PDA

View Full Version : Sac State gains trustees approval

Sac_State
01-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Gonzalez's CSUS face-lift plan gets trustees' approval
By Lesli A. Maxwell -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 a.m. PST Wednesday, January 28, 2004
Get weekday updates of Sacramento Bee headlines and breaking news. Sign up here.

Higher education officials on Tuesday approved President Alexander Gonzalez's bid to turn an aging California State University, Sacramento, into a modern university with a vibrant, on-campus life.
The California State University board of trustees' endorsement of the revised master plan for CSUS was an easy step in what will be an expensive and arduous process of transforming the 51-year-old campus into the one Gonzalez envisions.

By 2010, Gonzalez wants 5,000 students living on campus in high-rise apartments. Now, 1,100 students are living in decades-old dormitories -- a number that is dwarfed by the roughly 27,000 who commute to campus for classes. He wants a revitalized athletics program and an 8,000-seat arena to host games, concerts and graduation ceremonies, and he wants a medium-sized performing arts center that would lure community members to the campus.

Gonzalez, who took over as CSUS' leader in July, also will push to tear down 18 buildings at the center of campus and replace them with new high-rise ones.

Some parts of the ambitious blueprint -- like several classroom buildings and converting the concrete center of campus into a park -- have been circulating for more than a decade, but have mostly stalled.

Gonzalez has pledged to launch an aggressive fund-raising campaign to collect private and corporate donations to help pay for many of the projects.

So far, no CSUS officials have said what the cost would be, but the price tag likely would reach into the hundreds of millions of dollars. State dollars for higher education are scarce, and voter support for a $12 billion school construction bond measure in March is uncertain.

The president told a small group of supporters and potential donors last Friday that "inertia ... and people saying that this can't be done" will be the biggest challenge.

But his audience of trustees Tuesday was an easy one. No one expressed dissent or asked how such a dramatic face-lift will be paid for.

"As someone who lives in the region, I know the entire community is in support," said Kyriakos Tsakopoulos, a trustee and son of prominent Sacramento developer Angelo Tsakopoulos.

With CSU's official blessing, CSUS officials can now begin more detailed planning that includes tallying up how much it will cost. One of Gonzalez's priorities will be to hire a new vice president in charge of fund raising.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the Writer
---------------------------

The Bee's Lesli A. Maxwell can be reached at (916) 321-1048 or lmaxwell@sacbee.com.

;)

JACKGUY
01-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Were happy for you. I don't think any of this solves your immediate problem which seems to be apathy for your athletic programs in the greater Sacramento area!

89rabbit
01-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Good luck Sac-State! :)

Go SDSU!

Sac_State
01-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Apathy is a problem with California in general, thats why I don't live there.

Looks like you guys might be getting the call. Strange things are happening. I wouldn't doubt if Sac State, NAU and PSU leave the Sky before its all over. I feel pretty confident that Sac will get it done and strengthen its position. The school has never on a large scale had a major fund drive, $50M was raised about ten years ago, so the region is plum for the asking. Sac State has never had this kind of growth on its master plan, once approved by the trustees it is up to the school to get the majority of the funds. Davis is on a different fund raising scale, Sac State has a great niche market and alumni population business/corporation base from which to draw.

The student newspaper supports it, the ASI president supports it, all systems are go. Plus Sac State will try like hell to match our neighbor across the Causeway. The Sac/Davis rivalry is separated by a 10 mile floodplain, so the two will have their natural fan base.

It's a win-win-win for everyone.

tony
01-29-2004, 09:14 PM
That sounds great plan for the future of Sacramento State.

WYOBISONMAN
01-29-2004, 11:39 PM
With a large school like Sac State in Sacremento I think the population is damn foolish to not support it. I statnd by my opinion that you have a long ways to go, but I hope you get there. The more quality programs in the West the better for all of us.

I am curious as to why you think NAU would leave the Sky? Sac has quite a bit to gain by doing so, and by that I mean rivalries with other CA schools that would draw more people. I am not sure that NAU would benefit at all from a move from the BSC. NAU put out a solid football team, so the product is there. I am also curious as to whether or not you think Montana will remain in the BSC or try to jump to DI-A....

89rabbit
01-29-2004, 11:47 PM
I think Sac-State's comments about NAU might have something to do with this piece:

http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/nav_includes/story.cfm?storyID=80990

Editorial: NAU athletics due for a rethinking

01/27/2004

NAU President John Haeger says it's time for a new direction in the Athletics Department. . .

For a program that already enjoys lukewarm campus support at best, that's an opportunity to not only change directions but rethink the entire premise for a comprehensive Division I athletics program at a school such as NAU. . .

GoAgs
01-30-2004, 12:20 AM
With a large school like Sac State in Sacremento I think the population is damn foolish to not support it.

Why? Within a 90 minute drive you have teams from the NFL (2), NBA (2), NHL, and Pac-10 (2). California is full of frontrunners, just look at USC and Cal. SC doesn't typically draw well (well under 5,000 for MBB) and they have 30,000 students in the largest city on the west coast. While Sac's facilities are not terrible (except the gym), they are not a draw on their own like Pac-Bell park or Haas Pavillion. Sac State has a history of kicking it's own fans in the balls by giving away free tickets, and throwing money at billboards and uniforms every year.

On top of that when Sac State has a chance to help it's public image with the Causeway Classic they usually blow it. This year they decided to only open four ticket windows. Several thousand people decided to listen to the game in the parking lot or leave. The line was still huge at halftime. I have run into several people that have no affiliation to either school but said they would never attend another athletic event at Sac State.

Sac_State
01-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Why? Within a 90 minute drive you have teams from the NFL (2), NBA (2), NHL, and Pac-10 (2). California is full of frontrunners, just look at USC and Cal. SC doesn't typically draw well (well under 5,000 for MBB) and they have 30,000 students in the largest city on the west coast. *While Sac's facilities are not terrible (except the gym), they are not a draw on their own like Pac-Bell park or Haas Pavillion. Sac State has a history of kicking it's own fans in the balls by giving away free tickets, and throwing money at billboards and uniforms every year.

I don't agree with that. UCF, UAB and USF are three 're-vitilized' schools that have either started or gone from D2 to IA is a mere decade and have done quite well.

Don't cast stones, the davis solution to the Causeway isn't better. Trying to shove 20,000 people into your 9,000 seat field is ridiculous and then you play a 'home' game in Sacramento at a facility worse than Hornet Stadium. I've stood many a minute waiting in line at the davis baseball facility and getting a ticket to Causeway when davis is hosting is impossible.

Why were you discussing Sac State with people who have no affiliation to Sac State? It amazes me how the davis people hate and loathe Sac State so much they continually talk and discuss our business and happenings.
Thanks. ;)