PDA

View Full Version : Sac St adds 4,000 seats

Sac_State
02-08-2004, 03:23 PM
'Looking ahead II
McCasey, when asked what would be different about the 2004 Olympic Trials: "We won't lose any money."
The 2000 Trials here incurred $1 million in debt, a figure cut in half when the city and county of Sacramento elected to forgive a combined $500,000 in loans.

There will be a few changes for 2004. The most noticeable new wrinkle should be the additional 4,000 seats planned for the north side of Hornet Stadium, pushing capacity to around 27,000.'

Found into today's Sac Bee. The Olympic Trials are being held this July at Sac State's Hornet field.

89rabbit
02-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Sac,

Wow, lost a Million dollars last time (ok only $500,000 after the City and County forgave some debt). That is a lot of cash. I'm not sure I would want that event at my school. This is not smack, really wondering what is in it for Sac-State? Good luck with the event.

Sac_State
02-08-2004, 09:33 PM
That $$ was actually provided/lost by the state, IOC and local Sac Sports Assoc. Sac State had very limited financial exposure. Sac State provided the facilities, dorms and volunteers to work the event. The best payout of all for Sac State is exposure.

Its all cool. The event pumped in major $$ for the locals and Sac State ancillitory services. Then and now a local benefactor, Alex Spanos, NFL Chargers owner, has pumped about $5M into the stadium for everything from network lighting requirements, scoreboard, electrical substations, etc. to a 30 ft. gated entrance and two Mondo Olympic quality tracks. The $500K lost was for unexpected facility upgrades to the track and vending facilities.

The event will be once again attended by a ton of people and participants from the world over. Should be an exciting event for Sac State and Sacramento.

GoAgs
02-08-2004, 11:18 PM
I hope Sac State has a good football season next year but this isnt going to have anything to do with it. You get 4,000 more temporary steel bleachers for a week in July, big deal. And what FOOTBALL improvements have been made to the stadium since the Goldminers left? The lighting is improved and the scoreboard is new but has no video replay or anything that is an improvent for football. So $5 million to have a real nice track field.

And no that money wasn't "provided by the state." The Sacramento Sports commission is such a pathetic group of individuals that they were shockingly unable to deliver their promise of a profit (prices of corporate boxes were slashed in half in order to sell them all) so about half of their loans with the city of Sac and other municipalities were forgiven. We'll see if it was a novelty or if people really want to sit in 110 degree weather to watch the tripple jump.

Bisonfan1234
02-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Yeah....but TWO mondo tracks! I mean....damn!

Sac_State
02-08-2004, 11:57 PM
jealosy is an ugly creature. ;)

GoAgs
02-09-2004, 12:56 AM
jealosy is an ugly creature

That's rich. I'm so JEALOUS of your track field and your portable bleachers. You'll have a chance to see 4,000 more portable bleachers when UCD beats Sac again next year at the very portable Toomey Field.

http://www.uscaa.org/natls/2002/images/HornetStadium2(med).jpg

Bisonfan1234
02-09-2004, 04:27 AM
What's with the right track? It looks like it has 2 lanes...

Bisonguy
02-09-2004, 04:32 AM
What's with the right track? It looks like it has 2 lanes...

It's mondo. ;)

Sac_State
02-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Sac State has two tracks, competetion in the stadium and warm-up to the right of the facility.

GoAgs, I guess you didn't read the new Prez's message, they are making the temp parts of the stadium permanent.

Sac_State
02-09-2004, 01:23 PM
You'll have a chance to see 4,000 more portable bleachers when UCD beats Sac again next year at the very portable Toomey Field.

http://www.uscaa.org/natls/2002/images/HornetStadium2(med).jpg

You mean when Davis plays Sac State in Sac (as a home game) because Davis can't handle all of the Sac State crowd?

To learn more about the Olympic Trials,
http://www.sacsports.com/2004tf.html

GoAgs
02-10-2004, 06:58 PM
You mean when Davis plays Sac State in Sac (as a home game) because Davis can't handle all of the Sac State crowd

Well being that it is the biggest college athletic event of the year in Sacramento the game should probably be played in a stadium larger than 10,000. UCD had 12,000 fans including a dozen busloads full of students. Sac State was able to accumulate 4,000 fans for the long 3 mile journey down 99.

Our side was packed, your side had Mrs. Volek, Debbie Colberg and 7,000 empty seats.

http://media.statehornet.com/vimages/shared/vnews/stories/3d9ff2013e7ab-84-3.jpg