. Maybe put a wooden handle on each end of the plaque so it could easily be held over head after the game. Even though my idea is for a rectangular plate or plaque, when I think of two wooden handles I can't help but think of the old bushel basket. Don't know how to tie that into the theme. How about the winning team gets the plaque and a bushel basket filled with bottled beer? Brewed fruits of the harvest, oh yeah!

Grantland Rice was a sports writer in the 20's and 30's. He immortalized the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame. I think the Grantland Rice Bowl used to be a small college bowl game before the advent of playoffs in DII, not a rivalry game with Montana State and NDSU. Those two teams may have met in the bowl game, I am not sure off hand.

Craig

IowaBison
01-23-2004, 11:52 PM
If we start a trophy game with Montana State it should definitely be the Barley Bowl.

Bison_Kent
01-24-2004, 12:25 AM
That sounds good. Maybe it could be a keg with strands of barly coming out the side.

I hope we get a chance to get that rivalry rekindled that Bobcat-Bison landgrant college rivalry.

IowaBison
01-24-2004, 03:49 AM
I think that's a great idea, the first barley bowl could also be the first time REAL tailgating is allowed at the Dome.

WYOBISONMAN
01-24-2004, 10:25 AM
I like that line of thinking...