PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly SLO AD leaves

Sac_State
02-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Hmmm, if the new GWC or whatever is so promising, wonder why the CPSLO AD jumped ship? W/o a strong A-D, the laces could become unraveled in establishing membership in a new conference.

Good luck, CPSLO

McCutcheon Named Director Of Athletics at UMass
Feb. 4, 2004 AMHERST, Mass. - University of Massachusetts Amherst Chancellor John V. Lombardi announced this afternoon that John F. McCutcheon has been named the University's new permanent director of athletics. McCutcheon replaces Ian McCaw, who left UMass in September to become athletic director at Baylor University. The announcement was made at a 3:30 p.m. news conference at the Mullins Center at UMass Amherst.

"UMass Amherst is delighted to welcome John McCutcheon as permanent director of athletics," Lombardi said. "He brings a solid record of accomplishment, strong managerial and fund-raising skills, and proven ability to steer our program toward greater success. John is also familiar with the New England sports environment and has all the talents necessary to meet the high expectations of our athletes and staff, students, faculty, fans, and alumni supporters."

Lombardi said while the UMass athletic program is in a period of transition, having McCutcheon as its director will build on the existing strengths and record of success. "John McCutcheon's appointment is a key step required to get moving toward improving our top-ranked athletic programs," Lombardi said.

"I am extremely honored to have been given the opportunity to be the next athletic director at the University of Massachusetts," McCutcheon said today. "It is my goal to provide the direction, enthusiasm and leadership to make UMass athletics a program in which our students, alumni and supporters can take great pride. I look forward to addressing whatever challenges we may face as we build on the tradition of the University of Massachusetts athletic program."

McCutcheon becomes the sixth permanent athletic director at UMass since 1911, The five previous directors were Curry Starr Hicks (1911-1948), Warren P. McGuirk (1948-1971), Frank McInerney (1972-1992), Robert Marcum, (1993-2002), and McCaw (2002-2003).

McCutcheon comes to the University from California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo where he has been the Director of Athletics since 1992. At Boston College, he served as associate athletic director for business and operations from June 1991 to Aug. 1992. Prior to that he was an assistant athletic director from July 1988 to June 1991, and athletic business manager from July 1980 to July 1988. He was assistant athletic manager at the University of Maine, Orono, from July 1977 to July 1980.

Susan Pearson, associate provost for faculty relations and the budget, a co-chair of the search committee, said, "We are delighted that Chancellor Lombardi has appointed John McCutcheon, who won enthusiastic support from the search committee, our coaches, and members of the athletic department staff. John's experience as AD at an academically distinguished Division I-AA university, his extensive Division I intercollegiate athletic experience, his familiarity with intercollegiate athletics in New England and thorough understanding of the issues facing UMass and intercollegiate athletics generally, and his unquestioned integrity make him the ideal candidate to lead our program."

Thorr D. Bjorn, interim athletic director, welcomed McCutcheon's appointment. "I'm very excited to have the opportunity to work with John McCutcheon. Someone of his caliber will do great things for the athletic department. I look forward to working with him for years to come." Bjorn has served as interim athletic director since September.

McCutcheon earned his bachelor of science degree in health, physical education and recreation from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, Penn., in 1975. He also earned a master of education degree from Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, in 1978. He has been a member of the National Association of College Directors of Athletics since 1992 and was a member of the Collegiate Athletic Business Managers Association from 1978-1992.

Bisonfan1234
02-05-2004, 02:34 PM
If you're getting an upgrade in your job, might as well take it.

Doesn't mean anything was wrong with your original job.

WYOBISONMAN
02-05-2004, 03:02 PM
UMASS is a classy institution. Seems like a reasonable move to me. Maybe the guy had family considerations that pushed him to move out east. It doesn't seem like a negative for either side.

Sac_State
02-05-2004, 03:14 PM
If you're getting an upgrade in your job, might as well take it.

Doesn't mean anything was wrong with your original job.

From one I-AA to another? From -15 degrees to 75 degrees with a panaramic view of the Pacific ocean as your backyard? Cost of living, while high in Cali, is out of sight in Mass.

Seems lateral to me, plus the negative is it leaves CPSLO w/o athletic leadership at a time of very intense budget battles and athletic funding questions.

As I said, good luck SLO.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-05-2004, 03:51 PM
I too would take a UMass AD job over a Cal Poly AD job. who would'nt ? Yes it's still 1AA football (heard rumblings that they may move up to 1A) but all the other sports are very high profile. I highly doubt this move dooms the new conference.

Sac_State
02-05-2004, 04:22 PM
I highly doubt this move dooms the new conference.

Don't give SLO that much credit. I didn't say anything about dooming the conference by the AD leaving. I said it is not a positive bit of news for CPSLO considering it is facing new budget cuts and a new conference for its independent football team. BTW, this new conference could be gone as fast as it went up.

Bison_Kent
02-05-2004, 04:24 PM
While football-wise it may appear as a lateral move, basketball-wise it is a big step up. UMass made it to the Final Four just 7 or 8 years ago and are always competitive playing in the Atlantic 10 Conference.

Also in the future, I believe UMass officials had talked talked about going to I-A in football and this could happen under his tenure.

To me, it is a step up. I doubt weather conditions really plays a role in most people's job decisions.

Sac_State
02-05-2004, 04:58 PM

To me, it is a step up. *I doubt weather conditions really plays a role in most people's job decisions. *

Wanna bet? Why do so many people live in California and not ND?

I was just in Providence, RI last weekend, believe me, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. -35 degrees is no environment for humans.

But, job decisions have been made for less reasons.

Bisonfan1234
02-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Obviously the move is about money.

Umass has hockey so i guaranty they have a big athletic budget.

WYOBISONMAN
02-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Hell, I moved from South Carolina to Wyoming.....trust me, for some of us weather is not a big deal.

D
02-05-2004, 07:12 PM
How stupid is this. It is a total upgrade going from Cal Poly-San Luis Obisbo to UMass. Lets see, the Big West or the Atlantic-10? Not a tough call at all. Very little attendence or sellouts? Reaching the conference tournament or reaching the NCAA tournament? A small fish in a huge pond or a big fish in a big pond? Being an athletic nobody or an athletic somebody? If he wouldn't have jumped ship I would really have some questions.

BisonWarrior
02-05-2004, 07:12 PM

I was just in Providence, RI last weekend, believe me, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. -35 degrees is no environment for humans.

Say what you will about ND and -35 ...my feeling is, it just keeps out the riff raff!

GoAgs
02-05-2004, 08:08 PM
The Cal Poly AD took a ton of heat for his two big coaching hires (MBB, FB). He was an associate AD at Boston College before being hired to SLO and his new contract is a huge raise over what he was making. Their University President is either retired or in the process of doing so and the new guy will want to bring in his own people.

89rabbit
02-05-2004, 08:13 PM

But, job decisions have been made for less reasons.

Ya, thats right, that is way the Biggest city in the Nation is in Sunny Cal. not Snowy New York . . .Oh wait *;) *UMass is a step up for sure.

ralph
02-06-2004, 07:48 AM
Yes, UMass is a step up. Time for mighty Cal Poly SLO to bring the heat.