PDA

View Full Version : SDSU AD Oien in some legal trouble

Bison_Kent
02-11-2004, 08:44 AM
I just saw this in the Argus Leader. First off, I was shocked the man would do such a thing if true. Second, he was pretty good at taking time to talk to me about SDSU and its conference moves about two months ago.

I wish him well.

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Wednesdayarticle6.shtml

WYOBISONMAN
02-11-2004, 01:39 PM
This is not good news for SDSU. *Too bad. *On the bright side.....it is better than groping a cop in Omaha.....and NDSU bounced back from that with a better AD.

D
02-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Definetly not the negative press SDSU needs as it ventures forward. A bad reflection on the university and I don't know if the timing could have been worse. It doesn't look good.

JACKGUY
02-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Oh yes D the sky is dropping. You lurk around here for any little piece of negativity that you can find. Yes this is not the kind of press we need right now but its a personal situation for Dr. Oien. Our DI movement is beyond one person and we will get through this just fine. Why don't you worry more about how the fate of the NCC and DII.

D
02-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Oh yes D the sky is dropping. You lurk around here for any little piece of negativity that you can find. Yes this is not the kind of press we need right now but its a personal situation for Dr. Oien. Our DI movement is beyond one person and we will get through this just fine. Why don't you worry more about how the fate of the NCC and DII.

You're right, I rip into NDSU and SDSU all of the time here, constantly spewing negativity about each institution and especially their athletic programs. Nothing I wrote was incorrect. Were Entzion and Engelstead's issues private also then? No, none of the 3 problems are private, they are problems that the public should be concerned with. When the head representative of an athletic department is associated in any way with assaulting his wife, true or not, it does not leave a very good image of an athletic department. You can tell yourself it is a private matter until you are blue in the face, but that isn't the way it is.

JACKGUY
02-11-2004, 06:44 PM
So when you say "it doesn't look good" what are you speculating? Is SDSU all of a sudden gonna say lets shut her down. The AD is having some marital issues and we can't move forward on DI?

D
02-11-2004, 06:47 PM
So when you say "it doesn't look good" what are you speculating? Is SDSU all of a sudden gonna say lets shut her down. The AD is having some marital issues and we can't move forward on DI?

It doesn't look good for him as an individual. Having a change at the top right now would set things back a good 3 months at minimum.

Bison_Kent
02-11-2004, 07:22 PM
I may have to side with D on this one. All he said was that he won't help SDSU's cause in their movement to DI sports. I think we all can agree that this is true.

JACKGUY
02-11-2004, 07:34 PM
The direction to move DI is an institution decision and not an AD one soley. Where you come up with your 3 month delay assesment I don't know. Pure speculation.

D
02-11-2004, 08:01 PM
The direction to move DI is an institution decision and not an AD one soley. Where you come up with your 3 month delay assesment I don't know. Pure speculation.

The AD runs the athletic department, is one of the top dogs as far as fund raising drives, is the leazon (sp?) to the institutions conference (or getting into one), does countless other things that only he/she knows how/what to do at that respective institution. An AD gets canned, a nationwide search would take a minimum of 3 weeks otherwise takes the risk of selling itself short. New AD is hired, learns the ropes at the institution, is "trained in" of the schools practices, gets to know other AD's that should be known, has to do the dog and pony shows with alumni, and the list goes on. Having to hire an AD who will have to be outside of the institution (such as sould have to be the case at SDSU because of the unchartered and special situation it is currently in), I have no problem saying that it would set SDSU back a minimum of 3 months in regards to its goals, objectives, administrative duties in regards to going DI.

GiantBison12
02-11-2004, 09:14 PM
D's right, it is an unfortunate situation, and 3 months could easily become 5+.

IowaBison
02-11-2004, 09:17 PM
liaison

it takes a lot longer than 3 weeks to find an AD, probably six months to year, which is horrible ever since the NCAA prohibited colleges to compete during AD searches, in fact i believe that they are considering forcing the entire school to shut down, because without an AD nothing on campus gets done, athletically or otherwise

Sac_State
02-11-2004, 09:27 PM
:-X

Wow! And you guys were ripping on Wanless?

JACKGUY
02-11-2004, 09:28 PM
I believe SDSU should petition to go DIII or NAIA until the allegations against our AD are cleared or UND goes DI, whichever comes first. There certainly can't be anyone else in the administraton or connected with SDSU that could handle the job on an interim basis!

D
02-11-2004, 09:28 PM
liaison

it takes a lot longer than 3 weeks to find an AD, probably six months to year, which is horrible ever since the NCAA prohibited colleges to compete during AD searches, in fact i believe that they are considering forcing the entire school to shut down, because without an AD nothing on campus gets done, athletically or otherwise

:D *I know it takes longer then 3 weeks, I was putting it in world's record time so Jackguy could understand how it could only set things back 3 months if everything went absolutely flawlessly. *Is that really how liasion is spelled? *Whoever made that word could've spelled it a lot easier.

D
02-11-2004, 09:47 PM
I believe SDSU should petition to go DIII or NAIA until the allegations against our AD are cleared or UND goes DI, whichever comes first. There certainly can't be anyone else in the administraton or connected with SDSU that could handle the job on an interim basis!

No one is saying that this situation will prevent anything from getting done, it will just slow down the rate at which they are done.

WYOBISONMAN
02-11-2004, 09:48 PM
I suspect SDSU will continue to move forward to D1 just as if this had not happened. This is a move by the entire University. I do think, however, that the AD will wind up resigning....pure speculation of course...

Best of luck to the Jacks. I know you will continue to be a quality program!

jackmd
02-11-2004, 09:59 PM
D, Sac-State, etc..,

Fred doesn't need you guys, SDSU fans, or I to be worrying about his personal life. I'm sure based on some of your posts here and elsewhere that many of you have personal problems of your own to worry about. ;D ::)

That said, I am not aware of any precedent that will help us determine if this will deter the move to DI or not. No doubt it will be a distraction for Fred and he being so instrumental to the move will likely make things more difficult. I imagine this could lead to a delay in some of the aspects related to the move up.

Doesn't matter what Fred might have done, only matters what he did. Doesn't matter what might happen regarding the move to DI, only matters what does.

IowaBison
02-11-2004, 10:00 PM
I think back to when Entzion went trolling for prostitutes in Omaha, he had a lot of irons in the fire, but NDSU did just find in the transition. Dorn did a great job, with support from everyone else in athletics.

WYOBISONMAN
02-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Heck Iowa, I wish it was a prostitue.....but it was a male cop. :o *Whole damn thing still makes me scratch my head. *By the way.....anyone know what Entzion is up to these days?

D
02-11-2004, 10:17 PM
D, Sac-State, etc..,

Fred doesn't need you guys, SDSU fans, or I to be worrying about his personal life. *I'm sure based on some of your posts here and elsewhere that many of you have personal problems of your own to worry about. ;D ::)

I really don't care if he doesn't need me worrying about his personal life, Doc, because he made it a public situation. Th consequences should have been thought about before the alleged incident One of the things we need least in society is men physically abusing women, I don't care if it is UND's AD, NDSU's, or my Dad, it is a public issue in a society that doesn't put up with that kind of BS.

jackmd
02-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Its a personal issue and Mrs. Oien is the brave one who decided not to put up with the alleged B.S. (as you so eloquently put it, D). I doubt she's interested in your opinion or sympathy.

That said, you are entitled to your opinion as everyone is. The decision to pass judgement, make comments or speculate about this case (or any other not directly invoving the individual) are made by each person. However, the quality or relevance of any comments depend on that individuals own character, convictions and self-esteem. In all situations, before passing judgement or speaking about someone elses shortcomings, first reflect and determine what is causing you to be concerned and why you are making the statment. You might decide to keep you mouth shut. Especially when it does not directly involve you.

bisonaudit
02-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Asside from the PR issues it creates for the university what does any of this have to do with Mr. Oien's ability to do his job?

Do you think he's more or less likely to lose his job than you thought Entizon was a day after that bombshell hit the papers?

Liaison is French, they make everything difficult.

IowaBison
02-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Bob's selling backpacks out of Duluth.

www.startribune.com/stories/539/3733703.html

SDSUFAN
02-12-2004, 03:12 AM
I think its way too early to speculate what the SDSU adminstration should do or will do relating to the Oien incident.

I dont think you can begin to compare this situation with Dr. Enztroin case at NDSU for two reasons, one Bison Bob as he was called prior to the Omaha incident had also been charged with public intoxication after the Fargo Police found him intoxicated and sleeping in his car outside a Fargo bar. As I recall from the Fargo Forum reports, Dr *Bob Enztrion was given the opportunity by the NDSU Admin to get help with his drinking problem and as I read in the Forum, Dr Bob did just that and was allowed to continue as AD up until his incident in Omaha.

The second reason as I recall was that Dr Chapman was very surprised with the letter of resignation, and no matter the outcome in Omaha, I honestly think that Dr Chapman would have given DR Bob another chance. *The resignation was Dr Bob's choice and no one else's.

Dr Oien probably has no more than speeding tickets on his record. Other than what the police reports have said and the Argus article, we really can not second guess Dr. Miller on how she will handle this matter. *I dont see her asking for a resignation. *I do think whether Fred can weather the storm and continue as a personal choice will have a big factor on its outcome. *I honestly believe he will be given every opportunity to take care of this matter and he will be allowed to continue on if that is his choice and that choice may require counceling etc.

The suggestion of resignation being required as an outcome, may be very premature. Lets wait and see.

I am not a defender of domestic violence, and to say Dr Oien should have known better is kind of a presumptions conclusion.

I dont know all thats going on in *Fred's life and I dont know what going on any else's life except for my own and even that creates head scratching. ;D

Believe me its not fun reading about someone who you respect very much to be a subject of an article of this nature that appear in today's Argus Leader. As far as the Argus is concerned this is news, and the reason it is news, is that the largest newpaper in sports has had the opportunity to play three D2 schools off against each other and SDSU moving to D1AA kind of messes up that good thing as they preceive it. I believe in the Bill of Rights so no complaints the Argus for their reporting.

Sac_State
02-12-2004, 01:24 PM
:D * *Whoever made that word could've spelled it a lot easier.

Blame the French!

Sac_State
02-12-2004, 01:32 PM
D, Sac-State, etc..,

Fred doesn't need you guys, SDSU fans, or I to be worrying about his personal life. *I'm sure based on some of your posts here and elsewhere that many of you have personal problems of your own to worry about. ;D ::)

That said, I am not aware of any precedent that will help us determine if this will deter the move to DI or not. *No doubt it will be a distraction for Fred and he being so instrumental to the move will likely make things more difficult. *I imagine this could lead to a delay in some of the aspects related to the move up.

Doesn't matter what Fred might have done, only matters what he did. *Doesn't matter what might happen regarding the move to DI, only matters what does.

I could really care less about Oien and his personal issues. My remark was based on the NDSU people ripping Terry Wanless because he didn't see eye to eye with Eggstand and that made Wanless a 'evil' person.

Spouse abuse is BS. When you are a public figure, paid with public funds, the issue is magnified. Sounds like this Oien needs to attend anger management classes.

This was the first public report of his actions. Typically, an illegal act is a pattern. What else does he do behind closed doors? I don't care how mad you get, go for a drive, go for a smoke outside to cool down, but NEVER hit a woman.

It's -20 degrees outside in SD, bet he could have cooled down fast by going outside and walking away.

And yes, SDSU is bigger than Oien.

It took a lot of courage of Mrs. Oien to come forward publically. Either the environment got too bad at home, or the attack was more severe than being reported.

You don't just ruin your life and your husbands life/career because you are a little upset. It takes a BIG event to necessitate calling the cops and going public.

somebison
02-12-2004, 10:36 PM
By the way.....anyone know what Entzion is up to these days?

Is he back in Fargo

Fargo police arrest two in prostitution sting
(http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=50122)

Bisonguy
02-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Is he back in Fargo

Fargo police arrest two in prostitution sting
(http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=50122)

Those were women ::)

89rabbit
02-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Kids, kids, kids. . . not an attorney but I did go to law school. *In this country a suspect is presumed innocent until proven guilty. *Many of you have passed judgement based on a newspaper article, and taken the next step of Dr. Oien being fired or resigning, beyond that you have surmised that this will bring about the down fall of SDSU's move to D-I. *If I recall correctly from my psychology classes, I think they call that catastrophesing. *NOT GOOD. *:(

This all seems a bit premature. *Let's let events unfold and see where they lead us. *I will say this, it has been my experience, that any multi-million dollar operation (like a Universities' athletics Dept.) is never a one man show. *So I think everyone can rest assured, that even though this event is unfortunate, SDSU will move ahead with its plans to reclassify with the NCAA to become D-I. *Its all going to be OK.