PDA

View Full Version : How many in Great West?

Bisonguy
02-26-2004, 03:10 AM
Are there really seven members in the Great West, or, as somebison proposed on another board, St. Mary's is just an imaginary school?-http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/8037715.htm

Posted on Wed, Feb. 25, 2004
Gaels football hesitant on conference affiliation

CONTRA COSTA TIMES AND WIRE REPORTS

College notes

Six universities are scheduled to announce today their inclusion in a new seven-team Division I-AA football conference. The lone dissenter is St. Mary's.

Late last year, a goal date of Feb. 24 was set for St. Mary's, UC Davis, Cal Poly, Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, North Dakota and South Dakota to finalize the details for the Great West Football Conference, which begins play in 2004. The Gaels are the only school not to have a news conference scheduled for today.

St. Mary's athletic director Carl Clapp wouldn't elaborate on the reason for his school's hesitation.

"There are further conversations that need to occur," Clapp said.

A representative from the UC Davis athletic department said the school plans to introduce St. Mary's as one of the seven schools during its announcement. The Gaels also are included on the conference's Web site, www.greatwestfootball.com.

But whether St. Mary's will indeed join the conference is currently unknown.

-- Marcus Thompson II, Times staff

WYOBISONMAN
02-26-2004, 03:14 AM
I read that article too...makes me wonder what is up with that...

Bisonguy
02-26-2004, 03:21 AM
Maybe if the St. Mary's AD made it to the meetings instead of sending the assistant AD, the "further conversations" would have occurred ::)

89rabbit
02-26-2004, 03:27 AM
That is interesting, although my first reaction is . . .who cares. Join, don't join it really dosen't matter. They have Morningside written all over them. On the other hand it would be nice to have the extra team as far as an auto playoff bid goes. I think they will get on board.

Go SDSU!
Go Great West Football Conf!

Bisonguy
02-26-2004, 03:34 AM
89rabbit,

You only need six teams in a conference for autobids other than BB.

89rabbit
02-26-2004, 04:00 AM
I know, that is why I called SMC an EXTRA team. Just nice to have one more then you need. ;)

Bisonguy
02-26-2004, 04:17 AM
I thought you meant they were needed for an autobid. Oh, well. ;)

uncbear
02-26-2004, 02:32 PM
You can't really blame Saint Mary's for being so afraid. Signing onto this conference basically assures them of 6 losses.

somebison
02-27-2004, 06:30 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/columnists/index.cfm?page=article&id=51517&columnist=jeffkolp ack