PDA

View Full Version : Fieldturf?

Bisonfan1234
10-29-2003, 05:01 PM
What do you guys think about getting Fieldturf (or something to that affect...the same stuff that Montana and Augustana have on their fields) in the dome and/or on the practice fields? An then they could put the stuff that's in the dome now on dacotah field so they could still practice on that old-style turf if needed.

Might be expensive but it could be done. The Georgia Dome, for example, has fieldturf.

somebison
10-29-2003, 05:52 PM
It would be nice, I beleive the metrodome is installing field turf (I think the brand is NexTurf) for about $650,000. If Dacotah field is going to be used for anything, something should be done about the turf, I don't know when it was installed but I played some high school games there in the mid-90's and it was horrible back then (very hard and crusty- very matted down). I don't know if field turf is feasible, but if it is I all for it.

Bisonguy
10-29-2003, 07:36 PM
I would question the durability of the FieldTurf type products in a multi-use facility like the Fargodome. I believe the Magic Carpet turf at the Fargodome is only in it's second season. With the FieldTurf you have all those rubber pellets on it. What happens to those when you roll up the turf to get it off the floor?

Bisonguy
10-29-2003, 07:41 PM
Oh yeah,

Cost is another issue. I could maybe see when the dome's turf has a couple more years on it to install new and put the current turf on Dacotah Field. The practice fields need to stay grass. All this new turf stuff is great, but it still isn't grass. It tries to imitate grass, but it still is not grass and there will be plenty of games the Bison need to prepare for on a natural surface.

BisonBizzo
10-29-2003, 10:12 PM
Wouldn't you be able to roll up fieldturf also? If it is at places like the Georgiadome and Fordfield

Bisonfan1234
10-30-2003, 01:37 AM
First of all, why is grass so much better? At this time of the year *grass is NOT soft*. It's more like concrete. Fieldturf, on the other hand, is still soft (more so if a pad is underneith).

How can you question the durabilty when it is being isntalled in places like the Georgia dome, Ford field, and the Metrodome?!? The Fargodome has far less non-football events than those.

Lastly, i don't think it's possible to roll up fieldturf because of the infill system. However, i don't think it's necessary to roll it up. Rather, just placing boards down and taping them together is suficient enough for any non-football events (minus monster trucks or something like that). Or perhaps it is possible to roll it up...who knows.

Bisonguy
10-30-2003, 01:55 AM
Frozen dirt has always had more give to it than frozen concrete or the frozen padding under turf. Maybe this generation of turf is better, but in my experience turf was never better or even close to grass. The turf manufacturers have continually made the claim that the new product is as good as grass.

I was just taking a guess that if the FieldTurf is rolled up that the infill will no longer be consistently spread upon the turf.

FieldTurf is brand new. Let everyone that needs new turf be the guinea pigs. Let them put a few seasons on it. If it's still the best product on the market and the Fargodome actually needs new turf, they should get it.

roadwarrior
10-30-2003, 03:00 AM
I read an article in the Tribune about the new turf that will be installed in the Metrodome before next year's baseball season. This new type of turf cannot be rolled up and stored somewhere out of the way. When an event needs a hard floor, the floor will be placed on top of the turf. This was part of the cost consideration when the Metrodome was deciding on what type of turf to install.

The magic carpet turf at the Fargodome has only been there for 2 to 3 years, so I dont look for a change for several years at the earliest.

roadwarrior
10-30-2003, 03:02 AM
p.s.

The original turf at the Fargodome was a USED carpet purchased from Texas Christian University.

Bisonfan1234
10-30-2003, 04:06 AM
Frozen dirt has always had more give to it than frozen concrete or the frozen padding under turf. Maybe this generation of turf is better, but in my experience turf was never better or even close to grass. The turf manufacturers have continually made the claim that the new product is as good as grass.

I was just taking a guess that if the FieldTurf is rolled up that the infill will no longer be consistently spread upon the turf.

FieldTurf is brand new. Let everyone that needs new turf be the guinea pigs. Let them put a few seasons on it. If it's still the best product on the market and the Fargodome actually needs new turf, they should get it.

It's obvious that you think grass is best no matter what and nothing will ever compare. Grass this time of year sucks! Fieldturf is WAY better.

Also, fieldturf has been around for a while. Wayzata High School in the Cities has had it's fieldturf for 4 years and they say it's still in perfect shape.

Bisonfan1234
10-30-2003, 04:08 AM
I read an article in the Tribune about the new turf that will be installed in the Metrodome before next year's baseball season. *This new type of turf cannot be rolled up and stored somewhere out of the way. *When an event needs a hard floor, the floor will be placed on top of the turf. *This was part of the cost consideration when the Metrodome was deciding on what type of turf to install.

The magic carpet turf at the Fargodome has only been there for 2 to 3 years, so I dont look for a change for several years at the earliest.

Ok i didn't think it could be rolled up. If nothing else, the Fargodome won't get fieldturf for a while because the magic carpet is only a couple years old. I just have to say, the old-style astro-turf is almost completly worthless compared to this new stuff.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
10-31-2003, 12:05 AM
My local high school put it on one of their practice fields last year. It is awesome, I run on the track surrounding it and sometimes walk on the turf it is soft, you bouce when you walk on it, I've never played on it but I would think it would be very nice during any time of the year.

wsuwarrior
10-31-2003, 06:26 AM
We have FieldTurf (well, AstroPlay) here at Winona State. I love it. It was put in before the start of the 2000 season, and it's still look and feels fantastic.

I'm convinced that this is the future of football fields.

somebison
02-16-2004, 04:34 PM
looks like all is not well in the land of milk and honey that is Field Turf... the company installing it in the metrodome has filed for bankruptcy

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=50386

Bisonfan1234
02-16-2004, 09:33 PM
SRI sports filed for bankruptcy.

So what? IMO SRI had bitten off more than they could chew (not only installing turf, but tracks and a variety of other surfaces).

The important thing is that Fieldturf and Sprinturf (as well as others) are perfectly fine.

The metrodome will simply switch to a different company or SRI will continue its obilgation to the Dome and install its surface.

JACKGUY
02-16-2004, 10:50 PM
That's what the Vikings get for choosing the lowest cost provider. Maybe a reason why they were getting the winning bids was undercutting the competition to the point they were not making any money.

89rabbit
02-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Econ. 101 ;)

Bisonfan1234
02-16-2004, 11:22 PM
That's what the Vikings get for choosing the lowest cost provider. Maybe a reason why they were getting the winning bids was undercutting the competition to the point they were not making any money.

It was going to effect the Vikings, Twins, and UMN. All had a say in what surface they wanted. They all felt that the modified Astroplay was best (Fieldturf even tried to sue) so they chose them.