PDA

View Full Version : Name that Conference

tony
04-15-2003, 03:15 PM
If NDSU and Northern Colorado and the rest form a conference, it's going to need a name. Any ideas?

Bison_Kent
04-15-2003, 03:26 PM
How about the Heartland Pacific as it will have mostly teams in the Midwest and on the California Pacific coast?

Charger
04-15-2003, 05:17 PM
How about "Bigger Sky"

WYOBISONMAN
04-15-2003, 07:10 PM
Since it is Western conference (I do consider the Dakotas the west and not the midwest) I would call it the "Western Sky" or perhaps "The Great West".

BisonMav
04-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Western Pacific Conference
Central Pacific Conference

BisonInTexas
04-16-2003, 06:29 PM
The Wild Wild West Football Conference, or the WWF for short. ;D

tony
04-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Great Western maybe?

SDSUFAN
04-16-2003, 07:10 PM
I like Tony's Great Western, but maybe Greater Northwestern Conference would separate it from the D2 conference of Western Washington and the Oregan schools. * I believe they call their conference Great Northwest and includes the Alaska and Hiawii schools for basketball.

Since the members of the proposed conference are both west and north I think Greater Northwestern would work. The work Greater gives the correct assuption namely area.

griz2thecore
04-16-2003, 07:57 PM
see this thread for more ideas on conference names:
http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/viewtopic.php?t=1224&postdays=0&postorder=asc&star t=0

tony
04-16-2003, 09:18 PM
Griz fans, always helpful :).

Great Western is WYOBISONMAN's idea, I just added "ern" to it.

SDSUFAN
04-17-2003, 04:23 AM
The thread that the Griz fan cited is a real insult to SDSU, NDSU and UNC. First the Big Sky is cool on moving into the Dakotas and maybe that is understandable from an administrative point, but for the Griz fans to taunt and point fingers about former NCC members trying to form a new conference is arrogance at its best. I rest my case.

Paulie
04-18-2003, 01:33 AM
I agree that the taunting is lame, it serves as evidence that they have a bit of an inferiority complex after watching a school like Boise State go from their conference to the WAC and win games. It's all relative, I'm a UNC alumni but spent 2 years at Colorado State, so does that entitle me to laugh at Montana's pathetic I-AA program and laugh about how small time it is and that it can't hang with the DI boys? It's not worth the effort, and in today's world I respect any school that's not only keeping their football program but working to improve it. Montana fans should be happy to see more wesern schools join the mix, it only makes thier program stronger in the long run.

tony
04-18-2003, 02:24 PM
I thought the taunting on the Montana board was good natured - maybe because I've got so many Montana relatives who used to love to wind me up.

Doesn't hurt to laugh at ourselves every once in a while.

JBB
04-18-2003, 08:24 PM
I thought it was a little out of line, but they deserve that. They are at the top of the heap and we are at the bottom. Why not scorn the new conference? ??? I just hope the BSC teams come through with the scheduling opportunities we need. They didn't let us in, but a lot of help and guidance including scheduling was promised. I hope the Montana schools are now on the schedule forever and I hope we get our fill of all the rest of the BSC with a bunch of home/homes over the next 10 yrs. I would also like to play DI Idaho, Minnesota, Nebraska, BYU, Troy state and Wisconsin.

WYOBISONMAN
12-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Since a guy named KingCal on another board is taking credit for coining the name "Great West Conference".....I would encourage all to reread this thread and see where the name Great West came from way back in April....... :D ;D ;D :D

Bisonguy
12-02-2003, 10:46 PM
WYOBISONMAN,

You were the first to state "Great West" conference in the context of what we are talking about. There was a Great West conference for hok-kee that ended in 98. It also appears that some others have considered using the name: -LINK (http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/1998/Oct-03-Sat-1998/sports/8334813.html)

It was there where Mountain West Conference was selected over two other names -- Great West Conference and American West Conference. The decision was based largely on the league's desire to have the word "Mountain" incorporated into the name because six of the eight members are located in the Mountain time zone.

Oh well. Their loss, our gain ;D

BisonMav
12-03-2003, 02:59 PM
CollegeSportsInfo.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 2, 2003 @ 10:42 AM
Yes, they very much are. Ideally, NDSU, SDSU and N. Colorado are hoping to gain full admission into the Mid-Con. Since Southern Utah is currently a member, the hope is that the Mid-Con will run the league. UCD, Cal-Poly, and St. Mary's would join as football-only members. Mid-Con football would greatly increase the chances of the NDSU, SDSU and N. Colorado gaining full membership. And once some semblence of profit is made by sponsoring football, the 4 football schools would be able to get some more leverage regarding future Mid-Con dealings.
It's by no means a longshot...it is actually a preference right now. We won't know for a couple of weeks if the Mid-Con will have any interest. They'll probably need to see some fiscal projections, but form all records thus far, the football members seem willing to pay the Mid-Continent to manage the league.
This was a post on the I-AA board. Would the Mid-Con want to add their name to the football only conference, if they are the ones managing it? Like the post said, it would be a great leverage for the non-football sports.

uncbear
12-03-2003, 05:11 PM
I like the idea of just adding football to the MId-Con. Maybe joining an established conference would encourage NDSU and SDSU to stay put and not continue to try for the Big Sky.

IowaBison
12-03-2003, 05:49 PM
I think that we are going a little too far concerning what we should have a conference that we aren't even a member do.

There is nothing wrong with a football only conference, the Gateway is doing just fine.

NDSU_grad
12-03-2003, 06:25 PM
This was a post on the I-AA board. *Would the Mid-Con want to add their name to the football only conference, if they are the ones managing it? *Like the post said, it would be a great leverage for the non-football sports.

I think the Missouri Valley manages the Gateway, so having Mid-Con in the name shouldn't be an issue.

Bisonguy
02-24-2004, 04:32 AM
Reviving this old dinosaur so we can see if anybody was right on wednesday.

My money's on WYOBISONMAN. ;D ;D

Bisonfan1234
02-24-2004, 01:35 PM
ESPN doesn't know for sure...they're just calling it the "Great West".

I'm hoping for the Heartland Pacific.

Herd_Mentality
02-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Think we could call the new conference "UND Not Allowed" ???

WYOBISONMAN
02-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Hey Bisonguy.....ya think if they go with "Great West" I could get some Royalty out of it? ;)

collegesportsinfo
02-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Since a guy named KingCal on another board is taking credit for coining the name "Great West Conference".....I would encourage all to reread this thread and see where the name Great West came from way back in April....... :D ;D ;D :D

It's called "Parallel Writing" when common ideas are originated by different people...happens alot in comedy. I started a thread on a new I-AA conference on my site back in March, before the Florida meetings, regarding the new league (http://ncaasports.proboards10.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=misc&num=1068732482 &start=0). In another thread I nominated "Great West Conference" as my preference, but that that one seems to have been lost when all the new forums were added and threads moved to their new homes. No harm, no foul. One thing is for sure, none of us figured they'd include the word "Football" in the name. Seems like they'd be able to get more out of "Great West Conference" like the acronym "GWC" rather than "Great West Football Conference" or "GWFC"...but that's just my opinion. It's good that the league finally will have an official identity so that there can be some successful marketing for the league and all the schools. It will be interesting to see what the Big Sky does. Becasue it could really mess up the GWFC if 2 schools leave for the Big Sky.

Tuk
02-24-2004, 10:48 PM
How about this:

the Great Western Conference
(subtitle) NO SIOUXAGE ALLOWED

just kidding Sioux fans, I know you are in DII and can't play us anymore. :) Can't wait tho.....whatever the name will be.